Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I had a nice warning about where Harry's brain goes with these red checks early on with the pinball machine. I figured hey that's a good question, Kim seems to know a lot about these things maybe hes a hobbyist and then I failed and got to learn a bit about racial stereotypes in Revachol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, I've gone through the game three times so far with three different builds. On my second run through (Intellectual Communist Artcop), I got the part of the storyline with Ruby where everyone thinks you're a hitman and torturer for a Mesque[gangster and everyone's freaked out. She calls you "XXXX's(I can't remember his name) can opener. Nothing ever came of that, though, and apparently it's not true? Just some weird rumor? Is there some more of that arc that I'm missing?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

So, I've gone through the game three times so far with three different builds. On my second run through (Intellectual Communist Artcop), I got the part of the storyline with Ruby where everyone thinks you're a hitman and torturer for a Mesque[gangster and everyone's freaked out. She calls you "XXXX's(I can't remember his name) can opener. Nothing ever came of that, though, and apparently it's not true? Just some weird rumor? Is there some more of that arc that I'm missing?

She's just paranoid and listening to whatever rumors people will tell her.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

iirc, she assumes the "human can opener" moniker means that Harry literally opens people up like cans, torturing them to death on behalf of that one powerful gangster who she's ran afoul of (if i'm not mistaken). Harry's colleagues deny that outright, not in the least because Harry's too unstable to be a hitman (as opposed to being a cop)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Harry sobbing and apologizing to his would-be victim as La Puta Madre's goons look on in deep discomfort

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

nurmie posted:

iirc, she assumes the "human can opener" moniker means that Harry literally opens people up like cans, torturing them to death on behalf of that one powerful gangster who she's ran afoul of (if i'm not mistaken). Harry's colleagues deny that outright, not in the least because Harry's too unstable to be a hitman (as opposed to being a cop)

Pretty sure that's meant to be metaphorical instead. There's a part in the confrontation with Ruby where you can bring it up yourself, to help soften the blow when she hears who sold her out. Something like, "you called me a human can opener... I just opened them up." Ruby does not react to this with horror at their brutal deaths but instead takes the metaphorical understanding of it,that you got them to crack and open up to spill all the info inside.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Ah, okay. So, she put two and two together and got five.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

fwiw

Kim and Vicquemare do not think for a second you are on the take, neither does your captain

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

fwiw

Kim and Vicquemare do not think for a second you are on the take, neither does your captain

Yes, and I'm inclined to believe them because there is absolutely zero chance the guy who told Joyce that Mr. Evrart is helping him find his gun would be able to keep it to himself.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Hell, the police barely want you

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

If you call Jules Pideau and ask him about it, he says there's rumours among the other officers at the station, but says there's rumours like that about everyone. I think it's Volition that will pop up to tell you that it's not true, Ruby is just repeating whatever lies Madre told her to scare her.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Speaking of Kim, youtube just recommended me this and it is the most painful conversation I've ever seen in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmeEDMsHtMU

A playthrough where you only pick the most assholish option offered would feel like knives in my heart.
OK but hold on now, what's the outcome if you pass that check?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

TACD posted:

Probably one of the most hype moments in the game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

TACD posted:

You pull rank on him for the first and only time and, as his superior on the force, demand he show his moves on the dance floor.

And then it gets even better

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TACD posted:

Kim:""I did 15 years in the Juvenile Crimes Unit. I can *do* age-inappropriate.

Now check *this* poo poo out
"

[

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sAxhu04SlM

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Loaded up an old save just to take screenshots of this because I apparently did not the first time I encountered this.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I did my check while still lugging the Kvalsund around, that was fun to see

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The consequence of failing that Red Check is one of the few times it is Justified, nay, Demands that you reload the save.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Nah, live with the consequences but own up to what you've done

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Is that better or worse than saying the fascist thing to speedfreaks FM AND roping Kim along with it?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That's what he gets for indulging you and not shutting that poo poo down earlier.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oh god that's horrible :stonk:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

EorayMel posted:

Is that better or worse than saying the fascist thing to speedfreaks FM AND roping Kim along with it?

two weeks probation minimum. mods?!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

this rules, then I went and listened to the tracks they've done for other games and they all suck, so now I don't know if I'm being blinded by bias

EorayMel posted:

Is that better or worse than [spoiler]saying the fascist thing to speedfreaks FM AND roping Kim along with it?
I feel like doing this and the dancing one in the same run should earn you a KO from Kim

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

TACD posted:

I feel like doing this and the dancing one in the same run should earn you a KO from Kim

instant game over for sure

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

EorayMel posted:

:drat:

There is no much content in this game, but I am never going to be able to bring myself to experience it myself.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this game lets you be crueler than planescape:torment but with the full knowledge that you're just a petty psychotic bully instead of a smirking fantasy badass

there's no catharsis in it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do like that you can absolutely be a crooked cop, and kinda have to be to get anywhere, but people dismiss Harry being on the take from the local crime lord on practical grounds; even at his fascist worst he's simply too much of a hot mess to consider a reliable henchman, and on top of that he actually cares about doing his job (at the expense of pretty much all else) which is not a trait you want in your killer cop.

Actually, makes a lot of sense that most of the characters are genuinely surprised that the protagonist is actually doing his job. (mostly because, well, he wasn't for quite a while)

Epic High Five posted:

I had a nice warning about where Harry's brain goes with these red checks early on with the pinball machine. I figured hey that's a good question, Kim seems to know a lot about these things maybe hes a hobbyist and then I failed and got to learn a bit about racial stereotypes in Revachol

It might make sense with the implication that Kim's ethnicity is a loose equivalent to Japanese.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

my only regret is that i could not be even sadder and more communist

I've found that epitaph I've been looking for.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

sebmojo posted:

After reading countless glowing reviews and watching countless video singing this games praises i finally grabbed it while it was on sale....i didn't make it more than 10 minutes. The game did not match anything i had heard about it and i found it to be unbelievably pretentious and weird for the sake of being weird. It had that...excessively Japanese style to it that made it way too weird to immerse myself in and i immediately lost all interest and requested a refund.

Dude! Give it another 20!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sebmojo posted:

After reading countless glowing reviews and watching countless video singing this games praises i finally grabbed it while it was on sale....i didn't make it more than 10 minutes. The game did not match anything i had heard about it and i found it to be unbelievably pretentious and weird for the sake of being weird. It had that...excessively Japanese style to it that made it way too weird to immerse myself in and i immediately lost all interest and requested a refund.

The first ten minutes or so is extremely try-hard, and I bounced off it pretty hard.

It is absolutely worth sticking with it though - it's still weird, but much more purposefully, and once you hit that groove there's nothing quite like it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

you guys might want to read the next few posts after that one you're replying to

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

dmboogie posted:

PERCEPTION [Easy: Failure] - Your eyes glaze over as they drift towards the question-marked button underneath the moderator's avatar. What is before your eyes right now is the only truth that has ever existed.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
only weaklings read, true posters :justpost:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Speaking of excessively Japanese, just starting Yakuza 0 and I get weirdly DE vibes about the old Westerner very early in the game who tells you to 'invest in yourself'.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Wait there is no time limit in this game? Well gently caress.

I love the game, but man do I hate, hate, hate ticking clocks in RPGs. I blundered through about two-thirds of the main quest in an anxious rush because thought I had a deadline and didn't have a good sense of how much time I had left vs. how quickly I was progressing.

Guess I'll start over and take things a bit slower.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Functionally, there is a no time limit, the game ends at around day 35. That's only possible to hit it if you exclusively spend all your waking hours fast forwarding through books and turning in the moment the sun goes down. You have more than enough time to 100% every single quest in the game.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

What happens if you reach day 35? A game over newspaper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Phobophilia posted:

Functionally, there is a no time limit, the game ends at around day 35. That's only possible to hit it if you exclusively spend all your waking hours fast forwarding through books and turning in the moment the sun goes down. You have more than enough time to 100% every single quest in the game.

Waaay more than enough. Holy poo poo that's an absurd number