Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I somehow managed to avoid ever playing this despite trying pretty much every other MMO out there over the past decade and a half, and it's actually pretty cool! The voice acting is really good, the game seems decently written, and (I just got to the first actual zone, the New England zombie town) the atmosphere is suitably creepy. There aren't many other players around though - I ran into a few at Agartha and a couple questing in this zone, but the overall impression is that the game isn't exactly bustling with life. Is there any mandatory group content at any point where this could cause a problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Bardeh posted:

There aren't many other players around though - I ran into a few at Agartha and a couple questing in this zone, but the overall impression is that the game isn't exactly bustling with life. Is there any mandatory group content at any point where this could cause a problem?

Besides Agartha, there's a fairly low cap on the number of players who can be in the same instance of a zone at one time. There's no required group content at all to get through the story and many of the main mission instances can only be done solo. The dungeons do flesh out the lore of the game, but aren't required; they can generally be done solo in story mode if you're sufficiently over-powered.

This game really should have been released as a single-player game instead of a MMO.

Bardeh posted:

the game seems decently written

Stop playing once you complete Tokyo, if you want to retain this impression. It's the end of the first story arc. After the game went into maintenance mode, they released the start of the second arc and it is... not good.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Bardeh posted:

I somehow managed to avoid ever playing this despite trying pretty much every other MMO out there over the past decade and a half, and it's actually pretty cool! The voice acting is really good, the game seems decently written, and (I just got to the first actual zone, the New England zombie town) the atmosphere is suitably creepy. There aren't many other players around though - I ran into a few at Agartha and a couple questing in this zone, but the overall impression is that the game isn't exactly bustling with life. Is there any mandatory group content at any point where this could cause a problem?

Like others have said, I think they keep the cap per instance low to keep things spooky.

The dungeons are really cool and I strongly recommend doing them, but yeah they're not strictly necessary.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I originally joined TSW during the mayan zombie event (the one they hosed up so much they gave out some of the rewards to everyone afterwards IIRC? or just didn't fix the exploits that everyone and their dogs used because they released it completely broken the day before they hosed off to a week or two of holidays), and the absolute ton of people in the streets and out in the field fighting zombies was pretty cool TBH.

When it was way, way more people taking down golems for 20 minutes every hour, that was not quite as cool though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The thing about that event that always bugged me was that they put the Wayeb-Xul reskin in Transylvania when trailers and the back of the box showed him flying around the amusement park

IT WAS RIGHT THERE AND THEY DIDNT DO IT

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

There is that 1 mob in the water of the first map that will own your butt. So always nice when some calls out to go kill it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

All right so I literally just did the intro to Tokyo and set foot in the zone proper on the classic server.

I am so loving mad that this game doesn't get more support. Literally just like the first ten minutes or so of Tokyo and I loving love it. TSW would easily be my favorite MMO beyond all others if it just got support. :negative:

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 23, 2021

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yeah Funcom hosed up, despite a cohort of rabid fans of the game like me they somehow ruined their own financials. One theory is that they pushed grandmaster package from TSW so hard that everybody who care about the game bought it and than there is no more income since grandmaster includes all new content forever. Than they restarted with SWL and hosed up again because aurum is objectively too expensive compared to other games, so yeah.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Funcom is the past master of making a basically good game and then loving it up with mediocre support during its life. (See also: Anarchy Online.)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Sekenr posted:

One theory is
It launched with the classic mmo "pay for the game and a monthly subscription" model in 2012, which was years past the point where it was obvious to even the most casual observer that wow was the only game that could still get away with that :v:

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

Kalman posted:

(See also: Anarchy Online.)

At least TSW didn't wipe your HDD if you tried to uninstall?

edit: Hah, it's been so long since I've posted I forgot this was my avatar. Best episode.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Kalman posted:

Funcom is the past master of making a basically good game and then loving it up with mediocre support during its life. (See also: Anarchy Online.)

Some of this is due to their extreme crunch dev cycle. They’ve done it with multiple games where they overwork the devs around launch time and then devs have to take significant time off after so nothing really gets done.

As I’ve said earlier in the thread, TSW didn’t ever seek to have enough devs to begin with so limited devs + crunch time + time off = slow or complete lack of meaningful updates. This was the case with the Conan launch too

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007

Cythereal posted:

* Can aurum be earned in-game at all?

You earn 20 or so aurum per day in game if you do daily challenge. Use in game exchange (H key I think) to swap your Marks into Aurum.
Sprints V and VI go on 50% sale sometimes, most recently during anniversary event.
Blood has new-ish mechanic added to it, called tainted blood which is separate from corruption. It will kill you on long fights, like dungeon bosses. Clear stacks of it using Reap. AR doesn't make for a good offhand weapon typically, consider elementalism and living flame, the only permanent pet in game.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Shotgun/elemental has been working pretty good for me.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Secret World classic has been a solid "ok".
What is the install footprint on Secret World Legends?
What anima powers are tweaked/nerfed in comparison from how they worked in TSW classic?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

They completely reworked the powers and weapons. There is no longer a wheel, and builds a straightforward but less customizable. The updside is that you now only need 6 buttons for abilities instead of 10 so finger agility requirements are less ridiculous.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

"Less customizable" doesn't mean much, though. The majority of deck options in old TSW were just different flavors of hot garbage.

It just occurred to me that both versions have about the same number of actives and gameplay-changing passives (as opposed the ones that just give stat increases) for each weapon. Just TSW also had the trinity role trees and the aux weapons.

e: wait, now I'm thinking I'm misremembering. In TSW, each weapon had a basic line and two advanced lines and each line had 5 actives and 5 passives, right?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 30, 2021

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Hello Sailor posted:

"Less customizable" doesn't mean much, though. The majority of deck options in old TSW were just different flavors of hot garbage.

It just occurred to me that both versions have about the same number of actives and gameplay-changing passives (as opposed the ones that just give stat increases) for each weapon. Just TSW also had the trinity role trees and the aux weapons.

e: wait, now I'm thinking I'm misremembering. In TSW, each weapon had a basic line and two advanced lines and each line had 5 actives and 5 passives, right?

2 basics and 6 advanced lines. 7 abilities in each line with a mix of actives and passes.

There was indeed a lot of garbage but there were some fun things as well. The main issue with the SWL lines is they might as well not exist, especially the passives. So while there wasn’t a ton of choice and variety in the original once you’d figured it out, there was at least the possibility of variety. SWL just sucked all that out.

Edit: Honestly the crap in the wheel was due to the rushed nature of the last few months of dev. Some of the lines weren’t introduced until the last few months of beta and some lines hadn’t been balanced in 6+ months. Just another example of big ideas, not enough developers.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 31, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The best TSW moves were in order

black hole
Eruption
That hammer move that makes you big

Black hole was great because it's visual effect was based on the size of the model. Cast it on a golem in a golem event? Big circle

Eruption because you could launch anything* into the air. Fuckin nerd golem

Hammer move get big because it was fun to just get big

*As long as they weren't on an incline. The column didn't go up or down slopes just straight

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007
Eruption still exist and tosses things into the air - most of the time. Seems like getting hammer to actually hit things is a bit of a challenge. Hammer, generally, is a top damage weapon in SWL.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I mained Hammer/Chaos through both TSW & SWL. It was a super durable combo that I tanked most of the dungeons with. My favorite memory was constantly aggroing Jack during the Samhain event just for the thrill of having him chase after *me*. Tanks get off on poo poo like that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mechanically I hate this dungeon

But man is this lore great

https://wiki.crygaia.org/view/Lore:The_Facility

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I like the Facility tbh, Halina Ilyushin has the best voice lines and I like that stupid loving laser computer

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Bomberman boss used moves that were communist jokes and I don't remember them

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I'm pretty sure the ability the second boss in darkness war uses to sacrifice adds was called "blood for the blood dog" originally :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The cat god casts "godspeed you cat Emperor"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I love that kind of poo poo and I remember Blood For The Blood Dog

There are also mobs called Cannibal Corpse and Ancient Mariner (which I still insist is a reference to the Iron Maiden song "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

FrostyPox posted:

"Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

You know that's also the title of a famous poem from the late 1700s, right?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
Pretty sure parts of it are read out on a radio in London too.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hello Sailor posted:

....You're right. My brain immediately went to Cannibal Corpse -> Other Metal Band :negative:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

FrostyPox posted:

....You're right. My brain immediately went to Cannibal Corpse -> Other Metal Band :negative:
I once saw an argument break out online over whether the phrase "Hallowed be thy Name" was a reference to the Lord's Prayer or the Iron Maiden song :v:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

I once saw an argument break out online over whether the phrase "Hallowed be thy Name" was a reference to the Lord's Prayer or the Iron Maiden song :v:

lmao

I mean, at least I figured out pretty quickly where I hosed up, but that's.... something

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I liked the Facility quite a bit, and it's lore was awesome.

Hello Sailor posted:

It could go either way, but it's probably referential of both. As we all know, the devs used a ton of antiquated stuff for inspiration, but the song is off of one of Maiden's biggest albums.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Welp. Tried to get back into this game after a break, hit a quest boss to kill a 'Flamesbreath Rakshasa' and was doing well until I just dropped dead for no reason that I could tell (and no, it wasn't corruption getting me this time). Tried to corpse run, and my body's behind a door that doesn't open while I'm dead.

My feeling that I might be missing something during my break from this game has diminished.

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007
Blood has a new mechanic called "Tainted Blood" It is not same as Corruption, it only applies when you do damage with blood. You need to clear tainted blood by using "Reap" ability believe if that is what happened. You can regain your body by clicking on the roots of well while in anima form.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I was using Reap, regularly. That wasn't what killed me.

I know I can respawn by clicking the well. The well was almost a ten minute hike from where I died and I didn't know that the door wouldn't open for me or let me pass if I was dead.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finally reached Tokyo in TSW classic. uh, AEGIS. yeah. nope.
Anyway the hardest mission for me in TSW classic is tier 4 of From Carthage to Cairo, have never been able been able to beat it. Around the sixth or seventh wave of enemies I always get overwhelmed.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

quantumfoam posted:

Finally reached Tokyo in TSW classic. uh, AEGIS. yeah. nope.
Anyway the hardest mission for me in TSW classic is tier 4 of From Carthage to Cairo, have never been able been able to beat it. Around the sixth or seventh wave of enemies I always get overwhelmed.

https://legacy.tswdb.com/builds/beginner-solo/chaosshotgun-on-a-pale-horse-50-ap-build
https://legacy.tswdb.com/builds/solo/chaosshotgun-on-a-pale-horse-hardened-edition

You don't have to go chaos/shotgun, any weapon combo with decent AoE and single-target options with the passive combo of Bloodsport + Gross Anatomy will work.

https://www.curseforge.com/tsw/tsw-mods/autoselect-aegis

Once you get your AEGIS skills to about 4 or so, enemy shields cease to become a problem if you're using the auto-switch mod.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 21, 2021

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Cool thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hey, how dead is this game? I never finished Transylvania.