Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Dick Bastardly posted:

someone should attempt to dive off a high altitude balloon in the stratosphere and parachute to the top of Everest and then snowboard down it maybe even using the chute as an airbrake/traversal tool, or forget the chute, just cut it away and alpine that bitch all the way down, maybe wing suit across crevasses if necessary and just really send it

Last Day as it should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Thread: should I waste all my money and get a Sherpa to drag my worthless rear end up Everest? Only I’m having a midlife crisis and it’s the only thing that will help.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Food $200

Data $150

Rent $800

Sherpas $3,600

Utility $150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

i'm not owned, i'm not owned... i strain to form thoughts in my fogged up brain as i turn into a landmark

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Zero One posted:

Food $200

Data $150

Rent $800

Sherpas $3,600

Utility $150

someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Drop the data for Oxygen

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Outrail posted:

Drop the data for Oxygen

No

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Have you got enough Sherpas? Can't have too many Sherpas.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

LanceHunter posted:

Not really, no. All the wingsuit videos show dudes really close to the ground because it is awesome, but to get to the point where you can do that you have to start by practicing very far from the ground.

EDIT:

Here are some people practicing in essentially skydiving conditions. http://www.adventurerocket.com/preparing-for-base-season-wingsuit-coaching-with-jarno/

What is wrong with human beings? It’s like Freud was right and, some people at least, have a death drive.

You won’t catch my dogs doing this poo poo.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

HAPE isn’t real I assure myself as I close my eyes and ram the Khumbu falls with my lovely ice axe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What if you took a heater to melt ice to make air? There's plenty of H2O free for the taking. You'd need something small and light, so maybe one of those radioactive soviet heaters.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Now there's a plan. Crack the core up on the summit, be the first person to die of radiation poisoning in the death zone -and- make the summit uninhabitable for humans for the next 10k years.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

someone should attempt to dive off a high altitude balloon in the stratosphere and parachute to the top of Everest and then snowboard down it maybe even using the chute as an airbrake/traversal tool, or forget the chute, just cut it away and alpine that bitch all the way down, maybe wing suit across crevasses if necessary and just really send it

they have to be playing a guitar solo the entire time

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

space uncle posted:

HAPE isn’t real I assure myself as I close my eyes and ram the Khumbu falls with my lovely ice axe.

Even if it were real, I took this sheep dewormer which studies have shown prevents HAPE.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Cojawfee posted:

Even if it were real, I took this sheep dewormer which studies have shown prevents HAPE.

These days, every disease can be cured if you just find the right animal dewormer. Got my bee dewormer for arthritis, my whale dewormer for dementia, my worm dewormer for...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ZombieLenin posted:

What is wrong with human beings? It’s like Freud was right and, some people at least, have a death drive.

You won’t catch my dogs doing this poo poo.

I've seen animals do some incredibly dumb poo poo.

But yeah they don't plan it out.

Lorthdon
Feb 20, 2006
Has anyone made a Everest PC game in the style of Oregon Trail? Like you start outfitting your expedition in a REI in the Bay Area and instead of buying 12 oxen, you buy sherpas.

I want to load up my team named entirely after all of my ex-girlfriends with nothing but grandfather clocks and bacon and head up the mountain and die of HAPE.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Lorthdon posted:

Has anyone made a Everest PC game in the style of Oregon Trail? Like you start outfitting your expedition in a REI in the Bay Area and instead of buying 12 oxen, you buy sherpas.

I want to load up my team named entirely after all of my ex-girlfriends with nothing but grandfather clocks and bacon and head up the mountain and die of HAPE.

There's a ton of board games, at least, with this seemingly the most simulationist: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3642/assault-mt-everest

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's a mountain-climbing game out called Insurmountable but I doubt it'll let you caulk your wagon to get up the Hillary Step.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Lorthdon posted:

Insurmountable looks fun.

https://youtu.be/mZLsAQkGs_0

Or you could mod Dwarf Fortress

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

A goon made this exact game and it used to be linked in every op

e: https://teamdogpit.itch.io/everest

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 24, 2021

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

And Tyler Too! posted:

you got that right :qfg:

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Anne Frank Funk posted:

God bless this dumb website

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

And Tyler Too! posted:

A keytar solo.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

This game is really fun. I'm bad at it and always die!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Anne Frank Funk posted:

From the site reviews:

muslimgauze posted:

bad game made by failsons who spend literal days of their lives laughing about people dying

Lol

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

gschmidl posted:

There's a ton of board games, at least, with this seemingly the most simulationist: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3642/assault-mt-everest

love a game where the creators say that "sometimes playing this will feel like chinese water torture".

