Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Sounds good, probably something I just need to get used to.

You really will. I have a 30 inch inseam and had a DRZ for years and a similarly tall sumo now. It’s no problem at all. You’ll get used to just using one foot at a stop within your first couple hours riding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
So, on the selling side, rather than the buying side, I had made a minor effort to sell my F4 CBR. I only posted it on Craigslist and it was not fun. Probably 35 emails. Most pointless (like a single sentence that says "run good?". Two people came to see it in person. One just "wanted to sit on it". The other just wanted to hear it idle (despite me posting a cold start/idle video). Im pretty tired of wasting time with it.

I think this is just me complaining, but if there are any tips for trying to move it, Im open to suggestions.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kastivich posted:

So, on the selling side, rather than the buying side, I had made a minor effort to sell my F4 CBR. I only posted it on Craigslist and it was not fun. Probably 35 emails. Most pointless (like a single sentence that says "run good?". Two people came to see it in person. One just "wanted to sit on it". The other just wanted to hear it idle (despite me posting a cold start/idle video). Im pretty tired of wasting time with it.

I think this is just me complaining, but if there are any tips for trying to move it, Im open to suggestions.

There's a ton of good advice a lot of people will respond with, but consider this.
Every seller is waiting for that one mythical buyer who shows up with cash, offers asking price or a couple of hundred off, and doesn't ask any questions. That person might as well not exist, and the chances of one crossing your path is less likely then spotting a one horned leprechaun. There's a load of factors to consider, like how much you need the money, and how much of it you need, and how fast do you need it, but that guy who shows up with cash and a lowball offer? Just sell it to him. Because nobody is going to give you what you're asking for a 21 year old rashed up sport bike, regardless of what you're asking. Especially with summer waning. Someone offers you a grand, just take it. Or wait until spring and maybe get two.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

There's a ton of good advice a lot of people will respond with, but consider this.
Every seller is waiting for that one mythical buyer who shows up with cash, offers asking price or a couple of hundred off, and doesn't ask any questions. That person might as well not exist, and the chances of one crossing your path is less likely then spotting a one horned leprechaun. There's a load of factors to consider, like how much you need the money, and how much of it you need, and how fast do you need it, but that guy who shows up with cash and a lowball offer? Just sell it to him. Because nobody is going to give you what you're asking for a 21 year old rashed up sport bike, regardless of what you're asking. Especially with summer waning. Someone offers you a grand, just take it. Or wait until spring and maybe get two.

Literally happened to me (after about 3 months of it being on ebay/autotrader/facebook). They exist. Just takes a while.

Advice: Ignore every single message other than "can I come see the bike?".

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m looking at a DRZ400S on Monday and asked the guy if there’s anyone else in line before me. He said yes but they’re all lowballing him by anywhere from 3-800. It’s 3k which is suspiciously low already but it is a little banged up visually, hopefully not mechanically, so maybe that’s why. I told him that I’d do cash in hand asking price if I’m interested so I don’t know if I’m being naive or too impulsive but I honestly don’t want to quibble over like three hundred dollars. If it’s banged up I don’t really want to bargain down but just walk away.

I guess he can turn around and tell them that he’s got someone offering full price to sell it before then which would suck but w/e.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Two rookie buyer mistakes:

- omg a bike in front of me I really want a bike and here is one in front of me *hands over wad of cash without thinking, finds the cracked frame later*

- getting the 'best' bike for your budget as opposed to the best condition aka I should've bought a mint SV but I got a half destroyed gixxer instead and now I'm hosed

Kastivich posted:

Here

Slavvy posted:

I have only ever sold bikes online and have literally never lost money even on the few where it looked like I'd crash and burn badly, so here's some serious advice on how to flick a shitter:

Pretty much everything hinges on the photos in your listing, your description and your pricing as these do the bulk of the work in filtering out the morons and attracting serious buyers. Take good pictures.

