Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
so, after my first game, i think a lot of it is in a good state and it personally does a lot of the things i wanted that that civ 6 didn't. for example, i like that getting to gunpowder feels like it completely changes combat and how you consider terrain. beyond the bugs, i think the big problem is the pacing. 300 turns feels too little, and i feel like 450 might be closer to what i want, but the real issue is that tech and eras just fly past (and that's without investing in tech much at all!) early game it feels like i don't have a chance to get anything done, but then the contemporary era feels like it goes past before i get to enjoy toys like nukes and such.

event yields are busted and the developers should consider borrowing from stellaris where instead of getting like 1000 gold (which is outpaced relatively quickly) you instead get x or [y turns of production worth].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

yeah the events should be % based or yield based to make their costs and penalties meaningful

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
A tiny, petty thing that bothers me: civs from different eras having the same name and the devs not knowing what to do with that.

In particular, I hate how the Egyptians are both an ancient era and contemporary era culture, whereas the Japanese are a contemporary era culture and the "Edo Japanese" are an early modern era culture, and the Persians are a modern era culture and the "Achaemenid Persians" are a classical era culture. They really should either rename the Japanese and Persian cultures to just be "Japanese" and "Persian" like how they did with Egypt, or (better IMO) give the cultures different names so there's no need to wrangle in an adjective (eg the Achaemenids for Persia and the Kamakura for Japan)

EDIT: Kamakura is maybe medieval era rather than early modern. Maybe "The Tokugawa" or something would fit better. Still, something like that is preferable to slapping "Edo" in front of Japanese

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 24, 2021

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Why is the claim wonder button hidden where it is good lord.

fadderman
Feb 3, 2008
dyslectic lurker
there is a red notifiction icon on you city list when you can claim a wonder, just open the city list and you will see unclaimed wonders button

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Is there any point in buying extra copies of luxuries? Do they count as those exploited in my territory?

Count me in as those overwhelmed by decision paralysis in this game.

The visuals are pretty and I think it loads and plays faster than Civ 6 in my laptop.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah they give you additive benefits. I think there's also some sort of bonus for having a monopoly, not sure.

Three games in a row now, I've gotten invaded by the Huns, who became the Aztecs midway through. The AI's culture preferences are annoying; it makes the games feels samey. They love the two horde factions, the Harappans, the Poles, and the Haudenosaunee. They seem to love agri cultures in general.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kazzah posted:

Yeah they give you additive benefits. I think there's also some sort of bonus for having a monopoly, not sure.

Three games in a row now, I've gotten invaded by the Huns, who became the Aztecs midway through. The AI's culture preferences are annoying; it makes the games feels samey. They love the two horde factions, the Harappans, the Poles, and the Haudenosaunee. They seem to love agri cultures in general.

Have you tried changing the AIs you play with? I think specific personalities have favorite culture picks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ulvino posted:

Is there any point in buying extra copies of luxuries? Do they count as those exploited in my territory?

Count me in as those overwhelmed by decision paralysis in this game.

The visuals are pretty and I think it loads and plays faster than Civ 6 in my laptop.

Yes they all stack and enough of them gives you the ability to get super extractors built later in the game with Patronage. And if you're a merchant nation you can resell everything you buy.

e: and the hanging gardens wonder counts as a luxury extractor you can build way before Patronage, be sure to place it on a resource to get the boosted effect!

There are five types of luxuries for each of the four FIMS, two give a bonus to all cities (one flat, one %), one boosts workers, one the main city tile, and one districts, of the respective type.

All luxuries give all cities a flat stability bonus as well.

To your second point, just dig in and build roughly in the direction that suits your current strategy - this game is actually really generous with giving you time to correct small mistakes. You can save production on items you have to move in the queue, stability loses take several turns to shift, battles can last multiple game turns giving time for reinforcements, ransacking takes multiple turns, etc

You really don't need to be hyper optimal to do ok as long as you're engaging with the systems and exploiting obvious synergies

victrix fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Aug 24, 2021

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Why is the claim wonder button hidden where it is good lord.

It's under the city list button in the top right, for some reason.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Luxuries are super good. Get as many as you can, even if that means bullying the AI into selling them all to you. I would also consider Patronage one of the few techs worth beelining for the instant it becomes available.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you have a lot of food near you, it's worth it to spend a few extra turns spreading out to collect it all so you can generate a small horde of scouts. Take that horde to your nearest neighbor and conquer them right away. That accelerated my second campaign so much more quickly than my first.

how did you get the warscore the take their city?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's also not super clear, but manufactories from Patronage are mini wonders

only one for each luxury can be built in the world, and you can only build one if you have half of all of that luxury in the world (a monopoly, though I'm not sure there's any effect of that beyond enabling the manufactory construction)

the idea is you're creating a city-specific monopoly of that luxury, so you'd have Tokyo's Ambergris, world renowned for its ambergrisness.

building the manufactory gives a FIMS type specific bonus to ALL of your cities - 5% of the resource type per copy of the resource, and it gives 10 stability as well

so yes, if possible, beeline Patronage and build every manufactory you can

(again, hanging gardens acts as one immediately, nice if you can snag it!)

