Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Faye's outfit in the show is terrible, but this is at best a lateral move. Her boots look like poo poo. Like they gave her ankle boots but then realized the brief said thigh boots so they just shoved a leather tube down them and called that good.

also yeah the hooters issue others have spoken about already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Her outfit is a very generic scifi/western kind of look. It looks like it came from the Firefly leftover rack.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Her outfit is a very generic scifi/western kind of look. It looks like it came from the Firefly leftover rack.

I can understand the desire to make it less provocative, but like, that's part of the character. Faye is a scam artist, a card sharp, and her sexy outfit is part of her routine. It's part of how she interacts with people and gets into their confidence while also holding them at a distance emotionally. You take that away and you have reduced the character. Maybe they've added something new to the character to balance that, maybe the actress is gonna knock it out of the park and sell the character anyway, but it's a worrying sign.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

My biggest issue is that Spike's suit really doesn't translate well to live action. It looks weird that a guy who has to do kung fu and gunfights constantly would wear something that would restrict his movement so much.

like that promo still that's clearly from the vicious chapel fight. He's bloodied and scuffed up but that slimfit single breasted suit coat is still buttoned and immaculate. This might just be a me issue but it looks super weird to me.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I would have rather had an Altered Carbon season 3 than this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I better get my loving Cowboy Andy episode with my goddamn elevator horse.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Retromancer posted:

lmao so many nerds will be big mad that Faye doesn't have her hooters hanging out constantly.

WHERE BOOBIEEE!!!!?>>!>??!

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Fleetwood posted:

the color palettes and set designs look way off/dreary as hell. why is it so muted?

netflix produced poo poo is garbage?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

season 1 was good
season 2 was a slog
you think s3 would have been good? I think it’s mostly that Joel Kinnaman is a good Action Movie Dude

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
The early Witcher promo pics all looked like dogshit too, and that turned out as a pleasant surprise. I'm gonna cling to some cautious optimism that it won't be total dogshit.

Cho looks...fine, I guess. That suit was never gonna transition to reality too well but we'll see. Jet's prosthetic arm looks like some amateur cosplay, hope the rough edges get filed down with some post CG or something.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wolfs posted:

season 1 was good
season 2 was a slog
you think s3 would have been good? I think it’s mostly that Joel Kinnaman is a good Action Movie Dude

I would still rather have bad Altered Carbon than live action Bebop.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
i liked when the guy from stargate sg1 was in it for like 5 minutes

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

KomradeX posted:

.Hack/Sign

my man:thumbsup:

fun fact mamaru oshii's "Avalon" was very much an inspiration to the .Hack franchise. In fact several people in the Writing staff for Avalon also went on to became key personnel for Sign

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Richard Morgan blocked me on twitter after I called him out on being a mindless anti corbyn psycho. The guy who wrote market forces doesn't understand politics smh

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

he's also the terfiest of all terfs

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Going full terfs not surprising I suppose. I stopped paying any heed to him after that run in.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So did he think the scary thing about his books was the changing bodies part and not the capitalism part?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Strikes me that he understand politics strictly aesthetically.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
netflix bebop wont dethrone death note as their best live action adaptation

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just making an appreciation post for Vanitas no Carte this season. The creator must have been a huge Parisian Design nerd because there's a lot of attention to detail placed on the backgrounds and environments. Show itself is overall just fine but it's nice to look at.

Serf
May 5, 2011

morgan turning out to be a transphobe is as hilarious as william gibson being a liberal

also the bebop live action stuff looks like poo poo. animation has some major advantages of live action that just can't be overcome and one of them is that characters made for animation rarely translate well to live action. this is the same poo poo as the dreams of making an akira live-action remake. just imagine what a bad cgi clusterfuck that would be

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

Strikes me that he understand politics strictly aesthetically.

It's this. I also had a look at his fantasy series for some unfathomable reason and he really writes exactly one character, even when there's no super soldier program to have as an excuse.

