Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

I had this exact same reaction because my lovely old laptop can’t handle Humankind but I wanted to play around with something when I don’t have access to the family room tv. Ended up chucking civ5 back on the laptop instead.

Similar boat except I only have vanilla Civ 5 and I never played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

So I finished my first game on Nation and I understand why the game ended - I went hard science at the end and absolutely blasted through the tech tree 1-2 techs per turn, which caused the game to end. But I still have zero idea why I won. My main opponent (I call them the Zulus because that's how I met them but by the time the game ended they were called someone else...) had conquered 90% of a continent as I had and I only overcame them in "fame" in the last era. How did they get so much early fame? Where did my late fame come from? I was just building districts and buildings trying to make the FIMS / stability numbers go up once I secured my home continent.

A few turns before the game ended I settled a city to get another source of oil so I could launch a Lunar expedition as this seemed important. At that point a steamship I bought 10 turns ago finally found the last empire 1 turn before I invented satellites.

Like imagine the US creates a space station and for the first time meets the Soviet Union it's thematically nonsense. The world should get SMALLER, but because the pace was accelerating so fast I had less and less time to do anything as it barreled towards a conclusion so it felt like the world got bigger.

This game has a MAJOR pacing problem

Still fun in the early game!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The auto explore function in this game might as well not exist imo. Need to manually shepherd naval units especially or they’ll just patrol the same five or so hexes forever like a bunch of dickheads.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Solemn Sloth posted:

The auto explore function in this game might as well not exist imo. Need to manually shepherd naval units especially or they’ll just patrol the same five or so hexes forever like a bunch of dickheads.

I caught that a few times, I've had to nudge them away from whatever terrain is going on.

New world colonization on nation needs a full stack by the time you can transport. I set myself back a bunch by trying to force finding the third continent. It is harrowing sending a cog out to a 5 turn ocean voyage. I am first there, second continent England colonized the cowards way by assimilating the first minor civ I came across. I'm still plopping down outpost and got my settlers across the ocean.

I dig the civ swap mechanic every era, because it gives me a chance to pivot some mechanic I neglected. Started Zhuo to get the bare bones infrastructure, and to put down my science quarter a whole era before everyone else. I was planning on bullying my Olmec neighbor so I went into Huns as I finished two of the chariots. Bullied my neighbor, other neighbor was bullied by the Carthaginians who I just declared best buddies forever. I vassalized while Carthage annexed and it was cool to see they scaled about equivalently.

Traded maps with someone on the second continent. Looks like a mess where nobody was able to successfully consume their neighbor. The second continent became my gold dump, buying all their luxuries as I had cash to burn. Made sure not to alliance any of them because I did not want to, but they asked many times.

Game is p alright, enjoyed it for the sessions I did. I played the endless series, so I have all those lessons in my bones. It's nice just kinda letting mechanics wash over you.

Tldr: Zhuo Huns Khmer Jeoson

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
not sure i'm a fan of the new world setting, it feels like whoever gets there first and starts settling has already won the game
and i say this because that's exactly how i won my last few games :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i've only seen the new world once so far but last time it was the saddest little polar island you can imagine with some tiny islands next to it

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

CuddleCryptid posted:

88,400 gold per turn, might as well just buyout ten tanks to fight back and not have it hit your income at all

It's a rebellion in some AI land I'm using satellites to spy on.

Besides my rebellions would've probably used like MBTs and APCs instead :v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Since this was added to Gamepass I've been playing it pretty much non stop. I managed to finally finish a game, but only coming in second. The green Ai was just rocketing through eras, like I only just got enough for a second outpost when they were already going into the ancient era. They continued that right up until the end.

This is at the lowest setting, and i have no idea how they were doing it, probably because the managed to get their own continent to themselves and i had to contend with 2 other civs. so they could expand at will and no worry about being attacked or having to race to a important resource.

I do like how quick and easy the game is to play, it doesn't take forever to process turns which makes civ6 so brutal to play in the late game. But its almost too quick. When the game ended, I had barely started researching industrial techs. I know again this isn't civ where techs dictate what era you're in but having the game end in 30 turns once one civ gets to a certain point seems a bit much. I should look in the options to see if i can increase that. I don't see how you can even have a decent modern war in this game if its ending soon after someone gets to the modern era. And i was plowing through tech in 3 or 4 turns through most of the game. Weirdly even after building tons of science stuff I could never get it higher than that.

