Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

First time I've seen him mention masks in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
weird how this happens

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1429486488304115714

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Just the dumbest loving people in charge

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i wonder if there is some hypothetical number that would cause them to actually do something

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

had to check the date

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Zokari posted:

i wonder if there is some hypothetical number that would cause them to actually do something

No.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Zokari posted:

Only The Number exists

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zokari posted:

I woulda thought that overflowing hospitals would have done it but Florida and Texas have proven that to be false.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

:lol: that we may have done both the "spanish" flu and the "chinese" coronavirus

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Rauros posted:

this happened with the bleach drinking last year, but it's vexing that people think they can prevent covid by taking whatever poison one time and be good. looks like ivermectin has a half-life of 18 hours.

if people are serious about preventing covid, they would have to take the poison repeatedly.

they get told on facebook to "take it every other day" but that will quickly become "every day" until they build up a critical dose and have a conniption

oh well

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

At this point it's basically the hospital industrial complex vs the shithead GOP locals, so it's a classic Alien vs Predator scenario.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Zokari posted:

No

They already learned that Doing Something hurts (them) a lot more than Doing Nothing. No one ever needs to do anything again.

It's unclear to me how this will play with how hospital systems literally teetering on the edge of collapse, but I doubt that'll matter much. I'm guessing we just get to learn to live with an even less functional US healthcare system from here on out?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

consultants tend to be the most effective use of money! This pandemic is bad if the free market can’t solve it no one can oh well open ‘er up!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1429609544783597571?s=19

I feel like these numbers aren't going to drop until the general attitude changes. The way that health communication has gone I think that's still a fair way off.

NSW really screwed the rest of the country imo.

I would argue that the lack of financial support this go round is driving a lot of the infections. Western Sydney where the bulk of the infections are happenin is working class, diverse with lots of immigrants etc and generally poorer. NSW Health have said that the majority of infections are happening in workplaces and in households, we also know that people are infectious before they show symptoms, so you can see the perfect storm driving the spread here. People going to work, catching it and spreading to their household who may also be going to work etc. A lot of people are actual essential workers too like hospital staff supermarket delivery staff etc, not the bullshit made up 'essential' workers.
There are payments available but they're harder to get and from different sources and I don't think the Feds are offering much support this time either as they clearly want all lockdowns to end.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

every health care worker should just quit

theyre just treating you as disposable cogs to solve this thing for them

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think I convinced my brother not to take a train from NYC through a hurricane during a pandemic to visit us the week school opens in my town.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Love how even in this thread full of supposed leftists white people still just make up insane Lord of the Rings level fantasy like "vaccinate everyone at gunpoint" and then add "like China" to the end, like China wasn't a place that actually exists and where people live.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

wow the china daily political cartoons were right

https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1429617754571608068?s=20

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

Love how even in this thread full of supposed leftists white people still just make up insane Lord of the Rings level fantasy like "vaccinate everyone at gunpoint" and then add "like China" to the end, like China wasn't a place that actually exists and where people live.

this thread is like 20 mentally ill people shouting at each other about numbers and respirator specifications

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Joementum posted:

I think I convinced my brother not to take a train from NYC through a hurricane during a pandemic to visit us the week school opens in my town.

absolutely not without some friends along! trains are dangerous and boring so it’s smart to travel with people. especially if you haven’t seen them in while it’ll be a good chance to catch up.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

college kids here are partying just like it was 2019 lol

at this point can you blame them? covid is never going to end and their lives are just going to get obviously worse from here on out so

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

KaptainKrunk posted:

at this point can you blame them? covid is never going to end and their lives are just going to get obviously worse from here on out so

right? like, imagine being 19 and watching everyone who is supposed to be responsible and leading the charge give up. I wouldn’t give a poo poo either tbh

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How much higher are breakthroughs with delta that it changed anyone's calculations? Serious breakthrough cases are still really rare.

We don't know because the CDC's blanket policy has been willful ignorance to the extent that we have no idea what risks are associated with Open Biden. People looking into Long COVID can't even adequately do so because between all of the unreported home-tests and the general recommendation that the vaccinated public not worry about COVID at all, we simply have no idea how common asymptomatic or even "mild" COVID is in vaccinated people outside of some late-comer studies. If we don't know how common any breakthrough is, it makes figuring out risks to the vaccinated incredibly difficult.

