Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jesus. Those yields are easily 15 times what any of my cities produce. How are you doing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Buy all luxuries and stack all bonuses from buildings, district synergies etc. Every luxury gives you more bonuses, so it is wise to own as many luxuries as possible? 10 coffee? Sweet, buy them all!

You get even more bonuses from luxuries after that one tech, which upgrades the effect of luxuries.

I try to prioritize pop growth so I have lots of guys doing stuff. 70-90 seems to be the decent lategame city pop size.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yeah, currently luxuries are excessively good, the fact that you buy them PERMANENTLY with a one-time gold payment is really bad design. You should always buy luxuries as soon as you can afford to do so. It's like 1000 gold to rush a district, or 300 gold to buy coffee and permanently get +1 food for every farmer in your empire.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
It's not even 300 gold.

People are buying my luxuries for as low as 12 gold. Twelve! It's barely worth me to even turn on trade-luxuries.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How many territories are you attaching? I've been just doing two per city. It seems like more cities are better since you have more build queues, and I've never come close to filling the space with districts, but obviously I don't know what I'm doing.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

How many territories are you attaching? I've been just doing two per city. It seems like more cities are better since you have more build queues, and I've never come close to filling the space with districts, but obviously I don't know what I'm doing.

Looks like 4 on most with one city with 6.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Grand Fromage posted:

I start with the one or two territories per city and then start merging cities as soon as I can so I can start founding more with settlers. Basically as so soon as I got the merger tech I started absorbing minor civs and merging them into the nearest city while sending settlers into any un colonized regions. Apart from Harrapa all those cities were formed out of mergers of 2 or 3 cities. You can see this most clearly on Mohenj Daro which is actually tiny but absorbed two minor civs to it's South.

I also lucked out by getting the Harappan (thanks to whoever posted about sticking scouts on auto explore) and then also bagging the Khmer which meant I had massive population growth.

And finally yes I bought every single luxury resource I could.

E: also unique districts are vital to snowball and if your cities are only ever 2 territories big you'd be limited to 20 with 10 cities. By averaging 4 territories (at a guess) per city I could build 40 unique districts across those 10 cities. This was key with Turkish public schools in the last era which helped me get over my science shortfall.

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 22, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
As far as Religion goes, does anyone have fun pieces they've discovered?

Me, I've learned that the early war bonus, the... uh... "Tithe the Wealthy" is insane. That +10 war support is a straight increase. It more than doubles your war support for winning a battle, (+8 -> + 18) and triples your support if you force your enemy into a retreat (+5 -> +15). It doesn't effect your opponent's war support, so it seems pointless. "Oh, so I have a bit more leeway to lose a battle or two". Big deal. But then, when you win a war, the reparations you can get from the war become very, very good.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The tier one tenet that gives +5 gold per luxury resource deposit is insane in the early game where you don't have a lot of ways of getting more gold.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Danann posted:

The tier one tenet that gives +5 gold per luxury resource deposit is insane in the early game where you don't have a lot of ways of getting more gold.

*Cries in 8 territories and literally no luxury resources in any of them*

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

pollution feels kind of half assed to be honest. there really isn’t any way to clean up existing pollution so once you hit a certain level, it’s basically a handicap. i’m guessing that environmentalism is going to be dlc in the future because otherwise it basically dooms any game you keep playing past victory.

i did try planting as many forests possible to see if that could bring it down, but all it seems to do is vary the amount of pollution from turn to turn.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Personally I’m all about amplitudes in-game thesis that we need to use violence against big polluting entities rather than get distracted by shiny greenwash marketing.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Splash Attack posted:

pollution feels kind of half assed to be honest. there really isn’t any way to clean up existing pollution so once you hit a certain level, it’s basically a handicap. i’m guessing that environmentalism is going to be dlc in the future because otherwise it basically dooms any game you keep playing past victory.

i did try planting as many forests possible to see if that could bring it down, but all it seems to do is vary the amount of pollution from turn to turn.

If you look at the forests that you can grow, you'll see there's a 2 (turn) symbol after it explains that it gets rid of pollution.

So like, it gets rid of 10 pollution, which is two unmodified train stations, but only for an incredibly paltry 2 turns.

Which makes the planting of forests to get rid of pollution doubly insane, because in order to sustain continually planting forests, you basically need to set up territories that plant them even as they harvest other forests since harvesting forests doesn't actually produce pollution. :psyduck:

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Personally I’m all about amplitudes in-game thesis that we need to use violence against big polluting entities rather than get distracted by shiny greenwash marketing.

it is a attitude i can get behind but in a game i'd like other options :v: mostly because i do like to dick around past end game, i've realized that even though my pollution is very minimal, it's accumulated enough over the centuries that i'm at level 2 and there's no way to reduce it.

