Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Not to livejournal my impressions here but anyone who is buying an out of region non-english 3DS, make sure you grab the latest LumaLocaleSwitcher and force your games to the right region/language.

I'm SLIGHTLY regretting purchasing the Japanese LL just because I don't love the idea of having to translate the popups any time anything out of the ordinary happens, but at the same time not annoyed enough to actually follow through with a region change re-flash because of possible eShop or online issues, not that I really plan to do much of that anyway. I guess time will tell just how annoying the whole thing is. For now it's still a really good platform for just popping in a game and playing, but the initial setup was a little more frustrating than I'd hoped just because of all the region forcing and translation.

All's well that ends well, except for the battery which is apparently dead and holds no charge so I guess that's the only casualty of age, but a problem that $20 can fix.

e: Oh and also gently caress the circle-pad and its teflon like surface. I don't remember it being this bad on my old 3DS but maybe the previous user just wore it slick? I 100% need to replace that thing for any serious use. Five minutes into SMB3 I was hating it, but for some reason it feels more natural to use than the d-pad, just due to finger positioning.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971709 this nice goon in SA-Mart is selling 3d-printed c-stick grips for $1 shipped each, I got one and it owns

e: also the XL batteries are sold out looks like but stuff on Nintendo's site goes back in stock pretty often, might be worth trying to snag an OEM one https://store.nintendo.com/nintendo-3ds-2ds/replacement-parts.html

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Anyone have any experience streaming 3DS to Wii U? I found the GBAtemp thread on it so it seems like a neat concept but just wondering if anyone here has tried it.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Martytoof posted:

Not to livejournal my impressions here but anyone who is buying an out of region non-english 3DS, make sure you grab the latest LumaLocaleSwitcher and force your games to the right region/language.

I thought I was going to be fine with this when I set up my New 2DS LL, but it's a bit of a pain if you want to curate a nice, large collection of titles that are mostly American and actually play them :(

I ended up following Wario64 on Twitter and watching for a restock of Nintendo's refurbished New 2DS XL units and switched to that a couple of weeks ago, I think it was USD$99 / CAD$129 (plus you can transfer the save files between the two with Checkpoint and an FTP server)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish I had gotten in on a 2ds XL refurb. I think they are all gone now. :( Stupid Wario64 and his scalper troop ate them up within minutes each time he posted them.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Waltzing Along posted:

I wish I had gotten in on a 2ds XL refurb. I think they are all gone now. :( Stupid Wario64 and his scalper troop ate them up within minutes each time he posted them.

I heard it was tough to get so I actually went as far as setting up an IFTTT notification :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They could still have more sometime. They put them up in waves.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

They pop up around once every week or 2 but they're usually gone in <3-4 minutes.

Gamestop also seems to have been getting various iterations of 2/3DSes in as refurbs, I had really good luck with mine. More expensive than off Nintendo's site (I got a 2DSXL for $150) but :shrug: it's in essentially brand-new condition, and as I learned after several hours of frustration and confusion, was apparently already CFW'ed by the previous owner :haw:

keep an eye on https://www.reddit.com/r/3DSdeals/new/ as well

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SeANMcBAY posted:

They could still have more sometime. They put them up in waves.

Word is they don't have any more to refurbish. No more anything of last gen.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Waltzing Along posted:

Word is they don't have any more to refurbish. No more anything of last gen.

I know that’s certainly true of Wii U stuff. I tried to get my pad fixed a few weeks ago and the rep told them have nothing left.

Thankfully I was able to fix it myself.:)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm just not a fan of wario64. He's got so many scalpers following him now that any deal is bought up instantly. The 2ds XLs are all over ebay for $200. I am sure then normal 2ds refurbs are there, too.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I've posted this before, but just buy a used one. I have bought like a half dozen used 2DS XLs locally over the last year or two and aside from some light scratches on the bottom they're almost always otherwise in "like new", even the kid owned ones. The finish is remarkably durable and the clamshell deisgn keeps the inside/screens in good shape.