We had the Chicago Department of Health come out and say that a 4-day concert with up to 100,000 in attendance each day only had 203 confirmed cases as a statement of absolute fact, and in turn being used to justify other high risk events. Anyone who cares to look at that number critically can instantly tell you it's bullshit. My last post I talked about the anti-vax crowd and their cognitive dissonance but it's not something exclusive to them, the Back To Normal vaccinated folks are just as bad. They want everything back to normal, now, and they're going to work backwards from that conclusion. There's no interest in critically examining vaccines from the brunch crowd and if you so much as bring up a question about it you'll be met with "You're undermining the vaccination effort!" or whatever the gently caress you call Nate Silver's twitter feed.

Yes, serious breakthroughs are rare, and absolutely everyone (with very few legitimate exceptions) should be vaccinated simply to spare the healthcare systems around the country from collapsing. That's the only thing we know, though, because the CDC decided to only track serious breakthroughs. And I keep having to tell people that "serious" in this case means hospitalized or dead. We're absolutely not counting the people who get laid up for a week at home, lose their sense of smell for weeks or months, and have brain fog coming out the other side - that person was being told explicitly not to test between May and July and the CDC doesn't want to count them as a "breakthrough".

But the main thing that has changed with all of this is that it doesn't take a serious breakthrough to become a transmission vector with Delta, you can be entirely asymptomatic and still spreading like a champ. This is problematic in a country where nearly half of the entire population is unvaccinated, and tens of millions aren't even eligible for vaccination while being sent into rooms for 6+ hours a day, 5 days a week with 20-30 of their peers.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Throatwarbler posted:

That's ridiculous, I support the disguise vaccine as horse drugs idea

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

:sickos:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Zokari posted:

yeah it’s called the number they care about going down and they inject cash into corporations

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Thoguh posted:

It's just amazing to me how completely over COVID is for most people at the same time that hospitals fill up and we enter a huge wave.

Afghanistan fell to the Taliban a million years ago last week. People don't really seem to be able to digest the firehose of news and current events that blasts them every day.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

No

They already learned that Doing Something hurts (them) a lot more than Doing Nothing. No one ever needs to do anything again.

It's unclear to me how this will play with how hospital systems literally teetering on the edge of collapse, but I doubt that'll matter much. I'm guessing we just get to learn to live with an even less functional US healthcare system from here on out?

that’s why they never once talked about making sure people have healthcare, just “access” to healthcare

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lmao

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I lied and said I was sick so my family that was in town for a superspreader event wouldnt come by and make me/my wife/my unvaxx'd two year old sick

I felt bad for a couple minutes

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Helith posted:

I would argue that the lack of financial support this go round is driving a lot of the infections. Western Sydney where the bulk of the infections are happenin is working class, diverse with lots of immigrants etc and generally poorer. NSW Health have said that the majority of infections are happening in workplaces and in households, we also know that people are infectious before they show symptoms, so you can see the perfect storm driving the spread here. People going to work, catching it and spreading to their household who may also be going to work etc. A lot of people are actual essential workers too like hospital staff supermarket delivery staff etc, not the bullshit made up 'essential' workers.
There are payments available but they're harder to get and from different sources and I don't think the Feds are offering much support this time either as they clearly want all lockdowns to end.

ah, yeah, i forgot about that. you're absolutely right.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Woa. Looks like something happened :hmmrona:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Forseti posted:

That's ridiculous, I support the disguise vaccine as horse drugs idea

yeah lying to people went great when the cdc tried it, then kept trying it, surely this time will be different

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

:killing:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Substandard posted:

They should make "special" COVID vaccines "for livestock", stock them at tractor supply, and then strongly warn people against taking them.

they paid those rear end in a top hat consultants a zillion dollars and theyd never come up with this

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

stump collector posted:

I lied and said I was sick so my family that was in town for a superspreader event wouldnt come by and make me/my wife/my unvaxx'd two year old sick

I felt bad for a couple minutes

What the hell is wrong with you

You shouldn’t even feel bad for one second

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

It is time.
*taps red text*

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zokari posted:

yes it's called the s&p 500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Substandard posted:

I grew up a huge Jenny McCarthy fan because she was both a playboy playmate of the year and the host of MTV's singled out while I was a teen.

Never once did I think "here is a woman who should be giving people medical advice".

Surely at this point it's a covid 2-liter