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I've had serious trouble deciding between Hanging Gardens and Great Pyramids. If you get first choice on either, what would you guys usually pick?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Hanging Gardens if you have a lot of one luxury, Pyramids if you dont. Pyramids might be slightly higher priority if you're Egyptians though since it dovetails extremely well with their bonuses.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Clarste posted:

Why does it have to be capped at one thing at a time? That's a totally arbitrary limitation that a new game could easily remove if they wanted to.

In Civ4 there are mods that allow civilizations to build multiple things a turn (Fall From Heaven allows this for some of their Civs). You are still limited to only one "type" of thing a turn though. So you can build say 4 archers, or two buildings, but not 2 archers and 1 building in the same turn. But yea I agree that the idea of only being able to build one thing a turn despite having excess production is dumb.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Has anyone tried to use the "Under One Banner" expansionist ability? When targeted at peaceful civs it says you need to be at war, but when I targeted it at someone I was at war with it said I needed to change diplomatic status..

I've gotten it to work in the early game, but it's a very niche ability. It costs gold and it takes multiple turns to do. Additionally if you are attacked while you are doing it, the ability is reset and you lose the gold and the turn progress. It seems to work only on unattached outposts' and only from civs you aren't at war with.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

In Civ4 there are mods that allow civilizations to build multiple things a turn (Fall From Heaven allows this for some of their Civs). You are still limited to only one "type" of thing a turn though. So you can build say 4 archers, or two buildings, but not 2 archers and 1 building in the same turn. But yea I agree that the idea of only being able to build one thing a turn despite having excess production is dumb.

I'm pretty sure in humankind if your city production is high enough it will build more than one thing a turn. Like you put two units in the queue and they will both say 1 turn and both appear next turn.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Megazver posted:

Have you tried changing the AIs you play with? I think specific personalities have favorite culture picks.

Yeah I think this is something that has been very poorly publicised but is vital for replayability.

I hope they add in the ability to make your own ai opponents at some point...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ebola Dog posted:

I'm pretty sure in humankind if your city production is high enough it will build more than one thing a turn. Like you put two units in the queue and they will both say 1 turn and both appear next turn.

Can confirm. If you build a city late in the game and attach a bunch of territories to it it'll have a huge production output and almost no cost for districts, so you can crank out like six a turn for a couple of turns.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

am I taking crazy pills? you can build multiple items in one turn

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

victrix posted:

am I taking crazy pills? you can build multiple items in one turn

Clarste means having multiple queues for different types of things I think. A building queue and a unit queue, that sort of thing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ebola Dog posted:

i'm still not sure if this is intended or not, because if it is intended it feels like a massive oversight to never tell the player this

i went through several games without using the queue thinking it doesn't matter, and nowhere does the ui indicate that it will take anything less than 1 turn per thing.... but as you say, queuing totally does let you do multiple things in a single turn. goes for both building and technology

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
ok question, do you have to do a slavery civic or can you just not do that forever. is there a way to outlaw it through civics?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

ok question, do you have to do a slavery civic or can you just not do that forever. is there a way to outlaw it through civics?

nope you dont ever have to do a civic unless you want something earlier in the line

eventually you get a tech that bans whipping citizens which i think correlates to banning slavery

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

you never have to pick a civic and there are some cases where you might not want to (in particular, the irreligious society civics which will crater your religion no matter the choice. not something you wanna click on if you're focusing on religion)

as for slavery the closest i can think that it's represented in the game outside of that civic is the ability to sacrifice your population to build things, and that does get outlawed by a later technology which is actually very cool

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011

Your Computer posted:

i'm still not sure if this is intended or not, because if it is intended it feels like a massive oversight to never tell the player this

i went through several games without using the queue thinking it doesn't matter, and nowhere does the ui indicate that it will take anything less than 1 turn per thing.... but as you say, queuing totally does let you do multiple things in a single turn. goes for both building and technology

It's not like it's a big deal. All 'bars' overflow. It's not like anything gets 'wasted', the production is always used. Just like science where if you can't research anything continues to 'build' so you're that much closer to the next tech you click.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

nope you dont ever have to do a civic unless you want something earlier in the line

eventually you get a tech that bans whipping citizens which i think correlates to banning slavery

