Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

We plan to address the problem with a series of tweets over the next several days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Lacrosse posted:

This is jab #2 because I'm a J&J loser. My third shot is scheduled for next month.
Ohh right, well either way, glad you're on the right path now :coronatoot:

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Lord of Pie posted:

max titers spotted

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Tzen posted:

Ohh right, well either way, glad you're on the right path now :coronatoot:

I'm finally a (literal) card carrying member of Pfizer Gang. It feels good, man. :unsmith:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I guess the vax mandate also covers K-12 employees. He must have said that originally before the stream cut in.

Somebody asked Inslee what the plan is if we have to fire a shitload of teachers because they refuse to get vaxxed, and he refused to answer.

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
just lmao at my university’s unions email rapidly descending from “we hear your concerns about a safe return” to “please sign this petition” to “ok well I dunno maybe try emailing your MP or the minister of labour or something”

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Schnorkles posted:

QUESTION.

Is school in session if everyone is quarantining?

a wonderful cspam koan

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

This is jab #2 because I'm a J&J loser. My third shot is scheduled for next month.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Louisgod posted:

continues to own that kids under 12 are not a thing

they don't get sick no worries m8

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Best friends wife tested positive, fully vaxxed and very minor symptoms but her doctor said that they don't need to worry about or do anything with her 3 year old daughter because it's not a big deal.

I used a couple binaxNow tests AMA

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Nocturtle posted:

IMO some of the neutralization studies of affinity matured antibodies suggest vaccine-induced sterilizing immunity might be possible. However some people in the previous thread got very salty when I made some posts to that effect and I am a factual idiot so who knows.

One thing I'm wondering is why are coronavirus antibodies so short lived? People are immune to measles forever but apparently we'll need a COVID booster shot every six eight months? Seems weird.

Going to take a guess and say probably for the same reason people need a flu shot ever year. With the flu, you likely have long lived immunity to a particular strain if you catch it or are vaccinated, but the virus changes so much you need that shot every year.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1428032220888027137?s=20

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
30 day mask mandate for Hillsborough County schools. Requires a doctor’s note to opt out now.

Lol, 30 days.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Huh. The vax requirement explicitly includes coaches. Wonder how many of those we'll see get fired.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah like Publix and other places will be boxing up their surplus to ship overseas.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Ebola Roulette posted:

Going to take a guess and say probably for the same reason people need a flu shot ever year. With the flu, you likely have long lived immunity to a particular strain if you catch it or are vaccinated, but the virus changes so much you need that shot every year.

My understanding is that each virus has two binding sites for antibodies, the receptor binding domain and the n-terminal domain. Significant changes at either of these sites renders antibodies less effective. I think it's why the flu is always referred to with letter-number-letter-number.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Thoguh posted:

The other day my wife let a neighbor that we were talking to in the driveway hold our baby because he put on a mask so it was safe.

A cloth mask, and the guy is vaxxed but followed CDC guidelines and has been acting like 2019 since May. We uh, did not agree on that.

Just imagining this sends me into a panic and a rage. Thank all the gods my partner and I are on the same page

Your kid is a loving newborn!!!!!!!! gently caress!!!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Steve Yun posted:

https://twitter.com/npr/status/1427768728767373313?s=21

People might not know this, but you could always get shot or stabbed at a Raiders game as far back as I could remember

NBC removed their much more evocative tweet on the subject, which was closer to "Raiders fans must show proof of vaccination or get shot on site"

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Asproigerosis posted:

Ugh I have a headache this is how it starts delta don't take me I'm not ready

Are you going to go out like Stan Chera? :ohdear:

(Hope you're ok, sorry about your garbage boss)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Der Meister posted:

does the AAP have access to the trial data

no but they don't need it. you can look at the size of the originally planned trial and the expanded trial and determine "there exists a incidence rate X that the expanded trial would pick up but the original trial would not". the AAP's point is that X*(number of kids) is significantly lower than (rate of long Covid or death)*(number of kids that will be infected during the extra time the larger trial will take).

