Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

i own every Bionicle posted:

A splitter and flares make anything look good

you son of a bitch you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I've always had an unreasonable desire for an aztek, and while that may not be entirely my cup of tea, it does look drat good.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

As Nero Danced posted:

I've always had an unreasonable desire for an aztek, and while that may not be entirely my cup of tea, it does look drat good.

I still love all the dumb camping/"outdoors" accessories you could get for them

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

As Nero Danced posted:

I think Breaking Bad brought it to prominence again too. Otherwise it would’ve been swept away with other ugly oddities like the Isuzu Vehicross or whatever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is it really any more ugly than any every other "coupe-SUV" on the market today?

That front end is definitely hideous, but from the side I think it was kind of ahead of its time. I bet if it was sold today and made slightly more normal looking it'd be as popular as anything else on the market.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It was way ahead of it's time and breaking bad only had the Aztek because of the reaction and legacy it had. That legacy also secured that it was never going to be forgotten and was always destined for the "haha what poo poo.....hey remember the Aztek lol.... It's kinda cool when you think about it.....the Aztek is legit cool as hell" remembrance curve. Hate, ironic like to unironic like. We're at the end of that curve and now people openly talk about how they legit like the thing.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 24, 2021

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sab669 posted:

Is it really any more ugly than any every other "coupe-SUV" on the market today?

That front end is definitely hideous, but from the side I think it was kind of ahead of its time. I bet if it was sold today and made slightly more normal looking it'd be as popular as anything else on the market.

Yeah no it would fit in well today. It’d probably do well just by merit of looking unique.

I definitely had that “oh hey there’s that ugliest car ever” and like two seasons in I kinda liked it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sab669 posted:

GM put a Buick badge and grill on the Aztek and it was a massive sales success. 20 years on everyone is still cracking Aztek jokes but no one remembers the Buick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_Rendezvous

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

GM put a Buick badge and grill on the Aztek and it was a massive sales success. 20 years on everyone is still cracking Aztek jokes but no one remembers the Buick.

My friend drives one of those. He loves it for hauling around his kids.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

A splitter and flares make anything look good

This is taking the piss to a whole new level and I love it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hope the drivetrain is completely stock and it's still slow as poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rain Prisk is a guy who does renders so it's just a CG model.

This one exists though and is actually pretty great.

And yeah the Aztek was ugly as poo poo when released but now due to other manufacturers doing the whole "hold my beer!" thing and pulling down the bar in terms of styling it just looks a little awkward. It certainly isn't ocular violence like the Toyota CH-R, a car that's just a baffling array of creases in panels that I've cussed out many times before.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 24, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KakerMix posted:

It was way ahead of it's time and breaking bad only had the Aztek because of the reaction and legacy it had. That legacy also secured that it was never going to be forgotten and was always destined for the "haha what poo poo.....hey remember the Aztek lol.... It's kinda cool when you think about it.....the Aztek is legit cool as hell" remembrance curve. Hate, ironic like to unironic like. We're at the end of that curve and now people openly talk about how they legit like the thing.

Basically Honda copied GM's homework but corrected the errors and we got the Element.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

And all both them were is a Chevy Venture with the front fascia jacked up to look more like an SUV. You can literally see the minivan inner fender slope when you look beneath the hood.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
The only reason the Aztec wouldn’t pass as a 2021 design is because the wheels aren’t enormous enough.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sab669 posted:

Random question - any of you guys have opinions of the Tiguan? My friend got rear ended, and subsequently rear ended the car in front of her. Her Rav4 got totaled and she needs to replace it ASAP.

She's been looking at a bunch of similarly sized SUVs, and to keep it under $15K. She linked me a '15 Tiguan but I don't know much about SUVs :v: I did some cursory searching and didn't find any major known issues with them. She's been wanting to get another Rav4 or a Forester but a bunch of the ones she's looked at has either been sold by the time she gets there or has damage on the history.

The 2015 was still using the same platform as when it was released in 2007 so it felt dated even at the time. There should be better options at the 15k price point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't, really. First, the Miata was faster due to lower weight and I think gearing, and it also didn't have the stupid torque dip, so it makes sense that people didn't complain about it as much.

