Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Give that rainforest chic.

I bought way too many electric desktop fountains in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this image from a 24000 piece puzzle is at least a few of them merged together:

Incidentally, Karenpuzzles on youtube just finished putting it together, and showed off the completed thing in someone's studio.It is ginormous

https://twitter.com/karenpuzzles/status/1424762317212839938?s=20

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pastry of the Year posted:

I bought way too many electric desktop fountains in the 90s.

the “leisure suit Larry” Spencer’s Gifts kind or the “corporate zen” Bed Bath & Beyond kind?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

the “leisure suit Larry” Spencer’s Gifts kind or the “corporate zen” Bed Bath & Beyond kind?

I don't know which one is less embarrassing, but corporate zen. One was very similar to this:

That poo poo you aptly described as corporate zen was absolute catnip for me as a teenager and I could not tell you why.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's the perfect mix of 80s hifi design and 90s environmentalism

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm guessing the revival was more because they figured out how to make more colors by using gasses other than neon.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I don't know which one is less embarrassing, but corporate zen. One was very similar to this:

That poo poo you aptly described as corporate zen was absolute catnip for me as a teenager and I could not tell you why.

because you were vaguely unhappy, unsatisfied, and stressed by society/the human condition and you sought relief of the soul in the only way that marketers told you that you could—the day spa playing Buddha Bar remixes of Enya and Moby tracks.

but since you couldn’t afford that you were going to bring the experience home for $24.99.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ok Comboomer posted:

because you were vaguely unhappy, unsatisfied, and stressed by society/the human condition and you sought relief of the soul in the only way that marketers told you that you could—the day spa playing Buddha Bar remixes of Enya and Moby tracks.

but since you couldn’t afford that you were going to bring the experience home for $24.99.

Whoa there big slender, that's $43.48 in 2021 bux.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It’s also a prerequisite to have that and that stupid little box of sand with the rake at every franchise spa to this day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

It’s also a prerequisite to have that and that stupid little box of sand with the rake at every franchise spa to this day.

look man, you're just like Paul Allen thinking about technology in his $50 million Japanese garden compound in a full-page spread for WIRED magazine when you bust out your Brookstone(R) desktop zen sand garden. You'll be meditating up which hot dot-com stocks to put your Blockbuster paycheck into, while you install the latest updates for Windows 95. Can't wait for Win98 to drop, right? Start Me Up!(tm). As you listen to your wall-mounted CD player with tasteful clear glass display door ($250, sharper-image.com) spin Putamayo Presents: South Asian Woman Song (Putamayo World Music, 1996. $15, borders.com) in your Seattle apartment, you'll receive the divine wisdom courtesy of the badly veneered 3" x 10" particleboard box filled with ultrafine sand, collection of small stones, and tiny balsa rake. Make surprisingly fun patterns to your heart's content until you inevitably 1) get a bunch of hair and dust and crap in the sand, making it gross 2) knock the whole thing on the floor

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I feel like some of that stuff was an outgrowth of executive desk toys from the 80's.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Ok Comboomer posted:

As you listen to your wall-mounted CD player with tasteful clear glass display door

Don't you dare mock this pinnacle of design :argh:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
e: ^^^

Ok Comboomer posted:

look man, you're just like Paul Allen thinking about technology in his $50 million Japanese garden compound in a full-page spread for WIRED magazine when you bust out your Brookstone(R) desktop zen sand garden. You'll be meditating up which hot dot-com stocks to put your Blockbuster paycheck into, while you install the latest updates for Windows 95. Can't wait for Win98 to drop, right? Start Me Up!(tm). As you listen to your wall-mounted CD player with tasteful clear glass display door ($250, sharper-image.com) spin Putamayo Presents: South Asian Woman Song (Putamayo World Music, 1996. $15, borders.com) in your Seattle apartment, you'll receive the divine wisdom courtesy of the badly veneered 3" x 10" particleboard box filled with ultrafine sand, collection of small stones, and tiny balsa rake. Make surprisingly fun patterns to your heart's content until you inevitably 1) get a bunch of hair and dust and crap in the sand, making it gross 2) knock the whole thing on the floor

I can't believe they kept that CD player for almost the whole run of Nip/Tuck. I kept expecting them to replace it but it was so iconic after a while.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I can guarantee you it was nowhere near $250 when it was new. I think I'm on my fourth or fifth now, I keep selling them, but I just can't help myself from buying them when a cheap one pops up.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

doctorfrog posted:

I feel like some of that stuff was an outgrowth of executive desk toys from the 80's.

It was like assault weapons in the late 70s. The intended market is no longer buying so they had to create a new market to unload all this faulty merchandise.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

https://cari.institute/aesthetics

A friend in discord posted this site when I stole that design aesthetics alignment chart and this site rules so loving much. Obviously it isnt only about 90s aesthetics but all of them are there and goddamn its amazing to me how much I adore Utopian Scholastic yet despise its older brother Frasurbane.

Also For some reason Zen X just does not work for me, just the brownest poo poo.

remusclaw has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Aug 14, 2021

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I’m on a Doctor Who kick at the moment, and the classic era series was cancelled in 1989. The Paul McGann 8th Doctor movie happened in 1995 and we thought it meant a possible reboot, but that didn’t happen until 2005.

