Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SweetBro posted:

It would be nice if you named your civilization and that was used as a primary identifier much like how you can create a flag/avatar.

Yea agreed. It's cool to change civs through the era's, but there should be a primary identifier beyond the flag/color that persists. I started out with the +1 land-movement people then went to Rome and then went on a conquering spree. I gotta say the Roman Legions are extremely powerful and I was 100-0ing almost everything I fought. They have a guaranteed rear attack if they have a legion next to them, plus the romans can put one more unit in their armies which early in the game is a huge deal. I've been a bit disappointed in Cavalry so far, but I haven't explored any of the "hoard" mechanics yet. I just unlocked Teutonic Knights, but I think i'm going to restart and checkout some different map options. Water travel has been a slog.

As for trading, is there any reason not to just buy everyone's luxury resources ASAP assuming you have the money? The trading mechanics seem interesting, but also a pretty binary choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don’t think so. Trade could use some tweaks for sure. Either a soft cap to incoming trade routes like the city cap, scaling cost, diplomacy maluses...something. In my current game I’m in the middle of a three person continent so it’s cheap to trade with the factions on either side of me and pretty expensive for them to trade with each other so I just have loads of luxury imports available for very little money.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

How many times will a defeated civilization spawn in 4 scouts? All available land is taken but they keep spawning in when I murder them.

edit: Welp this resolved itself in a stupid way. Four more scouts spawned, the war immediately ended and now they're my vassal with no cities or outposts just four guys.

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 18, 2021

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Experienced a couple of minor bugs ('you're about to lose this war' against someone I'm allied with) but really this is giving me all the good Civ feelings for the first time in a very long time. I like a whole lot about it and with a few months of polish I'm very hopeful for the longevity of this game.

vvv That's wild, I had a completely different experience. That said I wasn't trying to play optimally but just to mess around and see how things develop, which is how I'd rather play a Civ-type game anyways

Mozi fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 18, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

After an hour I have to say; love the visuals and presentation in this game but hate the game.

I've restarted a few times now because I keep getting starts with no explorable sites in the early game and after 5 new starts where I didn't get to choose my neolithic culture because I was not finding animals, food, or influence sites at all and was the last one to pick, I've realized that this game is going to feel like poo poo all the way through because it's going to be a constant struggle to perfect your build orders and praying for RNG in order to just even have control over what culture you play as.

It's like that early game rush in Civ to found the first religion so you can get one of the 1-2 good pantheon bonuses, except an entire game centered around that concept, and that just made me nope out incredibly hard and refund it

Mozi posted:

vvv That's wild, I had a completely different experience. That said I wasn't trying to play optimally but just to mess around and see how things develop, which is how I'd rather play a Civ-type game anyways

I wasn't trying to play optimally either, I didn't even make it to the point of the game where you turn outposts into cities because on all 5 games I started even with 2-3 separate units running around exploring, I was always the last one to pick a neolithic culture because I literally could not find the exploration sites or animals I needed to get that first star :shrug: As someone who restarts in 4x games constantly I can tell I won't have fun with this one

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 18, 2021

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Ugh, I had a very similar thing happen in the last beta, but the combat system drives me mad.

My neighbor became the Huns and I started reinforcing my border city to protect it. I had two four stacks hanging out separated by a single hex. A Hun stack of 4 came out of the fog and attacked. For some reason it sucked in all his reinforcements hiding in the fog so he had 12 units of overpowered Hun horses, and didn't bring in my second stack so that I only had 4 units in combat. Then all his units move first, attack twice(?), take no damage because they're ranged and just stackwipe me and take zero damage.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

After an hour I have to say; love the visuals and presentation in this game but hate the game.

I've restarted a few times now because I keep getting starts with no explorable sites in the early game and after 5 new starts where I didn't get to choose my neolithic culture because I was not finding animals, food, or influence sites at all and was the last one to pick, I've realized that this game is going to feel like poo poo all the way through because it's going to be a constant struggle to perfect your build orders and praying for RNG in order to just even have control over what culture you play as.

It's like that early game rush in Civ to found the first religion so you can get one of the 1-2 good pantheon bonuses, except an entire game centered around that concept, and that just made me nope out incredibly hard and refund it

I wasn't trying to play optimally either, I didn't even make it to the point of the game where you turn outposts into cities because on all 5 games I started even with 2-3 separate units running around exploring, I was always the last one to pick a neolithic culture because I literally could not find the exploration sites or animals I needed to get that first star :shrug: As someone who restarts in 4x games constantly I can tell I won't have fun with this one

try revalidating your files or something because that sounds bugged, i keep restarting for other reasons and this sounds broken / completely not what i have experienced

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fintilgin posted:

Ugh, I had a very similar thing happen in the last beta, but the combat system drives me mad.