Every now and then busy parents throw them up on FB Marketplace as "Nintendo DS" after their kid drops it for the Switch, never paid more than AU 80 for a console unless it came with a trove of decent games.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The new system update won't affect anything for custom firmware users, right?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

YOLO. I updated with no immediate ill effects but no thorough testing done, really. Games still launch, luma still patching them for USA/EN locale/language, which was really my only requirement.

(I also wasn't sure what the 3ds was asking since it was in Japanese, I thought it was something about a game update but forgot 本体更新 is system update)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 27, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Don't install the update yet. 3DS Guide will probably work to have an updated CFW compatible with this update in a few days.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

It should be ok at this point, but it's recommended to wait until Luma says it's safe to do so. Also, always update Luma before you run any system updates.

aton
Jul 23, 2008
Looks like N3DS XL batteries are back in stock.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been playing Samus Returns and I really like it. I've normally been cold on the 2D Metroids but it has been grabbing me more than any of the others have. I'm looking forward to Dread when it comes out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Shiroc posted:

I've been playing Samus Returns and I really like it. I've normally been cold on the 2D Metroids but it has been grabbing me more than any of the others have. I'm looking forward to Dread when it comes out.

Dread will probably be closest to it in gameplay so you should enjoy it. I like SR too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Dread will probably be closest to it in gameplay so you should enjoy it. I like SR too.

It took me a bit to warm up to it but eventually it was good. I can't say I cared for the boss fights though. They were too long, the bosses weren't particularly interesting, and frankly Samus is both too big and touch too clunky to be as mobile as the protagonist in Hollow Knight or other Metroidvanias.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Bumping an old rear end dead thread because Gamestop has a bunch of "refurbished" 3ds family systems in stock. I know experiences on these vary greatly, but at least with Gamestop you can do a return fairly easily.

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-hardware/3ds/3ds?prefn1=brand&prefv1=Nintendo

If you've slept on this system or need another one for the collection, this might be the way to go. I got lucky on my n3dsxl I ordered from them as it was in near pristine condition.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

notthegoatseguy posted:

Bumping an old rear end dead thread because Gamestop has a bunch of "refurbished" 3ds family systems in stock. I know experiences on these vary greatly, but at least with Gamestop you can do a return fairly easily.

https://www.gamestop.com/consoles-hardware/3ds/3ds?prefn1=brand&prefv1=Nintendo

If you've slept on this system or need another one for the collection, this might be the way to go. I got lucky on my n3dsxl I ordered from them as it was in near pristine condition.

Giving this a try. The kids keep fighting over my Switch and there's no way I'm solving this problem with two more Switches but I sure can afford to buy a refurb 2DS, hand down my 3DS and buy a fist full of DS games they've never seen before off of eBay.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

YanniRotten posted:

Giving this a try. The kids keep fighting over my Switch and there's no way I'm solving this problem with two more Switches but I sure can afford to buy a refurb 2DS, hand down my 3DS and buy a fist full of DS games they've never seen before off of eBay.

I’d get a flash cart for ds games. eBay is full of fake carts anyways.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea flash cart for DS games is the best way to do it. For the 2DS/3DS hack it and then just download the games hshop. I’ve got two 2DS for my kids and it’s perfect. You get the sturdy Nintendo build quality and great Nintendo games.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

CFox posted:

Yea flash cart for DS games is the best way to do it. For the 2DS/3DS hack it and then just download the games hshop. I’ve got two 2DS for my kids and it’s perfect. You get the sturdy Nintendo build quality and great Nintendo games.

Do I really need a flashcart for DS games? I am trying to dump my physical games using GodMode and then play from GodMode and the games either sound like garbage or Pokemon doesn't even get past the main menu.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Flashcart is just easier and they've been around since the DS was at its height.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just use TwilightMenu++ or whatever it's called for DS games, no flash cart needed.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Twilight++ is an option. I tried it first but ran into various issues with different games and found the flash cart to just work with no issues. Doesn’t hurt to give it a shot though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That's my experience as well. An R4 is just more reliable for DS game compatibility and emulators are good for everything else. I never could get GBA games to play in Twilight either.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Since we all got kicked out of the switch thread for being too bitchy, what's good here??

I'm currently on the last floor in EOIV, it's been a really good time! I don't think I'm going to do any of the post game stuff because I want to move on to other games but I'm glad I finally saw this one through. Well almost, the 5th maze is kind of a slog with the way it's set up.

