Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You want quick pacing, I think you should check out Chainsaw Man.

Only 97 chapters for Part 1, and it ends on a good note (even if there's going to be a sequel series eventually). Fights do get crazy, but usually the protagonist wins with relatively simple, clever, stupid tactics, even if big showy moves let him survive long enough to seal the deal.

The humor is on point, the main characters are distinct, and the protagonist, while not a saint, is a decent, straightforward guy in the middle of a lot of morally suspect government agencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm disappointed that nobody's suggested the obvious choice of How Heavy Are the Dumbbells you Lift? :colbert:

this is great and lets me checkout Ai Fairouz before her go as Jolyne.

KillHour posted:

You exercise by swinging a mace around? Are you a literal anime protag?

gotta work out like the protagonist you want to be!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what are animes from the 2000-2010 time period that had really excellent fight scenes? what was the aughts version of one punch man

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

TTGL. Diebuster.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Birdy the Mighty

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

birdy the mighty decode, samurai champloo, uhh sword of the stranger is great if movies count.

there's not really a true one punch man equivalent since a lot of the good action animators were on long-running shonens back then, no one was making concentrated 12-episode action shows.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

read or die movie, real drive, gits, steamboy, diebuster, hellsing ultimate, kite liberator, mezzo forte

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tales of Woe posted:

birdy the mighty decode, samurai champloo, uhh sword of the stranger is great if movies count.

there's not really a true one punch man equivalent since a lot of the good action animators were on long-running shonens back then, no one was making concentrated 12-episode action shows.

Also, that was when animation was making a transition to being done digitally.

Only example that hasn't been mentioned that I can think of is Vampire Hunter D, but that's a movie.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davincie posted:

read or die movie, real drive, gits, steamboy, diebuster, hellsing ultimate, kite liberator, mezzo forte

Don't forget FLCL. 2000-2001.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

what are animes from the 2000-2010 time period that had really excellent fight scenes? what was the aughts version of one punch man

Casshern Sins

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Saint Seiya Lost Canvas as well

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Astro Boy 2003 literally yesterday has well translated english subs and it's probably the best looking animation ever made for television

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Astro Boy 2003 literally yesterday has well translated english subs and it's probably the best looking animation ever made for television

I remember quite liking it when it came out, but that's a pretty impressive claim. I guess I'll have to go back to it to confirm if it's true.

(Eventually).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

astro boy 2003 looks better than most anime films. iunno if id say 'best looking tv animation ever made' but its definitely the most consistently excellent.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just about anything from Mad House that has fights is probably gonna be up there / worth a look.

Shigurui, Hajime no Ippo etc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madhouse_(company)#2000%E2%80%932005

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

astro boy 2003 looks better than most anime films. iunno if id say 'best looking tv animation ever made' but its definitely the most consistently excellent.

What looks better.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

What looks better.

You do bae

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

What looks better.
i mean no individual show as a whole does, thats my point. the director of astro boy 2003 is a live action guy so while theres a lot of really fun shot choices and it makes fantastic use of lighting it doesnt quite get inventive with animation in the same way as some classic gainax showcase episodes as a random example, even if astro boy 2003 is way 'better' animation, you know what i mean

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

i mean no individual show as a whole does, thats my point. the director of astro boy 2003 is a live action guy so while theres a lot of really fun shot choices and it makes fantastic use of lighting it doesnt quite get inventive with animation in the same way as some classic gainax showcase episodes as a random example, even if astro boy 2003 is way 'better' animation, you know what i mean

That's fair, thanks for elaborating

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

np. you are lucky i did not unleash my troll answer of ep 4 of gurren lagann

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

pain vs naruto is the best TV animation ever produced

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

*removing weights*

Dororo (2019) episode 15

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Aurora posted:

pain vs naruto is the best TV animation ever produced

I'm partial to Rock Lee v Gaara

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?tags=noein

I'm very partial to the animation of Noein. Came out 2005, and even then it didn't really have the same issues as old Digipaint shows.

It also made me fall in love with the city of Hakodate. The place has some really interesting architecture and geography.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Looking for some hammy, soap opera-esque melodrama (e.g., Pretty Rhythm) and/or something with a stabbing involved (e.g., Haruhi, Pancreas, and Banana Fish). I've found shows like Clannad and anohana to be more frustrating than anything else, so I'd prefer to avoid anything in that vein.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Strange Quark posted:

Looking for some hammy, soap opera-esque melodrama (e.g., Pretty Rhythm) and/or something with a stabbing involved (e.g., Haruhi, Pancreas, and Banana Fish). I've found shows like Clannad and anohana to be more frustrating than anything else, so I'd prefer to avoid anything in that vein.

This is hammy and absurd, and you may have already checked it out already if you like "two handsome men working together with subtext" as a genre, but maybe Vatican Miracle Examiner? It swiftly degenerates from "creepy mystery" into "How to Take On a Satanic Hitler Cult", but stays fairly entertaining and super campy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mentat Radnor posted:

This is hammy and absurd, and you may have already checked it out already if you like "two handsome men working together with subtext" as a genre, but maybe Vatican Miracle Examiner? It swiftly degenerates from "creepy mystery" into "How to Take On a Satanic Hitler Cult", but stays fairly entertaining and super campy.

Yes, I've seen that already. Very funny!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

Have you watched Banana Fish.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Nice, I wish more folks here watched it because I got a ton of laughs out of it! It's one of those series that is competently made but very fast-paced and silly, but like as a strength where it makes me put on the next episode out of morbid curiosity.

I can't find the 1:30 anime OP video to link, but the OP song in full is still a banger!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfOUcC_VRro

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Have you watched Banana Fish.

Yes, Ron.

Vatican peaked in its first arc, but it definitely kept up the unpredictability factor through its whole runtime.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

Yes, Ron.

Vatican peaked in its first arc, but it definitely kept up the unpredictability factor through its whole runtime.

Squark I am just trying to help. No need to be rude?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Squark I am just trying to help. No need to be rude?

I'm sorry, Ron. Being rude was not my intention.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Attack on Titan.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

GorfZaplen posted:

Attack on Titan.

Okay, I'll watch one season.

e: ah s1 blurays are 50 gb huh. well maybe eventually

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 23, 2021

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

Penguindrum has some top-tier hammy melodrama.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Strange Quark posted:

oniisama e

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnoHito posted:

Penguindrum has some top-tier hammy melodrama.

guess i'll try this then

where do you get this? it appears to not exist on nyaa

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

guess i'll try this then

where do you get this? it appears to not exist on nyaa

It's on there as Oniisama e (and as Dear Brother, but only the raws are seeded), but if you're looking to stream it I think it's on Retrocrush.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I found it, it turns out my nyaa filters were hiding the torrent and I hadn't noticed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Strange Quark posted:

Nana can be pretty soapy.