By good pictures I mean get a hold of a DSLR with a long distance/portrait lens or something similar so you can take a few really pretty magazine style shots with competent framing. Give the bike a super anal retentive clean beforehand, use favorable lighting conditions. Only take 3-4 pictures, a few really good pics works much much better than twenty lovely ones. A smart phone can work in a pinch but you have to be more creative with angles etc. Don't take pictures of tires, instruments, other close up bullshit; it's just more chances for people to spot imperfections. Your want pretty distance shots that look inviting and make people want to look at the bike in person. Keep the description brief, don't go into details, just explain the tax status etc and give a reason for selling that ISN'T 'want to upgrade' or anything else that implies you're at all unhappy with the bike.

When it comes to the actual sale, make sure the bike is clean and tires pumped up and just generally the best it can be from a rider's perspective. In dealing with the buyers, say NOTHING unless you're asked; let them talk themselves up to it on their own. Never say anything negative about the bike if you can, never talk price until they do first, be generous (within reason) about test rides. Most of the sale is in the mind of the buyer and you trying to persuade them will just make it harder.

Example of what I mean:

That bike is much, much shittier than your street 750, wouldn't survive a competent inspection from 10 feet away and definitely the most challenging bike I've ever tried to make a profit on. But I did, because the guy convinced himself it was his dream bike from the photos alone and the actual inspection was just a formality.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Two rookie buyer mistakes:

- omg a bike in front of me I really want a bike and here is one in front of me *hands over wad of cash without thinking, finds the cracked frame later*

Me looking at my first Ninja 250: "Wow this bike is mint"

Me after trailering it home and washing it: "Wait is this latex house paint??"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Literally happened to me (after about 3 months of it being on ebay/autotrader/facebook). They exist. Just takes a while.

Advice: Ignore every single message other than "can I come see the bike?".

I'm one of those buyers too, but I'm only showing up for something good that I want, and nobody wants a banged up ancient F4 CBR for the price of a nearly new mint R3.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This is almost completely irrelevant to the conversation but I absolutely loved my CBR600FX, which I think is the same as an F4. 1999 carbed model?

I'd prefer a good one to an R3 for general pootling around, but yeah it would need to be not hosed and would also need to be not new R3 money.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

This is almost completely irrelevant to the conversation but I absolutely loved my CBR600FX, which I think is the same as an F4. 1999 carbed model?

I'd prefer a good one to an R3 for general pootling around, but yeah it would need to be not hosed and would also need to be not new R3 money.

Yeah I saw in the buy and sell thread that OP was asking $3500 and while I really don't know the market where he is, my gut feeling is that is about $1500 too much money if you really want it gone.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

This is all excellent advice, since I'm going to be both selling and buying a bike within the next year. Is there any advice for bargaining with dealers? I know there isn't much of any wiggle room during COVID times but what should I know?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Buying a second hand bike from a dealer costs more but gets you nothing, people still seem to do it for some reason though

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Buying a second hand bike from a dealer costs more but gets you nothing, people still seem to do it for some reason though

It'll get you a bike with a safety certificate. And usually plated too, saving you a trip to the ministry. Private sellers sometimes offer bikes with a current safety too, but they're going to be asking close to dealer prices anyway. Whether or not a safetied bike is worth the premium is the buyer's judgement call though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's a safety certificate? Is it like an MOT?

E: speeling

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 20, 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What's a safety certificate? Is it like an MOT?

E: speeling

Yeah, but here in Canada (or the province of Ontario at least), they're only required when a vehicle changes ownership, so you can keep any old POS on the road for as long as you own it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah it’s super rare to find someone selling a bike willing to offer a current safety. No one really wants to possibly have to put money into something they’re trying to get rid of, so they’ll usually just say “needs nothing to safety” but won’t actually do it unless they’re super confident. My friend managed to get her Marauder safetied by the seller and I thought that was like winning the lottery.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

Yeah, but here in Canada (or the province of Ontario at least), they're only required when a vehicle changes ownership, so you can keep any old POS on the road for as long as you own it.

Yeah I see so many rolling death traps on the roads in the US it's insane. Yesterday I saw an A8L with its trunk bungee strapped down from being rear-ended lmao. I was in a minor accident about 18 months ago, and I had my car towed to a body shop, because any additional damage incurred from operating the car after the accident isn't going to be covered (or at least not by the initial at-fault party's insurance). I guess some people just have really poor decision making skills and buying a 100k-when-new car and underinsuring it is one of them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Lmao this is an amazing and actually fantastic system. Here you don't need to do anything with you sell but need to have a safety check every six months (or a year for modern stuff), meaning you can sell something with destroyed tires etc, the new owner goes for an inspection and crashes and burns on everything.

