Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Did they goof or am I forgetting a Frakes cameo on Discovery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That’s his Big drat Hero moment at the end of Picard. He’s on the Disco bridge set because they’re cheap as poo poo and he was in Toronto directing Discovery at the time anyway.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

V-Men posted:

That's certainly Janeway's dilemma. She has to balance he needs of her crew and her ship with B'Lanna's needs. But it ultimately comes out to the crew's and ship's material needs (to have a chief engineer) versus B'Lanna's desire to not be treated using the research conducted by a war criminal.

Also, did the hologram actually have evil tendencies? I thought he said "well i'm a hologram based on Federation records. i don't know if i was a war criminal but the computer can extrapolate my opinion of whether it's okay to use his work"

Meanwhile Janeway happily zips around in shuttles and goes on away missions even though she's the highest ranking Starfleet officer the entire quadrant.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
If you question that you have to question why any bridge officer is on any away team.

TNG at least had the idea that Riker would be an action man on away teams and Picard would stay on the ship and do his job, but that didn't hold.

Even sending Riker is crazy, they have a crew of thousands on the Galaxy class, they don't have a specially trained away team?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

https://twitter.com/ShimermanArmin/status/1428444598666338305?s=19

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

If you question that you have to question why any bridge officer is on any away team.

TNG at least had the idea that Riker would be an action man on away teams and Picard would stay on the ship and do his job, but that didn't hold.

Even sending Riker is crazy, they have a crew of thousands on the Galaxy class, they don't have a specially trained away team?

But at least in the Alpha Quadrant that's somewhat excusable, but if Janeway dies arguably the whole crew is kind of screwed as she was holding the Maquis and Starfleet elements together.

That there isn't a squad a marines on every ship doing away missions and security is also a little bizarre. Like, this is a universe with the transporter and people/entities can show up at any time. When humans went Warp 5 for the first time they got boarded almost immediately, so it's not some esoteric threat.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Most of the time in TNG, Data was usually the commander of the away team, if i remember right statistically.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

skooma512 posted:

But at least in the Alpha Quadrant that's somewhat excusable, but if Janeway dies arguably the whole crew is kind of screwed as she was holding the Maquis and Starfleet elements together.

Also, without the Captain available to specifically unlock the computer with her own top-secret access (which she had NOT shared with Chakotay or anyone else), the whole ship would have been instantly and permanently disabled by the Omega Directive poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

I’m really good at leaving my watches in the worst place possible. I’m rewatching TNG for the first time since I was a little kid and picking it up after a break my next episode was Up the Long Ladder. Yuck!

Okay I got to The Emissary and honestly K'Ehleyr may be my favourite guest star on star trek ever.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arivia posted:

Okay I got to The Emissary and honestly K'Ehleyr may be my favourite guest star on star trek ever.

I always felt bad for worf for falling in love with her as a kid cause she came off as total rear end in a top hat.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Happy 69th birthday to Johnny Frakes and no one else today.

https://twitter.com/todayinstartrek/status/1428392634859626501?s=21

NO ONE ELSE

Was accomplished Flemish Baroque animalier Johannes Fijt cancelled? All my heroes are jerks :sigh:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Was accomplished Flemish Baroque animalier Johannes Fijt cancelled? All my heroes are jerks :sigh:

Today is also Roddenberry's birthday :ssh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

He directs and also I think his voice was used briefly just to make sure his 'been in every single series' record stands.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

MikeJF posted:

He directs and also I think his voice was used briefly just to make sure his 'been in every single series' record stands.

TOS

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Today is also Roddenberry's birthday :ssh:

And on what would have been Roddenberry's 100th birthday, it was announced that Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth are producing a biopic about Roddenberry's life.

I fully expect it to be sanitized horseshit chronicling all the fibs and tall-tales (like the Pan Am crash story) that Roddenberry loved to tell about himself and which were recounted wholesale in the unbelievably terrible Star Trek Creator book.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/XanderGalbraith/status/1428388180701716485?s=19

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Timby posted:

And on what would have been Roddenberry's 100th birthday, it was announced that Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth are producing a biopic about Roddenberry's life.

I fully expect it to be sanitized horseshit chronicling all the fibs and tall-tales (like the Pan Am crash story) that Roddenberry loved to tell about himself and which were recounted wholesale in the unbelievably terrible Star Trek Creator book.

Of course it will. I'd listen to Bob Justman first.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Timby posted:

And leave out all the wild racist poo poo he was talking in the 80s and Maizlish :allears:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Trickjaw posted:

Of course it will. I'd listen to Bob Justman first.

Even the Justman / Solow book has a fair number of inaccuracies (I've been working on a long-form fact check of it for more than two years, one of these weeks or months I should really get around to finishing it), like claiming that Roddenberry screwing Courage out of royalties by writing lyrics to the TOS theme (true) resulted in Courage never working for Trek again (false; he composed a few hours of music for the third season and did some orchestration for Goldsmith's compositions for The Motion Picture).

The really genuine and authoritative tome on Roddenberry is Gene Roddenberry: The Myth and the Man Behind Star Trek, by Joel Engel. It's been out of print for ages but can be found pretty cheaply on Amazon and other used book sites.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

On one hand, there's nothing factually incorrect about this.
On the other hand, there isn't another hand.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

POV: You're about to jizz directly into Captain Picard's face.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Who do you cast as Roddenberry in that hagiopic? My vote goes for Brendan Gleeson playing 80s Gene just so I can hear a proper Irish brogue for the “waves and waves of cum” line delivery.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who do you cast as Roddenberry in that hagiopic? My vote goes for Brendan Gleeson playing 80s Gene just so I can hear a proper Irish brogue for the “waves and waves of cum” line delivery.

Tom Hanks, that dude is scooping up every real person biopic role he can get these days whether he looks or sounds anything like the real thing or not. Bonus points if he can pull another Walt Disney and make Gene not look like a scummy flailing rear end in a top hat with his patented T.hanks charms.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

nine-gear crow posted:

Tom Hanks, that dude is scooping up every real person biopic role he can get these days whether he looks or sounds anything like the real thing or not. Bonus points if he can pull another Walt Disney and make Gene not look like a scummy flailing rear end in a top hat with his patented T.hanks charms.

Yeah I want to see Hanks doing scenes of the TNG writers room

quote:

Ira Steven Behr [on Roddenberry vetoing the original story for the TNG episode "Captain's Holiday," in which Picard vacations on Risa]: "He said, "There is no way we're doing this story. But, I like this idea of the pleasure planet [...] I want to see in the background women holding hands with other women, and men walking, holding hands with other men. In scenes in the background I want to see women kissing other women and men kissing other men, and then in the background I want to see orgies." "Orgies on Star Trek: The Next Generation?" "Yes, I want to see orgies. I want this to be an erotic episode where the captain gets to indulge his erotic nature."

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

skooma512 posted:

Meanwhile Janeway happily zips around in shuttles and goes on away missions even though she's the highest ranking Starfleet officer the entire quadrant.

I mean, if you had to spend the next 70 years with Neelix, wouldn't you beg for the sweet release of an oil slick monster?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tom Guycot posted:

Maybe Gene wasn't such a bad guy after all :hmmyes:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Every episode of Season 3 of TOS so far has veen more baffling than the last one

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Roth posted:

Every episode of Season 3 of TOS so far has veen more baffling than the last one

Wait till you get to Turnabout Intruder :getin:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

nine-gear crow posted:

Wait till you get to Turnabout Intruder :getin:

Oh good, I didn't know Phoenix Wright was in this

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

At least half of this is good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

At least half of this is good.

The Tom Hanks half, or the pansexual orgy half?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Timby posted:

I want them to "24hour party people" it, Just tell the legend parts, go nuts and lean into the insane stories, get a load of different people to play Gene in different stories, and link it together with Tom Hanks playing him at a convention telling tall tales.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

BooDooBoo posted:

I want them to "24hour party people" it, Just tell the legend parts, go nuts and lean into the insane stories, get a load of different people to play Gene in different stories, and link it together with Tom Hanks playing him at a convention telling tall tales.
Have someone playing Frakes out on a bender with Gene in Vegas or something, then have the real Frakes turn to camera behind them and say "I'm the real Jonathan Frakes, and this never happened."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Payndz posted:

Have someone playing Frakes out on a bender with Gene in Vegas or something, then have the real Frakes turn to camera behind them and say "I'm the real Jonathan Frakes, and this never happened."

Do this but only after he has a gun go off in his hands accidentally, killing a famous mob boss.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Payndz posted:

Wrong.

Pure Fiction.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BooDooBoo posted:

Gene and Tony Wilson have a lot in common now that I think about it

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Powered Descent posted:

Also, without the Captain available to specifically unlock the computer with her own top-secret access (which she had NOT shared with Chakotay or anyone else), the whole ship would have been instantly and permanently disabled by the Omega Directive poo poo.

With it being Voyager, they could've had Tuvok logic the computer into unlocking and spilling the beans on the top secret stuff too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Roth posted:

There are like two good episodes for that entire season, but many straight up bad ones

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There are some episodes in season 3 that should work but lack....something. Examples include Wink of an Eye and Cloud Minders, two episodes that have interesting premises but the execution falls flat. They were just running out of steam by the end of TOS' run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The show was deliberately being squelched because it cost a lot and its ratings weren’t improving despite the obvious fanbase