Serf posted:

morgan turning out to be a transphobe is as hilarious as william gibson being a liberal

also the bebop live action stuff looks like poo poo. animation has some major advantages of live action that just can't be overcome and one of them is that characters made for animation rarely translate well to live action. this is the same poo poo as the dreams of making an akira live-action remake. just imagine what a bad cgi clusterfuck that would be

Why wouldn't Gibson turn out to be a lib? Pretty successful author in his 70s?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I started the first volume of Chainsaw Man - does the dude ever become less of an incel?

Serf
May 5, 2011

genericnick posted:

It's this. I also had a look at his fantasy series for some unfathomable reason and he really writes exactly one character, even when there's no super soldier program to have as an excuse.

Why wouldn't Gibson turn out to be a lib? Pretty successful author in his 70s?

maybe it's just me but i always interpreted this

"And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human."

as a condemnation of capitalists, but i suppose if you think transhumanism is cool it could be read the other way? the sprawl novels depict a pretty lovely future where massive corporations have crushed regular people, so they were definitely an early influence on my political thinking

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Deified Data posted:

I started the first volume of Chainsaw Man - does the dude ever become less of an incel?

That's a really bad take on the character, but if you think that's how you think it is, it won't change for awhile. I've only read the first five volumes but in all of those yeah it continues to be about lonely characters trying to make connections with other people even though they know they are disposable and will die horribly soon.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Serf posted:

"And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human."

as a condemnation of capitalists, but i suppose if you think transhumanism is cool it could be read the other way? the sprawl novels depict a pretty lovely future where massive corporations have crushed regular people, so they were definitely an early influence on my political thinking

People can lose their edge as they get old and comfortable

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Good soup! posted:

i remember it being popular but nowhere near the touchstone that bebop was

i remember it being more popular/liked than bebop, but i preferred bebop myself and as a teen i was annoyed at this lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Serf posted:

Sure, I also loved the books. And it's been years, so I may be talking out of my rear end, but I always had the feeling that he was kind of mellowing out in the later books, more happy endings, family, kids. And I'm not saying that his writing lacks authenticity or anything like that, but if you write about a terrible future that comes true in general, but not for you in particular I can see how it can stop feeling real to you. And once your politics don't feel real anymore you're half way to liberalism.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 14:02 on Aug 24, 2021

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Cyberpunk is the story of going from the l33t teen h@x0rs to the boring corporate drone without ever realizing it

Serf
May 5, 2011

yeah i can definitely see how success and money got to gibson and made him into a lib. i wonder how you can live with yourself like that but i guess all the cash makes it easy

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Serf posted:

yeah i can definitely see how success and money got to gibson and made him into a lib. i wonder how you can live with yourself like that but i guess all the cash makes it easy

Cash means you have all the creature comforts, fame means you have all the yes men you need to convince yourself that you are right

Imagine what it would do for your confidence to have one (1) yes man in your life

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the thing about capitalism with all its trinkets is it works

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

netflix bebop wont dethrone death note as their best live action adaptation

No joke, Gintama has the best live action adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3YxxEZoMK4

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

Deified Data posted:

Denji isn't an incel, he's a simp

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Reik posted:

No joke, Gintama has the best

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Deified Data posted:

'Incel' implies resentment of women. He just has rock-bottom self-esteem, and wants to be the kind of person who gets to (consensually) touch boobs.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
all involuntary celibates are incels

and i make fun of them all

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

why did eva thrice upon a time play Xmas music from a gospel choir at me

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

cozy vibes or whatever

thats how mafia works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
I really liked the Altered Carbon books but the next thing I read from Morgan was Black Man/Thirteen and it's just loving Blade Runner with biotruths. The whole gimmick is about unlocking the genes that create true human alpha males and I can easily see the arc between that pile of poo poo and ten years later having a lot of opinions on who should be able to use public bathrooms.