Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Durf posted:

anti-vaxxers in toronto have taken to screaming/spitting at patio patrons for attention

https://twitter.com/BarryJenkins/status/1429503495686660100

now the mayor has sent a strongly worded letter to the police to maybe do something besides taking selfies with anti-vaxxers and telling the patrons to ignore them

https://twitter.com/JohnTory/status/1429867537815252992
lol barely any masks on anyone

edit storytime snipe
went and did a running race event yesterday
starting line and finishing line packed with hundreds
all huffin and puffin, no masks or lovely bandanas only to be seen
also lol at the mass amounts of babies & toddlers within the crowd
i really asked a lot of my kf94 yesterday
hope i don't die
:theroni:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

so following up from last week on Friday

that corner turn might be real in King county:

guess we will see if it’s still there at the end of the day.

Yeah maybe but I think if we were turning a corner the test positivity graph wouldn't look like this

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Listen our betters, the captains of industry have decided that covid is not killing us quick enough so we must collapse the entire healthcare system in this country to create more opportunities for death.

Malthusian Ecofascism is already here!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Delta-Wye posted:

maybe we should just copy china? has anyone considered that? they seem to be on the ball, maybe we should just, you know, do the same thing. no? well, ok then :smith:

hmm. it would be draconian, genocidal, celestial even…. nah

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

im just a crackin and a pingin

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

etalian posted:

It's pretty telling how in many Chud states, nurses are being offered 12k to 30k signing bonuses to switch jobs.

Like the medical version of type of brutal attrition you saw at Stalingrad or on the West front in WW1.

difference is that people cared about the deaths at verdun. we're at how many verduns now? and it's time to open 'er up

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Jon Irenicus posted:

The second day of my back to school PD is going to be a potluck *CRACK*
lmaooo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Schnorkles posted:

Ah yes, the endemic virus currently scything through our children like a hot knife through butter.

I'm sorry that you think you should stay indoors wearing a respirator all the time, maybe you just don't understand the science.

"Endemic" is an observational description of a disease with an average Re=1 in a given population. It's one of two theoretical possible infinite time solutions to the viral reproduction and population resistance equations. The other being disease extinction (Re<0).

Saying "covid is going to be endemic" right now is equivalent to Trump saying one day it's going to disappear like a miracle. Literally, it's got the exact same level of rigor and data behind it. Pandemic wave after pandemic wave is not endemicity.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Durf posted:

anti-vaxxers in toronto have taken to screaming/spitting at patio patrons for attention

https://twitter.com/BarryJenkins/status/1429503495686660100

now the mayor has sent a strongly worded letter to the police to maybe do something besides taking selfies with anti-vaxxers and telling the patrons to ignore them

https://twitter.com/JohnTory/status/1429867537815252992

why would anti-vaxxers be protesting...open restaurants?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Wondering how "it's just the flu, we're gonna have to live with it forever" is gonna hit when everyone knows someone that died due to covid and huge swaths of the economy literally cannot function because everyone's sick

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Gio posted:

im just a crackin and a pingin
crack pinging day & night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrDfSZ_6f4U

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

Wondering how "it's just the flu, we're gonna have to live with it forever" is gonna hit when everyone knows someone that died due to covid and huge swaths of the economy literally cannot function because everyone's sick

It's endemic, we just have to learn I say in front of a giant screen with a doubling time measured in a single digit number of days

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

slippery doc
Jan 17, 2006

kill the boy,
save the man

recently rewatched this and it's still great, but all of the discourse around the show from the time it aired is now hilarious post-COVID

if Chernobyl happened in the USA we 100% would not avert the worst-case scenario and would currently be reading op-eds about Learning To Live With The Radiation

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I can't imagine the current government of the US being able to handle literally anything. if Japan bombed Pearl Harbor today we'd just give Hawaii up to them immediately

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

The Oldest Man posted:

"Endemic" is an observational description of a disease with an average Re=1 in a given population. It's one of two theoretical possible infinite time solutions to the viral reproduction and population resistance equations. The other being disease extinction (Re<0).

Saying "covid is going to be endemic" right now is equivalent to Trump saying one day it's going to disappear like a miracle. Literally, it's got the exact same level of rigor and data behind it. Pandemic wave after pandemic wave is not endemicity.

I'm sorry maybe you don't understand the science

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

the restaurant, i’d assume, requires proof of vaccination

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

why are you giving me a cake

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Schmoe Cwead posted:

my parents arent vaxxed (unless they did it i secret and didnt tell anyone) but used to be religious about getting flu shots every year but i never bothered with it

when i told them i got vaxxed i said if its just the flu then this is just a flu shot and they didnt say anything

Pro flu vax but anti covid Vax is such a mindfuck.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

well this guy literally has "theocratic fascist" in his description, he's a kook. the rest of the media isn't saying we're all getting COVID are they?

oh wow they are

At this point I wonder if "endemic COVID" is being pitched as a way to isolate China
lol the consent machine has gone burrrrr
we can't do anything, don't look at china, look over here, see we can't do anything but live and die with covid

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

why are you giving me a cake

It's a party, plane.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

Are you a doctor, or your pediatrician called in a scrip for your kids? Or is this like a Dr. Julius Irving situation? It's weird to me a pharmacy would turn you away if you have a scrip in hand. You'd figure their asses are covered if the shot is doctor prescribed.

