Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

empty whippet box posted:

a 9/11 every 3 days is fine because a democrat is president, actually

the daily 9/11s dashboard broke because google api only loaded 100,000 lines max, and then that tracking site decided covid was over this spring

thinking I need to start use the NYTimes dataset....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
It rules having a wife in one of the largest public health departments in the US because you get to hear leading indicators like "yeah in the next couple of weeks shits gonna get really really bad."

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Jon Irenicus posted:

ooh. we've got the possibility of a fiver here.

watch goons bitch about a sixer

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ever since that GIF i made a few days ago, i started working on a web app that could animate historical data from CovidActNow's dataset

it's really barebones right now, just a map and a date, but i can animate basically any field on this documentation page

here's a recording of cases per 100k (7 day average). placeholder colors, but red = 100 cases / 100k

https://i.imgur.com/hNYIUaU.mp4

not sure what's up with nebraska

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

empty whippet box posted:

a 9/11 every 3 days is fine because a democrat is president, actually

hospitalisations in NYC are doubling every 2 weeks and are currently at 2k, which is totally fine and cool as evidenced by the fact that nobody is doing anything

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Rubby posted:

lol gently caress it this one's for the night crew
https://i.imgur.com/zuOUwnQ.mp4

it can’t be true, but then again it rhymed. So it must be

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Rubby posted:

hospitalisations in NYC are doubling every 2 weeks and are currently at 2k, which is totally fine and cool as evidenced by the fact that nobody is doing anything

oh no actually we're doing five superspreader concerts to celebrate the fact that covid is over

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

corona familiar posted:

lmao

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
alright, but. im sorry cspam, i have to realpost for a minute here

I'm actually super loving worried about the next 6-8 weeks. like. it is now virtually guaranteed that millions of children are going to be infected with covid-19 — probably north of 75% of the entire school-age population, especially the elementary demographic — and the sheer overload of the health system this will cause is going to kill tens of thousands of children in the space of a month or two. I am deadass actually expecting that we are going to be facing down a hundred thousand dead children by some point in October. and I have no loving idea what happens after that. what happens after the biggest child mortality crisis in this country in more than a century, and this one self-manufactured.

like, the leadership and certain parts of the bourgeoisie are going to try to not give a poo poo beyond platitudes, and at least at first I expect a Sandy Hook-esque shrug, but by the time the death wave really sets in, even at only like 50,000 dead that's going to be six digits worth of parents who are just. just totally and completely out of their minds with grief and rage. and power will try and do nothing, and. they're going to want to express their anger.

i'm not predicting ~~civil war~~ because i don't expect it to be a war; war implies some level of organization. i just keep imagining this white-hot ball of rage erupting all across the country, and. it'll just be people doing poo poo because gently caress it, our children are dead, our world has already ended, and so far nobody has given a gently caress. well we'll make you give a gently caress.

like. tell me the molochian virus furnace we're about to shovel 60 million children into isn't going to result in massive child death, cspam. tell me the next few months I see ahead of us is just me doom-braining. :smith:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/MattNegrin/status/1428187102332833792

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

corona familiar posted:

besides the obvious, the Neb governor decided reporting county level data for counties of less than 20,000 people violated hipaa

seriously

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

fosborb posted:

besides the obvious, the Neb governor decided reporting county level data for counties of less than 20,000 people violated hipaa

seriously

yikes

i think there's something wrong with the data or with my data processing step though, since every county in nebraska is just stuck at 0 for some reason. i'll look at it later

edit: here's risk levels (the metric I made a GIF about earlier this week)

https://i.imgur.com/AuxtekM.mp4

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 19, 2021

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm actually super loving worried about the next 6-8 weeks. like. it is now virtually guaranteed that millions of children are going to be infected with covid-19 — probably north of 75% of the entire school-age population, especially the elementary demographic — and the sheer overload of the health system this will cause is going to kill tens of thousands of children in the space of a month or two. I am deadass actually expecting that we are going to be facing down a hundred thousand dead children by some point in October. and I have no loving idea what happens after that. what happens after the biggest child mortality crisis in this country in more than a century, and this one self-manufactured.

like, the leadership and certain parts of the bourgeoisie are going to try to not give a poo poo beyond platitudes, and at least at first I expect a Sandy Hook-esque shrug, but by the time the death wave really sets in, even at only like 50,000 dead that's going to be six digits worth of parents who are just. just totally and completely out of their minds with grief and rage. and power will try and do nothing, and. they're going to want to express their anger.

i'm not predicting ~~civil war~~ because i don't expect it to be a war; war implies some level of organization. i just keep imagining this white-hot ball of rage erupting all across the country, and. it'll just be people doing poo poo because gently caress it, our children are dead, our world has already ended, and so far nobody has given a gently caress. well we'll make you give a gently caress.

like. tell me the molochian virus furnace we're about to shovel 60 million children into isn't going to result in massive child death, cspam. tell me the next few months I see ahead of us is just me doom-braining. :smith:

why are you worried about a normal situation

it's not normal to worry about something that is itself normal

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Thoguh posted:

Well, now I know to pencil in a fourth shot.

