Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MotU posted:

Hello I am bored and lookin' for some RPGs or JRPGs or SRPGs to play on Steam and I hate searching for them because it gives me all sorts of garbage with the tags

I'd like lesser known gems that are good games maybe and also not too expensive??? If anyone has any reccs I would be v happy

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MotU posted:

Hello I am bored and lookin' for some RPGs or JRPGs or SRPGs to play on Steam and I hate searching for them because it gives me all sorts of garbage with the tags

I'd like lesser known gems that are good games maybe and also not too expensive??? If anyone has any reccs I would be v happy

toyko twilight ghost hunters second gig
troubleshooter
banner of the maid
path of wuxia
chrono ark

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
speaking of toyko twilight they should get kowloon on steam so more people can play it too

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Tokyo Xandu was great accept for the post game thing which was actively nothing

i was prepared to love after story because i, just really love pumpkins and jack-o'-lanterns and then that whole arc was so bleh. i still can't believe the devs thought anyone would be clamoring to play as that guy for the secret special post game bonus

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

How are Phantom Brave and Soul Nomad? I noticed the collection coming out for Switch soon. I've never played a Disgaea, but I really liked Labyrinth of Refrain.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I couldn't get into Phantom Brave/Makai Kingdom for some reason, I'll probably give them another shot some day, but Soul Nomad loving owns.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

i was prepared to love after story because i, just really love pumpkins and jack-o'-lanterns and then that whole arc was so bleh. i still can't believe the devs thought anyone would be clamoring to play as that guy for the secret special post game bonus

tbf it is really funny that you finally get him and he's literally the worst party member, like so useless for general combat purposes that he's not remotely worth playing as

kirbysuperstar posted:

I couldn't get into Phantom Brave/Makai Kingdom for some reason, I'll probably give them another shot some day, but Soul Nomad loving owns.

phantom brave's mechanics are super wonky. which is a shame cause the writing is decent and the way it ties into soul nomad is insanely cool

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Colonel posted:

phantom brave's mechanics are super wonky. which is a shame cause the writing is decent and the way it ties into soul nomad is insanely cool

Yeah even the first chapter had a few "aw, man.." moments.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Colonel posted:

tbf it is really funny that you finally get him and he's literally the worst party member, like so useless for general combat purposes that he's not remotely worth playing as

he's good if you give him the quartz that boosts strong attacks and nerfs ranged+flying attacks, and just spam strongs all day

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xalidur posted:

How are Phantom Brave and Soul Nomad? I noticed the collection coming out for Switch soon. I've never played a Disgaea, but I really liked Labyrinth of Refrain.

Soul Nomad's game is decent enough if you like that kind of game, but the writing and music are excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Squna8lTX4M

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Colonel posted:

Just merge your characters with weed to make them super-powerful.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I finished Fuga, twice. it was longer than I expected, first playthrough was 19 hours, second i sped up with cheat engine but it still took all day. the battle system is engaging, all about timeline management kind of like Saga Scarlet Grace, but also has SSG's problem of a pretty small enemy pool that they just keep throwing at you in different configurations for the entire game. it gets a bit repetitive, the kind of game best played like an hour a night, until the very last stage when the plot suddenly turns up and goes completely bananas, making for a pretty exciting finale. and the good ending includes a 700 year flash forward to tease Solatorobo, so that's neat.

there's also a super secret hidden movie in the game, so secret no one is really sure what unlocks it, including the translators I guess because it doesn't have english subs, teasing a grim, revenge-themed direct sequel to Fuga. CC2 originally announced Fuga as the first of a "trilogy of vengeance" so I guess that adds up.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 22, 2021

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Acerbatus posted:

A very long rope to the top of the sky

I havent played it in years so Idk if it holds up but "I miss the Sunrise" and The Reconstruction.

I think that and the Eternal Punishment opening are the only game openings I watch every time I turn it on.
Both of the first two Wild Arms games have great openings, and for whatever other faults the Working Designs localization of Lunar: SSSC has, the opening is also pretty good imo.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

secretly best girl posted:

While you might want to wait for a sale, the Langrisser remakes are quite good and give you a lot of game for your buck.

will def wait for a sale but i always wanted to langrisser so thanks for bringing it to my attention

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Snooze Cruise posted:

toyko twilight ghost hunters second gig
troubleshooter
banner of the maid
path of wuxia
chrono ark

im deep into troubleshooter and ive played path of wuxia a ton. i wanna get banner of the maid tho

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MotU posted:

im deep into troubleshooter and ive played path of wuxia a ton. i wanna get banner of the maid tho

let me tell you about toyko twilight ghost hunters:
1. there are ghosts
2. the ghost hunting plays like a board game instead of a strategy rpg which i find fun and unique
3. it has a complicated response system where you choose to respond in one of 5 emotions, and then one of 5 senses
so for example you can do an angry smell, or you look kindly, or touch sadly like a "there there" pat

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Snooze Cruise posted:

let me tell you about toyko twilight ghost hunters:
1. there are ghosts
2. the ghost hunting plays like a board game instead of a strategy rpg which i find fun and unique
3. it has a complicated response system where you choose to respond in one of 5 emotions, and then one of 5 senses
so for example you can do an angry smell, or you look kindly, or touch sadly like a "there there" pat

Speaking of, got Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Daybreak Special Gigs or something, anything I should keep in mind before/while I play it? Just beat the second mission.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Morpheus posted:

Speaking of, got Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters Daybreak Special Gigs or something, anything I should keep in mind before/while I play it? Just beat the second mission.

there is a button you need to press on your company's website to get to the hidden verison of the site where you can choose the bonus missions. also the courier website is on the main page somewhere too (not the hidden one) and it has a rewards program that gives you items.

training with people is a good way to build up affinity for whosever ending you want to end + going on missions with. if you don't meet the requirements for a character ending you will get a bad end and not see the last mission i believe from what i read (doing a lot of missions + training with someone from what I read is a good way to get this, don't need to worry about answering correctly to stuff for this, tho you can miss some character recruitments.) there is a hard to get ending that involves getting all the 6th sense scenes where you are required too do the right e motional/sensory inputs at the right moments to do ESP stuff with the ghosts. i already missed this but i plan on doing a second play through of the game.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Aug 22, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xalidur posted:

soul nomad has a mildly annoying system where your squads size, shapes, and bonus skills is determined purely by rng so you just have to roll over and over until you get what you want, but there's no cost to rolling so its just ten minutes of rolling when you reorganize your squads/unlock an extra slot for a squad. and its presentation is extremely cheap, lots of static portraits that dont even emote, theres like 7 or 8 actual 'cutscenes' in the game and even those use sprites

but the writing is fantastic and the gameplay is fun

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I went hype when I saw the Soul Nomad/Phantom Brave re-releases on Switch and it looks like rear end graphically

i'll probably play it because i have a Nippon Ichi weakness, though I still haven't gotten D6

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lets hang out posted:

I finished Fuga, twice. it was longer than I expected, first playthrough was 19 hours, second i sped up with cheat engine but it still took all day. the battle system is engaging, all about timeline management kind of like Saga Scarlet Grace, but also has SSG's problem of a pretty small enemy pool that they just keep throwing at you in different configurations for the entire game. it gets a bit repetitive, the kind of game best played like an hour a night, until the very last stage when the plot suddenly turns up and goes completely bananas, making for a pretty exciting finale. and the good ending includes a 700 year flash forward to tease Solatorobo, so that's neat.

there's also a super secret hidden movie in the game, so secret no one is really sure what unlocks it, including the translators I guess because it doesn't have english subs, teasing a grim, revenge-themed direct sequel to Fuga. CC2 originally announced Fuga as the first of a "trilogy of vengeance" so I guess that adds up.

sick I wanted to get this as soon as I saw the artstyle and I didn't know it was actually part of a series

I stupidly blew sixty bucks on Mario 3D World so I'm tapped out on games excepting Quake but the artstyle and combat interface all looked super enticing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it looks like rear end graphically
it wouldnt be true to soul nomad if it didnt

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i love NIS spritework!!! loving it up with terrible upscaling should be a crime

seriously look at the screenshots on the Switch eshop, and imagine choosing those to represent the game lol. I know NIS is constantly in trouble but was the Disgaea gacha that bad

e) i'm glad that Soul Nomad is still rated T for Teen though

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 22, 2021

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i love NIS spritework!!! loving it up with terrible upscaling should be a crime

seriously look at the screenshots on the Switch eshop, and imagine choosing those to represent the game lol. I know NIS is constantly in trouble but was the Disgaea gacha that bad

I think it’s more that there was a mass exodus a while ago cause of some scummy/shady stuff, iirc.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Not paying your employees will do that

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

FF: Crystal Chronicles on switch is still hosed, right? Had a friend asking me about itm

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no jp companies just dont think upscaling like that looks bad. see also the ff remasters

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

NLJP posted:

FF: Crystal Chronicles on switch is still hosed, right? Had a friend asking me about itm

Define hosed? It's perfectly fine if you want to replay the game solo or do individual dungeons with randoms, but the remake is by (baffling) design completely incapable of doing a coop playthrough like you could on gamecube.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

youre better off emulating it on pc, someone recently put together a patch for dolphin to allow for gba link cable emulation too

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

Define hosed? It's perfectly fine if you want to replay the game solo or do individual dungeons with randoms, but the remake is by (baffling) design completely incapable of doing a coop playthrough like you could on gamecube.

Yeah that's the bit I meant. Thanks!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Endorph posted:

youre better off emulating it on pc, someone recently put together a patch for dolphin to allow for gba link cable emulation too

Specifically, it's GBA <-> GC emulation over netplay. The protocol itself has been emulated for a long time, but Dolphin now ships an actual GBA emulator so it can be easily synced the same way regular Netplay stays synced. It's very neat!

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2021/07/21/integrated-gba/

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

early trip reports

DQ7: i'm at the volcano island now after 3 hours. i'm enjoying this a lot, even though like others have mentioned, the enemies being visible on field actually means more encounters in the cramped dungeons. i don't quite have a feel for whether i'm levelling at the right pace or not but I guess that won't matter until later on. i think the aesthetic is charming, the pacing is nice and episodic in the way I like, and the party's at each other's throats constantly which is a plus. also each island is like, not very big, so it's like a bunch of little mini-DQ adventures (I guess DQ4 is another game of mini-DQ adventures but not as micro-sized as these islands).

Bravely Default: what the gently caress why do the characters look so much better in the CG/AR sequences of Bravely Default 1 than the characters in Bravely Default 2? it's not a fidelity issue, as the 3DS literally renders Agnes in real-time in the AR segment, so certainly the Switch can render characters that look like that, it's not hyper realistic. but instead they went with bizarre bobblehead figurines that look so much worse, like uglier versions of Wonderful 101 characters. whose idea was that???

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

early trip reports

DQ7: i'm at the volcano island now after 3 hours. i'm enjoying this a lot, even though like others have mentioned, the enemies being visible on field actually means more encounters in the cramped dungeons. i don't quite have a feel for whether i'm levelling at the right pace or not but I guess that won't matter until later on. i think the aesthetic is charming, the pacing is nice and episodic in the way I like, and the party's at each other's throats constantly which is a plus. also each island is like, not very big, so it's like a bunch of little mini-DQ adventures (I guess DQ4 is another game of mini-DQ adventures but not as micro-sized as these islands).

You’re never gonna be underleveled cause of that cramped hallway thing you mentioned, plus VII is super jank in the player’s favor in general, which works out with the menu lag. Glad you’re having fun, VII is just a game of 80% vignettes which is pretty great if you don’t have any expectations of anything else but some people aren’t super on board with.

Also if you wanna see something cool you can open up an alternative storyline on volcano island by saying “no” at every opportunity.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

no jp companies just dont think upscaling like that looks bad. see also the ff remasters

some cultural divides are unbridgeable

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah dolphin gba connectivity is better than ever so if you wanna play crystal chronicles co-op you should just do that. works for zelda four swords too

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Huh, this is cool. I like wild arms a bunch but I never knew it had merch:

A friend of mine has these

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Wild ARMs 2 is probably my favorite version of Xenogears

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
please judge wild arms 2 on its own merits as its story and themes are very different from xenogears

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhLfLUtBZA4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
wild arms 2 was good enough that not even the absolute hack job of a translation it got could completely kill it

e: I have no idea if recettear is a hidden gem or anything but it's on steam and you should play it