Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tortolia posted:

I think it's because Hildibrand is cited as an important content unlock in the thread OPs.

OP here, I cited it as important because I think it's some of the funniest content in the game and I wanted to make sure new players knew about it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

hildebrand is extremely important

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
I'm on the trial edition rolling a CNJ, now WHM and having a blast. Does the complete edition go on sale often? I know it was on sale back in July. I'm definitely looking to get the full game at some point in the near future, but if it's likely to go on sale again soon I may wait and level some other jobs to slow down a bit.

e: Also I desperately regret not making a Lalafel, but I don't want to start entirely over at this point and still only have one character slot available on my realm.

Pobrecito fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 22, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Pobrecito posted:

I'm on the trial edition rolling a CNJ, now WHM and having a blast. Does the complete edition go on sale often? I know it was on sale back in July. I'm definitely looking to get the full game at some point in the near future, but if it's likely to go on sale again soon I may wait and level some other jobs to slow down a bit.

e: Also I desperately regret not making a Lalafel, but I don't want to start entirely over at this point and still only have one character slot available on my realm.

I think it's been on sale a few times this year already, wouldn't be surprised if it went on sale again before Endwalker drops in November. And you get a free fantasia (item that lets you change race, etc) before Heavensward.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I think it's been on sale a few times this year already, wouldn't be surprised if it went on sale again before Endwalker drops in November. And you get a free fantasia (item that lets you change race, etc) before Heavensward.

Ah nice, good to know. Hopefully it will go on sale before I finish the trial MSQ.

Also how long are queue times for DPS classes generally? I think I'm getting extremely spoiled queueing as a healer. I don't think I've ever not had a instant group when I needed one.

e:

Also just a random thought, but I really like that people stick to one character for the most part. I've already run into the same people several times running around. It makes the world feel much more lived in.

Pobrecito fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 22, 2021

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Pobrecito posted:

Ah nice, good to know. Hopefully it will go on sale before I finish the trial MSQ.

Also how long are queue times for DPS classes generally? I think I'm getting extremely spoiled queueing as a healer. I don't think I've ever not had a instant group when I needed one.

e:

Also just a random thought, but I really like that people stick to one character for the most part. I've already run into the same people several times running around. It makes the world feel much more lived in.

During busy hours I can typically get a msq dungeon to pop as a dps in 10min or so. Popular roulettes like leveling roulette a bit faster.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Typically you can expect 10-15 minute solo queues as a dps but queue times for all roles can fluctuate based on factors like new job releases (expect healer queues to slow up in Endwalker as people try and level Sages) or what content you're trying to run (Alliance DR tends to be faster queues for dps since each run needs proportionately more of the role to get moving).

So not horrible, but you'll have time to do other things while waiting and might consider looking at side options for leveling dps jobs since they're less able to queue and go.

And obviously if/when you join a FC feel free to try to pre-form groups.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is there anything uber-important in the Coils of Bahamut story-wise?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Regalingualius posted:

mmmmmm... kinda? It's big stuff and touching, but more "fill in at some point if interested in lore" than "definitely do this before continuing the game". I'd say it's worth doing unsynced once 80 or if guildies are pursuing it, but if you're not into it for the actual challenge there's no reason to do it immediately.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

it's important if you watched the ARR End of an Era trailer (which everyone should imo) and want to know "so what actually happened with Bahamut at the end there? did he die? where did he go?"

which, in-lore, is a HUGE deal because Bahamut destroyed the world almost, and folks don't really remember what happened.

there's a lot of incidental lore in the raid too that serves to fill out more backstory of stuff like the Allagans, the dragons, and primals. it's very cool and if you can find someone (like a friendly goon or two) they can carry you through them unsynced, so you don't have to worry about all the weird-rear end old raid mechanics, and just enjoy the story.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yeah its important and you should do it unsync'd

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The writers have mentioned it'll be tied into Endwalker, and a lot of it comes up through the game so its worth running through unsynced for story stuff.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Oh wow, bought two jumbo cactpot tickets for the first time ever and got 2nd and 4th prizes, both tickets won!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

But by not buying 3 tickets you have ~1000 less mgp than you could have

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
This time I have three tickets - only just noticed that it is capped to three each week and last week I decided to stop at 2 since the cost kept going up :shobon:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
You're always going to make a profit on jumbo cactpot tickets (and on basically everything in the gold saucer; you have to be trying HARD to lose mgp).

