Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

No Wave posted:

If I were starting today I would buy a mona + random 5 star account on ebay for 8 dollars. In general any 5 star feels good on a new account though because they feel expensive to look at in your character select screen.

Is that generally a safe thing to do? I look at ebay and I see accounts that have all kinds of characters and tons of currency for as low as 3 or 4 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yoimiya without her ult loses a lot of damage overall and it makes it annoying to gear her up with Energy Recharge as another stat to juggle to make sure she gets enough energy to ult on CD between skills.

Her ult isn't just damage for her, it also provides a Noblesse Oblige sized buff to the rest of the party. I've been running her with Xiangling in hopes that Guoba generates enough fire particles to make up for the drain but it hasn't been working super well. She's still fine for overworld exploration and gives a different style of play being one of the few normal attack based ranged characters.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

BabyRyoga posted:

Is that generally a safe thing to do? I look at ebay and I see accounts that have all kinds of characters and tons of currency for as low as 3 or 4 bucks.
I don't have personal experience. The general word on this (and other gachas) is that people tend to not get burned buying accounts that don't have any history of spending. I shouldnt be giving it as advice if I havent done it myself, it's against TOS, anything can happen, etc, rerolling on your own is always safest if you have the time/will. Maybe I'll buy one some time.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 24, 2021

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

In early game qiqi is high tier on the basis of Qiqi/Razor alone

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i will keep begging people to use kaeya. great barb synergy for giving razor free shatters too

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Harrow posted:

I don't have her but I was just basing it on what ~*~theorycrafters~*~ were saying. The most common recommendation I saw from them was the 2-piece CW/2-piece Shimenawa or Glad because yeah, she doesn't really shine with vapes/melts but her burst is still worth using (I think to keep up some damage during her inevitable infusion downtime?).

But I'll defer to people who actually have her.

2P CW + glad/shim is her BIS if you have her whale bow actually, since you need to cast her burst at the start. If you want her ult to actually do damage you need to run something like prototype crescent(don't) or skyward harp.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I still love playing Eula. Just chop stuff till it dies. If you can't kill it in one auto attack rotation, use your Q and everything dies.

My only nemesis are the abyss mages.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

AParadox posted:

2P CW + glad/shim is her BIS if you have her whale bow actually, since you need to cast her burst at the start. If you want her ult to actually do damage you need to run something like prototype crescent(don't) or skyward harp.
You don't need to burst to activate the bow, that's only for the sword. Unless you mean to ensure your energy is empty the whole time in which case sure idk the math.

Rust is no worse than protocrescent for Q damage, it's got an atk substat so it's fine. It's not like pyro cup + atk substat weapon leaves her ult in an especially bad place.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yoi ult is electro traveler levels of disappointment. Like I guess if you look at the numbers objectively it’s alright but gosh.

That said fuuuuuuck shimenawa’s it’s pure garbage the worst thing in the game your energy is precious don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

I do wanna try hod, that was my first thought for yoi before realizing shim’s was supposed to be her set.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Use vv on sayu. Sorry it’s boring answer but eh. Can her burst trigger vv off field?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HoD is probably better when using her with Bennett, probably equal or worse otherwise.

I agree her ult is visually just crap. Rosaria C0 deals roughly the same ult damage but it feels freakin great.

kater posted:

Use vv on sayu. Sorry it’s boring answer but eh. Can her burst trigger vv off field?
It cannot, fortunately for those with leveled jeans.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Cool, thanks for the tips. I figured tiny wind child would want VV, but always a good idea to check since I'm asking anyway.

I don't think I have any spare CW pieces lying around (that dungeon sure hates dropping any pieces at all!), but I guess it's time to start sinking resin into that domain again

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

AG3 posted:

Dilucs main drawback for me is the fact that he sets the grass on fire and burns himself to death unless I have Barbara in the team to put out the fire he set himself on, and 99% of the world in Genshin is covered in grass.

He absolutely is solid through and through, I just stopped using him because I got bored of his playstyle since he was my carry from like AR 15 to AR 50.

Super accurate post. Diluc is great for general use, but his biggest weakness is burning to death ever since they buffed self-burn way back when. Makes you have to move around a lot more than before if you light a large area on fire :/

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

You don't need to burst to activate the bow, that's only for the sword. Unless you mean to ensure your energy is empty the whole time in which case sure idk the math.

Rust is no worse than protocrescent for Q damage, it's got an atk substat so it's fine. It's not like pyro cup + atk substat weapon leaves her ult in an especially bad place.

Bennet is her most important teammate and her ult is only 60 energy so you naturally end up with the ult ready just as bennet builds up his own. The crescent thing is a meme about her charged shots.

You are still working with somewhere between 100-140% less damage multiplier with rust, using an r4 one I end up doing 221K damage with normal per rotation while 45K from her burst. It's not nothing but that damage contribution is similar to what my ayaka skill does in my rotations.

Edit: I may have forgotten to put some levels in her ult, the damage should actually be 62K over the duration at talent 9.

AParadox fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 24, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know that's just something that'll happen in comics and cutscenes compared to the gameplay. The manga even makes Amber look pretty cool and Visions get various abilities they can do aside from the two we have access to.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I still love playing Eula. Just chop stuff till it dies. If you can't kill it in one auto attack rotation, use your Q and everything dies.

My only nemesis are the abyss mages.
I feel the opposite way pretty much, I care less about abyss mages with my Eula party than pretty much any other since she's Cryo, the element that's allowed to counter two other elements for some reason. Electro or Hydro her and Diona can delete in two seconds, and Cryo can take out Pyro pretty quickly as well. The only thing that's a bit of a pain is Cryo, and even then her Electro support can cut through it without taking too long.

Eula is still one of my favorite characters to play and one of those useful toolbox characters that's not only strong but lets you sometimes pull of poo poo that no one else really can similar to Ganyu or whoever. Since I still have nowhere near enough EM gear and still farm it several days a week, I have by now perfected my Valley of Remembrance speedrun strat. Walk forward and left a bit so the Pyro Agent is to the front right of you, Venti Q, Eula E, Eula Q, Eula hold E, swap her out, done. Everything dying with her as the active character even fully refills her ult each time. She can also clear Ridge Watch in about ten seconds, so she's great at farming her own gear, unlike some people(looking at you pyro characters).

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

No Wave posted:

Every patch after 1.0 has a limited time event that gives you a free 4 star character or a unique R5 4 star weapon. These alternate. 1.0 didnt have one, 1.1 had fischl, 1.2 had festering desire, 1.3 had choose-a-liyue, 1.4 had windblume ode, 1.5 had diona, 1.6 had dodoco tales, this patch was Beidou, next patch is the tuna. The Catch is different and will apparently take multiple patches of grind to max out (like the teapot).

I wonder who the free character will be for the next patch...

reddit: "omg miHoYo's gonna give a free 5* for the anniversary! anything less would be completely immoral"

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

Might finally try to play this and do some rerolling (yeah I know, mostly pointless) in the background while I do other stuff tomorrow.

What characters should I be absolutely thrilled to get? Looking for a good balance of fun and OP.

The answer you are looking for is Bennett.

His ult makes your party nigh unkillable, grants a sizable damage buff while doing so, and has a crazy low cooldown on his skill that generates a ton of energy for whatever team you build.

Is pyro, can be built as a carry, support, and healer. Either focused as one of those roles, or all 3 at once - Bennett is incredible.

He's also 4 star and way more attainable than a lot of the meta characters that people talk about.

Xingqiu is also a meta powerhouse 4 star, but he is reliant on a specific weapon (sacrificial sword) and his deal is more about enabling constant hydro based reactions for your carry. He needs to be invested in before he feels game breaking, but you're definitely going to want him eventually if you stick with Genshin.

Colorspray fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 24, 2021

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

reddit: "omg miHoYo's gonna give a free 5* for the anniversary! anything less would be completely immoral"

Maybe its the people from honkai complaining, since they are quite a bit more generous there. For example when I started playing honkai they just reworked an outdated 5* to make her extremely strong, top of the meta, and had an event where you could actually farm her. Whales still wished for her consts and her gear but it felt so good having such a strong character from the get go.

With that said, in that game you compete with other players for most nonevent cyclic rewards, and sometimes even in the event ones, so you need wish for gear and weapons to keep up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Honkai is also in a weird state where the average non abyss content barely has you use your own characters, or at least nerf them because they're so nerfed to make the event gimmick work.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I can't believe it took me until seeing a data sheet for Baal's talents that I realized that Kazuha's "the symbol of ultimate power and divine punishment" hype-beasting over Baal in his story debut and the pull the electric sword out of her cleavage and appear to cut time and space burst are one and the same Musou no Hitotachi technique. I mean it makes total sense now, but somewhere along the way it got mentally internalized as the rule 34 attack. There's just something so absolutely peak weeb about that to me like they just really really REALLY know their audience sometimes. Stuff like just randomly inserting how Ganyu choked a giant monster to death by being too loving fat for it to swallow and feeling great shame enough to slim down thousands of years before the present time also seems to indicate a keen awareness of said target audience. I mean developers, character designers and lore writers can also kind of just check the internet like the rest of us.

Anyway we're probably getting her and Sara's character trailers very very soon. Could even be tomorrow at Gamescom where that Geoff Keighley fellow was implying there's supposed to be some major news for it. If not then probably at least by Friday.

Regarding Yoimiya again I don't know I was surprised how fun she felt to play in the trial just slinging rapid fire fireworks arrows at Cryo Abyss mages and bringing their shields down super fast from a safe distance but again they're also giving her absolutely ideal conditions and every trial character feels like a god in comparison to mine. People make her sound like an absolutely appalling bad character that plays like poo poo but it didn't really feel like it to me there. It's not really her fault they stuck her in between a several months sequence of long sought after ultra mega waifu banners like Ayaka, Baal and Sara (soon to include Kokomi and Yae by the looks of things) and she's demonstrably just not as good as those proved to and look to be right out of the gate.

People just make far too much of their very online sort of memes and narratives sometimes and it just doesn't entirely reflect reality and tends to get way the gently caress too overblown where upholding the narrative takes precedence over dispassionate analysis. Usually when people start hyper focusing on narratives is when fandoms kind of turn to wanton complaining and inward on themselves with stupid arguing and petty insults which I really would hope isn't the future of Genshin Impact.

Kale fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 24, 2021

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

AParadox posted:

Maybe its the people from honkai complaining, since they are quite a bit more generous there. For example when I started playing honkai they just reworked an outdated 5* to make her extremely strong, top of the meta, and had an event where you could actually farm her. Whales still wished for her consts and her gear but it felt so good having such a strong character from the get go.

With that said, in that game you compete with other players for most nonevent cyclic rewards, and sometimes even in the event ones, so you need wish for gear and weapons to keep up.

basically every mobile game gives you more pulls/characters than genshin does (which is far more generous than honkai at the same time since release) so this is just a general mobile gamer complain. try checking out r/gachagaming whenever anything happens in genshin, pretty much everyone there has sworn a blood feud over genshin not giving you enough slot machine pulls.

the honaki subreddit is now full of people melting down over characters getting powercrept or beta nerfed since genshin came out. making a mobile game this popular has truly done a disservice to the entire internet in the same way league/dota getting popular did, very bad for people's mental imo.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

No Wave posted:

Throwing away 1200% damage every 20 seconds for a +35% dmg bonus on normals seems bad. I'm biased though, I really think the shim effect is anti-fun and refuse to use it.
Shimenawa looks like it could be good for Yanfei since her normal/charged attacks are doing like 90% of her total damage. Her burst just makes her charged attacks stronger. 49% charged atk bonus at talent level 8 compared to Shimenawa's 50% bonus to normal/charged.

But I think Yanfei's burst does more than the Shimenawa because it lets her do more charged attacks. I haven't tried the set bonus. Shimenawa might be good on phys DPS fischl but pale flame gets an almost identical +18% ATK and +50% physical damage without the energy loss associated with Shimenawa. I dunno, maybe Shimenawa isn't that good. :shrug:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

AParadox posted:

Maybe its the people from honkai complaining, since they are quite a bit more generous there.

Were they though? Admittedly I don't play Honkai so I might be misunderstanding something but https://news.qoo-app.com/en/post/33195 seems to indicate that the 1st anniversary gave about as many pulls as they're giving us.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Radical posted:

basically every mobile game gives you more pulls/characters than genshin does (which is far more generous than honkai at the same time since release) so this is just a general mobile gamer complain. try checking out r/gachagaming whenever anything happens in genshin, pretty much everyone there has sworn a blood feud over genshin not giving you enough slot machine pulls.

the honaki subreddit is now full of people melting down over characters getting powercrept or beta nerfed since genshin came out. making a mobile game this popular has truly done a disservice to the entire internet in the same way league/dota getting popular did, very bad for people's mental imo.
I cant tell how serious it really is. A lot of US game companies are both too responsive to public outcry and ONLY responsive to public outcry so performative complaining is now just this permanent conditioned response to everything. People were writing sobbing essays about how weak their level 60 yoimiya felt five minutes after release, I don't even know what's going on.

Like there are already pre-freakouts that Raiden isnt instantly amazing in every existing comp, could Childe even be released in this messed up environment? What happened over the last year?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 24, 2021

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=results

I don't know if it's the same for others algorithms and search results but for example just searching "Kokomi" in youtube with nothing else of the first 10 results, 5 of them are narrative type poo poo seemingly with no other goal than getting people all twisted up and worried about....stuff. For example one of them that is from today and almost has 400K views already seems to be arguing that because Kokomi's pose in her splash art looks similar to Qiqi's (who I guess is considered bad or something) that means it's a warning sign that Kokomi will be bad.

The other half is seemingly trying to whip people up about how they should pull for her and it just sort of continues like that down the results page and this is for a character whose banner is at least a month out. There's nothing explicitly wrong per se about speculation and analysis, but whipping people right the gently caress up and presenting only two extremes of "be paranoid as gently caress" and "you'd be INSANE not to try to get this character" is literally the kind of stuff that leads to pointless infighting among fanbases.

