Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

multistability posted:

Lmao this is literally straight out of Edward Lansdale's counterinsurgency playbook (the following is all paraphrased from Radio War Nerd ep 39 — Cold War Counterinsurgencies):

Lansdale was an advertiser who ended up working for the OSS during WWII. He was really into the idea that terror must be used to pacify or reorient regions where people might be sympathetic to insurgents and argued that you must terrorise the local population in “funny” or “humorous” ways.

There was one “prank” in particular that he loved to brag about and found very funny which his men carried out during their campaign against the Huk insurgency in the Philippines:

In one of the villages there was a sympathetic courier who used to carry supplies between the village where the food was grown and the hills a bit further away where the Huk were hiding out. One day, the courier was caught bringing some supplies to the Huk, and when he was interrogated by Lansdale’s people, he confessed to everything on tape and was murdered. His body was brought back out to the trail between the hills and the village and left there until it was found by some local villager. They spread rumours to the people in the village that it was actually the Huk who killed him. The villagers buried him and then in the middle of the night they set up these loudspeakers and put in the tape recorder and the villagers all of a sudden hear the guy’s voice confessing to all of his crimes from the cemetery. They didn’t know what a tape recorder or loudspeakers were, and so apparently they all fled, leaving the village completely cleared the next day.

Haha wow stupid superstitious natives, being scared of psychotic freaks who will torture you to death 🤣

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Jetto Jagga posted:

Haha wow stupid superstitious natives, being scared of psychotic freaks who will torture you to death 🤣

Yeah the story does come across a bit like that in its tone I guess, but again I'm basically repeating a story Mark Ames told on RWN. Don't know if there are any other sources corroborating it, but the resemblance to the Canadian thing was kind of funny

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Iirc that was also where they faked vampire attacks by draining corpses of blood

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

I like ghost's theory that the CIA just released tropical birds into the area for laughs

weird birds and aerosolized lsd

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Iirc that was also where they faked vampire attacks by draining corpses of blood

William Blum, Killing Hope posted:

"Another Lansdale-initiated "psywar" operation played on the superstitious dread in the Philippine countryside of the asuang, a mythical vampire. A psywar squad entered a town and planted rumors that an asuang lived in the neighboring hill where the Huks were based, a location from which government forces were anxious to have them out. Two nights later, after giving the rumors time to circulate among Huk sympathizers in the town and make their way up the hill, the psywar squad laid an ambush for the rebels along a trail used by them. When a Huk patrol passed, the ambushers silently snatched the last man, punctured his neck vampire-fashion with two holes, held his body by the heels until the blood drained out, and put the corpse back on the trail. When the Huks, as superstitious as any other Filipinos, discovered the bloodless comrade, they fled from the region."

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

they also left playing cards on mutilated corpses so the indigenous would think the joker did it

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
i'm going to become the mothman

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Incidentally, this reminds me some of the poo poo the Brits were running out of the Information Research Department's psy-ops unit 'Information Policy' in Northern Ireland during the Troubles:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/the-war-against-the-ira-and-the-birth-of-fake-news-36947153.html posted:

Propaganda also accused terrorists of dabbling in witchcraft and black magic, with the British even going as far as planting black altars and placing upside-down crucifixes in parts of Belfast. Colin Wallace, an Army intelligence officer, claimed: "We used to collect chicken blood from the cookhouse at the Army barracks and put that on the altars, so it looked like there had been a sacrifice, or something".

Google Colin Wallace, he is one spooky motherfucker

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Laterite posted:

i'm going to become the mothman

i became flatwoods once. a+ would recommend

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40892336

A self-described shaman says a strange creature reportedly spotted in the hills of North Carolina last week was actually him dressed in animal skins.

The "Bigfoot" sighting happened last Friday in the Appalachian mountains, but the story took an even weirder twist with a mistaken identity claim.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

multistability posted:

Incidentally, this reminds me some of the poo poo the Brits were running out of the Information Research Department's psy-ops unit 'Information Policy' in Northern Ireland during the Troubles:

Google Colin Wallace, he is one spooky motherfucker

Lmao the British actually doing Satanic rituals (to own the Irish)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Shima Honnou posted:

weird birds and aerosolized lsd

but enough about Pont-Saint-Esprit

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Ross DaouThot posted:

ok so show of hands who here has read programmed to kill by David McGowan

Make sure you read his other book — Understanding the F-Word: American Fascism and the Politics of Illusion

It owns

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

StashAugustine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d9H_1ygEv8

And the vietnam ghost tapes!

http://psywarrior.com/wanderingsoul

quote:

A male voice was recorded through an echo chamber that represented the soul of the dead soldier. In some cases, the recording was actually too persuasive for its own good. The tape was so effective that we were instructed not to play it within earshot of the South Vietnamese forces, because they were as susceptible as the Viet Cong or North Vietnamese Army.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i've read elsewhere that none of this poo poo actually worked and that all the locals knew it was the american troops known to be in the area mutilating the corpses and not vampires

