Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hashy posted:

It's clear this is going to explode so I guess I'm getting the clot juice despite my various blood disorders. Nobody in my town has Pfizer available even for those whose doctors recommend stay away from AZ.

Interesting to weigh up two hard to quantify risks of fatal consequence.

you are assuming great personal risk because a few businesses decided they didnt want to take on a small financial risk. remember that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Synthbuttrange posted:

jeez nsw is rushing for 700

jump 700 and land right in the 800s

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what're the chances of victoria getting a handle on the spread?

also it's anecdotal but drat everything feels really mean and depressing regarding lockdowns and outbreaks at the moment. any sense of comradery and goodwill has vanished, any sense that the government mind find a way out has been huffed to death by gladys' nonsense every morning. it just feels like a grim day-by-day march to watch an ever-increasing number while nothing changes.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

what're the chances of victoria getting a handle on the spread?

Delta's a hard one to deal with, but the positive is that the increases in daily totals are generally coming from increased numbers of people already in isolation.

thatbastardken posted:

lmao the army are guarding qlds nsw border now, federation dissolving when?

There's a not implausible situation where Morrison decides that trying to claim premature victory over Covid is his path to re-election.

Scenario: It's early 2022 and Australia has hit the "80% of eligible population fully vaccinated" benchmark. With most restrictions removed most states are seeing a bunch of cases, however deaths are relatively low. WA and NT have their borders closed to other states, unwilling to give up their Covid-free status. Morrison is openly calling on them to re-open their borders, declaring that it's time to move on. He calls an election, running a campaign on looking forward and moving past Covid, and somehow scrapes back in. He declares this as a mandate and again tells WA and NT to open their borders. They again refuse, leading Morrison to declare he's withholding GST revenue until they "rejoin the country". In response WA declares they will stop supporting any ATO operation in WA until the GST flow restarts.

It's not likely, but in this broken timeline we live in I wouldn't count something like it out as impossible.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

Hashy posted:

It's clear this is going to explode so I guess I'm getting the clot juice despite my various blood disorders. Nobody in my town has Pfizer available even for those whose doctors recommend stay away from AZ.

Interesting to weigh up two hard to quantify risks of fatal consequence.
exact same :smith:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

perepelki posted:

exact same :smith:

It was cool to read, after my shot while making sure i understood the warning signs of AZ blood clots, that it could happen at any point 4-20 days after the first dose.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Laserface posted:

It was cool to read, after my shot while making sure i understood the warning signs of AZ blood clots, that it could happen at any point 4-20 days after the first dose.

4 to 42 days.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Laserface posted:

4 days of invincibility

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Apparently they've figured out how to treat it though (or which medicines not to give, like heparin), I was reading through the advice to doctors about it because I don't particularly want to die. Seemed reassuring

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

4 to 42 days.

Outstanding.

bell jar posted:

Apparently they've figured out how to treat it though (or which medicines not to give, like heparin), I was reading through the advice to doctors about it because I don't particularly want to die. Seemed reassuring

for the next 10 days i live walking distance to Westmead so at least I'll survive if it happens within that timeframe (it wont happen, statistically speaking but ya know)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

bell jar posted:

because I don't particularly want to die.

ok boomer

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Ive never seen bell jar and Peter Thiel in the same room, just saying

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Laserface posted:

Yeah but good luck getting treatment when the hospitals are full of covid patients

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

SuddenCactus posted:

I understand the rule, like you might have to go 10kms to get a specific medicine or something but it can very easily be abused.

lol if you think a cop won't beat you to death for trying to rules lawyer this

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Let 'er rip

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/2021/08/19/cant-pretend-nsw-covid posted:

Australia must come to terms with the Delta variant being here to stay and accept that COVID zero is not possible, the NSW Premier has declared.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Work mate who sits next to me (social distanced) found out they were at tier 2 site 4 days ago and went to get tested. I’m the only one in our office who is fully jabbed.