I am of two minds with the way you change civ in each era. One it lets you have multiple different civs that all contribute to where you're going to go. Yes I'll have Samurai and Curassiers in the same army, why not? Though my desire for everything to be neat and orderly doesn't like how i have pyramids, pagodas and Georgian buildings all going on. I do like how you can see people going about their business when you zoom in though. Also as others have said, they're not really that different, just different bonuses and units.

The cities basically being EL cities, it doesn't really have any impact on my enjoyment of the game, though it is funny to see these giant megacities when you haven't even discovered coal.

The worst thing I found was combat. I did not like combat in EL at all, and while this is a lot less complex, the feedback is really lacking. You have no idea who is attacking you, because it doesn't say. This makes it hard to figure out whats going on early on when you might have a few outposts and one city and you don't know if its the independents or an Ai player that's attacking you. Though I do like that small battles in the neutral territory won't cause a war so you can chase off other civs from taking land you want.

I am reminded of Civ Call To Power, it wasn't better or worse, it was just different.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Selecting multiple civs as the game progresses is definitely one of the best features, I agree naming your empire at the start would help provide continuity but the general design is really strong. I'd more or less take the next step and say this is just clearly a better designed game than Civ 6, which was trying to just steal ideas from EL as lazily as possible anyway.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

Selecting multiple civs as the game progresses is definitely one of the best features, I agree naming your empire at the start would help provide continuity but the general design is really strong. I'd more or less take the next step and say this is just clearly a better designed game than Civ 6, which was trying to just steal ideas from EL as lazily as possible anyway.

I actually feel the opposite. Like, continuity is an issue but it just feels like a lazy reskinning of the party system of their previous game, which can be done fine except it doesn't fit the feel of a civilization game at all. It actually is kind of a problem that they attach them to discrete 'cultures' because they're too bland when you pile them onto the cultures you unlock later.

Also it's kind of funny that their marketing is shouting SIXTY CIVILIZATIONS!!! (DAAANGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!) when really it's only ten, since you can't access all sixty, and instead they're layers onto your civilization rather than discrete different ones.

It's actually the dealbreaker for me.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Lady Radia posted:

I'll be very interested to see how many HK features end up in any eventual Civilization 7. HK's layered diplomacy and levels of aggression seems like a no-brainer. It was only one title ago that Civ players had to make do with WAR OF ANNIHILATION Y/N when it came to resolving problems.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I think it just moves to a different color, I’ve got Orange player doing the same thing. Maybe actually spending influence though

Yeah I've looked into it and apparently player 3 gets continuous influence over any independent civ regardless of their colour. According to Reddit it won't do this if the AI personality has the "metropolis trait"? Not sure what this means but I'm going to see if I can work it out on my next game because it's a super annoying bug.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Your Computer posted:

not sure i'm a fan of the new world setting, it feels like whoever gets there first and starts settling has already won the game
and i say this because that's exactly how i won my last few games :v:

I think more generally the person who has the most territory will always win, which is a little sad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

I think more generally the person who has the most territory will always win, which is a little sad.

yeah, it's taking some getting used to for me because i always prefer building tall empires to wide empires. i just like hanging out in my little corner of the world doing trade and influence and stuff, winning with money and science rather than military might or amount of land. in humankind it doesn't really feel like tall empires are even a "thing" but at least it's a lot easier and more intuitive (at least to me) to expand in this game. i always hated having to drag settlers around the map in civ but in humankind you can both explore and settle with the same units, you can assimilate independent peoples are you can even demand other cultures to give you their territories if you're culturally dominant.

Abx0r
Jan 12, 2007
Objection!
Has anyone actually gotten a Mars Colony victory? I've tried 3 times and gave up on the third. 1st try I accidentally won by researching all the tech not realizing that was a victory condition. 2nd try the entire map only had 2 Oil on it, so it was impossible to build the Mars Colony Project. 3rd try I controlled the entire new world just so I would be sure I had enough oil only for the entire continent to not have any Oil on it nor any of the rest of my territory or any Oil any place visible to me on the map.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm thinking strategics are bugged on certain map types

Are there any debug codes? Genning a bunch of one map type to check would be an easy way to confirm it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Tom Tucker posted:

(I call them the Zulus because that's how I met them but by the time the game ended they were called someone else...)

twistedmentat posted:

The green Ai

It's interesting seeing people not really know how to refer to other civilisations, and how that does kind of suggest there's a problem with continuity and good story telling.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Abx0r posted:

Has anyone actually gotten a Mars Colony victory? I've tried 3 times and gave up on the third. 1st try I accidentally won by researching all the tech not realizing that was a victory condition. 2nd try the entire map only had 2 Oil on it, so it was impossible to build the Mars Colony Project. 3rd try I controlled the entire new world just so I would be sure I had enough oil only for the entire continent to not have any Oil on it nor any of the rest of my territory or any Oil any place visible to me on the map.

