Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Spent a ton of time this weekend getting an Amazon to 18 and 3 other classes to at least 6th.

All of that progress is going to be wiped tomorrow.

Well now I feel like an idiot.

I mean I have near Olympian powers of procrastination and ability to dick around rather than do something useful, but with hindsight even I'm thinking "Welp, wasted that weekend".

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Deptfordx posted:

Lol.

Spent a ton of time this weekend getting an Amazon to 18 and 3 other classes to at least 6th.

All of that progress is going to be wiped tomorrow.

Well now I feel like an idiot.

As long as you had fun it was not a waste.

My plans to see how it's received before dropping $40.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Do you people not know about the G button to toggle between new and old graphics on the fly?

I don't know how you can switch back and forth and say there's no difference. The old graphics are animated at like 20 fps and the pixels are so chunky on a modern display that I thought I must have not set it to the 800x600 "hi-res" mode, but it was indeed at full quality.

"It looks like my 20 year old nostalgia memories of diablo 2" means they did a great job and that it took a ton of work because the original game looks much worse than you recall.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I played og d2 for the very first time last year and rest assured I am stoked at the graphical improvements

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Scoss posted:

I don't know how you can switch back and forth and say there's no difference. The old graphics are animated at like 20 fps and the pixels are so chunky on a modern display that I thought I must have not set it to the 800x600 "hi-res" mode, but it was indeed at full quality.

"It looks like my 20 year old nostalgia memories of diablo 2" means they did a great job and that it took a ton of work because the original game looks much worse than you recall.

I don't know that anyone is seriously saying that there's no difference.

Speaking personally, I feel the exact way you describe in the second paragraph: The remaster looks just like I remember the game looking. I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the original graphics and how low-res they were.

The remaster is probably the best instance I've ever seen of a developer just NAILING it, when it comes to remaining faithful to the source material to the point that it's just like you remember.

To me, the part that has aged the most/worst is the movement. Only being able to move in 8 directions is really jarring after playing modern games for so long, but there's not much that can be done about that without essentially rewriting (and potentially rebalancing) the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I don't know that anyone is seriously saying that there's no difference.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

You don't even notice the graphics upgrade outside the character select window. It feels like it looks exactly as good as it did when it came out.

somebody did lol, hence the reply you're responding to

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Seems the more active Diablo thread.

Dragged a Pally though act1 before thinking how the progress would be wiped soon and stopping. I think all but one friend is avoiding the game for reasons, and that guy was too busy this weekend to play anyway.

It's D2. Yup.
Sorta Zoomed out at least.

Doubtful I'll pick it up if the majority of my friends are disinterested in giving money to Bliz for the foreseeable future, and $40 for an admittedly very pretty skin seems a bit high to me. Also the rubberbanding was weird; I'm too used to playing these games offline solo.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I had an interesting time trying to make a gimmick act 2 sorc. Good thing this only lasts a few days because thats about as long my interest held on this particular project. Made it to 31 with all the runewords you can get based on zone limits.

I'm sure some people made it into the 40s. I also kind of thought about getting some friends together to see how high a rune we could cube up. Maybe if this went on a few more days...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I guess if you played the original D2 yesterday and the remaster today you'd notice a huge difference in graphics but aside from a week or two of some Eastern Sun that I played this side of 2010 all of my D2 memories are 15-20 years old and it looks exactly the same to me now as I remember it looking back then.

Just for my own edification… you did go into the graphical settings and crank everything up, right?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yeah all the way up to 800x600. I don't see a difference.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Yeah all the way up to 800x600. I don't see a difference.
nobody believes you!! not even me. And I prefer the original inventory item graphics over d2r's. I'm incapable of telling if it's because I've looked at them since I was a child 20 years ago or because d2r has some stylistic inconsistencies for the inventory items that really stick out.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 23, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Khorne posted:

nobody believes you!! not even me. And I prefer the original inventory item graphics over d2r's. I'm incapable of telling if it's because I've looked at them since I was a child 20 years ago or because d2r has some stylistic inconsistencies for the inventory items that really stick out.

FWIW they did a pass over the items, they used to be more dramatically different than D2 but they got feedback that players weren't wild about it and made them much closer

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

FWIW they did a pass over the items, they used to be more dramatically different than D2 but they got feedback that players weren't wild about it and made them much closer
None of the gems really bother me. I even like the pre-feedback flawless ruby better than the final one.

Potions vs gems vs charms (nailed the aesthetic here) vs tomes (super 3d) vs armors (oddly 3d & smooth with weak/ornate outlines) all have somewhat different aesthetics that don't look all that coherent when compared to each other. Like they're from different games or by different artists using slightly different techniques and were just mashed together. I'm not talking about explicitly compared to old versions. Certain things like crown, breast plate, and field plate really stand out as not fitting in with the other inventory graphics. Some potions do too unless they revised them. & to be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with any individual type of inventory item. It's just all of them being in the same inventory lacks a certain harmony.