Luckily, inspections are like $40 so finding a corrupt inspector is easier than finding a decent mechanic. The system works!

So it's kind of cool that you're obligated to maintain your own standard of not-death but have to bow to the state when you sell or take a huge market value hit. I would definitely prefer that system. But then you have the mass death of unsafe vehicles so, potato potato.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I recently sold a few bikes and I offered to get them safetied upon having a firm buyer. No one took me up on it for some reason.

The one guy was going to modify the bike right away so it wasn’t going on the road immediately.

The other the guy picked it up with a 10 day temporary permit and then promptly broke a turn signal and paid me to fix it prior to the safety.

I actually had a bike fail a safety for play in the rear wheel recently. Don’t know how I missed it when putting the back wheel in.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
On the topic of buying and selling, got a weird one I'd like some opinions on because I'm worried about a sticky situation here. I'm currently manning the shop I work at alone as the owner is off camping with his kid and has no cell signal.

Guy calls me up the other day wanting to buy a bike and have it delivered to another state, 4-5 hours away, because that's where he's at right now, although he does live in our area here. I look at the map and tell him ok but I think we'd need like $900 to trailer it over there, it would take one of our guys more than 8 hours to do the job. He says yeah and gives me a deposit over the phone on an 83 CX650 sight unseen. Thing is we might have trouble reaching him because he tells me he's in a psych ward (his words) at the moment. Because he had a "collapse"(???) while vacationing which was not mental health related but he had a history of some kind that motivated them to check him into that facility.

I tentatively agree to all this thinking none of it is gonna happen before the boss gets back anyway and we can discuss. Then an hour later the same dude calls back and asks some more questions and finds out we have a 2002 BMW R1200CL also for sale and decides he wants that instead. And even though it needs a battery and won't start at the moment he wants to take it and he'll do the battery himself. Those bikes are enormous, if you're not aware, and it's like a 1-2 hour job to replace the battery if you're not intimately familiar with them. He did say he was an electrical engineer and built bikes himself before so he can handle things like that. He offers me less money than we were asking, since it needs the battery, and I agree to it and he pays me the full price over the phone on a card. Oh and the card belonged to his...significant other? I think?

So like, I've known this guy in a very mild way for several years now, he's been by the shop several times before, he's not an unknown quantity. He's always been an odd dude but he never seemed like, unstable to me. But I'm having second thoughts on the whole thing for obvious reasons because I'm not sure that everyone is in their right mind here. I don't want to end up facilitating a manic episode or whatever, and I'd rather not have the hassle of doing and then undoing the paperwork of a sale, and pushing the 700lb bike out front for him to fix in our parking lot. I don't really know what I can do other than refund him and refuse to sell him anything, though, and that seems extreme. He wasn't like, slurring his speech or forgetting what state he lives in. He's just weird I think?

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Refund the money, tell him you'd be happy to make the sale for the agreed price when he can make it into the shop.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

On the topic of buying and selling, got a weird one I'd like some opinions on because I'm worried about a sticky situation here. I'm currently manning the shop I work at alone as the owner is off camping with his kid and has no cell signal.

Guy calls me up the other day wanting to buy a bike and have it delivered to another state, 4-5 hours away, because that's where he's at right now, although he does live in our area here. I look at the map and tell him ok but I think we'd need like $900 to trailer it over there, it would take one of our guys more than 8 hours to do the job. He says yeah and gives me a deposit over the phone on an 83 CX650 sight unseen. Thing is we might have trouble reaching him because he tells me he's in a psych ward (his words) at the moment. Because he had a "collapse"(???) while vacationing which was not mental health related but he had a history of some kind that motivated them to check him into that facility.

