Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Arghy posted:

Ooof so glad i didn't impulse buy this at full price haha.

Eh, I think general consensus is quite positive. Most of the bugs are pretty superficial, the AI is somewhat decent and it runs really nicely. Worth a pickup if you like these kind of games imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Im cautiously positive, it just has the classic amplitude thing where the art and UI is somehow very difficult for me to get a handle on. People seem to have this problem or not at all i think

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

they really need to get someone in to put tool tips in or something it's the best thing about old world

there is just so much information that just needs to be clarified

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I wish that, when building improvements to your city, it would calculate your gains the same way that it calculates gains when you build districts. That's just a huge QoL thing that seems silly to not have included.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Veryslightlymad posted:

I wish that, when building improvements to your city, it would calculate your gains the same way that it calculates gains when you build districts. That's just a huge QoL thing that seems silly to not have included.

It might be because the districts tend to give a flat increase based on land and added jobs, while the improvements are sometimes based off population which is a moving target. Or they just didn't think of it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
splitting territories off and making new cities in the late game is super powerful as the colony plans mean they start with all the infrastructure pre-installed. By the end of the game my capital was kind of lovely because it was impossible to keep up with all the infrastructure but my last city which I founded probably on turn 250/300 was just making GBS threads out wonders and space missions.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It’s the perfect Game Pass game atm. Most I can say is after two hours I’d like to play much more but need to sleep, sadly.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

CuddleCryptid posted:

It might be because the districts tend to give a flat increase based on land and added jobs, while the improvements are sometimes based off population which is a moving target. Or they just didn't think of it.

But districts will include relevant information from if you already have the improvement. It just feels like an oversight.

Also, for people who don't understand ascension vs the big bonuses you get which will stay for every era----the ascension bonus is an era bonus.

So if you ascend early on, that +10% score stays for the entire game. So essentially, if you're faced with a lot of mediocre choices, but had a fairly successful era, why not keep the good times rolling?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I mean... The game is $1 on game pass. Not a big entry fee.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Mokotow posted:

It’s the perfect Game Pass game atm.

If it doesn't crash on startup :v:

Hat-lock
Jan 5, 2007
So how's the combat in this one? I like the ideas in Endless Space/Legend, but the combat systems are awful and feel like a darling they should have killed off. Also, tool tips are okay, but they don't replace a more comprehensive 'pedia to explain game concepts and find related topics.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hat-lock posted:

So how's the combat in this one? I like the ideas in Endless Space/Legend, but the combat systems are awful and feel like a darling they should have killed off. Also, tool tips are okay, but they don't replace a more comprehensive 'pedia to explain game concepts and find related topics.

Combat is similar.

There is a 'pedia.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gort posted:

There's a setting in the options to turn off mandatory stops, try that.

Doesn't work. It just wouldn't let me finish the turn. It's still going well despite that little setback.

My first actual game, on Civilization difficulty, is going well, despite that bug. I went from Happarans to Romans to win a war against my neighbour. I won some battles against tough odds, and there's a whole subplot in the events about my genius military commander that the people want to become a governor. The Nubians surrendered, so I can't vindictively capture their last city. Absolutely love the way my citizens have their own will that sometimes conflicts with mine. Now that I'm wealthy with a powerful military, I'm wondering if I should bully the Greeks a bit, or strengthen our alliance.

There are some things that feel unpolished - like not displaying the benefits of an infrastructure upgrade, and the grey map when partially zoomed out. It also bothers me that I'm leading the Romans in 3000 BCE, two millenia early. But overall I'm really into it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Game is fun but definitely needs some patches/dlc. This is like the perfect use case for game pass though since you can play the poo poo out it on release and just buy the completed edition on sale later.

My biggest complaint is the forced surrender stuff. If I can easily take another country land it feels bad when the game doesn’t let me for arbitrary reasons. The UI for it is also terrible because it’s hard to see what you’re getting and giving up. I was kicking the shot out of England to the point where it surrendered but once I moused over the tool tips their terms were for me to give everything back and pay a bunch of money.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Zooming out is weird yeah but I hope someone makes a mod to zoom all the way in. I wanna admire my little buildings and those tiny wildlife!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Someone's been asking how to destroy a city-state you've captured so that you're not over the city limit:

Ransack the Main Plaza.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Anno posted:

Eh, I think general consensus is quite positive. Most of the bugs are pretty superficial, the AI is somewhat decent and it runs really nicely. Worth a pickup if you like these kind of games imo.

The combat bugs and wonky surrender stuff sounds like a deal breaker though, gonna keep an eye on it for sure but atm it sounds like it's gonna be very rough.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

So what do attached outposts actually do? More food/ind doesn't seem right, my cities aren't growing fast enough

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Why is another empire the leader of my religion and picking all my tenets? How is that determined?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sighence posted:

So what do attached outposts actually do? More food/ind doesn't seem right, my cities aren't growing fast enough

They give the city more production, money, and science. Unattached outposts only produce food, so it won't help your growth to attach an outpost, unless the outpost is overpopulated.

Grand Fromage posted:

Why is another empire the leader of my religion and picking all my tenets? How is that determined?

It's something to do with faith generation, though I don't fully understand it. There's not much you can do to manually control it.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Unattached outposts contribute science and money if you have the right traits/tenets for it (basically the ones that give money/science per pop). Outposts will also grow pop which is needed for being able to get more religious tenets too in addition to being able to build extractors instantaneously for influence.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
And you can exploit resources in that province.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
As the game evolves I discover I can't read that map. I look at the city and I can't understand which part is exploitation and which is a district. And how do you distinguish districts? Even when you build a new one and would like to see existing ones highlighted it's a mystery.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

I believe it’s the follower of that religion that controls the most holy sites. You can check on the religious UI.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

ilitarist posted:

As the game evolves I discover I can't read that map. I look at the city and I can't understand which part is exploitation and which is a district. And how do you distinguish districts? Even when you build a new one and would like to see existing ones highlighted it's a mystery.

There's a button in the bottom right that highlights districts (and colours them).

Anno
May 10, 2017

ilitarist posted:

There’s a button on the bottom right that colors districts. It’s helpful.

As for exploitation vs. district/adjacencies, I think you need to hover over the district if you want the breakdown for that particular tile. All the hexes on the periphery are just from exploitation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anno posted:

There’s a button on the bottom right that colors districts. It’s helpful.

Unless you're colorblind, in which case they're all identical and there's no way to identify districts other than hovering around before you go to the build screen.

Anno posted:

I believe it’s the follower of that religion that controls the most holy sites. You can check on the religious UI.

Could be it. For some reason I have never had the option to build holy sites in this game so I have none. :confused:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Veryslightlymad posted:

But districts will include relevant information from if you already have the improvement. It just feels like an oversight.

Also, for people who don't understand ascension vs the big bonuses you get which will stay for every era----the ascension bonus is an era bonus.

So if you ascend early on, that +10% score stays for the entire game. So essentially, if you're faced with a lot of mediocre choices, but had a fairly successful era, why not keep the good times rolling?

ah. That makes it much more interesting as a choice, especially if you want to build a unique district at all of your cities or something like that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What cultures have y'all been taking? My first game was Babylon -> Celts - Teutons - > Joseon -> France -> Japan.

There are a lot that seem extremely powerful, but I haven't figured out yet which are the best. I've been playing a lot like Civilization VI, really prioritizing early expansion and science, and so far it seems to be working.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It seems to me there's a tension between taking a culture that's in line with what you're already good at (i.e. my economy's taking off, I'm going to take the Dutch next era and see how far I can take this) versus taking a culture to round things out and catch up your weaknesses (i.e. maybe Siam can help me get on top of construction and get my build-times down to something reasonable).

I think I screwed up by taking Australia for the final era. Their unique district gives you crazy production, like 120 if you have 2 strats near each other, but it also causes instability and pollution, and it turns out pollution causes colossal instability. I'm teching up to the various green technologies as fast as I can, but I don't know if I'm going to make it, Magdeburg in particular is getting really pissed off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Which tech allows embarked units to travel further? I have islands I want to put outposts on but it's one tile too far for the scouts to make it across before sinking.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Det_no posted:

They patched that in today. Calm down, mate.

They did indeed. And it finished my 525 turn game the turn after the first time I hit "end turn" on it, so good work patching it into existing games. Extremely FWP but 12 hours of hitting next turn waiting for the drat game to end annoyed me a bit. Still think it was a dumbass design decision by some exec (or maybe nobody playtested the tutorial at all?) but at least they responded very quickly to the grousing so good on them.

How the hell do you launch nukes? I have one in my missile silo, I'm at war with the Soviets, and I just get a "There must be a target on that tile" message when I try and use the missile's little 'nuclear strike' action button on their capital/whatever.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Which tech allows embarked units to travel further? I have islands I want to put outposts on but it's one tile too far for the scouts to make it across before sinking.

Researching better transports and going for cultures with +naval movement speed is basically the only way to get faster transports iirc.

Norsemen also have a special transport that's faster by one movement and less affected by high seas too.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Grand Fromage posted:

Three Masted Ship. Then, Amphibious Warfare to go 4 per turn.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Danann posted:

Researching better transports and going for cultures with +naval movement speed is basically the only way to get faster transports iirc.

Norsemen also have a special transport that's faster by one movement and less affected by high seas too.

I can't ever send troops across more than three ocean tiles unless I pick a naval culture? They can't possibly have made a design decision that stupid.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't ever send troops across more than three ocean tiles unless I pick a naval culture? They can't possibly have made a design decision that stupid.

Caravels and Landing Craft don't sink in ocean tiles.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Grand Fromage posted:

Ether Frenzy posted:

An incredibly stupid design decision and would have been an easily fixed one, I have no idea what the devs were thinking. They certainly earned my thumbs down on steam for it though and I've have refunded it if it hadn't suckered me in past the return window.

Game should be $20, it's half finished and nothing especially novel if you've already played Civ or Endless Legend. (I pre-ordered the digital deluxe version based on the open beta 6 months ago that seemed more finished than the actual game is.)

what the gently caress is with goons and weird hyperbole about video games

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Horizon Burning posted:

Literally just replying to what the poster said, my dude. Chillax.

Was wrong too. Three Masted Ships improves your transports, early modern era.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Horizon Burning posted:

Nah it’s extremely normal to ragequit, refund, and leave a negative review because the tutorial mission doesn’t have a hard stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Horizon Burning posted:

you have to remember

people who post on game community forums sometimes post here, too

:gonk: