Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

potatocubed posted:

AD&D gave us the marut, I believe, in one of the Planescape monstrous compendium appendices. In 3.5 the marut was recast as 'an inevitable' and joined by the kolyarut and the... selekhut? I think? and they were all tasked with enforcing different kinds of law.

The marut goes back to 1e even. (I don't have a copy of Deities and Demigods at hand to check the full details.) In 2e it's the lawful servitor of the gods, and then yeah, 3e expanded into the inevitables of which there are eventually five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Has anyone ever tried the Grimdark Future / Age of Fantasy alternative miniature games from OnePageRules? Supposedly a shorter more accessible, miniature agnostic version of Warhammer stuff though I've never heard many people talk about it til I stumbled into a video or two about it.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

I also, while we're talking about it, find it decreasingly plausible that the whole multiverse is stuck in quasi-medieval technology for countless millennia the more you add additional planes and worlds and populations. Thematically, to me a multiverse type situation demands more of a RIFTS-like mishmash of hyper-tech and swords than a D&D-style mishmash of high magic doohickies, scrolls of Wish, and swords.

But if we just have quasi-medieval Regular D&D Land and then an uncertain larger cosmos that maybe you can go to places in, sometimes, but without any sort of long-term reliability or continuity that would permit centuries of technological and cultural exchange, then it feels more viscerally plausible to me.

I realize you can handwave away all that with just being necessities of your setting and its themes, so this is just personal preference and not really an actual "problem" with having a fixed map of the planes.

I imagine that in a cosmology where the Wish spell can be researched, the Great Filter gets brought forward five or six centuries to before anybody can invent hyper-tech.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
If there's an embargo on importing hypertech into the prime material plane, it's probably put in place by the gods themselves. The last thing they want is for superweapons that could potentially challenge their rule to become widely available. This also means that every organized religion is on the lookout for smugglers running the blockade, to ensure that nobody brings in something that can oneshot their deity.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

mellonbread posted:

If there's an embargo on importing hypertech into the prime material plane, it's probably put in place by the gods themselves. The last thing they want is for superweapons that could potentially challenge their rule to become widely available. This also means that every organized religion is on the lookout for smugglers running the blockade, to ensure that nobody brings in something that can oneshot their deity.

They remember the whole "Prometheus stealing fire" fiasco and don't want a repeat.

They really got burned on that one

:dadjoke:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I like Glorantha's explanation that getting much past bronze tech gets you a very short, very violent visit by the most technologically sophisticated commandos, who worship stasis above all else.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tulip posted:

I like Glorantha's explanation that getting much past bronze tech gets you a very short, very violent visit by the most technologically sophisticated commandos, who worship stasis above all else.

Honestly I just plain despise the Mostali and that's one of the biggest reasons

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Haha the gods all have Vulnerability: Firearms on their stat sheets and they need to block anything that might lead to gunpowder weapons.

Another possible factor: coal and oil and natural gas literally don't exist because this world never had a couple billion years of prehistory to build up layers of carbon deposits from cyanobacterial mats and globe-spanning forests etc. Lacking an industrial-capacity energy base, being stuck on charcoal as the most efficient fuel available, makes it impossible to have a "natural" industrial revolution; and magic is unsutable for <reasons>.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I would like to ask goons about Star Wars Saga Edition. Is there a good thread for that?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Although it's actually about the FF version, I'd suggest the Star Wars Roleplaying by Fantasy Flight Games thread probably has the highest concentration of goons who know stuff about Saga Edition. I can't find a thread specifically about Saga Edition outside of the archives.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I just plain despise the Mostali and that's one of the biggest reasons

Yeah it rules, Stafford despised them too.

Admittedly there isn't really a need for an explanation, 1600 years of more or less bronze age is shorter than IRL bronze age.

(Offer not valid for Solars because gently caress you)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm thinking of doing a one-shot RPG session in October that's basically going to be "hey let's play an RPG version of Vampire Hunter D", any suggestions on best system to use for this?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Tulip posted:

Yeah it rules, Stafford despised them too.

Admittedly there isn't really a need for an explanation, 1600 years of more or less bronze age is shorter than IRL bronze age.

(Offer not valid for Solars because gently caress you)

Plus iron being an exceedingly rare magical fuckoff death metal made out of tree hatred is a pretty solid excuse for never having an iron age.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm thinking of doing a one-shot RPG session in October that's basically going to be "hey let's play an RPG version of Vampire Hunter D", any suggestions on best system to use for this?
I think it's gonna be important to clarify just how serious of a game you want this to be.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

“We love to buy books bestiaries because we believe we're buying the time to read play them."

Gonna be honest I bought the 3.5 Draconomicon but never got to use most poo poo from it, just looked at the cool dragons

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Cowards and smart people would avoid BESM. What type of GM are you?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm not a coward and definitely not a smart person lol

Hostile V posted:

I think it's gonna be important to clarify just how serious of a game you want this to be.

I think 'earnest' might be the best word? Like the group I game with loves moments of levity but I'm not looking to run a comedy game

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I feel like you want All of Their Strengths

"The city has a secret food chain, a hidden game of predator and prey playing out in every alley, every shadowy corner, and bangin’ nightclub. The Kindred - vampires, werewolves, and a hundred others - hunt humans for food and pleasure.
They have ruled the night for centuries, but the game is about to change. There’s a new predator in town, and it feeds on jerks.
Hybrids, born of mixed Kindred lineages, but stronger than any of them, and twice as cool.

All of Their Strengths is an action-packed role-playing game of tinted sunglasses, silver-lined swords, and ultra-violet bullets.

Take on the role of the Hybrids waging a secret war on the Kindred. Play as a werewolf-witch, a ghost-mummy, or the always classic half-human, half-vampire.
Grab your throwing stars, put on your PVC long-coat, and touch up your sweet tribal tats.

The War of Shadows is waiting."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

“We love to buy books bestiaries because we believe we're buying the time to read play them."

i am running an OSR game (S&W and a big thwack of house rules) using my 3e FR stuff for setting purposes and it is becoming very quickly apparent how cool those books are to read and how much is left undetailed for actual play

e:

I'm not actually recommending this, but there is an official Vampire Hunter D supplement for Pathfinder 1e.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Haven't gotten to run it yet myself, but Miserable Secrets might be what you're looking for:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/245941/Miserable-Secrets

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Haha the gods all have Vulnerability: Firearms on their stat sheets and they need to block anything that might lead to gunpowder weapons.

Another possible factor: coal and oil and natural gas literally don't exist because this world never had a couple billion years of prehistory to build up layers of carbon deposits from cyanobacterial mats and globe-spanning forests etc. Lacking an industrial-capacity energy base, being stuck on charcoal as the most efficient fuel available, makes it impossible to have a "natural" industrial revolution; and magic is unsutable for <reasons>.

I've read somewhere that we have mined all the easily accessed useful minerals. If civilization collapsed then any future successors would not be able to have an industrial revolution, because they lack the means to access the remaining supply of necessary material.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PerniciousKnid posted:

I've read somewhere that we have mined all the easily accessed useful minerals. If civilization collapsed then any future successors would not be able to have an industrial revolution, because they lack the means to access the remaining supply of necessary material.
We've left a lot of the minerals just kind of lying around for the taking. A city is just a giant surface iron/copper/steel/aluminum mine. The real issue is fuel, there's no coal or gas deposits or similar easily portable energy better than wood. The electronic revolution would also hit major hurdles due to tue more exotic metals and us pissing our helium away.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 21, 2021

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Yeah I only remember the gist. I just like the idea that human society is stuck in the middle ages because dragons snorted all the oil.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah, it's unfortunate the Finno-Korean war used up 99.8% of Earth's supply of float stone and all of the elerium.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I thought it was more that, for example, all the raw materials involved in generating electricity now require machines that run on electricity to obtain. If the power goes out completely, it stays out.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

hyphz posted:

I thought it was more that, for example, all the raw materials involved in generating electricity now require machines that run on electricity to obtain. If the power goes out completely, it stays out.

I was talking about a long term (i.e., thousands of years) scenario where lizard people evolve and tech up to a ceiling, but that's an interesting short term problem.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

hyphz posted:

Er what? Electric power is mostly made by running a turbine with either some kind of mechanical force or steam. Like even nuclear power still uses that.

You can literally make a crude generator with a toy paddle boat and a kettle. You just need a magnet, a coil and something to spin the magnet.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

I was talking about a long term (i.e., thousands of years) scenario where lizard people evolve and tech up to a ceiling, but that's an interesting short term problem.

don't worry, tom paris' newt babies are known for their ingenuity

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xiahou Dun posted:

Er what? Electric power is mostly made by running a turbine with either some kind of mechanical force or steam. Like even nuclear power still uses that.

You can literally make a crude generator with a toy paddle boat and a kettle. You just need a magnet, a coil and something to spin the magnet.

I think the problem might be the rare earth metals you need for magnets.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
An example that I’ve heard is that oil well pumpjacks run on internal combustion engines. Without petrol you can’t get the oil you need to make petrol. But that may be out of date by now.

But it is definitely the case that some poorer countries argue they can’t bootstrap their industries because of the pollution restrictions imposed as a result of richer industries having messed up the planet when they did so.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 22, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think the problem might be the rare earth metals you need for magnets.

I sincerely can't come up with a non-flippant way to respond. Lodestones and stuff are naturally occurring ; you just need ferromagnetic material, like, you know, iron. This is like some "watched an episode of Mr. Wizard when you were 8"-level stuff.

Rare earth metals make really good magnets, but they aren't needed.

(Seriously I'm not trying to be a dick I think you're a cool poster. I'm honestly confused because generating electricity categorically doesn't involve weird materials. It's a bonkers claim.)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Yeah electricity can be boostrapped pretty easily IF you know the principles. It's really just copper wire, a magnet, and "something that lets one rotate without the other." Which you can do with like...some wood, or strings. And you can run that with like a hand crank.