Oh yeah the recolored FOEs are also getting to be a little too excessive at this point!

I'm debating starting devil survivor or strange journey next, but with SMTV around the corner I don't want to burn out on megaten rn. I could also jump right into EOV since the touch screen is so important and It actually gives me a reason to pick up my 3DS over my switch or PS5

What are y'all playing?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
My kids have been stealing my 2DSXL to play Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and Kirby Planet Robobot lately. Last thing I finished on there was Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology which was fun. Right now I'm working my way through Final Fantasy 8 on my little retro handheld but after that I might jump back and play Ocarina of Time since everyone talking about has got it on my mind and I haven't beat it since I was a kid.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh hey 3DS thread. I should either finally beat Warioware gold, or maybe start Stella Glow or something. Anything that isn't too taxing on my broken and badly reglued circle pad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I vote Warioware. I think you can use the dpad instead of the cpad on it.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

KingSlime posted:

What are y'all playing?

Legitimately thinking about playing Majora's Mask again.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

SeANMcBAY posted:

I vote Warioware. I think you can use the dpad instead of the cpad on it.

It'd be quicker to finish, I was at the last boss and because the last boss is always a small rhythm game it takes me a lot of practice to beat it. I am quite terrible at rhythm games in general.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BisterdDave posted:

Legitimately thinking about playing Majora's Mask again.

If you have a homebrewed 3DS, I highly suggest this patch: https://restoration.zora.re/

Fixes issues, reverses some dumb decisions to how it was on N64 and even adds some handy QoL features.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Games I'm "playing":
Kirby's Epic Yarn- it's not very interesting or good. I don't know how much effort I should put into it, but the Hard mode is nearly tedious so I don't really focus on that.

Oracle of Ages/Season- these are not as good as I remembered them. They feel sort of bloated, they're rather formulaic, and while the puzzles are ok, they lack a lot of the charm that made LA work, and a lot of the everything that works in LttP.

Pushmo- I finally beat it, but then I unlocked the extra puzzles so here I am yet again.

Bravely Default: I ran out of steam somewhere. It's fun, but the plot is whatever and while I like the mechanics I've come to terms I'm not huge on Job Systems. There's just too many choices.

Games I can play forever:

Theatrhythm Curtain Call- I love it, it's so good, but it's sort of aimless. It's a hell of a way to listen to FF songs though. Kinda wish it had some more goals and that I knew more about FF 10 and up.

Rhythm Heaven- Excellent game, harder than expected especially when trying to get good scores, which is all I have left to do.

Games I own but haven't started:

MGS 3 Snakeeater: I need to finish some of the above before I get to this.

Pushmo 2+3- I need to beat 1... One day.

Games I will eventually buy:

Haha this list is too long, but almost certainly Ocarina of Time, Link Between Worlds, and Luigi's Mansion 1+2, alongside any number of Virtual Console games.

I'm considering getting: Yoshi's Wooly World, Kid Icarus Uprising, Star Fox 64 3D, and DKC Returns.

---

I pretty much travel with my 3DS and plug away at things in that fashion. My Switch is an at home console, though I use it portable in that setting.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Anyone have an opinion on the best 3D effect eShop only games? Most people seem not to use it much, but I’m all ‘bout it. Would like to stock up before they eventually shut the store down.

I’ve got all the Sega Classics, all the Nintendo “Classics” or whatever they were called. Pushmo 1/2.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fly Ricky posted:

Anyone have an opinion on the best 3D effect eShop only games? Most people seem not to use it much, but I’m all ‘bout it. Would like to stock up before they eventually shut the store down.

I’ve got all the Sega Classics, all the Nintendo “Classics” or whatever they were called. Pushmo 1/2.

If you got the Sega stuff you're probably good.

I am constantly amazed how cool Streets of Rage looks.

Oh, I may want to get some of those compilation games like NES Remix. They always seemed fun.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
They’re really well done. I even boot up Urban Champion once in a while because it’s so drat pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fly Ricky posted:

Sounds like you’re pretty much set already. There’s a 3rd Pushmo game that’s worth getting and Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball is another gem.