I tentatively agree to all this thinking none of it is gonna happen before the boss gets back anyway and we can discuss. Then an hour later the same dude calls back and asks some more questions and finds out we have a 2002 BMW R1200CL also for sale and decides he wants that instead. And even though it needs a battery and won't start at the moment he wants to take it and he'll do the battery himself. Those bikes are enormous, if you're not aware, and it's like a 1-2 hour job to replace the battery if you're not intimately familiar with them. He did say he was an electrical engineer and built bikes himself before so he can handle things like that. He offers me less money than we were asking, since it needs the battery, and I agree to it and he pays me the full price over the phone on a card. Oh and the card belonged to his...significant other? I think?

So like, I've known this guy in a very mild way for several years now, he's been by the shop several times before, he's not an unknown quantity. He's always been an odd dude but he never seemed like, unstable to me. But I'm having second thoughts on the whole thing for obvious reasons because I'm not sure that everyone is in their right mind here. I don't want to end up facilitating a manic episode or whatever, and I'd rather not have the hassle of doing and then undoing the paperwork of a sale, and pushing the 700lb bike out front for him to fix in our parking lot. I don't really know what I can do other than refund him and refuse to sell him anything, though, and that seems extreme. He wasn't like, slurring his speech or forgetting what state he lives in. He's just weird I think?

Ok so my partner works in a psych ward and this is the kind of thing that can happen when a patient gets ahold of a phone. If you know where he's being kept, I would call the ward and tell the nurse what's happened. They probably can't tell you much about him due to patient confidentiality, but they can take away his phone priveleges (assuming he even has them and hasn't made off with the ward phone), because he's probably not just doing this with you. If you're not sure about issuing a refund, just stall/deflect until your boss gets back to make that call. I would hazard a guess that none of these purchases are real, and he'll probably be thankful once he's stable that he hasn't got an extra couple of motorbikes where his money used to be.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

As a small business owner, imo at this point you should stop and do absolutely nothing else until your boss is back and can figure out how best to proceed/unwind the sale. This has become a mess that's above your pay grade/skillset, especially if this person is not in their right mind and you've taken money from him, potentially via a cc that isn't his.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yep! The situation is now clear, the actual significant other of the "significant other" called and said "no the guy is a bit nuts he was only supposed to use that card for gas and a hotel so we cancelled the card." Seems a bit obvious in retrospect, if a guy calls up and says he's in a psych ward and doesn't have his own cell and is using someone else's credit card, the answer should be "yeah maybe not"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Reminds me of the time someone called up and ordered $20k worth of cameras on a credit card to ship to Canada and then did a charge back after we shipped them.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

So I got a test ride booked for the Rocket 3 GT on Sunday 22nd in Edinburgh. They don't have a Rocket 3 R in the showroom as a demo machine, which is a shame, as I'd like to have ridden them back to back to see/feel the difference.

I might take the GT from Triumph Edinburgh, ride it to Triumph Aberdeen, see if Aberdeen have an R to test ride.

I test rode this Rocket 3 GT in and around Edinburgh today:

Thoughts:

1. Ergo wise it felt excellent:
i) Distance to the GT's forward foot pegs in their own position "2" was excellent. Taller people could put the forwards in position "1" and shorter people could put them in position "3". Alternatively, you could just swap the pegs out for the R's mid foot pegs, which are also adjustable similarly, but just further back.
ii) The GT's foot pegs had my feet feeling more clamped on and secure than Fat Bob's default Harley pegs.
iii) The GT's handlebars were just the right height and width and weren't swept back so much as to impinge a nerve on my wrists (the Fat Boy I had test ridden a few months back were too swept, resulting in that nerve hurting on that bike). A lovely relaxed posture, more relaxed than my Fat Bob's.
iv) Seat: just wow. Absolutely excellent. So comfortable. I'd say Fat Bob's is 7/10. The GT's is a solid 9.5/10. Bob's passenger seat's lip digs into my back sometimes if I am not sitting perfectly; none of that issue with the GT.
v) Grips: heat from the heated grips, excellent: nice and responsive heating and easy to operate. The grips are too narrow though. I like a girthy grip, like the Harley has. The GT had my hand and fingers aching a bit because it was relatively a narrow grip for my L/XL hands to grip. I asked them do they do chunkier grips? No. drat.
iv) Vibrations: minimal.