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah the Vietnam ghost tapes got brought up in the mothman episode. Perfect intersection of stupid and horrifying

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

i've read elsewhere that none of this poo poo actually worked and that all the locals knew it was the american troops known to be in the area mutilating the corpses and not vampires

Yeah now that I actually think about it psy-ops such as Lansdale's and Wallace's are reflective of a certain bigoted colonial or imperialistic attitude towards the people who are being subjected to them, and I have no doubt that if you see a corpse hanging upside down completely drained of blood you would be so terrified you would just get the gently caress out of there regardless. Like the point of counterinsurgency isn't so much the means rather than the end, which is to terrify the insurgency and the population which supports that insurgency into submission

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

multistability posted:

Yeah now that I actually think about it psy-ops such as Lansdale's and Wallace's are reflective of a certain bigoted colonial or imperialistic attitude towards the people who are being subjected to them, and I have no doubt that if you see a corpse hanging upside down completely drained of blood you would be so terrified you would just get the gently caress out of there regardless. Like the point of counterinsurgency isn't so much the means rather than the end, which is to terrify the insurgency and the population which supports that insurgency into submission

American troops: *kills people who go into the woods at night and hangs their mutilated corpses up in trees in ways that clearly parallel folktales about monsters that kill people who go into the woods at night*

Locals: Okay nobody go into the woods at night, it's dangerous.

Americans: LOL ignorant savages.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, I think there was an overarching goal to make the community believe the craziest possible poo poo as a marginalization tactic, but I would agree that most of it was throwing a ton of poo poo out there and seeing what stuck. I do think that there were some researchers who absolutely took government money under the table, and I do legit believe that Barker was a target, but I shouldn't have said for sure that he was a part of it, even if I do believe that he was.

man it’s be crazy if like all this poo poo kicked off as a way to discredit civil rights and leftist groups. like if the first and most famous case of it was exactly that.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Danger posted:

man it’s be crazy if like all this poo poo kicked off as a way to discredit civil rights and leftist groups. like if the first and most famous case of it was exactly that.

The part of the Hill case that's always been fascinating to me is that no matter how sad and farfetched Betty's later claims got, I've always believed that something really crazy actually happened to them on their drive back home.

The whole timeline of their trip is so weird and spur of the moment that it raises questions about how something like that could be executed, but at this point, we'll never know the truth so it's at least fun to think about.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

I like ghost's theory that the CIA just released tropical birds into the area for laughs

was it bats or bird or both, either way lol I totally believe it

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Fried Watermelon posted:

If it didn't work in Afghanistan then what are the chances it will work at home lol

They think I'm slow because I'm from Caaaanada ehh??

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
GOd I hate the RCMP.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
🎶 and so the Kitty Deep State,

took out Kitty Trevor Moore, make no mistake 🎵

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

https://twitter.com/kept_simple/status/1428046405986394117?s=21

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

porque no los dos

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
What's the deal with that movie Jon Stewart made is Gael Garcia Bernal hot in it or what

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah I posted glibly but the levels of weird colonialist/fascist thinking in that anecdote are off the charts. you wanted the guerrillas to think they were being hunted by a monster, so in order to "trick" their puny superstitious minds you did a campaign of psychotic murder and corpse desecration. Also makes me think of the constant refrain that "those people" don't value human life like we do, so we must lower ourselves to their bestial state, despite the potential damage to our otherwise unimpeachable morals. Hitler and his cronies use to sit around and get themselves hyped up saying poo poo like that, oh yeah man it's awful what we have to do, really terrible, but we have no choice! "Hard men making hard decisions" self serving bullshit.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

multistability posted:

I see this has been covered, sorry

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Shear Modulus posted:

Yeah, if I had signs that a group of People were going to come gently caress my village up, I would sure leave as fast as I could to prevent that.

Speaking of Afghanistan, my dad was in Viet Nam, and recently put together all his letters, diary, and pictures from Viet Nam. He was a Navy medic with the marines in the delta in 67-69. He talks about having to treat the infected tattoos of the South Vietnamese troops that were got drunk and had in English "gently caress the VC" tattooed on one of their arms. He said that they were the hardest fighters, because they would be killed if captured.

Its always fun to unpack when you find out our Dad somewhat participated in War Crimes..

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

this doesn’t make an actor not an asset though. they’re just easily won over by CIA dudes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Xaniken/status/1415908463344066560?s=19

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

the golden snitch if it were a grenade

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

everybody just calmly walking towards Terminator like their asses believe in Roko's Basilisk

:sickos:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/alexandereylar/status/1428113363058397187?s=21

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
wtf is tga.win

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yo can i get some kinda active element document of this masterwork instead of giant_fucking_image.png

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
Bold choice putting limbaugh under the internet section

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://twitter.com/Hamdemic/status/1426559823500308487

Okay this is getting silly now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Now this is a transparent administration if I've ever seen one. Ha ha ha.