While of course I want as much powa as possible, forced induction adds a lot of complexity and weight, as does a bigger engine. But you also then have to beef up everything else too, like driveshafts and diffs and clutches and gearboxes (oops) so poo poo doesn't break. Which costs money and weight. Of course if you're modding it you can just boost and send it and then rebuild the drivetrain 10k later but that's not acceptable in a stock car.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

God drat you. Dont make me agree with Doug.
Dont forget to check out....
CARSANDBIDS.COM
CARSANDBIDS.COM
CARSANDBIDS.COM
CARSANDBIDS.COM
CARSANDBIDS.COM

I rag on the Twins but I also feel the same way about the Miata. I think it drives and feels better but yeah about 250-265ish HP and it would be in my garage.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 24, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Franco Caution posted:

God drat you. Dont make me agree with Doug.

D O U G

S C O R E

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The only reason the Aztec wouldn’t pass as a 2021 design is because the wheels aren’t enormous enough.

The Aztek is reborn as the Genesis GV60 for 2022.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Sab669 posted:

Didn't realize there was a "what to buy" thread :v: and yea I know modern stuff can last practically forever, but she doesn't make a lot so even just buying a higher-mileage car that might need rubber stuff replaced sooner than later can be a bit of a big deal for her.

Throwing in another vote for ‘Don’t let your friend buy anything without a Toyota badge, or maybe Honda/Mazda/Subaru’

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Throatwarbler posted:

The grill was the thing most people didn’t like so yeah, that makes sense.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Sab669 posted:

Random question - any of you guys have opinions of the Tiguan? My friend got rear ended, and subsequently rear ended the car in front of her. Her Rav4 got totaled and she needs to replace it ASAP.

She's been looking at a bunch of similarly sized SUVs, and to keep it under $15K. She linked me a '15 Tiguan but I don't know much about SUVs :v: I did some cursory searching and didn't find any major known issues with them. She's been wanting to get another Rav4 or a Forester but a bunch of the ones she's looked at has either been sold by the time she gets there or has damage on the history.

I don't really know what falls into the "Absolutely don't buy those" category other than like a Rogue lol

as an aside, I know the use car market is hosed right now but it's dumb as hell that a 9 year old 100k vehicle is like $13k+ wtf

Of all the cars I drive in a year as rentals, the Tiguan had one of the most noticeable and annoying Start and Stop features/button.
I legit would not buy it for that reason alone.
VW, you are welcome to counter by bringing the Tiquan R to our shores and I will reconsider.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 24, 2021

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

dissss posted:

Sure, but availability isn't the reason diesel is dead for light passenger vehicles.

Even VW and PSA which were about as all in with diesel as possible have conceded.

If VAG hadn't shot themselves in the foot I would probably be driving a GTD right now. Sure, it's an anecdotal data point but I think they were really starting to pick up momentum for a bit there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Franco Caution posted:

Of all the cars I drive in a year as rentals, the Tiguan had one of the most noticeable and annoying Start and Stop features/button.
I legit would not but it for that reason alone.
VW, you are welcome to counter by bringing the Tiquan R to our shores and I will reconsider.

Easily disabled.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Easily disabled.

Do tell. I looked through every menu I could find and didnt see it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't, really. First, the Miata was faster due to lower weight and I think gearing, and it also didn't have the stupid torque dip, so it makes sense that people didn't complain about it as much.

While of course I want as much powa as possible, forced induction adds a lot of complexity and weight, as does a bigger engine. But you also then have to beef up everything else too, like driveshafts and diffs and clutches and gearboxes (oops) so poo poo doesn't break. Which costs money and weight. Of course if you're modding it you can just boost and send it and then rebuild the drivetrain 10k later but that's not acceptable in a stock car.