My neighbor became the Huns and I started reinforcing my border city to protect it. I had two four stacks hanging out separated by a single hex. A Hun stack of 4 came out of the fog and attacked. For some reason it sucked in all his reinforcements hiding in the fog so he had 12 units of overpowered Hun horses, and didn't bring in my second stack so that I only had 4 units in combat. Then all his units move first, attack twice(?), take no damage because they're ranged and just stackwipe me and take zero damage.

Reinforcements require military organisation tech, that's why your troops in your second stack are sucked into a void in the combat area instead of being deployable. It's odd.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah my neolithic experience has been that you can get out of it pretty quickly unless you want to hang around for the legacy trait. That sounds bugged or something.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Game seems pretty cool but wow, there's a delay for pretty much everything you do in regards to diplomacy and just ending turns that is driving me nuts.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

To clarify, I was finding some of those sites but so infrequently that in every attempt, I was the last faction to get the first star and therefore I didn't get to choose my neolithic civ because all of the civs were claimed and I got defaulted to a single option.

I already refunded the game but I'll try it out again when it's on sale for $15-20

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I moved a dude slightly and there were like 3+ science sites in view immediately. Tons of animals running around, not as many food spots though. Sounds like a bug since I easily bungled into getting first pick.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

To clarify, I was finding some of those sites but so infrequently that in every attempt, I was the last faction to get the first star and therefore I didn't get to choose my neolithic civ because all of the civs were claimed and I got defaulted to a single option.

I already refunded the game but I'll try it out again when it's on sale for $15-20

it must have been your mapgen settings (more than 6 players, sounds like? dunno what else you were using) because i found goodies everywhere, i left the neolithic once with 9 scouts from finding so much food

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

I was going to suggest to wait for the mods to fix these obvious errors

but then I checked and Humanity has no Steam Workshop?!?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I was going to suggest to wait for the mods to fix these obvious errors

but then I checked and Humanity has no Steam Workshop?!?

There’s a message in game that it’s being added soon after launch. Maybe the tools aren’t quite ready, or they just want to hold off on widespread usage of mods until most vanilla issues are identified.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
City-states seem kind of funny. Had a game go past turn 100, during the classical era there was a gap of about 8 territories all next to each other that six of which ended up being filled by city-states producing a massive number of functional barbarians roaming. Gave me a reason to actually build a military and wipe them out for the star. I do appreciate that they aren't quite as important as they are in civilization, that and the fact that they can disappear on their own after a certain amount of time is kind of neat.

I think in my next game, I'll turn down the mountain / elevation terrain setting, the map generation seems pretty good at making interesting landscape but I've also found that a lot of territories are split up in such a way that there are two to three ways in and out of each one with mountains and canyons cutting off a lot of approaches, which is good but also at the same time has led to a situation where one of my armies is trapped between multiple city states and players

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

I think in my next game, I'll turn down the mountain / elevation terrain setting, the map generation seems pretty good at making interesting landscape but I've also found that a lot of territories are split up in such a way that there are two to three ways in and out of each one with mountains and canyons cutting off a lot of approaches, which is good but also at the same time has led to a situation where one of my armies is trapped between multiple city states and players

This also makes it really difficult to make a strong city due to how the exploitation of tiles works, there ends up not being a lot of space to put down districts and you have to waste dozens of turns slithering around the landscape.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I had a completely packed incestuous continent and was pivoting to wiping out the Egyptians but they ransacked a key outpost first which completely hosed me. Anyone know the rules around that? We were not at war so I thought it was gonna be like CK3 raiding when it started but actually it ended the game for me. I had this beautiful city-outpost setup where the riverside city was high growth but the outposts were insane rocky production land. Felt very organic.

I feel like compared to Civ the opportunity cost to get some defensive units built ASAP is higher but I just need to do it.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

If you don't have a NAP with anyone they're free to gently caress with your outpost and units in non-city territory and in their own borders. Expansionist cultures can also ignore that rule and just trespass all over your city borders too.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Danann posted:

If you don't have a NAP with anyone they're free to gently caress with your outpost and units in non-city territory and in their own borders. Expansionist cultures can also ignore that rule and just trespass all over your city borders too.

Ah interesting. So even though my outpost was linked to my city, it still counts as outpost territory not city.

That’s kind of neat though. I will use that to my advantage going forward.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

I'm doing Egypt -> ASCENDED -> khmer and my massive collections of Barays and Pyramids means that I'm just making GBS threads out food and production. I got lucky that the only other civ on my content has been timid as hell and is pretty much under my thumb.