The logistics of doing this at scale is really hard, which is where BITD gets cool when its like "we are powering everything with demon blood."

Splicer posted:

We've left a lot of the minerals just kind of lying around for the taking. A city is just a giant surface iron/copper/steel/aluminum mine. The real issue is fuel, there's no coal or gas deposits or similar easily portable energy better than wood. The electronic revolution would also hit major hurdles due to tue more exotic metals and us pissing our helium away.

The exotic metals will also be on those cities, unless the stuff gets fissioned/fusioned into other elements its still there. The helium is gone though, RIP.

Anyway my actual view on this is that its worth a fictional setting having a certain amount of realism, particularly for games, because it enables the audience/players to make predictions about how things might work further in the setting in an engaging, rewarding way. BITD as mentioned has no sun, has ghosts, and uses demon blood for fuel, but things like falling, structural engineering, hydraulics, even potentially wiring are more-or-less realistic and that makes it feel great when a player uses that to come up with a cool escape route or something that the mechanics then ad-hoc support. But I'm also a huge Glorantha stan, which is explicitly anti-realist, so I guess my stated values and my actual values don't match up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is Flesh and Blood worth looking into at all if I crave a card game dude basher and think all the stuff they’ve bolted onto Magic since Planeswalkers just makes it more obvious how much of the game is mired in design from 30 years ago?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Xiahou Dun posted:

I sincerely can't come up with a non-flippant way to respond. Lodestones and stuff are naturally occurring ; you just need ferromagnetic material, like, you know, iron. This is like some "watched an episode of Mr. Wizard when you were 8"-level stuff.

(Seriously I'm not trying to be a dick I think you're a cool poster. I'm honestly confused because generating electricity categorically doesn't involve weird materials. It's a bonkers claim.)

To be fair, I had to google it, though I had an American public school education.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Everything from before the industrial revolution - which goes further than you might think - would be doable without fossil fuels, or with only reasonably similar things laying around like pine extracts, etc. And this would not discount things like small scale electric power, or the germ theory of disease, and so on.

They would need to skip the technological space that we have travelled through with fossil fuel resources. It would be very hazardous but it would seem very possible to determine the theoretical basis of nuclear power and from there you're off to the races. In a situation where humanity had disappeared or gone near-term extinct, we would probably not have made major impacts on Earth's store of radioactive materials to generate power. Almost like at some point we specifically decided to use the old poo poo instead of the new poo poo. :v:

e: you could also use ethanol for internal combustion engines, although at a certain point this is just collecting agricultural production as power. However, if there are some niche applications that you literally need ICEs for, like deep-mine pumps, it could be doable without gasoline

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rockman Reserve posted:

Is Flesh and Blood worth looking into at all if I crave a card game dude basher and think all the stuff they’ve bolted onto Magic since Planeswalkers just makes it more obvious how much of the game is mired in design from 30 years ago?

If we're doing card game recommendations I'd suggest giving the current Digimon card game a look as it's both a really well made card game in general and has some of the best art of any currently active TCG

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tulip posted:

Anyway my actual view on this is that its worth a fictional setting having a certain amount of realism, particularly for games, because it enables the audience/players to make predictions about how things might work further in the setting in an engaging, rewarding way. BITD as mentioned has no sun, has ghosts, and uses demon blood for fuel, but things like falling, structural engineering, hydraulics, even potentially wiring are more-or-less realistic and that makes it feel great when a player uses that to come up with a cool escape route or something that the mechanics then ad-hoc support. But I'm also a huge Glorantha stan, which is explicitly anti-realist, so I guess my stated values and my actual values don't match up.
Meanwhile I feel the opposite about rewarding my players for real world knowledge and expertise in RPGs, because I feel it can lead to the opposite or at least a fear of being punished for not knowing stuff.
The same way I've never been a fan of riddles or traps you can avoid/logic your way out of as a player or fail because you as a player didn't figure it out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xiahou Dun posted:

I'll have you know that my PhD was in theoretical physics, I'm not a mineralogist or knowstuffaboutactualelectricalpowersystemologist by training. :v:

I thought I heard there was a threshold efficiency thing with getting some things to bootstrap, but I could be misremembering.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'll have you know that my PhD was in theoretical physics, I'm not a mineralogist or knowstuffaboutactualelectricalpowersystemologist by training. :v:

I thought I heard there was a threshold efficiency thing with getting some things to bootstrap, but I could be misremembering.

There might be some viability that's not just getting that ore out of the ground or processed. Something where at current market rates, it ain't worth it unless you have petropowered equipment and the fuel for it. The same way it wasn't impossible to get shale oil 40 years ago, just it left you in the negative with the tech at the time and value of crude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Okay so I looked closer into DCC upon this thread's recommendations and 1) gently caress yes, this is exactly the van wizard/bong dragon poo poo I want, but 2) it seems like the creator is an icky dude who also did like confederate apologia in some alt-history dinosaurs game? I won't talk about the obvious solution because it's obvious and we don't discuss it here. But are there alternatives like third party adaptations or people doing similar vibes for other systems?