Yeah it was pretty interesting to see what Mazda beefed up in the MazdaSpeed NB. I believe the Diff and rear axles are specific to Mazdaspeed. It got a stronger 6 speed transmission although that was shared with some LS models of Miata as well. I don't think the brakes are different. It got special darkened headlights of all things. And Mazda pulled it off for $827 increase over the NB. Theory crafting for the 86 twins I bet better brakes and rear diff and axles could be pulled from the WRX line. Too bad about the driveshaft as its almost guaranteed to be a different length.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

The CH-R is fiiiiine

It’s the Veloster that’s an assault on sensibility
It’s a 3 door car!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

wolfs posted:

The CH-R is fiiiiine

It’s the Veloster that’s an assault on sensibility
It’s a 3 door car!

This but the opposite.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Franco Caution posted:

It has a dedicated button by the shifter to disable each drive (not sure if it's persistent, that differs by model, many must be pushed each drive)

Permanent fixes here: https://www.wheelsjoint.com/how-to-permanently-disable-auto-start-stop-on-vw-tiguan/

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Sab669 posted:

The Germans did boxy extremely well. The Japanese did not.

Not true.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

If I had a nickel for every time I've hit my head getting in or out of my family's C-HR I would have almost a dollar. It has the most counterintuitive interior design I've ever seen.

I can often fit more in my Fiesta because the super low roofline on the C-HR ruins the interior space.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Franco Caution posted:

As someone else said, there's an A with a kind of turnover/circle symbol button next to the shifter. That will disable it for the duration that the car is on. To permanently disable, VAGCOM/ODB11 will work. It's annoying in a rental car but it's trivially easy to fix if you own the car.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Sab669 posted:

Couldn't agree less :v:

300ZX is easily the ugliest, or at least most bland, generation Z in my book.
First / second gen RX-7? NO THANKS.
First gen MR-2 is actually cooler than the second one, alright.
I'll take four-gen Supra over second/third gen every single day of the week.
Celica...doesn't interest me at all, actually

What else is there? :thunk:

The 4th gen Supra is a bland blob which looks worse than both the SW MR2 and ST185 Celica, and 3rd Gen Supra (which are all actually 80s cars), not to mention the FD RX-7. The Z31 looks better than the S130 and later S30s. The Z32 (again, 80s car) looks better than every other Z. The first gen RX-7 is a 1970s design, the 2nd gen RX-7 is an extremely attractive car - better looking than the car it knocks off, the 944, even the base models (the base model 944 looks dumpy and weird).

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

having a toggle switch for auto start/stop would actually be really nice, something you could toggle on if you’re sitting in heavy traffic or a drive-thru or whatever then keep off most of the time

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Wheeee posted:

having a toggle switch for auto start/stop would actually be really nice, something you could toggle on if you’re sitting in heavy traffic or a drive-thru or whatever then keep off most of the time

that's functionally what the little button does but backwards

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Frond posted:

The 4th gen Supra is a bland blob which looks worse than both the SW MR2 and ST185 Celica, and 3rd Gen Supra (which are all actually 80s cars), not to mention the FD RX-7. The Z31 looks better than the S130 and later S30s. The Z32 (again, 80s car) looks better than every other Z. The first gen RX-7 is a 1970s design, the 2nd gen RX-7 is an extremely attractive car - better looking than the car it knocks off, the 944, even the base models (the base model 944 looks dumpy and weird).

You're a bland blob :colbert:

Stop/Start stuff - my RS is weird as hell; 99% of the time that 'feature' does not work. The motor stays running all the time. But every now and then it'll activate and I have to hit the button next to the gear selector to disable it. Cannot figure out why sometimes it chooses to do this.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Murgos posted:

If VAG hadn't shot themselves in the foot I would probably be driving a GTD right now. Sure, it's an anecdotal data point but I think they were really starting to pick up momentum for a bit there.

Dieselgate likely killed the Golf wagon in the U.S. The most recent number I could find was that the Golf wagon had an 80% diesel take rate prior to Dieselgate.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godzilla07 posted:

Dieselgate likely killed the Golf wagon in the U.S. The most recent number I could find was that the Golf wagon had an 80% diesel take rate prior to Dieselgate.

it didn't sell all that well even before dieselgate tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Sab669 posted:

Stop/Start stuff

My 2021 TT RS doesn't even have start/stop :smugdog: