Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rabid Boar posted:

The level cap is actually 255, the counter just stops at 99. So unless you go completely insane grinding you shouldn't have any problem picking up whatever Magatama skills you want.

oh dip. good to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

you can level demifiend to 255? So you can get 40 in every stat if you wanted?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

In Training posted:

you can level demifiend to 255? So you can get 40 in every stat if you wanted?

Yeah

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
There's also a way to farm the stat-increasing incenses with lucky tickets but it's tedious and can get expensive depending on how many you want

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Rabid Boar posted:

The level cap is actually 255, the counter just stops at 99. So unless you go completely insane grinding you shouldn't have any problem picking up whatever Magatama skills you want.

good to know, my recent ff2 experience has filled my 'insane grinding' quota so i should be ok

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i thought i was doin something wrong in the 4th kalpa but nah there's just curse rooms everywhere. death to the wicked king!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

grinding stat up items in DDS just to fight demifiend permanently killed my desire to max stats, but hell what a way for it to go

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i thought i was doin something wrong in the 4th kalpa but nah there's just curse rooms everywhere. death to the wicked king!

The pacing of the last couple of kalpas is so weird lol. The 4th in particular is tiny then it makes you backtrack around half the game for a key then you just go straight to the 5th.

In the 5th kalpa now, had a moment of panic because the demon I was sure used to be pixie was in fact not that. Found her eventually in a gross vetala. Not sure how that happened. Poor thing

E: metatron was a chump, long fight but he wasted all his turns using dekaja/dekunda and only used fire of sinai once lol. Onto the tower

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 13, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I spent ages building up and then fusing together a perfect Beelzebub and a fusion interruption turned him into a fuckin slime. This game hates me man

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I spent ages building up and then fusing together a perfect Beelzebub and a fusion interruption turned him into a fuckin slime. This game hates me man

lmfao rip

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lmao

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lol

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

My deepest condolences but also lmfao

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Feels bad. Beelzebub's gotta be my favorite high level demon in Nocturne

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Rabid Boar posted:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Weak. Imagine this, but after additional ages of rerolling skills with random inheritance.

Petiso fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 17, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rabid Boar posted:

It's fine I just lost like 25 minutes but come the gently caress on lmao. I've never had a fusion accident in this game before. I'm still being punished for using merciful mode to grind out a level or two to get fog breath for matador aren't I

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 17, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Petiso posted:

Weak. Imagine this, but after additional ages of rerolling skills with random inheritance.
But then you'd save every time you got the good skills, so you'd only lose the last fusion, right?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/atlus_west/status/1428027660601462797?s=21

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i need that watch

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

man all that crap looks like thinkgeek tier poo poo circa 2007

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
with changing moon phase!

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Whatever, I'll still buy that crap

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

gently caress yeah

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/atlus_west/status/1429872314762481664?s=21

These designs rule. I can’t wait for SMTV!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

https://clips.twitch.tv/AltruisticSpineyTildeMingLee-7djSoK-KYud1US1l

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

This happened to me with the starfish clown guy a few days ago, goddamnit

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Owned.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

:negative:

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
that's why I loved when they just made it do damage normally in SMT4, get hosed insta-kills

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

got owned three times by matador. now ive got another force immune, a party healer and a defense buff. if i stream tonight we will loving go

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

God drat Nocturne is so good

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

extremebuff posted:

got owned three times by matador. now ive got another force immune, a party healer and a defense buff. if i stream tonight we will loving go

first time I fought him he spammed andalucia over and over again and I got owned quick, second time he only ever cast mazan for some reason

and i got through daisoujou without him casting a single instakill somehow

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

matador was as nice as possible to me and only hit mazan and debuff clears while everyone had +4/+4 def/atk. obliterated him.

had some close calls in the area right after. lol they figure you have a bunch of wind immune/lightning weak mons and they hit you with aoe lightning casting enemies immediately, just to teach you that you can't get comfy with any party

think im getting into a groove. until i get my rear end crushed again. smt owns.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

smt4a is so simplified and modernized compared to this lol. check stat changes inbattle, always a convenient heal spot by the grinding/boss area, all the demons around the local boss counter it, save whenever, nice milk bottle w/ attached pacifier whenever you want. smt3 does not give a poo poo about you or your time

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff posted:

smt4a is so simplified and modernized compared to this lol. check stat changes inbattle, always a convenient heal spot by the grinding/boss area, all the demons around the local boss counter it, save whenever, nice milk bottle w/ attached pacifier whenever you want. smt3 does not give a poo poo about you or your time

It’s funny, even though it’s tough and unforgiving I never felt like the game was unfair

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

once you understand nocturne it becomes much easier. you will start creating plans B, C, D, E etc. without even realizing it, because the game conditioned you to do so. and also because you have more demon slots to pull those strats off with

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I think 4 and 4a were actually harder specifically bc there were so many ways to make a game over make you lose less time, I was always afraid of an enemy getting first strike, smirking and wiping my party in one turn. In nocturne it's easier to make a super resilient party the further you get in and know what to expect from each area.

Hard mode nocturne would be cool though, whenever I play again I wanna try it out.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

You get more game overs in 4/4a because random battles are generally harder, but dying doesn't set you back half an hour so it's not as big a deal. 3 is more about the slog of attrition + brutal bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s funny, even though it’s tough and unforgiving I never felt like the game was unfair

Yeah there’s always a way to counter whatever the game throws at you. Sometimes the only way to know how to counter a boss or enemy is to get wiped by it instantly and then do some prep work before the rematch but no boss ever managed to kill me twice because the second time I’d know what magatama to equip, what type of demons to bring etc. Well, that one Rider that has a move with a chance to poison everyone in your party that he follows with a move to instakill anyone who’s poisoned got me twice but that’s my fault because I just forgot about the magatama that would counter it.

4 on the other hand does feel unfair at times (I remember cussing up a storm at my 3DS when a boss wiped my party by using one of those all-party “high damage, high crit chance, balanced by a low chance to hit” moves twice and landing all 8 blows) but the penalty for dying is a lot lighter so you can run back into the fight right after losing.

I like them both but my preference is for 3’s style of difficulty. I wonder how 5 is going to handle it