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I'm pretty sure the only way to lose money is just completely suck it up at Triple Triad. Even when you lose though they give you like a tiny rebate.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

sweet geek swag posted:

You can assign dpad up and down to keyboard binds in keybinds:gamepad, thus allowing a keyboard and mouse user to use soft targeting. You can also soft target via the mousewheel by activating mouse targeting settings in Character config:Control settings:mouse.

Here's a link that explains it all: https://saltedxiv.com/guides/target-selection-guide-mouse-keyboard

From yesterday, but gently caress, you're right. I remember experimenting with that a bit but couldn't find a binding that worked for me. I just switched to keeping the F1-8 keys as party targeting.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Coils also give you some more quality time with Alisaie, which is a nice counterpart to all the time you've had with Alphinaud at that point in the game. Plus some amazing showpiece fights.

(Absolutely feel free to unsynch the fights, though consider doing T13, the very final fight, synched; but that's not mandatory by any means).

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

Leraika posted:

You're always going to make a profit on jumbo cactpot tickets (and on basically everything in the gold saucer; you have to be trying HARD to lose mgp).

Yes, even not getting any numbers correct will still give you more MGP than you paid in, so you should always buy all three tickets per week.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

Man, FFXIV community is such a breath of fresh air compared to WoW. I've been mostly in groups with veterans and nobody has complained about me watching cinematics for the first time or not knowing mechanics.

I did just have an all-sprout first timer group for Titan and it was fun as hell. None of us had any clue of the fight going in so we had to learn the mechanics on the fly. We wiped one time when me (WHM) and a BRD thought standing in the red was a good idea lmao. But we cleared it on our second attempt.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Pobrecito posted:

Man, FFXIV community is such a breath of fresh air compared to WoW. I've been mostly in groups with veterans and nobody has complained about me watching cinematics for the first time or not knowing mechanics.

I did just have an all-sprout first timer group for Titan and it was fun as hell. None of us had any clue of the fight going in so we had to learn the mechanics on the fly. We wiped one time when me (WHM) and a BRD thought standing in the red was a good idea lmao. But we cleared it on our second attempt.

Oh no, the floor is gone.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Pobrecito posted:

Its a right of passage, everyone needs to do it at least once.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Tried doing the first Minstrel Ballad trial last night in a PUG and uh

lot going on there

1stGear fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 22, 2021

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, that was an end game fight back when it was current, where everyone was expected to know the strats going in.

Basically everyone going in there in a pug is basically guaranteed to be a new person, trying to do an end game fight without knowing what to do. That's going to be difficult.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but it'll be a mess.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It felt doable as we got pretty close on one attempt. But popping the orbs was consistently murdering us.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
When I did Titan the first time, I assumed invisible walls surrounded the platform, like they do everywhere else where I actually do want to jump down.

The party did fine without me.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Duodecimal posted:

When I did Titan the first time, I assumed invisible walls surrounded the platform, like they do everywhere else where I actually do want to jump down.

We've all been there friend

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What’s the name of that track that plays during tense mystery scenes that’s just a few piano notes?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

1stGear posted:

It felt doable as we got pretty close on one attempt. But popping the orbs was consistently murdering us.

If I remember correctly it's either you need to share the damage by stacking up or only tanks can pop orbs, it's one or the other.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Regalingualius posted:

What’s the name of that track that plays during tense mystery scenes that’s just a few piano notes?

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taF4CVgx_rE

Or maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJj2Q3h4u-4

Less likely...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmheJO3xOiE

Or perhaps?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p0nAjyPIhU

And these are just from 1.0/ARR! This game has a lot of music...

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I had a couple of questions regarding mostly items and storage:
  • Is there a way to obtain quest rewards later? I'm only 52 and most rewards have shared models with craftable/lootable stuff so not worried there, but some are now giving me some cool looking gear (they were a series with names like "Daystar" and "Noctis") that I wouldn't mind being able to get once I decide to level the classes that use them.
  • Do people have any rules of thumb about storing gear for classes you might level later? Or is it easier to just keep your Armory clean and buy the gear when you need it? Like I'm a monk now, and I know I want to level a dark knight once I unlock it, so I was wondering if I should be squirreling away some +Tenacity jewelry and such.
  • Is there an easy to way to dispel a glamour off your entire current set? Or is the only way to get 8 cubes and do it individually?
  • Is Weaving the go-to crafting skill for making fashion clothes? I was checking out the level 1 statless items on the Market Board and most look like "cloth".
  • This is more rhetorical but why on earth does my low level (i.e. Rank I and II) Materia sell for like, a couple thousand Gil, but the "higher" kinds (the few III and IV's I've gotten) only sell for a couple hundred?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Celebrity Ghost posted:

• Is there a way to obtain quest rewards later? I'm only 52 and most rewards have shared models with craftable/lootable stuff so not worried there, but some are now giving me some cool looking gear (they were a series with names like "Daystar" and "Noctis") that I wouldn't mind being able to get once I decide to level the classes that use them.
  • Do people have any rules of thumb about storing gear for classes you might level later? Or is it easier to just keep your Armory clean and buy the gear when you need it? Like I'm a monk now, and I know I want to level a dark knight once I unlock it, so I was wondering if I should be squirreling away some +Tenacity jewelry and such.
  • Is there an easy to way to dispel a glamour off your entire current set? Or is the only way to get 8 cubes and do it individually?
  • Is Weaving the go-to crafting skill for making fashion clothes? I was checking out the level 1 statless items on the Market Board and most look like "cloth".
  • This is more rhetorical but why on earth does my low level (i.e. Rank I and II) Materia sell for like, a couple thousand Gil, but the "higher" kinds (the few III and IV's I've gotten) only sell for a couple hundred?

some of those sets are a little weird cause they were essentially the old tomestone gear of ARR but they got turned into 2.X quest rewards because, well, those quests just didnt offer gear lol

you can buy them with allied seals which are obtained via arr hunts

But more important I would segue into https://www.garlandtools.org/db/ being an excellent resource for this kind of thing, by searching items and switching to this tab

you can find sources for really anything
it's not the only resource like this but it's still my preferred one

e; might as well add

use this tab in glamour plates to dispel, by default it will dispel everything but you can actually check and uncheck which slots you want it to

RME fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 23, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Celebrity Ghost posted:

they were a series with names like "Daystar" and "Noctis"

Those can be bought from Rowena's Splendor's vendors in the big 3 city-states (near the main aetheryte crystals, blue bag icon on the map) under the category "Gerolt's Masterworks". They're not the best items for level 50 though (that'd be the Augmented Ironworks sets, available from the same vendors) so it'd be just for looks/glamour.

[edit] Oh wait those are only the weapons, I guess the hunt seals as mentioned above are how you get the armor now.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Celebrity Ghost posted:

- I don't think there's anything from quests you can't recover. It's either on the Calamity Salvager for 1000 gil or there's some other process to recover it. The Daystar robe can be bought with Allied Seals from hunts, for instance. That said: look at the icons at the top right of the tooltip. If the rightmost one is lit you can store it in the Armoire, which has infinite space but only allows a few items (L50 gear sets, various cosmetic rewards). If the middle is lit you can store it in the Glamour Dresser, which has space for 400 items. It's meant for glamour but you can just store your stuff there if you want, there's nothing stopping you.
- You'll run out of armory space pretty quick if you keep everything on you. I keep stuff for the next 10 levels of jobs I am leveling on me. Most people just liquidate their assets ASAP which is probably the best option, but I'm a terrible hoarder so I have a retainer with a couple of tabs worth of stuff I intend to use sometime later maybe.
- There's an option in the glamour plate interface as mentioned, but it's pretty rare you want to dispel glams. Set up glamour plates, and change which plate is linked to the relevant job gearset when you want to change appearance.
- Some low level materia are used in specific crafting quests, and as such are valued more highly. Those quests also make materia leave the market, unlike the stuff people wear which they can just reuse infinitely. Low level crafting and gathering materia is still heavily used at max level, so they're worth more.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks for the quick answers!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
You can also shove stuff you want to keep in the glamour dresser and it'll be there waiting for you to take it out. I'd still recommend leveling all your classes that use one type of gear sequentially (white mage/scholar/astrologian all use the same gear, so if you put together a set for one, you can use it leveling all three, etc) just to cut down on accumulation.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Duodecimal posted:

My guild now has a routine on every new trial. Before the pull, somebody tests the wall. Is it death or just a lot of damage? Can you fall?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Falling off in Titan is a right of passage, both as a sprout and also while learning certain jobs.

On the first day of Stormblood early access I queued for Trial DR and got Titan HM. There were two brand new red mages in the party, and both of them Displaced off the platform in the first 90 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Tortolia posted:

Falling off in Titan is a right of passage, both as a sprout and also while learning certain jobs.

On the first day of Stormblood early access I queued for Trial DR and got Titan HM. There were two brand new red mages in the party, and both of them Displaced off the platform in the first 90 seconds.

I have done this. More than once.