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Outrail posted:

From the site reviews:

Lol

Having the concern troll comments included on the game page is very meta.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

pre-game death pool not implemented, 0/10

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Outrail posted:

From the site reviews:

quote:

muslimgauze posted:

bad game made by failsons who spend literal days of their lives laughing about people dying
Lol

reveal yourself muslimgauze

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Alan Smithee posted:

reveal yourself muslimgauze

:rip:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

quote:

Jones was rushed to A&E in Manchester with a rare fungal infection in his bloodstream, for which he had to be heavily sedated. His body eventually shut down

How tf do you get mushroom blood?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Outrail posted:

Inject mushroom tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmiowRlk8Xc

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Outrail posted:

He's he a fungi!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

https://twitter.com/tammygolden/status/1436341568168808453?s=20

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
dying at the peak is still climbing right

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Dying at the peak means spending the exact amount of effort needed to reach the top and nothing more. It's peak efficiency imho.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Thursday Next posted:

I got turned on to a book centered around Everest called Summit, by Harry Farthing. It's fiction, but it's extremely well-researched, and plays an interesting what-if game with the first summiters being members of the Nazi party. It goes into pretty good detail on the British colonialism aftereffects in Nepal, as well as covering why mountaineering was such a big deal at the time.

Yes, it's also a bit of a thriller and has some tropes, but it's a good page-turner. If you like mountaineering, Everest history, or Nepal, it's a good one to pick up. It weaves two plot lines (one modern; one from 1939) and covers things from that recent NatGeo article. Mallory's supposed camera is mentioned a lot, and always with a healthy dose of skepticism. It explains things way better than the NatGeo article, IMO, as to why recovery of certain items would be so financially lucrative.

And it does sate the eat-the-rich bloodlust a bit, so there's that too.
This post inspired me to pick up the (audio)book because im a child who cant sit still and read unless its in a videogame. I'm about 2/3rds in and unfortunately im running out of steam. Absolutely spot on with the well researched bits. Had no clue Nepal was handicapped so hard because of colonialism, the Nepalese royal massacre of 2001, few other neat things too that I stopped the book to google and realize xyz event actually happened.

Two complaints I cant get over, but expected because its a thriller:

-Sauron/Saran/the French dude: I feel like he overstayed his welcome the moment he assembled this international manhunt scheme
- the '39 protagonist and the jewish gal presumably boning hours after she figures out hes a nazi but still likes him because reasons.
- the nazis and their weird love of cinematic theatrics when doing dramatic things which feels like a meme at this point

Gonna see if I can force myself to get through the final third of it. The more grounded stuff is really interesting and I think the book shines when the involved characters are climbing.

Anyway I got 2 more books on audible which are nonfiction, one called K2 by Ed Viesturs, David Roberts and Ascent into Hell by Fergus White. Ive gotten a bit into both already but the latter has convinced me that mountaineering at high altitudes and eating local food guarantees apocalyptic levels of pants pooping, hershey squirts, and projectile vomiting.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dan Simmons also seems to have written an Everest horror novel called "The Abominable", which includes nazi zombies.

I stopped reading Simmons after his sudden chud turn so I've no idea how it is but Amazon reviews, despite an apparent average high rating, are pretty negative.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

gschmidl posted:

Dan Simmons also seems to have written an Everest horror novel called "The Abominable", which includes nazi zombies.

I stopped reading Simmons after his sudden chud turn so I've no idea how it is but Amazon reviews, despite an apparent average high rating, are pretty negative.

People just don't like chuds I guess. Except other chuds, they're pretty chud supportive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

uXs posted:

Dying at the peak means spending the exact amount of effort needed to reach the top and nothing more. It's peak efficiency imho.

If u die at the peak u become the peak