Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cumshitter posted:

The Fixing Cuno, Fixing Dicso mod makes the check way easier by allowing you to roll the highest of one of four stats. You should give it a shot.

No mods on Switch, no temptation towards degeneracy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Making my wife play disco Elysium:

Me: "Ok so it's day 3! You can cross the-"
Her: "What the hell happened to my stats?"
Me: "Doesn't matter. Look there's cops downstairs now talk to-"
Her: "I have 5 intellect, 2 psych, 4 pys and 3 mot?"
Me: "I don't know. Game is weird, maybe go take another look at the container at the-"
Her: "It's supposed to add up to 12? I started with 2 pys, Look online figure this out."
Me: "I can't figure it out I'll ask the goons"

Nevermind it's Goracy's brew...

Wow that's some good borscht!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Epic High Five posted:

No mods on Switch, no temptation towards degeneracy

OTOH you miss out on the Whirling Turnabout mod which lets you use your Net Worth to buy the Whirling-in-Rags and charge Garte rent.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

BBQ Dave posted:

Making my wife play disco Elysium:

Me: "Ok so it's day 3! You can cross the-"
Her: "What the hell happened to my stats?"
Me: "Doesn't matter. Look there's cops downstairs now talk to-"
Her: "I have 5 intellect, 2 psych, 4 pys and 3 mot?"
Me: "I don't know. Game is weird, maybe go take another look at the container at the-"
Her: "It's supposed to add up to 12? I started with 2 pys, Look online figure this out."
Me: "I can't figure it out I'll ask the goons"

Nevermind it's Goracy's brew...

Wow that's some good borscht!

Hope she wasn't going for sobriety...

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I can't even get my partner to play this. She probably wouldn't empathize with how revolutionary this game feels though -- she's only ever played puzzle games so she would have no context on how god awful most video game writing is.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Vegetable posted:

I can't even get my partner to play this. She probably wouldn't empathize with how revolutionary this game feels though -- she's only ever played puzzle games so she would have no context on how god awful most video game writing is.

sounds like a classic reactionary :sever:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Vegetable posted:

That woman - turn from the ruin. Turn and go forward.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ragnar34 posted:

You know what, no one wants to say it, so I'm saying it. Kim's voice is hot as hell.

It's the one cig a day. Maintains the hint of rasp without scratching the vocal cords.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Ragnar34 posted:

You know what, no one wants to say it, so I'm saying it. Kim's voice is hot as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz1DyvefCt8

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

youtube led me from there to here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R54jUpZRpE

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Off topic but is there a Kentucky route zero thread?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

the_american_dream posted:

Off topic but is there a Kentucky route zero thread?

it's incredibly inactive, but yes

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

dmboogie posted:

PERCEPTION [Easy: Failure] - Your eyes glaze over as they drift towards the question-marked button underneath the moderator's avatar. What is before your eyes right now is the only truth that has ever existed.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

cumshitter posted:

The Fixing Cuno, Fixing Dicso mod makes the check way easier by allowing you to roll the highest of one of four stats. You should give it a shot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hey, guess what?

This game is real loving good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Skippy McPants posted:

Hey, guess what?

This game is real loving good.

That's one hell of a brave position to take.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I watched SGF and his LP was great. Also, Kim is the best partner.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Alder posted:

I watched SGF and his LP was great. Also, Kim is the best partner.

Honestly, as much as I like Harry, I really want a game where you just play Kim being cool all the time and solving cases.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Honestly, as much as I like Harry, I really want a game where you just play Kim being cool all the time and solving cases.

I think you need Tequila Sunset to really allow Kim to shine so I'd propose a swap, where Kim gets to be lead detective and Harry gets to be his whacky sidekick.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
on a side note, do the endgame saves track any variables/outcomes a-la mass effect? as in, is there any groundwork towards being able to plug saves into possible sequels and whatnot?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Levin posted:

I think you need Tequila Sunset to really allow Kim to shine so I'd propose a swap, where Kim gets to be lead detective and Harry gets to be his whacky sidekick.

You're probably right. Now that you mention it, I'd love to play that game.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
They really fuckin nailed it with Kim, I don't think I've ever seen a prominent character in a video game who's so consistently beloved by anyone who engages with it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Kim is such a badass he can produce a pair of handcuffs, pens, notebooks, garbage bags and who knows what else.

What can't he produce??????????????????