I did find out that if you make demands of an ally your trade routes get shut down so now my two smaller cities are a bit unstable. Do I have to wait for their war support to hit 0 before they just give in? Will they just give in without a war?

Archduke Frantz Fanon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 18, 2021

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Enjoying my game so far. Things have got more exciting now that the Harappans (now Celts) are getting all up in my rear end - I've spent hundreds of years slaying mammoths in peace and now my armies are getting stuck into these so-called "horses" that the Celts keep riding into my territory. Can't wait to get a horse of my own when I finally discover the magical portal they're coming through.

Anyway I love the game. Not perfect but very much enjoying the mechanical differences with civ.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It seems that I'm not able to decline certain choices. It's turn 9, it says my outpost can be turned into a city, but I found a much better spot for a second city. I'd like my capital to be there, but I can't seem to end my turn without evolving my crappy first outpost.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Chamale posted:

It seems that I'm not able to decline certain choices. It's turn 9, it says my outpost can be turned into a city, but I found a much better spot for a second city. I'd like my capital to be there, but I can't seem to end my turn without evolving my crappy first outpost.

Yeah I also saw this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wonder when we'll get another Spiffin Brit Humankind video.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
From watching a couple of streamers and from my own game, it really seems like there's a bug where Magenta gets influence with every minor nation. Which feels like a pretty big bug, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it. Can someone please check their file to see if Magenta is, indeed, getting influence with every single minor nation?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
That was occurring in my game as well, didn't even think how it could be a bug but they shouldn't reasonably have had vision as they were on a different continent to be able to interact with those city-states

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Chamale posted:

There's a setting in the options to turn off mandatory stops, try that.

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Is there a hidden setting to turn off the auto-grey when you zoom out?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Veryslightlymad posted:

From watching a couple of streamers and from my own game, it really seems like there's a bug where Magenta gets influence with every minor nation. Which feels like a pretty big bug, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it. Can someone please check their file to see if Magenta is, indeed, getting influence with every single minor nation?

Yeah I have this in my game.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Wait a minute. I've been wondering who magenta is when I've been competing for favour with the akkadians.

So who is it? Who is magenta??

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mizaq posted:

Is there a hidden setting to turn off the auto-grey when you zoom out?

not that I can see

also yeah magenta has everything here, too

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fhqwhgads posted:

My tutorial game was me focusing on Influence then Science and I was slamming down outposts to claim all the land I could before converting one into my second city. It made the later game a breeze.

But now I'm realizing the tutorial game doesn't actually end so I'm a bit upset at sinking so many hours into it yesterday. Might as well finish filling out the tech tree and popping as many achievements as I can while I'm up here.

An incredibly stupid design decision and would have been an easily fixed one, I have no idea what the devs were thinking. They certainly earned my thumbs down on steam for it though and I've have refunded it if it hadn't suckered me in past the return window.

Game should be $20, it's half finished and nothing especially novel if you've already played Civ or Endless Legend. (I pre-ordered the digital deluxe version based on the open beta 6 months ago that seemed more finished than the actual game is.)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I haven't had any issues, tbh.

At worst, this seems about as broken as the last few Civ games have been at launch.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
One positive I will say for the grey map, it doesn't hurt my eyes instantly like Civ's paper map and it displays roads fairly well. Not that the placement of roads makes sense, as my units still auto-path offroad 75% of the time.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

One positive I will say for the grey map, it doesn't hurt my eyes instantly like Civ's paper map and it displays roads fairly well. Not that the placement of roads makes sense, as my units still auto-path offroad 75% of the time.

Civ 6's map is so poo poo.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Goa Tse-tung posted:

not that I can see

also yeah magenta has everything here, too

what happens if you're magenta too :tinfoil:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ooof so glad i didn't impulse buy this at full price haha.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I played for several hours today and while there's some things I really like about it (the city/outpost system especially) and I had a good enough time, I doubt I'll play it long for the same reason I barely played Civ6: I simply put so many hours into Civ 2-5 that it's all kind of rote and uninteresting now. I don't need a refinement of the system, I need something innovative. Or maybe a decade long break, ha. Some things like the way science and the tech tree work feel ancient now. Anyway, gamepass continues to deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Ether Frenzy posted:

An incredibly stupid design decision and would have been an easily fixed one, I have no idea what the devs were thinking. They certainly earned my thumbs down on steam for it though and I've have refunded it if it hadn't suckered me in past the return window.

Game should be $20, it's half finished and nothing especially novel if you've already played Civ or Endless Legend. (I pre-ordered the digital deluxe version based on the open beta 6 months ago that seemed more finished than the actual game is.)

They patched that in today. Calm down, mate.