I did. I was close to winning science, too, but once I had the mission available, I was able to complete it in three turns.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
okay there is definitely something funky going on with the magenta ai, i just had a game where they were two continents away and still filled up their influence right away on a newly settled independent peoples :iiam:

there is also no way to not play with the magenta ai because that's the second slot. color and flag is determined by what slot the ai is in and not by the ai persona so..... i have no idea how any of this works

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Abx0r posted:

You get a cool screen about it, and my person also had a ferret in a ferret sized spacesuit. I choose my people having ferrets instead of cats on their ships earlier in the game.

Your Computer posted:

okay there is definitely something funky going on with the magenta ai, i just had a game where they were two continents away and still filled up their influence right away on a newly settled independent peoples :iiam:

there is also no way to not play with the magenta ai because that's the second slot. color and flag is determined by what slot the ai is in and not by the ai persona so..... i have no idea how any of this works

You can edit AI flags/colors/etc. Not sure offhand if that fixes it or not, or if its tied to the AI slot.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

fuf posted:

It's interesting seeing people not really know how to refer to other civilisations, and how that does kind of suggest there's a problem with continuity and good story telling.

It's interesting cause after ES2 I thought amplitude were the only 4X devs in a long time to remember MoO2 model of producing memorable opponents. You have, say, cat-people who have one important trait (great pilots) and semi-randomized personality, like expansionist and honorable. It's not like Civ complex affinities you'd never notice, it's quite clear distinction: expansive ones expand a lot, honorable people almost never break pacts and don't forget those who do, ecologists mantain the purity of their planets etc. ES2 did that but other races never put pressure on you so you only cared about the size of their fleet. Here Amplitude seem to do that again, AIs have some clear behavioral traits. But they themselves are so forgettable. Really the symbols are what I'd remember. I'm colorblind so I don't rely on colours but those avatars don't work for me at all. Even something like Age of Wonders 3 random generator gave me more interesting enemies with basically no AI differences.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ZypherIM posted:

You can edit AI flags/colors/etc. Not sure offhand if that fixes it or not, or if its tied to the AI slot.

I changed the color and it still happened so yeah.

Your Computer posted:

you can even demand other cultures to give you their territories if you're culturally dominant.

Is there actually a point to that other than pissing them off and cutting off all trade? I've never seen one actually give in to the demand so I'm not sure why you'd want to. I guess to build up war score before you conquer them? But I don't want to conquer them.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there some way to make the map scroll faster? This game has the slowest map scroll speed ever and it is horrible.

Same goes for my own unit's movement speed. It literally takes many seconds for an army to move at a SNAIL'S PACE.. dang I'd like to play the game, not watch the army move forever. Instant moves please.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Clarste posted:

I changed the color and it still happened so yeah.

Is there actually a point to that other than pissing them off and cutting off all trade? I've never seen one actually give in to the demand so I'm not sure why you'd want to. I guess to build up war score before you conquer them? But I don't want to conquer them.

Yeah I don't make demands unless I'm actually trying to start a war.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Clarste posted:

I had a civ whose stance toward me was 'Reverential' that handed me a nearby city on an island territory I never settled without any fuss. I think if you're stronger than them by a certain amount and not already at odds, they figure why bother getting crushed militarily. There also wasn't any pause in trade between our empires. Honestly, I didn't expect them to hand it over and just reloaded anyway. It was fairly late game for an 8 tile landmass without a single resource or notable feature.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Pretty bad bug at the endgame :( I was fighting two civs on and off and then one became the vassal of the other, and now I'm at war with both of them but the war resolution screens are both totally blank which is bad because there's no way to end the turn. It's like 200 turns in and it's a little frustrating that the game is basically softlocked now.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

I absolutely love the civ change mechanic and I think the lack of continuity is one of the reasons it's great. It keeps things a little less stale and feels much more like real history. I love how in my game my bff Nubian trading buddy pivoted into militarist culture and their conquering strained our alliance.