The LNP just surrendered to a virus.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Good piece here in the monthly about Gladys trying to spin the notion that actually it's a good thing for NSW to begin "living with the virus":

https://www.themonthly.com.au/today/rachel-withers/2021/19/2021/1629349587/live-it

I can handle leaders loving up. I can even handle them never admitting to responsibility for their gently caress-up (Dan didn't). But Jesus loving Christ, do not stand there every morning and pretend that this was actually the plan all along.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Oh yeah dumb question but if vaccination programs are a states thing why is Scott announcing Pfizer for all?

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

SuddenCactus posted:

I understand the rule, like you might have to go 10kms to get a specific medicine or something but it can very easily be abused.

Literally saw a post in the Newtown area group by an idiot thinking he was a genius for working out the 5km radius in surrounding LGAS to extend where he could shop and go for more exciting walks/outdoor activities, and presenting it as like "hey guys, let's all do this so lockdown doesn't get too dull, you can travel further out than just our LGA!"

.... thankfully the entirety of the comments were calling him a dumb oval office, but I'm still not sure he "got" why.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

Good piece here in the monthly about Gladys trying to spin the notion that actually it's a good thing for NSW to begin "living with the virus":

https://www.themonthly.com.au/today/rachel-withers/2021/19/2021/1629349587/live-it

I can handle leaders loving up. I can even handle them never admitting to responsibility for their gently caress-up (Dan didn't). But Jesus loving Christ, do not stand there every morning and pretend that this was actually the plan all along.

Yeah. Most of us know that it will be a thing everywhere eventually, but the plan was always to get vaccinated before then.

Fucker is doing the equivalent of saying it's unrealistic to expect there to be no bushfires in future while dropping lit matches behind her.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

freebooter posted:

27 people dead, a reminder. 27 people have died as a direct cause of this outbreak. It's a good thing we learn to live with this virus, and realise there will be more deaths in far greater amounts. And Gladys wants to spread the virus to the other states, which is the real reason Queensland asked the Feds for troops on the state border, because Gladys doesn't want to be in this alone. She wants us all to experience more covid deaths.

She is hosed in the head. We really do need some mechanism in this country to recall politcal leaders.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Konomex posted:

27 people dead, a reminder. 27 people have died as a direct cause of this outbreak. It's a good thing we learn to live with this virus, and realise there will be more deaths in far greater amounts. And Gladys wants to spread the virus to the other states, which is the real reason Queensland asked the Feds for troops on the state border, because Gladys doesn't want to be in this alone. She wants us all to experience more covid deaths.

Well you see, she won't look so bad when the rest of us are drowning in cases like NSW is.

I mean Gladys and the Libs, (both NSW and Federal), have already lost face in how quickly Qld. locked down and took care of its cases, and as much as they are laughing at Vic.'s multiple lockdowns, we seem to be doing a half decent job of keeping the current numbers down and I have hope that in a couple of weeks we will be down to single figures and some relaxation of rules.

(This is not mentioning WA and Tas.'s attitude of "shut the loving borders! keep those mainlanders and easterners out." having worked a treat and SA being well prepared to snap shut for a week to keep a handle on it.)

I agree that she wants to spread it outside NSW, because then it becomes "our" collective problem that we are all doing our best to fight, instead of "her" problem that she is loving up whilst the rest of us look on in despair, pity and anger.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

BrigadierSensible posted:

I agree that she wants to spread it outside NSW, because then it becomes "our" collective problem that we are all doing our best to fight, instead of "her" problem that she is loving up whilst the rest of us look on in despair, pity and anger.

That's exactly what I thought when I read this

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-18/detainees-from-sydney-covid-19-hotspot-fly-to-western-australia/100387032

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Konomex posted:

Gladys wants to spread the virus to the other states, which is the real reason Queensland asked the Feds for troops on the state border, because Gladys doesn't want to be in this alone. She wants us all to experience more covid deaths

I don't think she's smart enough to plan that far ahead given her track record of "we didn't anticipate this" despite every other state anticipating this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Neoliberals literally don't believe in consequences. They can't connect cause and effect.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Neoliberals literally don't believe in consequences. They can't connect cause and effect.