Doing the exact opposite of whatever the CDC is currently recommending seems to be the best way to keep ahead of things. It owns.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

no, you pretty much nailed what's going to happen if we continue on course, the numbers may be a bit different but the principle is sound. we're really loving this up on a scale people can't fathom

like i can't loving BELIEVE schools are still open

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Zisky posted:

It rules having a wife in one of the largest public health departments in the US because you get to hear leading indicators like "yeah in the next couple of weeks shits gonna get really really bad."

these anecdotes being the actual leading indicators are why this thread has been so drat valuable

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Shiroc posted:

I changed my legal name since getting my first two doses done. Maybe I should just do another 2 in my new name so I have a clean card. Then get my 'booster.'

you need to become more booster than poster.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Zisky posted:

tell her covid is just in her mind

corona familiar posted:

ever since that GIF i made a few days ago, i started working on a web app that could animate historical data from CovidActNow's dataset

it's really barebones right now, just a map and a date, but i can animate basically any field on this documentation page

here's a recording of cases per 100k (7 day average). placeholder colors, but red = 100 cases / 100k

nice work

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

SpaceDrake posted:

I distinctly feel like they are not prepared for the problem of "100,00 actual dead children and the probable national psychosis that results"

i'm going insane already

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceDrake posted:

in a country with ubiquitous gun ownership

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

corona familiar posted:

this is good

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Rubby posted:

all things being equal I would rather be seen lying about being immunocompromised than, even falsely, admitting to another human being that I have waited until nearly Sep-loving-tember before getting my first jab

This is why you use an obviously fake name like Guy Incognito or Max Titers

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

$300k in student loan debt is a lot less of a big deal when the average salary for a doctor in the U.S. is 232k to 511k depending on specialty.

You don't have to cry for doctors in the U.S. too much.

I'm way behind here, but I just want to stop and say that the risks behind 300k in student loan debt absolutely keep a ton of would be doctors out of the profession. Probably forces a bunch of crappy doctors to stay in the field too, because there's no way in hell you're going to pay off that kind of debt working at Starbucks.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

SpaceDrake posted:

Honestly nobody knows. We're in uncharted territory on this one. I expect social media censorship to ramp up as they try to keep the lid on things.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

SpaceDrake posted:

i basically told my therapist this exact thing, and she said to brain dump the whole thing in a notebook or voice memo or something, then focus on the things i can control and take care of those

i did that by buying a half-mask respirator and getting extremely baked, which definitely helped me feel better so maybe try that

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

It's okay to hope that it's not but be aware that there is a really good chance that children will get seriously sick and some will die. I can't even guess what numbers will be when places like Disney World are removing mask requirements at non-indoor areas and aren't bothering to force them in indoor areas except like theaters. There were a couple of posters on one of the big Disney forums saying that their school is already in quarantine so they're taking the kids to Disney even though they've already been exposed because the parents don't think it's a threat and their kids are 7 and 10, so it's not like it's that serious for them anyway, right?

The people were banned and the posts deleted, but if there's already posters doing that and saying it in a public space, there's more doing it behind the scenes. Theme parks, concerts, parties, etc: it's all wide open and not all of them have mask mandates, especially on more local level stuff. They sure don't in GA, where I am.

I'm off funerals for another couple of months (I -didn't- pass my psych test this time, first time ever, largely because I had a dog die in June and one in July and both were long-time buddies and it's been poo poo) but I fully expect to be burying polarities of ages when I return to it: the young and the elderly.

I'd say prep yourself for the worst and hope for the best.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I intend to hunker down in my bubble whenever I'm not at work and get baked out of my mind and try to puzzle my way through batman cartoons because thinking about the looming horror of the next few weeks for too long is like staring into the face of Cthulhu or someshit.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I still somehow have the feeling that no one will care about the dead kids. No one in america has ever cared about dead kids before in my lifetime

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
im gonna get a booster shot every three weeks for the next year

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

I still somehow have the feeling that no one will care about the dead kids. No one in america has ever cared about dead kids before in my lifetime

Nobody who actually protests about children has children themselves

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Casey Finnigan posted:

what is the american endgame here? just keep things open until every single hospital in the nation is overwhelmed? and then what? What the gently caress are we doing

“we’re not going back, that’s what.”

-jenn psaki

Morbus
May 18, 2004

SpaceDrake posted:

It won't matter if tens of thousands of children die because those deaths are going to be diffused throughout the whole uncaring, idiotic, selfish mass that is the American population. Most parents aren't going to have a seriously sick kid, and neither will the people they care about. At best, the average person will know 2nd or 3rd hand about some other kid that died, and they will rationalize it the same way they rationalize anything else that happens to someone who isn't them.

Sandy Hook is actually a good example because, while the total number of deaths there was significantly lower than what we may see with covid, those deaths were all concentrated in a single community. Multiple kids in a single school were murdered, from families who probably knew each other. And even then, nothing happened.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

corona familiar posted:

Holy poo poo

Eric Crackl-Ping and now this, talk about a rookie poster of the year

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Casey Finnigan posted:

what is the american endgame here? just keep things open until every single hospital in the nation is overwhelmed? and then what? What the gently caress are we doing

we're jealous of all the attention india got a few months ago

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Expect school board meetings to be held in secret from September on, lol

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

kalensc posted:

Holy poo poo

Eric Crackl-Ping and now this, talk about a rookie poster of the year

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

corona familiar posted:

i watched this with horrified fascination and the cut at the end just as it starts exploding right about now lol is perfectly terrifying

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
taking a more optimistic look, I doubt we'll see tens of thousands of dead kids in the next 4 to 8 weeks. yeah schools are opening but despite Florida literally on fire, child mortality is still pretty drat low for an out of control pandemic. I'm more worried about kids getting sick and having it affect them for life (my youngest struggled with seasonal allergies and when smoke's in the air) and the kids bringing it home to vulnerable family members. seeing 100,000+ child deaths in the next month or two doesn't seem plausible.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

things are looking bad for disney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

corona familiar posted:

this is cool

nobody lives in nebraska, it's just corn