To each their own and all that but I think some of y'all are trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
By the way, if you want to change religion, open up the religious screen and then hit Ctrl-5. There is no other way.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I've looked into it and apparently player 3 gets continuous influence over any independent civ regardless of their colour. According to Reddit it won't do this if the AI personality has the "metropolis trait"? Not sure what this means but I'm going to see if I can work it out on my next game because it's a super annoying bug.

So just an update on this it's the "megalopolist" trait. if you put them in the magenta players box they will still gain influence but they won't want to annex the minor civ because of their bias towards only having one extremely big city. There isn't an AI with this trait in game at start so you'll need to download one from the AI personas on the g2g website https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/personas

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I don't know anything about game development but the influence bug is really odd. Also seems like it would be caught quickly in testing.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Prop Wash posted:

Pretty bad bug at the endgame :( I was fighting two civs on and off and then one became the vassal of the other, and now I'm at war with both of them but the war resolution screens are both totally blank which is bad because there's no way to end the turn. It's like 200 turns in and it's a little frustrating that the game is basically softlocked now.

Someone earlier suggested that if you have an end turn softlock you should try saving and reloading the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

So just an update on this it's the "megalopolist" trait. if you put them in the magenta players box they will still gain influence but they won't want to annex the minor civ because of their bias towards only having one extremely big city. There isn't an AI with this trait in game at start so you'll need to download one from the AI personas on the g2g website https://www.games2gether.com/amplitude-studios/humankind/personas
this is absolutely bizarre and i'm surprised no one caught this before release

guess i need to create a g2g account

e: holy poo poo what is this font

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 21, 2021

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Gort posted:

Someone earlier suggested that if you have an end turn softlock you should try saving and reloading the game.

I tried it but with no success. Even loading an earlier autosave before the war started doesn't help, as the crisis screen is totally blank and it stays blank once I declare war - I suppose I could at least keep playing and not declare war to avoid the eventual softlock but they have the copy of Silicon that I need anyway, so...

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Your Computer posted:

this is absolutely bizarre and i'm surprised no one caught this before release

guess i need to create a g2g account

e: holy poo poo what is this font

lol there should definitely be a law about putting your T&Cs in a font that is actively painful to read.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I also got a bug where I unlocked the Humankind difficulty achievement despite playing on Metropolis.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Re Horrible Huns: as the English at least you can absolutely clown on the Huns and mongols by having a front line of pikemen backed up by longbowmen. Your pikemen will murder the horses if they can get close enough, and while they’re doing hit and run your longbows can kill them.

Also the AI will usually try to flank the longbows, at the cost of leaving their horsies too close to your pikes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Finally got into my first war (I don't like declaring myself, so it was a matter of waiting for the inevitable betrayal), and goddamn it's so much more fun than Civ. The stacks make it so much more convenient to move your guys around, and the battle system give an organic dynamic to wars rather than the old constant meatgrinders. It also feels much more deliberate, rather than shuttling an endless stream of units towards the front you're encouraged to build up your armies first and make a careful decision of where exactly to send them.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Finally got into my first war (I don't like declaring myself, so it was a matter of waiting for the inevitable betrayal), and goddamn it's so much more fun than Civ. The stacks make it so much more convenient to move your guys around, and the battle system give an organic dynamic to wars rather than the old constant meatgrinders. It also feels much more deliberate, rather than shuttling an endless stream of units towards the front you're encouraged to build up your armies first and make a careful decision of where exactly to send them.
:yeah:

the terrain elevation also makes a huge difference in terms of strategy, which i love. combat and war was always one of my least favorite things in civ but in this game i don't dread it. i think my favorite thing about wars in humankind is war support though - in civ 6 the ai would just declare war if they felt like it and there was nothing you could do, and they would stop when they felt like it (if they felt like it) but the whole war support system makes it so much more interesting. you can actually tell when they're likely to go to war against you, and even if they do you can just beat them bad enough that they lose their support and have to surrender.

i had one ai declare a war on me that i had no interest in taking part in, so i just kept my lands really well defended and eventually they ran out of support and had to surrender to me. it owned.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

lol there should definitely be a law about putting your T&Cs in a font that is actively painful to read.

Last I remember the enforceability of those EULAs is super shaky and the courts were very skeptical of terms being hidden in them that aren't obvious to the average user (i.e. "you may not pirate this")

So claiming they're actively hiding things by making it hard to read is actually probably a plausible argument for having it tossed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Your Computer posted:

combat and war was always one of my least favorite things in civ but in this game i don't dread it.

Have you played Anno out of curiosity?