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Vagabong posted:

They really fuckin nailed it with Kim, I don't think I've ever seen a prominent character in a video game who's so consistently beloved by anyone who engages with it.

He's the perfect straight man. Serious enough to be a stark contrast to your constant buffoonery, but not so uptight that he's a total buzzkill. And fleshed out enough that if you pay attention you realize he's kind of a weirdo too but you're just on another plane of existence entirely.

It also really helps that you're really never at odds with Kim. Like if you threaten to arrest Garte for the completely reasonable request that you pay him for services rendered and compensate him for the damage you've done, Kim is immediately in your corner.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Kim playing the straight man but also playing along with whatever weirdness you decide to throw out there is absolutely key to him being so lovable. They absolutely nailed that balance.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They very easily could of gone too far in one direction and made him a total buzzkill, or overly annoying, or berate the player endlessly for things mostly out of their control, instead they wrote him very well.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I finally got around to playing this game for the first time this week. This is without a doubt my favorite game I have played in years. I immediately died of a heart attack trying to grab my tie from the fan. Reloaded, ignored the tie, puked over and over trying to look at the body until I finally got my poo poo together and dumped points into endurance.

The reality low down completely floored me. I really didn't see that coming. I thought Harry was just a crazy drunk.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
third full playthrough, had to reload when i died from saying cock carousel too much and got kim a shoutout from the speedfreaks.

also this was my 'tank intellect' run and goddamn was it funny failing six logic rolls to figure out the clubbers were making drugs. The sheer list of bonuses I had for the final roll, up to and including the programmer basically telling me they were making drugs, and seeing all their drug paraphernalia in the church, was gold.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Supersonic Shine posted:

After several months of keeping this game in the back of my mind, I noticed it was on sale and decided to take the plunge. I'm running a high Motorics and Intellect build, so I basically crumple at the slightest sign of physical or emotional stress. The highlight of my run so far has been shooting down the body, doing an Aces Low with Kim, and rubbing it in the Cunos' faces.

this run was also the first time I got this and having savoir faire reassure you that Kim would never leave an Ace's Low hanging was so good

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Speaking of Kim, youtube just recommended me this and it is the most painful conversation I've ever seen in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmeEDMsHtMU

A playthrough where you only pick the most assholish option offered would feel like knives in my heart.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Speaking of Kim, youtube just recommended me this and it is the most painful conversation I've ever seen in the game.

A playthrough where you only pick the most assholish option offered would feel like knives in my heart.

I tried to do a playthrough where I was an rear end in a top hat to Kim and at the first opportunity I found that I just couldn't.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

My first achievement was hitting an all time low with Kim :smug:

But I digress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
most honorable cop in the land :)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

While his balance between straight man and fellow weirdo is spot-on perfect, the other main thing that inspires such near-universal adoration for Kim is probably his sheer loyalty to Harry, and by extension, the player. He might make some surface-level dry comments and "khm"s but whenever the chips are down and it actually counts, he constantly backs Harry up through so much of Harry's self-inflicted bullshit. No matter what kind of player you are or what character traits and political views you lean towards, it feels pretty amazing to know that someone so thoroughly has your back.

That's probably the one and only thing I could possibly (mildly) criticise about Kim, actually. (besides him being a Moralist I guess, but I don't even have the heart for that since he has only the most pragmatic of takes on it) When you really think about it, he maybe rolls with Harry's poo poo a little bit too much, imo.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

cops enabling other cops' lovely behaviour is pretty true to life though

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I got the final honor check for that conversation during the final interrogation on the island and it couldn't have been better times given how serious that conversation is. Seconds after solving the case my Harry shoved his thumb right up his rear end.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cumshitter posted:

I got the final honor check for that conversation during the final interrogation on the island and it couldn't have been better times given how serious that conversation is. Seconds after solving the case my Harry shoved his thumb right up his rear end.
Truly an event worthy of honor.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Well, you know, I think it comes down to a couple of things. First of all, he enjoys your antics a bit more than he lets on. Beyond that, I think it's motivated by curiosity, initially because he wants to figure out what your deal is but then later because your bullshit sometimes produces results.

And of course, he's also learned (according to the cockatoo conversation) that sometimes it's just not possible to fight you and the best course of action is to let you tire yourself out.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

(HISS) IT BURNS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

A red dancing check, huh? What's the worst that could happen?