Veryslightlymad posted:

If you look at the forests that you can grow, you'll see there's a 2 (turn) symbol after it explains that it gets rid of pollution.

So like, it gets rid of 10 pollution, which is two unmodified train stations, but only for an incredibly paltry 2 turns.

Which makes the planting of forests to get rid of pollution doubly insane, because in order to sustain continually planting forests, you basically need to set up territories that plant them even as they harvest other forests since harvesting forests doesn't actually produce pollution. :psyduck:

wait so you basically have to plant forests, let them grow, then cut them down, and then replant them? because i think forests are the only active pollution reducer in the game, and as someone who filled every spot in my territories with forests tile by tile, the idea of constantly having to do that is exhausting.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Veryslightlymad posted:

Cut down the forests, launch the biomass into space using a renewably powered space elevator so they don't decompose and release their carbon, replant forests, problem solved

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
is there a way to wage an exterminatus war on someone? i'm currently mad about wiping all the cities of a nation off the continent and being forced to give most of them back in negotiations

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Jinnigan posted:

is there a way to wage an exterminatus war on someone? i'm currently mad about wiping all the cities of a nation off the continent and being forced to give most of them back in negotiations

Just pillage the cities and outposts and plop down your own.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010
10 seems like a lot of cultures to mull over. I feel like maybe you should be offered 3 or so, based on the type of era stars you earned. Alternatively, a world map scenario could feature unlocking cultures through inhabiting their historical territory.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, playing on a huge map was a mistake. Only 4 civs, but the issue the map is full of the indie civs and a lot of them are violent so there's about a dozen random armies ransacking my outposts and my armies are running around playing wack a mole with them. At least Barbarians can be eliminated easily, even with 2/3 of the battle bar in my favor, I can't seem to wreck their cities.

Barnaby Barnacle posted:

10 seems like a lot of cultures to mull over. I feel like maybe you should be offered 3 or so, based on the type of era stars you earned. Alternatively, a world map scenario could feature unlocking cultures through inhabiting their historical territory.

I was expecting it to be in a cultural line. Like you choose a european culture first, the next one would be another european culture, and then yet another one. Like Myceneians, Then celt, then franks, then dutch then british, then swedes. It's a bit higgly piggily right now.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Whoa, settlers being able to create cities with all the infrastructure buildings pre-made is crazy powerful. I'm not sure what I think about the big swings this game is making but they're interesting. Strategic resources being so rare seems like it's designed to drive wars. If I knew who I needed to attack to get gunpowder.

Its annoying because its one of the things that I think Endless Legend (and the other Endless games) did right. Each copy of the resource granted you X number of that resource that you stockpiled every turn. And then certain units and buildings required X number of the stockpiled resource to be built.

You still wanted to fight over control of the resources, since more of that resource meant you could be more able to develop your infrastructure or military. But you didn't get into this ridiculous binary function of Humankind where you don't have 3 horses so you can't build your 'emblematic' unit or whatever.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

This game looks neat should I get it?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Lawman 0 posted:

it's a big buggy at the moment. much more fun than civ 6 was at launch by far, however. i prefer it to civ 6, even with the expansions.

the bugs are kinda major but don't really impede playing. for one of them, an AI player gets influence with every minor city-state entity for free, and another is that the minimum integer on resource spawns is missing.

Barnaby Barnacle
May 25, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I was expecting it to be in a cultural line. Like you choose a european culture first, the next one would be another european culture, and then yet another one. Like Myceneians, Then celt, then franks, then dutch then british, then swedes. It's a bit higgly piggily right now.

I felt like Amplitude always considered the possibility of wilder combinations one of the game's selling points. But maybe designating different continents in random map creation as "Europe" or "Asia" and so on would be neat, too.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Playing a crazy mishmash of civs rules, actually

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

It's better for yourself but bad for the ai. I feel like I never know who I'm dealing with when it comes to them. Though I think the idea could've been done via political party elections or ambitions or something and given more structure to what you play.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Horizon Burning posted:

it's a big buggy at the moment. much more fun than civ 6 was at launch by far, however. i prefer it to civ 6, even with the expansions.

the bugs are kinda major but don't really impede playing. for one of them, an AI player gets influence with every minor city-state entity for free, and another is that the minimum integer on resource spawns is missing.

There's a game-breaking bug atm where if your Religion tiers up, but you don't have any tenets to choose from, you can't end your turn. It's getting fixed next patch though along with the other two.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lawman 0 posted:

This game does nothing for me and I don't like it but I have weird tastes so I suggest giving it a try if you have the money. Two hours should be enough time to figure out if you like it or not. If you like Civ then you probably can't be done too wrong.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 23, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eimi posted:

It's better for yourself but bad for the ai. I feel like I never know who I'm dealing with when it comes to them. Though I think the idea could've been done via political party elections or ambitions or something and given more structure to what you play.

