Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The 5 necks of Tiamat are freakishly large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tsilkani posted:

DCC also had the magical afro dice, and when the entire team is white, that's not a great look.

I did mention that as one of the blaxploitation elements, and that's all that it is. DCC dice sets come with a little legend to talk them up as glorious, lucky, and special: my clear with white glitter set is the holy fragments of Farrah that she used to avenge her father and that using them gives me the luck of the gods. The afro dice only stick out to this community because they were presented out of the context of the sets overall with one synopsis on a vendor website. (The legend has a color-related monster entry on the reverse side, it's a nice little perk to go with the set.) It's genuinely not a big deal.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xiahou Dun posted:

The 5 necks of Tiamat are freakishly large.
says Alice

That was for no-one but me

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

I did mention that as one of the blaxploitation elements, and that's all that it is. DCC dice sets come with a little legend to talk them up as glorious, lucky, and special: my clear with white glitter set is the holy fragments of Farrah that she used to avenge her father and that using them gives me the luck of the gods. The afro dice only stick out to this community because they were presented out of the context of the sets overall with one synopsis on a vendor website. (The legend has a color-related monster entry on the reverse side, it's a nice little perk to go with the set.) It's genuinely not a big deal.

None of this makes the "afro dice" sound okay.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Also, you don't get to be the company that published Confederate Apologia In Space: The Game and never once walk that back, and then turn around and sell 'magic afro dice'.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Serf posted:

None of this makes the "afro dice" sound okay.

Honestly, why not? "These dice have lucky elements related to the character they're themed with" and the iconic wizard or whatever has an afro and it's lucky. It's tongue in cheek dice lore like tons of RPG gamers have.

@Tsilkani: that's just terrible RPG Twitter cancel culture bullshit (and i don't use that term lightly but it describes what RPG Twitter is like these days). As we've already discussed, Goodman Games has repeatedly supported Black lives and Black causes including donations. Making an alternative history game twenty years ago is incredibly small potatoes in comparison.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Has anyone run/played Lancer? I picked up the core book in last year’s itch.io bundle and only got around to actually reading it this week since my weekend 5e group was curious. It seems super cool but there are no active roll20 games so I’m not sure if anyone is actually playing

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

change my name posted:

Has anyone run/played Lancer? I picked up the core book in last year’s itch.io bundle and only got around to actually reading it this week since my weekend 5e group was curious. It seems super cool but there are no active roll20 games so I’m not sure if anyone is actually playing

You could try asking in the active Lancer thread on the first page of this vey forum.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

You don't get to write off Broncosaurus Rex as 20 years in the past when they're still selling it on their website with nary a hint of a disclaimer. Even Deadlands has acknowledged they hosed up, and that's like pulling teeth.

And again, a bunch of white dudes don't get to blithely reduce black culture to dice luck.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

change my name posted:

Lancer freaking owns, if you get on the tg discords there are people playing, and the lancer discord is super active.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

change my name posted:

I'm running it on Roll20. It's a drat good game!

COMP/CON is the (literal) killer app for it

There's a whole big Lancer thread here, come check it out!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Toshimo posted:

You could try asking in the active Lancer thread on the first page of this vey forum.

Oops, it fell off to the second page and I missed it, will check it out

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm playing it (and my group's thrown out the setting fluff and turned it into a fantasy game)!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Tsilkani posted:

You don't get to write off Broncosaurus Rex as 20 years in the past when they're still selling it on their website with nary a hint of a disclaimer. Even Deadlands has acknowledged they hosed up, and that's like pulling teeth.

And again, a bunch of white dudes don't get to blithely reduce black culture to dice luck.
They also still sell d20 Colonialist Apologia, aka Etherscope, on their site. And yes I should get back to writing that review because the game is a garbage fire on so many levels and I only got like 20 pages in.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

Honestly, why not? "These dice have lucky elements related to the character they're themed with" and the iconic wizard or whatever has an afro and it's lucky. It's tongue in cheek dice lore like tons of RPG gamers have.

I'm not sure if you're ignoring the racist parts of the "rub these dice on an afro to get luck" concept as a bit or if you just don't know what you're talking about.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

change my name posted:

Oops, it fell off to the second page and I missed it, will check it out

We talk a lot about all game stuff here, so it never hurts to ask here first. Plus you can remind others about fun games and sometimes direct traffic to a thread we forgot about.
The nth iteration of our discussions about how to properly make a pokemon rpg or if d&d style murder hobo games are inherently colonialist can survive a few questions about rpg recommendations interrupting them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Leraika posted:

I'm playing it (and my group's thrown out the setting fluff and turned it into a fantasy game)!

Oh. That reminds me, did that "Lancer Combat, Forged in the Dark for everything else" rpg get published yet? That looked real cool.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Coolness Averted posted:

Oh. That reminds me, did that "Lancer Combat, Forged in the Dark for everything else" rpg get published yet? That looked real cool.
ICON has been released as a playtest and has been undergoing intense playtesting. You can download it off Massif Press' itch.io page, buy I believe it's already on its 4th iteration in as many weeks.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Tibalt posted:

ICON has been released as a playtest and has been undergoing intense playtesting. You can download it off Massif Press' itch.io page, buy I believe it's already on its 4th iteration in as many weeks.

I'll wait to play it until it's actually finished, but I'm definitely buying it. I really miss tactical crunchy combat even if I've really fell in love with near 0 prep GMing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tsilkani posted:

Having heard the System Mastery review and skimmed the thing, there is a lot of Confederate apologia in Broncosaurus Rex that they absolutely can't write off as "Well, 2001 was a different time."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Coolness Averted posted:

We talk a lot about all game stuff here, so it never hurts to ask here first. Plus you can remind others about fun games and sometimes direct traffic to a thread we forgot about.
The nth iteration of our discussions about how to properly make a pokemon rpg
It's pokethulhu

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Halloween Jack posted:

Having heard the System Mastery review and skimmed the thing, there is a lot of Confederate apologia in Broncosaurus Rex that they absolutely can't write off as "Well, 2001 was a different time."

