Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

what in the gently caress lol
Living in the south, baybeeee!

keithy george posted:

Bruce Pritchard gives the speech about “they can’t win in their home town because people watch all over the world”, then the product is watching promos about the Idaho Buckledome and the Kansas Antelopes while we salute the American flag.
Distinctly remember old Raw shows that had a bunch of shots of the city and local landmarks, even the outside of the arena they were in and some gruff guy on a phone in WCW talking about where you should eat at while promoting upcoming shows

Those were fun because I didn't travel much as a kid or teenager so I got to see and hear about the rest of the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tampa Bae posted:

Watching that is one of my first childhood memories of wrestling and my mom banned it in the house until my dad started sneaking VHS tapes his cousin made copies of the PPV with Austin and Mike Tyson fighting.

I don't remember why I was punished for seeing it but I had to write the bible verse John 3:16 a hundred times to repent for my sin of watching what my dad had on TV at the time

Mrs. Tampa Bae's Mom: I don't get it, I made them associate the Bible with a negative and somewhat traumatic memory and for some reason they didn't become more religious as a result? That wrestling must be to blame!

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Jerusalem posted:

Mrs. Tampa Bae's Mom: I don't get it, I made them associate the Bible with a negative and somewhat traumatic memory and for some reason they didn't become more religious as a result? That wrestling must be to blame!
Wait until you hear the story about how my dad won an N64 from a local fox station's Simpson's trivia contest and my mother made me hand it to a very confused garbage truck driver.

Hope that sanitary worker made his kids very happy that day because it hadn't even been opened

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

J...Jesus.....

Yeah I was goofing around but.... drat dude. :smith:

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Jerusalem posted:

J...Jesus.....

Yeah I was goofing around but.... drat dude. :smith:
The Simpsons lead to a hard worker getting a free N64, what's sad about that?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You're good people, Tampa Bae :ussr:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tampa Bae posted:

Wait until you hear the story about how my dad won an N64 from a local fox station's Simpson's trivia contest and my mother made me hand it to a very confused garbage truck driver.

Hope that sanitary worker made his kids very happy that day because it hadn't even been opened

I had to throw out all my RPG books (which I had spent ~all my summer job and whatever money on all my life until that point as a teenager) because some Jehovah's Witnesses insisted that they were satanic. When I tried to point out that some of them extremely were not because they were standard sci-fi stuff, they switched to "yeah well they feature a future where Armageddon hasn't come to pass so they're sinful as well plus these games force you to adopt a persona that's not yours and that's disrespectful to Jehovah".

So I feel you. loving religious yahoos.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Steve Austin's most famous promo "Hey folks! I'm taking my King of the Ring crown to watch the Packers here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin!"

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Endless Mike posted:

Steve Austin's most famous promo "Hey folks! I'm taking my King of the Ring crown to watch the Packers here in Milwaukee, Wisconsin!"
That's a Mick Foley promo and he's the only guy who could ever get away with that kind of pandering

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Booker T must be angling for a contract from WWE or something, that's the only reason I can see for him having such an incredibly stupid take on Punk's promo

Like, even Jim Cornette, a man whose career at this point is literally "poo poo on anything AEW does", had high praise for both the promo and how AEW executed Punk's return

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Tampa Bae posted:

That's a Mick Foley promo and he's the only guy who could ever get away with that kind of pandering

OH MY GOD THAT PHOTO BOOK THAT'S- THAT'S MANKINDS TRAVEL ALBUM

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Booker T must be angling for a contract from WWE or something, that's the only reason I can see for him having such an incredibly stupid take on Punk's promo

Like, even Jim Cornette, a man whose career at this point is literally "poo poo on anything AEW does", had high praise for both the promo and how AEW executed Punk's return
Booker T already has a legends contract, he was at WM this year. If he's angling for anything it'd be for Vince to put him on the commentary desk full-time somewhere for a bigger contract

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Booker pretty much always goes to extremes to be contrarian to any anti-WWE position. It's really obvious what he does. Every once in awhile he'll shock you by changing it up, but it's rare.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pylons posted:

"But me, I’m always telling it like it is, y’all know that…and I’m gonna tell it like it is on this one right there as well."

Why is it that the "telling it like it is" people never actually tell it like it is?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Booker has to tap dance twice as much ever since Mark Henry left, it's really quite sad. Look at the stress on his ankles. :(

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

To Booker there's nothing Punk could've done that would've been acceptable. Punk didn't address WWE by name, and talked around them aside from IIRC one line about mentioning the place that got him sick. How else are you supposed to talk about your career?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

To Booker there's nothing Punk could've done that would've been acceptable. Punk didn't address WWE by name, and talked around them aside from IIRC one line about mentioning the place that got him sick. How else are you supposed to talk about your career?

You’re supposed to acknowledge that WWE made it possible for the fans to pay for your house and that you’d be an absolute nothing, just a total nobody going nowhere without Vince’s support for all those years, duh.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Speaking about Black's release on the Hall Of Fame podcast, Booker noted: "You can't give a guy intro, give him a black gimmick, a dark robe, and go out there and become a star." Saying that while the entrance looked cool, [he mimicked Aleister Black's entrance], he added, "...you just can't get that gimmick and think because of the smoke and mirrors, you're going to go out there and get over."

Booker T added, ""Aleister Black is a good worker, but I'm looking for [a] guy that's 'talent'. I'm looking for [a] guy that's going to go out and do things totally different than everybody else on the roster." He noted talked about  Black's MMA attire, his martial arts background and the Black Mass for the finisher. "I get it," he said. "But, for me, Aleister Black was a guy that didn't set himself apart from the rest of the guys in the locker room."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Dutch satanist kickboxer too generic.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I get what he's doing here but it's really funny to hear that from a guy that had the like fifth WWE king gimmick for several years in two companies

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Booker T should go back in time and stay there.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Karma Tornado posted:

I get what he's doing here but it's really funny to hear that from a guy that had the like fifth WWE king gimmick for several years in two companies

It's especially funny to hear from a guy who was an active wrestler at the same time as goddamn Ministry Undertaker.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Booker T was my favorite wrestler growing up (I quit watching wrestling completely for a few years when HHH beat him at Mania) and it honestly breaks my heart to see some of his current takes on things.

Does he honestly think CM Punk should have started talking about Chicago landmarks for a cheap pop? Or is he just saying that because he wants to get in the good graces of WWE Management? Either way, this sucks.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Big case of the olds from Booker these days. Like either he's saying poo poo to produce clicks or he's completely detached not only from reality but also the truth of his own career.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

Booker T was my favorite wrestler growing up (I quit watching wrestling completely for a few years when HHH beat him at Mania) and it honestly breaks my heart to see some of his current takes on things.

Does he honestly think CM Punk should have started talking about Chicago landmarks for a cheap pop? Or is he just saying that because he wants to get in the good graces of WWE Management? Either way, this sucks.

no he honestly is hurt by cm punk not being happy with the company that treated him poorly because thats bookers company too and those types of things hurt his feelings but the only alternative he can come up with is "hey local thing we all like, right? yeah!" because he's been brain poisoned by vince mcmahon and it sapped all his creativity

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I am far too lazy anbd not brain damaged enough to look up Booker T in TNA but he was there during Russo's run so the chance of him not cutting a promo talking about WWE is zero.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Punk literally looked into the camera and said he was wrestling Allin on Sept 5 LIVE ON PAY PER VIEW! But he never set up any program.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Trips was right to bury Bad Brain Booker

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Punk literally looked into the camera and said he was wrestling Allin on Sept 5 LIVE ON PAY PER VIEW! But he never set up any program.

That could mean anything

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Let's be honest here. Booker T's been a grumpy old man for hate-clicks for years at this point. Him saying all this about Punk's return isn't surprising.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pinche Rudo posted:

Trips was right to bury Bad Brain Booker

He was not

Both can suck

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I love that all the WWE supporters, and even Booker T, end up referencing The Rock, Stone Cold, people from over two decades ago. Why doesn't he give this advice to the new WWE stars? Roman Reigns should have come out and talked about the Empire State Building. Then the crowd would all applaud and start having a party.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Shucky, ducky and indeed quack, quack.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

keithy george posted:

I love that all the WWE supporters, and even Booker T, end up referencing The Rock, Stone Cold, people from over two decades ago. Why doesn't he give this advice to the new WWE stars? Roman Reigns should have come out and talked about the Empire State Building. Then the crowd would all applaud and start having a party.

Because not even WWE supporters think the current wrestlers are actually stars.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Shinjobi posted:

He was not

Both can suck

it all lends support to the theory that triple h is a time traveler who is trying to save the future of wrestling. we may not understand a lot of the moves he's making now, but in 30 years, we'll wish we supported him more.

also it will turn out that hhh sent the fruit basket to his younger self

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
It's like, OK, everyone does talk about WWE when they come to AEW, but AEW's strength is as a place where you can decide to talk about what you want and be real, and surprise surprise, everyone who leaves that insane abusive hell cult has some poo poo to say about it. What're you gonna do?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"Here I am after a 7 year absence due to burnout and mistreatment, but oh boy I sure am lucky that I worked for a big media corporation! They sure did give me a boost to my notoriety! You guys should watch it, it's pretty cool. They have a winking doll and a gladiator man and a drip stick, and way shorter matches than we have here! I know I'm here in AEW now but you should really give Vince a chance! In fact I think I'll go back there, this place sucks! Also you should go check out that big weird bean in the park downtown, it's crazy!"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

keithy george posted:

there are zero new wwe stars lol

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Old has beens clinging to the past, never in my wildest imagination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Punk should have given a shout out to the Bean