Your Computer posted:

you never have to pick a civic and there are some cases where you might not want to (in particular, the irreligious society civics which will crater your religion no matter the choice. not something you wanna click on if you're focusing on religion)

as for slavery the closest i can think that it's represented in the game outside of that civic is the ability to sacrifice your population to build things, and that does get outlawed by a later technology which is actually very cool

ty. what was confusing me is I kept having a grievance against another nation for their policy on slavery, and like, I didn't have one. Maybe it recorded my policy as no slaves and theirs as pro-slavery

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pattonesque posted:

You can discard a chosen civic without picking the opposite option if you go back into its selection screen. It does cost quite a bit of influence to cancel one, bear in mind, but it can be done.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pattonesque posted:

ty. what was confusing me is I kept having a grievance against another nation for their policy on slavery, and like, I didn't have one. Maybe it recorded my policy as no slaves and theirs as pro-slavery

Yes, if you never implement a slavery civic that counts as not having slavery, although you can still enslave citizens for production. That's never worthwhile though, it values the lives of your citizens at something tiny like 25 hammers. When you research Encyclopedia, it abolishes slavery. I find the best way to handle excess population, if you can't build districts, is to use the Conscription policy and put them in the military.

We don't even have to win this war. We just want to cut down on some of this excess population... Now look. Just start up a draft; draft as many of those people as you can. We'll call up every last youngster we can get our hands on, and give 'em an hour or two to learn how to use an automatic rifle and send 'em on their way.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I gotta say the Noresemen are a great pick if you're going for that New World continent. Their special unit is really OP for that time period, your land units can now enter ocean tiles and they've got better attack than the strictly neval units of that era. Someone else is closer to the new world than I am and already got a city set up, all I have to do is take it away and then pick them off as they sail across the water, it's like ripping through wet Kleenex. This also keeps them busy while I claim the rest of the continent for my glorious Haudenosaunee empire, which gives my gunner units stealth on top of being able to move and shoot in the same turn plus their unique building is a massive food bomb that will help my cities catch up after centuries of warfare.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Ransacking is actually kinda pitiful unless you have war slaves and are stealing pops.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Eimi posted:

Since Zhou is probably my favorite ancient civ, I am happy waiting since the AI doesn't really go for them. Harrpans are gone insanely fast though.

so far the only starter civ that's really worked for me has been egyptians. i tried nubians but their hammer output is just dire. i could see zhou being really powerful with a lot of early game stability though.

i finished my second full game yesterday and it was still pretty fun. that's far higher praise than i could sing for vanilla civ 6.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I think this is something that has been very poorly publicised but is vital for replayability.

I hope they add in the ability to make your own ai opponents at some point...

The fact that you have to manually shuffle your opponents is so frustrating. I don't think there's a random opponent option, which is real :psyduck: hours. No wonder every game the ais feel samely and are going for the same civs!

Fur20 posted:

so far the only starter civ that's really worked for me has been egyptians. i tried nubians but their hammer output is just dire. i could see zhou being really powerful with a lot of early game stability though.

i finished my second full game yesterday and it was still pretty fun. that's far higher praise than i could sing for vanilla civ 6.

Egypt is great, not even really for the pyramids but because that chariot archer is just insanely awesome. Only way I've had success against the huns is starting Egypt.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Babylonians are pretty good. Their unique quarter acts as a Research and a Farming quarter, so you can start juicing your science without undermining growth. And it has lax adjacency requirements so you can slam that poo poo down wherever.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Babylonians are pretty good. Their unique quarter acts as a Research and a Farming quarter, so you can start juicing your science without undermining growth. And it has lax adjacency requirements so you can slam that poo poo down wherever.

Yeah I should specify to really get anything out of the Zhou you need some way to get a tile touching two mountains. :v: I might have to try Babylon, that sounds like a lot better than just harrapans.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I found the Olmecs rather meh, didn't feel like I was getting any more influence then the other ancient civs.

I also found the Mexicans a bit rubbish, the unique quarter seemed worse than the Celts and I moved up to the contemporary era before I could even build their unique unit!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ebola Dog posted:

I found the Olmecs rather meh, didn't feel like I was getting any more influence then the other ancient civs.

I also found the Mexicans a bit rubbish, the unique quarter seemed worse than the Celts and I moved up to the contemporary era before I could even build their unique unit!

Honestly even if the hacienda isn't that fantastic, 10% to all food is.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Eimi posted:

Yeah I should specify to really get anything out of the Zhou you need some way to get a tile touching two mountains. :v: I might have to try Babylon, that sounds like a lot better than just harrapans.

Harappans are really strong if you can settle on rivers. So far, population and science seem to be king, same as in Civ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is there a reason not to ransack the various animal dens early on? Presumably you could kill the animals that spawn for greater rewards than the ransack gives, but apart from that - like do they become a resource later if you leave them alone or something?