Definitely loses a lot of points for the part where the Confederacy frees the slaves in the 1880s because "it was the right thing to do all along and they knew it."

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Leraika posted:

I like the setting a lot but this is a cool option too. Is it basically Escaflowne where everyone has big gently caress off mechs even though it's the medieval times for no reason?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

change my name posted:

I like the setting a lot but this is a cool option too. Is it basically Escaflowne where everyone has big gently caress off mechs even though it's the medieval times for no reason?

The mechs are refluffed as weapons known as 'regalia' that are extremely powerful and extremely anime - mech size is refluffed as the size of the FIGHTING SPIRIT AURA they put out. Actually, regalia is basically the catch-all term for any sort of magical tool - my character's regalia was originally a tool for civilian use (mapping out leylines and magic currents, extremely important in magical urban engineering) and awakened into a combat form that does Vague Bullshit concerning probabiltiy mapping and divination (her version of the Emperor's overshield is basically surrounding allies with a bubble of 'no actually that missed', and overlaying the possible futures where the enemies got their asses kicked on the present for 1d6 AP energy damage).

I've hinted pretty strongly that it's a fragment of some sort of collective record of everything that's slowly rebuilding itself.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 24, 2021

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Arivia posted:

@Tsilkani: that's just terrible RPG Twitter cancel culture bullshit (and i don't use that term lightly but it describes what RPG Twitter is like these days). As we've already discussed, Goodman Games has repeatedly supported Black lives and Black causes including donations. Making an alternative history game twenty years ago is incredibly small potatoes in comparison.
Do you interact with any black people at all??????? Any??????? Because obsessing over black people's hair is really dam racist even if its unintentional.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I give, I concede. I’m tired of arguing in circles about this and it’s not helping anyone. I don’t have the energy to bang my head against a wall.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Arivia posted:

I give, I concede. I’m tired of arguing in circles about this and it’s not helping anyone. I don’t have the energy to bang my head against a wall.
Answer the dam question you coward. I'll even readily admit that I was completely ignorant and a bit flabbergasted as to how racist and demeaning those dice were until I saw first hand how much black people's hair are fetishized.

And Im not even saying their evil because sometimes you just don't know or you make a mistake.

EDIT:
This is the book with the really creepy you must worship gygax and pay homage to him screed right at the start right?

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 24, 2021

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MadScientistWorking posted:

This is the book with the really creepy you must worship gygax and pay homage to him screed right at the start right?

It's more of a "it's role-playing not roll-playing!!!" screed in defense of the funnel and randomly rolled characters.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Answer the dam question you coward.

How about no?

Yes, the dice thing was super-racist. That is not an excuse to go after your posting enemies like a shark after blood when they do the sensible thing and back down.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I like to team up with Yes-man and take over the Mojave for myself, but I see merit in working with the NCR.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

potatocubed posted:

How about no?

Yes, the dice thing was super-racist. That is not an excuse to go after your posting enemies like a shark after blood when they do the sensible thing and back down.
That's not backing down. Backing down is not making a snarky comment about how its too painful to explain how they are right. That's just being an rear end in a top hat who wants to get the last word in.

And if I really hated her I would let this go and just let her make a bigger rear end of herself in some other situation. As I said before I didn't even know how violently and ridiculously racist this was until my early 30s.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Sometimes context changes the meaning, sometimes it's not. You have provided context for the magic afro and people have said no, still racist. That's not banging your head against a wall that's opening a door and not liking where it leads.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

That's not backing down. Backing down is not making a snarky comment about how its too painful to explain how they are right. That's just being an rear end in a top hat who wants to get the last word in.

So what?

Arivia comprehensively lost the argument. What do you gain by keeping it going?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

potatocubed posted:

So what?

Arivia comprehensively lost the argument. What do you gain by keeping it going?

A stage to continue preaching superiority over people who can't actually do anything about the issue at hand or make any meaningful effect on it? That's all that's been "gained" by having this conversation at all, is opportunities for cheap dunks on posting enemies.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Crossposting for visibility, since the Thread for Threads isn't the most active place.

King of Solomon posted:

Since it got brought up in the chat thread, I'm curious. How many goons actually play the Digimon TCG? I've been considering making a thread for it, but I only want to put in that effort if there are people who'd post in it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

King of Solomon posted:

Crossposting for visibility, since the Thread for Threads isn't the most active place.

I'd be interested in learning to play, in any case, especially if there's a robust online playing tool.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

King of Solomon posted:

I collected the cards but never played.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Leraika posted:

The mechs are refluffed as weapons known as 'regalia' that are extremely powerful and extremely anime - mech size is refluffed as the size of the FIGHTING SPIRIT AURA they put out. Actually, regalia is basically the catch-all term for any sort of magical tool - my character's regalia was originally a tool for civilian use (mapping out leylines and magic currents, extremely important in magical urban engineering) and awakened into a combat form that does Vague Bullshit concerning probabiltiy mapping and divination (her version of the Emperor's overshield is basically surrounding allies with a bubble of 'no actually that missed', and overlaying the possible futures where the enemies got their asses kicked on the present for 1d6 AP energy damage).

I've hinted pretty strongly that it's a fragment of some sort of collective record of everything that's slowly rebuilding itself.

You kinda turned it into TTGL there.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You kinda turned it into TTGL there.

It is very anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Leraika posted:

This is pretty great and you should post more about it.