This is kinda nitpicky given I don't care how good/bad pressing i looks. It is something I've noticed with a few remasters, not just d2's, that icons or inventory stuff clashes in a way that the original didn't.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 23, 2021

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

To me, the part that has aged the most/worst is the movement. Only being able to move in 8 directions is really jarring after playing modern games for so long, but there's not much that can be done about that without essentially rewriting (and potentially rebalancing) the game.
Well they did whatever they had to because on a gamepad the movement is smooth like you would expect a game to be. There is a very noticeable freeze in the game when you switch input methods so there is something going on deeper than the usual kbm/pad swap.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Khorne posted:

None of the gems really bother me. I even like the pre-feedback flawless ruby better than the final one.

Potions vs gems vs charms (nailed the aesthetic here) vs tomes (super 3d) vs armors (oddly 3d & smooth with weak/ornate outlines) all have somewhat different aesthetics that don't look all that coherent when compared to each other. Like they're from different games or by different artists using slightly different techniques and were just mashed together. I'm not talking about explicitly compared to old versions. Certain things like crown, breast plate, and field plate really stand out as not fitting in with the other inventory graphics. Some potions do too unless they revised them. & to be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with any individual type of inventory item. It's just all of them being in the same inventory lacks a certain harmony.

This is kinda nitpicky given I don't care how good/bad pressing i looks. It is something I've noticed with a few remasters, not just d2's, that icons or inventory stuff clashes in a way that the original didn't.

Ah yeah I see what you mean. That's a fair point.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Qmass posted:

Well they did whatever they had to because on a gamepad the movement is smooth like you would expect a game to be. There is a very noticeable freeze in the game when you switch input methods so there is something going on deeper than the usual kbm/pad swap.

playing on a gamepad (even on pc) is such a dramatically better experience, it's mind-boggling. i dare anyone to play paladin on a gamepad, then try to go back to kbam.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

the inventory is so bad on gamepad that I gave up and stuck with mouse... :(

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Really hoping for someone to find a way to play MnK but with that controller hotbar ala d3. Also game is live at 1 EST right?

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Really hoping for someone to find a way to play MnK but with that controller hotbar ala d3. Also game is live at 1 EST right?

I hate to ruin your day, but it's not out until next month on the 23rd.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Nephrite posted:

I hate to ruin your day, but it's not out until next month on the 23rd.

Omg no i am such a fool, fuuuuuuuuuuck

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Is there a "fun" Wizard build for this season? I've got the pieces for the Firebird build (though I'm using a 2h Ethereal while trying to get the other two Wizard ones) and I can clear GR90's fairly easily, but it's a slog. I'm going to try to get the pieces for the LoD Twister build in the hope that it's a bit more fun, but right now Wizard is turning into my brick wall in this Ethereal hunt.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Is there a "fun" Wizard build for this season? I've got the pieces for the Firebird build (though I'm using a 2h Ethereal while trying to get the other two Wizard ones) and I can clear GR90's fairly easily, but it's a slog. I'm going to try to get the pieces for the LoD Twister build in the hope that it's a bit more fun, but right now Wizard is turning into my brick wall in this Ethereal hunt.

I hear hydra spec is fun, but that it's got a relatively low cap in comparison. Might be worth playing if firebird hurts your wrist from holding down the right click too hard like mine.

I *just* got my firebird wizardspike this morning.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Firebird when done properly should be vroom vroom, shouldn’t feel like a slog unless there’s something not working in your build.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Is there some kind of sweet spot GR levels for trying to farm ethereal I don't know about? I am back after a long break and started the season with a GoD DH that was a breeze to level, super fun, and I'd had multiple copies of all 3 ethereal drop well before paragon 300 or so, then I moved over to an Innas monk and haven't had a single one drop so far and just dinged paragon 700. Is that just terrible luck or is there something I'm missing as far as successive characters go?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
it's all luck, run the highest gr you can farm in like 2-3 minutes up to level 90 since drops don't increase any further past there

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Swilo posted:

it's all luck, run the highest gr you can farm in like 2-3 minutes up to level 90 since drops don't increase any further past there

Thanks, I thought so and my Inna's was able to do 90s in the 3-4 minute range once it came online so that's what I've been doing, but I can't for the life of me get a Squirt's or a monk eth to drop but keep seeing dozens of copies of a few other legs and wasn't sure if maybe the loot tables had GR difficulty brackets or some other arcane trick I know nothing about.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Firebird when done properly should be vroom vroom, shouldn’t feel like a slog unless there’s something not working in your build.