I do agree its not well telegraphed - you need to associate behavior and nationality with the avatars, not whatever their current nation is, which is a big miss because you end up with people talking about 'yeah green and red this game'.

The avatars are a cool idea in theory but they're so generic it makes telling them apart tricky. What I wound up doing was picking three men, three women, and making sure they had somewhat iconic or at least memorable names during setup. I found that helped me remember who was a warmonger, who was generally trustworthy, etc.

Even that has problems because in theory you want a nice random mix of avatars each game so they have a different mix of behaviors - relearning them isn't super hard (check the tooltips on their behaviors in the bottom right of the diplo screen), but it can be hard to remember them if you didn't set them up by hand.

The behavior of the warmongers and trustworthy types in my most recent game has been pretty consistent for three eras, despite nation choices.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I like the culture-switching, but it's bizarre that the game goes out of its way to only refer to players by their current culture. I got a notification that the Aztecs had declared war on me, and spent a minute trying to figure out who the hell the Aztecs were; it turns out the Huns had changed culture that same turn.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

These types of misses annoy the hell out of me because, again, everything else in Amplitude's games is so good.

I suppose I have no one but myself to blame since in theory I could have participated in their G2G stuff and betas :v: Can't whine about it if I didn't try to help eh?

(but gently caress a bunch of arguing with official forum nerds, instead I'll post on this dead one)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

imo it would be great if the game let you set a moniker for each competitor and then use that, so you get a message saying "the cool tea people have declared war on the fuckshit dogbrain backstabbers"

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
i feel like it should use the AI persona names because i definitely echo the thought that i have trouble keeping track of who is what

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
use the Ai name but have the civ they currently are be in parentheses behind it

one of the AIs is Beowulf so throughout the game he would be Beowulf (egyptians), Beowulf (huns) etc.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

one of the AIs is Beowulf so throughout the game he would be Beowulf (egyptians), Beowulf (huns) etc.

yep, it's baffling this isn't how they display it

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

AnEdgelord posted:

this would be great

also, can we just create 'our' avatar? i feel like i should be able to create a bunch of custom personas if i want to

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vengarr posted:

There's a game-breaking bug atm where if your Religion tiers up, but you don't have any tenets to choose from, you can't end your turn. It's getting fixed next patch though along with the other two.

Do we know when that is? All my complaints about this game feel like obvious, minor quibbles that should be easy to fix by a competent studio.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It's one of those issues like the zero strategics bug that really really really should have been picked up much earlier.

Anywho. The battles in HK are such a relief after years of Civ. It was always so disappointing in civ to see units constantly embarking and disembarking onto random lake tiles, or marching in random circles when right next to an almost-dead enemy. I had my first proper battle against HK's Huns yesterday and got to watch my armies just evaporate under horse archer attack.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

It's one of those issues like the zero strategics bug that really really really should have been picked up much earlier.

Anywho. The battles in HK are such a relief after years of Civ. It was always so disappointing in civ to see units constantly embarking and disembarking onto random lake tiles, or marching in random circles when right next to an almost-dead enemy. I had my first proper battle against HK's Huns yesterday and got to watch my armies just evaporate under horse archer attack.

I've had some sprawling multi-turn multi-army stack battles that spanned a third of the nation's territories with siege, ranged, infantry, horses :black101:

e: and elephants! how can I forget the elephants

No/minimal water pangea and no map wrap has made for some pretty impressive fights so far on the highest difficulty

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The battles are truly impressive. I had a fight with 12 of my troops involved - archers, swordsmen, and scouts - with reinforcements rushing across the map to help. It was a defining moment in the era.

Why does the AI struggle with map wrap? Do they maybe not understand sending troops across the sea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Chamale posted:

The battles are truly impressive. I had a fight with 12 of my troops involved - archers, swordsmen, and scouts - with reinforcements rushing across the map to help. It was a defining moment in the era.

Why does the AI struggle with map wrap? Do they maybe not understand sending troops across the sea?

Nah, I don't think that's anything specific to humankind, it's just something I've had good luck with in other similar games disabling - less pathfinding to deal with. Very possible that's placebo and it has no issue handling it, but my thought is removing as many potential dumb decisions it can make improves the odds of big brawls.

I'm planning on doing a bunch of games on humankind with/without it on (on large pangea/no water) and see how it feels either way - I'll do that after they patch the strategics and influence bugs, which should be soon.