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

etalian posted:

Yeah like Publix and other places will be boxing up their surplus to ship overseas.

pretty much using the doses the anti-vaxxers didn't want

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Huge Cervix

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

NBC removed their much more evocative tweet on the subject, which was closer to "Raiders fans must show proof of vaccination or get shot on site"

I know Raiders vs 49ers games, at the old lovely 49ers stadium were legendary back in the day for massive tailgate brawls before the games.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Is it unfair that capitalism has hosed much of the world out of getting shots? Absolutely.

Does the US already have most of the vaccine for these boosters already on hand and allocated because Chuds aren’t taking them? Also true.

If we didn’t have doses spoiling or a massive amount of extra doses just sitting in pharmacies, I would agree this may be excessive. But those doses would probably go to the waste anyway because of the sheer idiocy of our population.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

McNugget Buddy posted:

If they plan to mandate it K-12 nationwide at some point (who knows when), they can't risk parents revolting against the idea

parents are going to revolt no matter what. one of those 30% who refuse the shot no matter what are EXTRA going to refuse it for their kids

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Isn't Muge the shithead who tried to get that cool and good doctor in trouble with their boss?

Edit: haha yep

https://twitter.com/drzoehyde/status/1364184623262048259

Forseti fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 18, 2021

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Kreeblah posted:

Huh. The vax requirement explicitly includes coaches. Wonder how many of those we'll see get fired.

lol there's a chud football coach in eastern washington that has been very vocal antivax. every time i criticized him on the wa subreddit i got like 3 threatening PMs from randos

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawlicaust posted:

Is it unfair that capitalism has hosed much of the world out of getting shots? Absolutely.

Does the US already have most of the vaccine for these boosters already on hand and allocated because Chuds aren’t taking them? Also true.

If we didn’t have doses spoiling or a massive amount of extra doses just sitting in pharmacies, I would agree this may be excessive. But those doses would probably go to the waste anyway because of the sheer idiocy of our population.

This month Alabama disposed of 85k doses due to shelf life issues.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
it's truly disappointing we can't do two things at once, like giving people a 3rd dose and also vaccinating the world but alas, incremental liberalism must prevail

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Kreeblah posted:

every single one of them will have a religious exemption

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

etalian posted:

This month Alabama disposed of 85k doses due to shelf life issues.

That’s sick, take the doses from red states and give them to poor countries

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rauros posted:

pretty much using the doses the anti-vaxxers didn't want

Also look at the NYT Vaccine state trackers, even with the Delta crisis the demand trend is flat.

People aren't seeing the light just because the hospitals are almost at max capacity.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Louisgod posted:

it's truly disappointing we can't do two things at once, like giving people a 3rd dose and also vaccinating the world but alas, incremental liberalism must prevail

lol the whitehouse and psaki said exactly that... that they will do both: https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000007905092/white-house-coronavirus-vaccine-booster-shots.html

every single person arguing that we should save the world first and then do boosters must have missed the whitehouse coming out weeks ago and totally cutting the legs off that argument lol

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

even if there is something shown at a higher level than expected, release the data and grant the EUA. let parents make the call if they are ready to vaccinate or not. nothing can materially change with the vaccine between right now and months from now if/when it is approved.

if it is released and subsequently demonstrates very high rates of something bad it would be catastrophic.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
wait, when did they start sending doses out of country? i thought it was still in some bizarre liability waiver standstill

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
Seriously though what is the FDA waiting for on officially approving the vaccines. Been doing some case investigations and most people I talk to who haven't gotten the vaccine said they were waiting on full FDA approval. I'm sure theyy'ee going to move the goalposts but why the gently caress aren't they approved

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Der Meister posted:

if it is released and subsequently demonstrates very high rates of something bad it would be catastrophic.

well at least the vaccine manufacturers have immunity!

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Louisgod posted:

Huge Cervix

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

wait, when did they start sending doses out of country? i thought it was still in some bizarre liability waiver standstill

Sleepy Joe has been sending C tier options overseas like J+J and AZ/University of Oxford doses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

inferis posted:

every single one of them will have a religious exemption

Yeah, probably. :sigh:

Ebola Roulette posted:

Seriously though what is the FDA waiting for on officially approving the vaccines. Been doing some case investigations and most people I talk to who haven't gotten the vaccine said they were waiting on full FDA approval. I'm sure theyy'ee going to move the goalposts but why the gently caress aren't they approved

It's going to immediately switch to "They were approved too fast. They couldn't have done adequate safety research."