2. Throttle:
i) Acceleration: excellent, of course.
ii) Not at all jerky. Nice and smooth.
iii) Happy to be in first in the city, not much clutch feathering required.
iv) No slop, so excellent.

3. Clutch:
i) Nice and light. No hand ache, even with lots of city trafic.
ii) Bite point, absolutely fine. Was expecting it to be worse than a cable clutch, but nope, was absolutely fine, spot on.

4. Front brake:
i) Good. Powerful. Easy to modulate.

5. Rear brake:
i) Good. Decent. Easy to modulate.

6. Instrument cluster:
i) Excellent, barring one slight annoyance: My Harley tells me instantly when it is in Neutral once I've put it in Neutral. The GT has a one or two second lag to tell me "yes, you are now in Neutral". This is like the most minor of quibbles.

7. Hill hold:
i) Nice but sort of pointless, I'd probably turn it off so as not to "get used to it".

8. Cruise control:
i) Didn't try it.

9. Exhaust:
i) Nice enough. The Harley sounds better.

10. Petrol related things:
i) The filler cap is naff plasti-ey crap and under it is a second door which needs you to fish out a key to use open it. Annoying.
ii) LOL mpg-wise. 30ish on proper riding, 20 in the city.
iii) Capacity at 18L is OK. Would have preferred it to be 22L or something given how big it is; it probably has a large cutout in the middle underneath.

11. Keyless ignition:
i) Excellent.

12. Handling:
i) Excellent, turns perfectly fine on tight turns as well as on big A roads.
ii) Leaning it over felt fine.
iii) The weight is absolutely immaterial and not-able-to-be-felt, at least at my skill levels.
iv) Holds a line and tracks nicely.

13. Suspension:
i) Very good. Significantly better than Fat Bob's. So comfortable. Potholes/undulations in the road etc, all smoothed out nicely. I'm sure a Goldwing is better and magic-carpet like, but this was very very very good.

14. Switch gear:
i) Indicating was fine.
ii) Ignition was fine.
iii) Didn't try anything else.

15. Looks:
i) Generally excellent.
ii) Tri-colour grey is meh. Would take it in gloss black + chrome exhaust, the all-black special or the R model in red, but swap in all the GT parts.

16. General feel of the riding and engine:
i) Bob is more "fun" than the GT.
ii) Bob has more "character" than the GT.
I really don't know how to put it in any other way.

So in summary, a great bike, but would I sell Bob and get a GT? Hmmm. Maybe. Need to have a think and research wider grips options. Or just get the GT later next year as a longer distance cruiser.

Also of note:
They had their triple black special edition GT in the shop as well:

I also sat on the Rocket 3 R in red. Beautiful, but the ergos are nowhere near as good as the GT.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I see a sissy bar but where are the passenger pegs?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

I see a sissy bar but where are the passenger pegs?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Steakandchips posted:

They had their triple black special edition GT in the shop as well:

This kind of looks like a mobility scooter?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Shelvocke posted:

:iceburn:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Oh, forgot to mention, shifts were "snick", not "CLANK".

I missed the "CLANK", sometimes felt like I hadn't even shifted when I had.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It almost looks like they're dark siding that rear tire

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

It almost looks like they're dark siding that rear tire

Aye, it's a big boy.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Shelvocke posted:

Lol I thought triumph had made a trike at first.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Oh, forgot to mention, shifts were "snick", not "CLANK".

I missed the "CLANK", sometimes felt like I hadn't even shifted when I had.

Series Landy owner spotted.

Steakandchips posted:

Aye, it's a big boy.

It comes with an appendage too? Does it pop out of the seat or what? Did Bad Dragon sponsor that one?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ROFLMAO

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

Series Landy owner spotted.

It comes with an appendage too? Does it pop out of the seat or what? Did Bad Dragon sponsor that one?

:lol:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Nofeed posted:

Magnetically attracted to yellow Porsches and roadside boulders, alas.

Way late but work has been busy and what a post holy gently caress :vince:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I feel like testing out a Road King now, perhaps that will be both great comfort and fun.

E: The Road King Special, in black.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

nobody has ever accused me of making a good decision before im framing this post and hanging it on my wall

Im disagreeing and you should have gotten an M 1000RR to match the new ride :colbert: