Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

really, really unsure about how bad things are going to get in the next couple of weeks

but the willingly marching our school aged childrens to intentional exposure to a potentially lethal virus is giving poll plane the ol' crack ping

COVID ain't going away. They need to get immunity somehow.
https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1428769831264866312?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i clicked on these tweets and now i have supercovid

i demand reparations

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm just breaking my brain looking at people who believe the state intervening to protect public health is neoliberalism.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My wife is 30 hours out from her third Pfizer shot and she's completely wiped out, compared to having no reaction at all to her first two beyond a sore arm. She woke up this morning, called off work, and has been in bed all day.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

More like Clowne Plaza lol

LMAO

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/BryanDeanWright/status/1429883837065175040?s=20
https://twitter.com/RealDrGina/status/1429849065962053636?s=20

have parents held COVID parties yet for their kids to get infected

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

My wife is 30 hours out from her third Pfizer shot and she's completely wiped out, compared to having no reaction at all to her first two beyond a sore arm. She woke up this morning, called off work, and has been in bed all day.

:blessed:

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Lol for a stretch of like 6 months up until a week ago the whole country was sucking and loving without a care in the world. Going on holidays, eating at cafes, bars etc. No masks or other poo poo because we had literally wiped out all community cases of Covid here. A few weeks of lockdown every few months is absolutely worth it for the in-between months where you can actually live like normal again. I'd much prefer that to the constant state of fear but trying to pretend things are cool and good like you have in the UK and USA.

Also yeah FFS the Crown plaza 'quarantine' hotel in the CBD has been a loving disaster from day 1, I honestly feel like the only reason they keep insisting on using it is because they've signed some kind of deal with the owners that they can't back out of. I think a lot of what is currently considered adequate protection was from back in the days where they were convinced that transmission was only through newtonian physics following droplets and surface contact, now that it's pretty loving clear that aerosols are a thing they need to do a top to bottom review of the whole system.

Just treat Covid like a gas, if a gas could breach your barrier then it isn't going to work.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
The Chinese lockdown was like 76 days and they completely eliminated COVID for about a year. Meanwhile we're sitting here crying about our freedoms while thousands of people die every day 18 months later. :d2a:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Treat gas like Covid, if there's a leak bust that bitch open and invite friends over to inhale it's freedom fumes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
its easier to imagine the end of the american state than an end to covid

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Blackhawk posted:

Lol for a stretch of like 6 months up until a week ago the whole country was sucking and loving without a care in the world. Going on holidays, eating at cafes, bars etc. No masks or other poo poo because we had literally wiped out all community cases of Covid here. A few weeks of lockdown every few months is absolutely worth it for the in-between months where you can actually live like normal again. I'd much prefer that to the constant state of fear but trying to pretend things are cool and good like you have in the UK and USA.

Also yeah FFS the Crown plaza 'quarantine' hotel in the CBD has been a loving disaster from day 1, I honestly feel like the only reason they keep insisting on using it is because they've signed some kind of deal with the owners that they can't back out of. I think a lot of what is currently considered adequate protection was from back in the days where they were convinced that transmission was only through newtonian physics following droplets and surface contact, now that it's pretty loving clear that aerosols are a thing they need to do a top to bottom review of the whole system.

Just treat Covid like a gas, if a gas could breach your barrier then it isn't going to work.

wait a second. Covid is airborne???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'd prefer not to get covid and or delay it for as long as possible, you loving dumbass

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

that's awesome - sounds like she'll have some good antibodies going

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

anti-vaxxers in toronto have taken to screaming/spitting at patio patrons for attention

https://twitter.com/BarryJenkins/status/1429503495686660100

now the mayor has sent a strongly worded letter to the police to maybe do something besides taking selfies with anti-vaxxers and telling the patrons to ignore them

https://twitter.com/JohnTory/status/1429867537815252992

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Substandard posted:

The Chinese lockdown was like 76 days and they completely eliminated COVID for about a year. Meanwhile we're sitting here crying about our freedoms while thousands of people die every day 18 months later. :d2a:

actually no one has died and it’s all just lies

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Arkage posted:

gently caress religious exemptions.

for anything

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

wait a second. Covid is airborne???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

At least daily, clean all high-touch surfaces that are frequently touched by multiple people, such as door handles, desks, light switches, faucets, toilets, workstations, keyboards, telephones, handrails, printer/copiers, and drinking fountains. More frequent cleaning may be required as needed.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

"better things aren't possible" meanwhile china is just truckin' along. gg everyone, was a nice empire while it lasted

"better things aren't possible" while obvious counter-examples exist elsewhere has been the neoliberal take for literally everything from electoral process to healthcare to social services to tax structure to building codes to labor law to

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fireside Nut posted:

that's awesome - sounds like she'll have some good antibodies going

I didn't have poo poo besides a sore arm and feeling a little run down for an evening after both mine. lol

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man posted:

"better things aren't possible" while obvious counter-examples exist elsewhere has been the neoliberal take for literally everything from electoral process to healthcare to social services to tax structure to building codes to labor law to

the most ridiculous take that i see frequently is "that will never work in america, we have minorities"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

death crew as gently caress

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

its easier to imagine the end of the american state than an end to covid

yeah. it's gonna take a while though, and it's gonna fuckin suck

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 372 days!
https://twitter.com/MerylKornfield/status/1429904535187828736?s=19

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Biowarfare posted:

the most ridiculous take that i see frequently is "that will never work in america, we have minorities"

Well yeah, America has all these ethnic and religious minorities that don't get along with each other or trust the state while China-

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The US deployed armed forces in basically every major city last year because Black people asked not to get shot by police. They set up checkpoints and shut down public transit. Thousands were arrested and brutalized.

For the lockdown against a novel virus a few businesses got fined and school was moved online. But this response is the threat to individual liberty.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Are some places not reporting numbers on weekends to keep their averages low

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Google Butt posted:

I'd prefer not to get covid and or delay it for as long as possible, you loving dumbass

Yeah not mention each time you get infected you get to play long covid roulette or in cases end up hospitalized.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

The second day of my back to school PD is going to be a potluck *CRACK*

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Hound posted:

Are some places not reporting numbers on weekends to keep their averages low

It just makes a big spike on Monday so the average ends up the same

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Biowarfare posted:

"That will never work in America, we're too big."

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

yeah. it's gonna take a while though, and it's gonna fuckin suck

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Just got the call. Cousin (once removed) is dead. Has been in and out of ICU, in and out of a coma, was on a respirator then off, now dead.

As mentioned before, this was not a close family member by any means, at best we'd have 3 minutes of small talk at Christmas so I'm not torn up about it or anything. Mostly sad for his family and especially his 90 something y/o mom (my great aunt).

But hey, one freed up bed in the hospital!

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
excerpts from nursing reddit

The only good thing about delta is people seem to not hang out as long. The admission to dying process seems to take about a week now. The other waves we had patients hanging out for a month on 100 percent bipap. The floors were taking patients up to 15 liters. This is going to be

I feel like 90% of this my hospital. I’m leaving in 3 weeks from the ICU. So many people have left I really starting to wonder if they will have to close, no exaggeration. Almost no techs left, some floors are at 25% of normal nurse staff. RT is leaving in droves. Even nutrition is down to skeleton staff, the food comes in styrofoam clamshells and looks inedible. So bad I was happy my folks were vented so I didn’t have to give them that food.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

etalian posted:

Yeah not mention each time you get infected you get to play long covid roulette or in cases end up hospitalized.

From talking to my friend group I think people have gotten the idea from the utterly botched CDC communications that "95% effective in preventing hospitalization" means that only 5% of vaccinated people will ever get seriously ill from covid no matter how many times they're exposed, how far in the future, or what variant. Rather than it being more like we observed that people wearing a bulletproof vest were only injured 5% as often by a pistol shot to the chest compared to people wearing nothing, meanwhile they're wheeling out the 40mm Oerlikon in the background

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I have long covid and it sucks. Have to see a doctor twice a month because of it.

Disowned my family because I took the jab and they think I'm over reacting. Yet my lungs are hosed and ill be lucky to live past 50.

It owns. Lol. Lmao.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

have parents held COVID parties yet for their kids to get infected

school

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/McConaughey/status/1429218537000751104?s=20

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Nothing is real anymore. Especially COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Koirhor posted:

excerpts from nursing reddit

The only good thing about delta is people seem to not hang out as long. The admission to dying process seems to take about a week now. The other waves we had patients hanging out for a month on 100 percent bipap. The floors were taking patients up to 15 liters. This is going to be

I feel like 90% of this my hospital. I’m leaving in 3 weeks from the ICU. So many people have left I really starting to wonder if they will have to close, no exaggeration. Almost no techs left, some floors are at 25% of normal nurse staff. RT is leaving in droves. Even nutrition is down to skeleton staff, the food comes in styrofoam clamshells and looks inedible. So bad I was happy my folks were vented so I didn’t have to give them that food.

I'm pretty sure the quicker deaths was because some of newer study founds Delta also spreads much faster throughout the lungs than previous strains.

For the original strain is was a longer drawn out affair with the slow deaths/decline taking 2 to 3 weeks.