Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

"i see you're trying to use your phone in bed. i've rotated your screen and you won't be able to move it back for what seems like eternity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

nowadays where are the differences in "computational photography" when it comes to phones? is it hardware, or mainly pure research (plus implementation)?

i assume latter but have no actual clue how presumable cold patent wars maybe end up being fought in the camera parts of phones nowadays given that even cheap processors seem real quick despite intentional machine learning cpu parts maybe making image processing more instantaneous feeling etc

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

god drat i never did the quote isn't edit thing until recently i have become an old

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
the google pixel camera sensor is like 6 years at this point so I assume it's mostly the algorithm

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, going by (the rather ancient) component list vs. results i think google still has some proper secret sauce going on. works both ways though, as i am pretty sure the lack of camera updates have been because they have vast training sets for every aspect of that old camera building the postprocessing models (likely including just about every photo anyone has taken with it passing through google photos).

now the pixel 6 getting modernized including one of those periscope setups, so it might turn out fantastic. but not about to buy a google phone no matter what, so does little for me.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
The pixels video was garbage I’m guessing because it didn’t have the chops to do all the processing in real-time at 30/60 fps, so you’re left with the garbage sensor.

Apparently this is fixed in the 6

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
wrap it up, anroidailures

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/googles-fuchsia-os-gets-a-wider-rollout-will-soon-hit-all-first-gen-nest-hubs/

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Bulgakov posted:

nowadays where are the differences in "computational photography" when it comes to phones? is it hardware, or mainly pure research (plus implementation)?

i assume latter but have no actual clue how presumable cold patent wars maybe end up being fought in the camera parts of phones nowadays given that even cheap processors seem real quick despite intentional machine learning cpu parts maybe making image processing more instantaneous feeling etc

very much the latter. phone imagery hardware will always be lol because of the form factor, but you can throw a ton of ML power at a dataset to magically make tiny sensors see in the dark

idk if there's much interesting in the hardware beyond shoving multiple lenses in, which i figure was less a breakthrough and more recognizing that phones had captured the casual photography market and you may as well for a competitive edge

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:

:magemage:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

andoird.jpg

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lol. best case scenario is nobody notices they swapped out the os. it’s 100% downside from there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

android 2011: too many clocks
android 2021: too many phones

progress?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

google fucks ya is the only product they will not deprecate, so good on the nest team (wait, is new nest hardware still being made?)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

this is called user choice

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Anne Frank Funk posted:

google fucks ya is the only product they will not deprecate, so good on the nest team (wait, is new nest hardware still being made?)

nest the company is dead. it’s now just a brand name for Google’s home hardware.

also lol if you think fuchsia won’t be killed in a few years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Management posted:

also lol if you think fuchsia won’t be killed in a few years

i think they'll kill it sooner than that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think fuchsia will probably just become android tbqh and they’ll pretend to be able to update old phones and not have to take responsibility for security holes in oem drivers or whatever

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

fuchsia will not replace android because people will need to write drivers and lol at qualcomm (and samsung, much less allwinner and other soc manufacturers) having the right engineers to build for a new API and data structures, rather than continue to coast on a legacy codebase.

Why suffer the risk of regressions or reopening old security holes when you can just build and ship whatever you got?

Alternatively, google can lift sk_buff and the apis directly. Kinda doubt they'd do that though.

The real use case for fuchsia might be for standalone in-house gadgets that can be kept entirely closed source. With the right to tinker and right to repair laws and movements gaining steam, this may not be a good solution after all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Man I wish windows phone had taken off

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think they would have done anything much different than they did around platform shifts, abandoning old hardware and the like if it was more popular, microsoft of the time was pretty much incapable of making good decisions

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Man I wish webos had taken off

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

I don't think they would have done anything much different than they did around platform shifts, abandoning old hardware and the like if it was more popular, microsoft of the time was pretty much incapable of making good decisions

microsoft is a better company than google, though

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

it did take off, but it just didn’t come back.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

microsoft is a better company than google, though

microsoft only survived the ballmer years due to inertia, and even now, most of their new consumer products have the same adoption and lifespan of a google chat protocol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

still have my trusty working touchpad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
same.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The_Franz posted:

microsoft only survived the ballmer years due to inertia, and even now, most of their new consumer products have the same adoption and lifespan of a google chat protocol
the late ballmer years were so funny

my favorite bit was when he sent out a big all-hands memo to address the increasing drift and dysfunction that microsoft was sliding into, and wrote many impassioned paragraphs about the need to focus because the company always did best when it had a clear focus and they needed to get back to focusing on what was really important

...and then he listed off the TEN things that they needed to focus on

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

• hd-dvd
  • silverlight
  • PlaysForSure
  • windows phone
  • windows rt
  • metro apps

the worst thing isn't that Microsoft failed so hard on this

it's that other companies were suckered into partnering with them on it

does anyone remember that the Dreamcast had a Windows CE logo on it? Turns out that it was not a badge, but a curse.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

FMguru posted:

the late ballmer years were so funny

my favorite bit was when he sent out a big all-hands memo to address the increasing drift and dysfunction that microsoft was sliding into, and wrote many impassioned paragraphs about the need to focus because the company always did best when it had a clear focus and they needed to get back to focusing on what was really important

...and then he listed off the TEN things that they needed to focus on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GM4Lt5k24s

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
people give google poo poo for chat apps but Microsoft has about as many and has depreciated about as many too

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:rip: comic chat

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Wild EEPROM posted:

people give google poo poo for chat apps but Microsoft has about as many and has depreciated about as many too

It just feels like that because they keep renaming what was originally lync

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wheany posted:

It just feels like that because they keep renaming what was originally lync office communicator

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Wheany posted:

It just feels like that because they keep renaming what was originally lync

yeah, this is the thing, if you went onto office communicator back in 2007 you have had uninterrupted updates and support (not to mention uninterruptedly ever-changing branding) since, and with a promise that it'll keep working until 2025. and the effort to actually migrate people onto teams has a bit more meat to it than the google "well, here's the new thing, it is different from the old thing" announcement.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
anroid.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anne Frank Funk posted:

my nest thermostat literally damaged my AC unit a few weeks ago, and is not an isolated incident for them apparently. perfect choice for google to buy.

shame another company didnt buy them and make them better as i dug the unit itself, but im sure the google versions have the same issues and added some new elements in that suck too.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, this is the thing, if you went onto office communicator back in 2007 you have had uninterrupted updates and support (not to mention uninterruptedly ever-changing branding) since, and with a promise that it'll keep working until 2025. and the effort to actually migrate people onto teams has a bit more meat to it than the google "well, here's the new thing, it is different from the old thing" announcement.

back in may 2021 microsoft started rolling out an update for the teams back-end infra and client that changed the way it communicates, specifically at L4 with STUN. the idea was to improve performance and apparently it lets them support calls with up to 1k participants. the roll-out of the change has apparently been progressive across regions and it appears that it has hit AU this week. as we found out the change makes clients a shitton more chatty which resulted in traffic log output doubling from all state gov depts lmao

teams? TEAMS!? oh yes, teams

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
IT tried to switch us to teams for chat. engineering rebelled and forced them to keep slack.

anyway, Microsoft chat apps are funny because they are corporate directives that are entirely stupid and contradictory and will be killed or changed or messed up once they change direction

Google chat apps are funny because they’re just something any group can spit out whenever it wants and has no pretense of cohesion or strategy and will be killed once the people who write it get tired of maintaining it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Teams also had basically no improvements from 2015-2020.
Even now it's barely any better, just a few fruity features like virtual backgrounds.
People have been complaining about lack of Markdown and screenshots looking like poo poo for close to a decade now.