What's the skill cycle on it? Maxroll isn't consistent on having that on each build, and right now "keep mirror images up as much as possible, channel Disintegrate, and be disappointed by Explosive Blast and proc the Disintegrate damage with Spectral Blades" is really stutter-stop and slow right now. I probably should just be teleporting like a maniac and only going for elites and pylons, shouldn't I.

Beluga Snail posted:

Thanks, I thought so and my Inna's was able to do 90s in the 3-4 minute range once it came online so that's what I've been doing, but I can't for the life of me get a Squirt's or a monk eth to drop but keep seeing dozens of copies of a few other legs and wasn't sure if maybe the loot tables had GR difficulty brackets or some other arcane trick I know nothing about.

It took me a while to get my last two Witch Doctor Ethereals - sometimes the drops just stink.

99 CENTS AMIGO fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 23, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah you shouldn't be walking at all while channeling FB unless it's to activate a pylon or something. Keep Disintegrate held down at all times, hold down the EB key or numlock it, teleport directly on top of the thing you want to kill and unleash your lil wizzies at point blank range. If you're using F/R then tap them once with Spectral Blade first, if using Black Hole then just scoop up the elites whenever it's off cooldown before going back to channeling.

Mirror Image is what does 99.9% of your actual damage with this build. You're keeping Spectral Blades on your bar just so that they use that particular rune and to occasionally proc F/R, if you're wearing that set.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Qmass posted:

the inventory is so bad on gamepad that I gave up and stuck with mouse... :(

I really hope they add some massive QOL changes between now and release. There's next to no chance of that happening in just a month but I really loved the feel of playing this with a gamepad - right up until I had to do anything with my inventory.

Are there any other ARPGs you can play with a controller that play at about the same speed as D2?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Are there any other ARPGs you can play with a controller that play at about the same speed as D2?

Torchlight 2 is on Switch, I don't know about other consoles.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Minecraft Dungeons is on all consoles and PC. Also Gamepass, with all the dlc.

It's not bad. It's not great. It does have crossplay with all platforms I think which is neat.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really hope they add some massive QOL changes between now and release. There's next to no chance of that happening in just a month but I really loved the feel of playing this with a gamepad - right up until I had to do anything with my inventory.

Grim Dawn works good with controller and, additionally, Titan Quest anniversary edition now has controller support if you install the public beta.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I ran this until I got bored and switched characters:

https://maxroll.gg/guides/typhon-hydra-wizard-guide

In my experience, your survivability will be spotty as you push GRs until you get your key defensive slots covered but remember to get in there and Spectral Blade while your DoTs are running. A good scenario to be in for this build is for there to be two 5-headed hydras on screen freezing everything, meteors raining down, as many guys as you can suck into a black hole right in the middle of it, and you Spectral Blading the whole ball of monsters like four times a second.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I built a zuni dart WD for my last 70 of the season and boy maxroll.gg wasn't lying when they said SQUISHY. It's so loving murderous though--even without ancients or eths I was mowing down poo poo, especially when the additional fetishes started spawning in. I guess the idea is to immediately piranha and kill anything that even shows up at the edge of the screen before they even have a chance to start hurting me.

Hopefully I'll get a workable eth for it soon.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I built a zuni dart WD for my last 70 of the season and boy maxroll.gg wasn't lying when they said SQUISHY. It's so loving murderous though--even without ancients or eths I was mowing down poo poo, especially when the additional fetishes started spawning in. I guess the idea is to immediately piranha and kill anything that even shows up at the edge of the screen before they even have a chance to start hurting me.

Hopefully I'll get a workable eth for it soon.

I kind of liked using the Locus Swarm version (mostly because my best WD ethereal had that one Hive off hand as it’s passive), did that with the Damage Reduction rune and it did help with squishyness a bit.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I kind of liked using the Locus Swarm version (mostly because my best WD ethereal had that one Hive off hand as it’s passive), did that with the Damage Reduction rune and it did help with squishyness a bit.

Locust swarm + fetishes was probably my ... 2nd season character ever? I loved that hodgepodge build.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm using a Firebird build on a new wizard, using the guide here: https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/firebird-flame-blades-wizard-mirror-images-pushing-variant-build

I have all the core pieces, for the most part. However I'm not super impressed with the damage from my mirror image pets. The guide says they do "devastating" damage, but for me they're only casting spectral blades and hitting for a few hundred thousand each time. Am I missing something?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah they should be doing hundreds of millions if not trillions.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

bamhand posted:

Yeah they should be doing hundreds of millions if not trillions.

I'm completely at a loss then. I've checked the guide vs. my skills and equipment and they are both the same. I don't have the compass rose/traveler's pledge combo yet, but that can't account for the fact that my mirror image duplicates are doing such a tiny amount of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are you setting people on fire first? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause such a large difference in damage. Or if your 6 piece isn't active.