There's no other plausible reason they didn't lock down immediately. They know exactly what happens. We've seen it many times. Any sane human being could have predicted it. It can only be "if i lockdown, that will make me look bad, and that's bad. So I won't lockdown" and that's it

it's loving laughable anyone looks to these morons for economic policy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

abigserve posted:

There's no other plausible reason they didn't lock down immediately. They know exactly what happens. We've seen it many times. Any sane human being could have predicted it. It can only be "if i lockdown, that will make me look bad, and that's bad. So I won't lockdown" and that's it

it's loving laughable anyone looks to these morons for economic policy.

Nah, they're not stupid. Selfish and self-centered yes, but not always stupid.

They know from experience that the way the media works means they can largely avoid consequences. If they don't lock down and it works out they look like they have nerves of steel, doing the right thing.

When not locking down backfires they put on their sad face and say that there was no way to know this was going to happen, the strategy had worked before, blah blah blah and they just keep repeating that they've done the right thing at every point enough times until a big enough chunk of the population assumes they did, because if they didn't surely they wouldn't be allowed to say it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

They're the kind of people that admire the mayor in Jaws.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Konomex posted:

She is hosed in the head. We really do need some mechanism in this country to recall politcal leaders.

Yeah bit too :tinfoil: for my tastes.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i absolutely buy Gladys's desire for other states to be struggling with covid - it's a lot simpler from a political perspective and realigns reality to her constant expression that NSW = Australia.

it's pretty clear that she 's trying to spin what's happening in NSW as the common, 'new normal' australian experience with covid delta. that's a lot easier if every state is struggling to control their outbreaks and not getting numbers down. the consequential damage of that (ie: dead bodies) is not something she necessarily wants but also not something that she, a career politician facing a lot of blowback from nearly everyone now, has been focused on.

specifically sending highly contagious people across the border to gently caress up other states is a bit tinfoil hat for me, but also, as soon as i think the bar is too low for the libs, they somehow limbo right under it. so who knows

edit: ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ yes absolutely

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 19, 2021

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Directly responsible for spreading it? No. Indirectly, yes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SMH posted:

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller has told his officers he won’t hold them to account for wrongly issuing COVID-19 fines in a call to prioritise health order enforcement outside emergency duties.

:acab:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Look, it’s not for Gladys to comment on what other governments do…

https://youtu.be/NQQHfPrc_nU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amazing, just straight up lying and cheating and no loving consequences.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Eediot Jedi posted:

Yeah bit too :tinfoil: for my tastes.

I mean yeah. But on the other hand someone flew in a bunch of detainees and guards from the most red hot Covid zone in NSW into WA without even so much as telling WA under the cover of Federal government business without it would seem a plan for if they would quarantine any of those people for the next 2 weeks. So who knows at this point.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

A gas company that won $21m in grants to frack in the Beetaloo Basin paid for a charter flight for the head of a Liberal party fundraising body to inspect its operations alongside the energy minister, Angus Taylor, documents handed to a Senate inquiry show.

A Senate inquiry into fracking in the Beetaloo Basin has been examining a grants scheme designed to incentivise exploratory drilling in the region as part of the Morrison government’s gas-led recovery.

gently caress me, Federal ICAC now. This corruption is so loving defeating. Gas lead recovery in the world of 2021. 10 years to 1.5C. What a pack of absolute cunts.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

hooman posted:

What a pack of absolute cunts.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Gladys just said "now is the time to bunker down" so to be sure to cancel all the gallery openings and black tie dinners you had booked in the coming months

Doc Holliday
Dec 24, 2002
Bunker down... I'm trying to work out what I've already been doing for the last 2 months. I'm still deeply troubled by these discussions about opening things in NSW for those fortunate enough to secure vaccination thus far. October seems like crazy talk when you don't know what the peak rate of infection even looks like and then you want people to go, "Don't worry, I'm vaccinated" as they unwittingly spread freedom to the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Still only being strict in Areas of Concern. Wonder when the whole state will become an Area of Concern. Maybe they’ll take it seriously then…