So let’s talk about 1993…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQCeMIQpFBc

A Children in Need (annual UK charity telethon) reunited the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th Doctors, along with a ton of the companions (including 1st Doctor’s granddaughter Susan) and took them on a little overlapping time romp. In 3D.

What makes it weird? They’re doing a crossover with soap opera Eastenders. And this is kinda sorta canon as one of the Who novels talks about a “bad dream” he had once where he was chased around a soap opera.

This is somehow a terrible episode of Doctor Who, while also being a brilliant part of Doctor Who history, and it’s just so bizarre it is peak 90s.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
There was also a rumor of Rowan Atkinson as the Doctor. Someone saw it at a Con! I totally heard about it! Turned out to be for another charity, Comic Relief
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM
Thanks to the internet we can watch it whenever we want. Thing is, its only slightly sillier than Doctor Who was in its later years.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I always thought the Paul McGann thing was one of thosr weird scifi tvmovies Fox kept putting out periodically, like White Dwarf.
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0114926/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

remusclaw posted:

https://cari.institute/aesthetics

A friend in discord posted this site when I stole that design aesthetics alignment chart and this site rules so loving much. Obviously it isnt only about 90s aesthetics but all of them are there and goddamn its amazing to me how much I adore Utopian Scholastic yet despise its older brother Frasurbane.

Also For some reason Zen X just does not work for me, just the brownest poo poo.

Imagine a hospital in Memphis-Milano https://cari.institute/aesthetics/memphis-milano

I've seen it. It was also the worst hospital in town.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

This picture gave me a violently strong memory of thinking it was cool to cover my arm in tiny stamp “tattoos” that would immediately smear everywhere. I also used kool-aid to color my hair. No, I won’t be using the app for my order today; just a large number five with sweet sour sauce and a coke please.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I was always disappointed when I saw markers like that. Usually when they diverge from the typical crayola markings, it’s because they had some extra gimmick.

I always thought those stamp markers would be scented, but what i was expecting was Mr. Sketch brand scented markers.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
had to press down absolutely perfectly for those things to work right

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Busket Posket posted:

This picture gave me a violently strong memory of thinking it was cool to cover my arm in tiny stamp “tattoos” that would immediately smear everywhere. I also used kool-aid to color my hair. No, I won’t be using the app for my order today; just a large number five with sweet sour sauce and a coke please.

I was an anxiety ridden mess as a kid and needed things to be as even as possible in all respects. I had a set of these but refused to use them because there were not all shapes in all colors.

WHAT IF I WANT A RED EXCLIMATION POINT?!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mlnhd posted:

I was always disappointed when I saw markers like that. Usually when they diverge from the typical crayola markings, it’s because they had some extra gimmick.

I always thought those stamp markers would be scented, but what i was expecting was Mr. Sketch brand scented markers.

Mr. Sketch was always my ideal for a marker.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

mlnhd posted:

My set came in this red plastic suitcase. Seems like everything came in suitcases:

I had a vinyl case sort of like that, I remember the plastic trays. But more importantly my great-grandma knitted a case with plastic canvas.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/perpetua/status/1428021735476056073?s=20

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Guy Axlerod posted:

My set came in this red plastic suitcase. Seems like everything came in suitcases:

I had a vinyl case sort of like that, I remember the plastic trays. But more importantly my great-grandma knitted a case with plastic canvas.

I had one of those for these little matchbox-like airplanes (really high quality die-cast metal, they were nice). It unbottoned to flatten out into the map of an airport, and part could be re-buttoned differently to become a control tower.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

I love the super saturated late 90s look. Takes me straight back to primary school. Blasting colours and faces completely devoid of lines.

I remember the first time I saw a photo of Shirley Manson that wasn’t completely blown out I didn’t recognise her as the same person.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

mlnhd posted:

I think these taught all the little kids in the early 90s (and maybe earlier idk) to sniff every marker they came across. Then the universe had to course correct so you started running into markers with nasty odorants in the late 90s.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Creature posted:

I love the super saturated late 90s look. Takes me straight back to primary school. Blasting colours and faces completely devoid of lines.

I remember the first time I saw a photo of Shirley Manson that wasn’t completely blown out I didn’t recognise her as the same person.

Every era has its own toxic beauty standards, but I legitimately ugly as a teen if a photo showed my face to have any kind of detail in the late 90s as it made my face "too busy".

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The Moon Monster posted:

I think these taught all the little kids in the early 90s (and maybe earlier idk) to sniff every marker they came across. Then the universe had to course correct so you started running into markers with nasty odorants in the late 90s.

Wait - markers don't just naturally smell like death??

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

browsing One Terabyte of Kilobyte Age and loving how many edgy young things made entire, elaborate websites about themselves and their interests, and capped them off with splash pages that said "gently caress you, don't read this, go away"

just crackling late 90s surly-rear end energy

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

browsing One Terabyte of Kilobyte Age and loving how many edgy young things made entire, elaborate websites about themselves and their interests, and capped them off with splash pages that said "gently caress you, don't read this, go away"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

If you've not played Hypnospace Outlaw, you should. It's literally 90's Internet: The Game.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aqua did the theme song for a 90s romcom where Gwyneth Paltrow is British again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls0WfopgR9k

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Parkingtigers posted:

I’m on a Doctor Who kick at the moment
Was that Rose's mum for like a minute? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Gotta get that hit counter cred.