I'm lmaoing at "is this like a Dr. Julius Irving situation"

:roflolmao:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

slippery doc posted:

recently rewatched this and it's still great, but all of the discourse around the show from the time it aired is now hilarious post-COVID

if Chernobyl happened in the USA we 100% would not avert the worst-case scenario and would currently be reading op-eds about Learning To Live With The Radiation

Thermal explosion destroys the entire eastern seaboard, the president broadcast from Cheyenne Mountain today to let everyone know that we can't point fingers or lock down the economy because of theoretical danger to kids, when kids are only 1% as likely as adults to die of acute radiation poisoning

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

I thought what a mass shooting would look like at the mypillow academy and just pictured feathers floating in the air and made myself laugh

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

i guess they're assuming that everyone there is vaccinated, which makes them enemies of freedom who are normalizing the idea of vaccines and checking for cards at the door

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

The Oldest Man posted:

It's endemic, we just have to learn I say in front of a giant screen with a doubling time measured in a single digit number of days

Not sure if the media push is completely cynical to keep the number goosed for a while or just complete hubris from the ruling class while multiple industries are literally running out of people

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

slippery doc posted:

yeah, as hard as it tries to blame the soviet government for being intractable and inefficient in their response, any capitalist government (let alone a broken one like ours) would have handled it much worse

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

Not sure if the media push is completely cynical to keep the number goosed for a while or just complete hubris from the ruling class while multiple industries are literally running out of people

If you think there's a plan, no matter how cynical the planners would have to be to make that plan, you're not being pessimistic enough.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Oldest Man posted:

please explain Re=

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fireside Nut posted:

Was looking into the ADE stuff a bit more (to torture myself) and found this interesting. It was published back in August 2020. I looked up this doctor and he's basically the person that discovered ADE in Dengue and is considered a leader in tropical diseases and vaccine development:

I assume that's good news overall, although I'm not sure if they were working off of any outdated understandings of anything since the article is pretty old now.

And so, going back to the new article that was posted I am kind of curious about this section in the conclusion:

Are they basically saying, "Yeah this looks like it could be a problem in our modeling, but we haven't actually seen any real world evidence of it." If that's the case I would assume these authors were just clout chasing if this article was a pre-print. But it's been published in the Journal of Infection, which I assume is a good pub. I guess I'm not sure what to think about it.

I mean sometimes you have to publish the poo poo you have, even if it's a bit threadbare.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

T-Paine posted:

yeah, as hard as it tries to blame the soviet government for being intractable and inefficient in their response, any capitalist government (let alone a broken one like ours) would have handled it much worse

yeah the entire conclusion is basically "and this is why its dyaltov's THE GOVERNMENT'S fault. the show doesn't actually establish a systemic disregard for safety despite that being the premise because it all hangs on dyaltov's dumbass decision to continue a obviously ruined test.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Love sitting inside a pharmacy for an extended time waiting for someone to come boost me.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

If there was a plan they'd try to sell it for gains but no one is so there is no plan I think. Just winging it. All these failscions flipping through the playbook and panicking. There's no play for this!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol everyone but China is going to give up

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

can't wait for someone to tell me I just don't understand the science because the NYTimes said brunch is back baby

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Man I really can't wait until we start seeing the numbers coming back down here again, it's very loving cool and good when you can see the conservatives and media over here just desperate to poo poo on lockdowns and go full open biden but know they can't because elimination has so obviously worked that the local population wouldn't believe you, so they just have to keep their mouths shut and seethe. So far the government response to the pandemic has been insanely popular to the point where opposition politicians haven't been able to touch it as a topic for fear of immediate backlash.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Tzen posted:

lol everyone but China is going to give up

the western world found their limit, and it's 18 months of having to live with their own children

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Tzen posted:

lol barely any masks on anyone

edit storytime snipe
went and did a running race event yesterday
starting line and finishing line packed with hundreds
all huffin and puffin, no masks or lovely bandanas only to be seen
also lol at the mass amounts of babies & toddlers within the crowd
i really asked a lot of my kf94 yesterday
hope i don't die
:theroni:

i have been feeling pretty good running lately and thought it would be fun to do another race before winter, and when i was browsing races, i was like, "wait, do you want delta?"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
she's gonna blow up mt rushmore :munch:

https://twitter.com/govkristinoem/status/1429914350408585224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Meanwhile in Deep Blue Chicago
https://twitter.com/JesPup/status/1428744163978264584?s=20