Things probably shouldn't feel this bloody political I guess is what I'm trying to say and I can't help but continue to figure youtubers are just plain bad for the ever decaying mental health and civility of the gaming scene. Funny cause it didn't really feel quite this way until about 2 weeks out from when 2.0 finally launched.

Radical posted:

I'm kind of tending to agree. Again if people are already getting this loving twisted up and bitchy about some weird poo poo for Genshin before it's 1st anniversary then what's the tone and nature of the fanbase going to be like in year 2 or 3.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Genshin character discourse is some of the worst gaming content on the internet that's supercharged by people scared to waste their rolls. Characters that people have been told to skip: zhongli, childe, ganyu, eula, albedo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

No Wave posted:

Like there are already pre-freakouts that Raiden isnt instantly amazing in every existing comp, could Childe even be released in this messed up environment? What happened over the last year?

I think the Zhongli buff combined with the raw power of Ganyu (and to a lesser extent Hu Tao) just created this unrealistic expectation that every new character has to be incredible and meta-defining or they're TRASH!!! and a slap in the face or something like that.

Power creep can help sell new characters, but it also means that when a new character doesn't accelerate that power growth, a huge segment of the fanbase loses their minds over how "bad" that character is. Mihoyo unfortunately jumped their own power curve with Zhongli and Ganyu and that really messed with future expectations, I think.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

How weird that all of those videos are titled "CLICK THIS CLICK THIS NOT THAT ONE THIS ONE PLEASE I NEED MONEY"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Xiao was quickly powercrept and no one cared because we don't care about the sword art online voicing him

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Skip all characters

never pull

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Kokomi's gonna be fine, I'm calling it. Maybe not quite Kazuha levels of misjudged, but leakwatchers are getting pretty hysterical like she'll be a repeat of OG Zhongli. Which might be correct because he was balanced back then.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I pulled on the Keqing banner and I would do it again, none of you, nor youtube or reddit, can stop me.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Radical posted:

Are we sure this isn't just the normal live service game subreddit behavior? I always felt that genshin impact subreddit was unusually chill compared to what I'm used to, with only this and zhongli release being the most notable exceptions. Especially compared to subreddits like warframe where any change of any magnitude is followed by meltdown or path of exile that straight up lives in constant meltdown that just ranges from endless complains to death threats to streamers and ggg employees.

Or maybe the genshin subreddit was always like this but it was just buried in poo poo art and media?

Magus42 posted:

Were they though? Admittedly I don't play Honkai so I might be misunderstanding something but https://news.qoo-app.com/en/post/33195 seems to indicate that the 1st anniversary gave about as many pulls as they're giving us.

I wasn't playing at that time so yeah, could be. Right now almost any event in honkai will throw a piece of gear at you or parts to get a 4* or even a 5*. So maybe people are comparing the current state of honkai to genshin.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zwiebel posted:

I pulled on the Keqing banner and I would do it again, none of you, nor youtube or reddit, can stop me.

:same:

got my Ning to C6 out of it, worth it

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I only have Kazuha because I was trying to pull a c6 Rosaria and I only have Ayaka because I was trying to pull a c6 Ning. I accept that I only accidentally make the right decisions, and that I will never be in a position where anyone should trust my advice about banners. That having been said I haven't pulled since I got a Sayu on the soon-to-be-leaving banner and I'm excited to dump a full bp + three weeks of welkin blessing + any other event primos' worth of wishes into the next banner.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

We are getting a free 5 star though heh heh (at least for the PS players lols for now)

If I linked my phone account to my PlayStation I wonder if I could get Aloy early. Got the PlayStation sword and glider but the PS glider is locked when I’m on my PC.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Tae posted:

Xiao was quickly powercrept and no one cared because we don't care about the sword art online voicing him
That's not even true. Xiao is always underestimated because most people dont know you can plunge directly on top of enemies to hit them twice and increase single-target damage by 40%. The idea that C0 Hu Tao power creeps C0 Xiao is one of the myths of GI that will never die.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Please don’t let a trial convince you Yoimiya isn’t bad. She is incredibly frustrating. Making bow normals better overall could help but eh.

Actually I just final ascended her and the line for it is amazing nm Yoimiya is perfect.

Also saying honky is more generous than genshin is pretty nuts. You earn 1/7th of a pull from dailies, events give out maybe one pull across hours of gameplay, artifact equivalents are a gacha pull or months of farming. It’s just like not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I’m confident that Kokomi is going to be fine because so far Mihoyo has yet to release a limited banner 5* who isn’t at least “pretty good.”