Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

like that brony documentary where all the male bronies kept shouting "I'M NOT GAY"

The same one that had a talking head talk about how fuckable they are actually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Willo567 posted:

This might be getting into deep territory, but is there a reason SA in the past used to be so vehemently against anime culture, and mocked anyone who enjoyed it?

like the internet as a whole used to? i distinctly remember an era where being into anime online was taboo.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

verbal enema posted:

Are you kidding?

Did the avatar or the tattoo come first

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

like the internet as a whole used to? i distinctly remember an era where being into anime online was taboo.
this was never really true is the thign, it was in certain circles but internet was fairly mainstream on the internet extremely quickly.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DoubleDonut posted:

Did the avatar or the tattoo come first

av

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

drat. That’s some real commitment to posting

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Endorph posted:

this was never really true is the thign, it was in certain circles but internet was fairly mainstream on the internet extremely quickly.

I agree that internet was on the internet yes

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Also recall that until quite recently there was basically no legitimate way to watch anime so being an anime fan is kinda inherently admitting to illegal activity.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

verbal enema posted:

Are you kidding?

change the thread title to the imgur link

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

It’s kind of a joke these days but I remember seeing the sailor Jupiter “this website is hentai free” image all over the place

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

Also recall that until quite recently there was basically no legitimate way to watch anime so being an anime fan is kinda inherently admitting to illegal activity.
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah that's how you knew to skip someone's Geocities page

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or AngelFire

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The greater internet community, well known for its rejection of piracy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also idk how to tell you this but anime dvds existed and were popular in the early 2000s.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fangz posted:

Toonami was on when i was like 6

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fangz posted:

My Evangelion VHS collection with a whole two episodes per tape weeps

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Arrrr ahoy matey

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Pretend I said "most anime".

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

Depend on where you're from to be honest. The current leaders of Latin America grew on a healthy dose of anime.

It's not illegal to pirate your anime if the government is doing the pirating

https://torrentfreak.com/japanese-govt-intervention-fails-to-stop-mass-dragon-ball-super-piracy-180319/

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Arrrr ahoy matey
oh hi senchou, sorry to hear you're banned now

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fangz posted:

Pretend I said "most anime".

Im going to pretend u didnt post anything at all....

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

trucutru posted:

Depend on where you're from to be honest. The current leaders of Latin America grew on a healthy dose of anime.

https://torrentfreak.com/japanese-govt-intervention-fails-to-stop-mass-dragon-ball-super-piracy-180319/

Would that make them anime privateers?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

homeless snail posted:

oh hi senchou, sorry to hear you're banned now

well gently caress

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ngl im thinking about anime rn

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
which anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

trucutru posted:

and then they officially referenced those mass screenings in the broly movie, lol

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I just wanna watch GJ-bu again but noooooooo its nowhere to be found

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What was the anime where the dude saves the day with a spoon vs massive psychic energy or someshit

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
If you didn't grow up watching anime in realmedia format downloaded using fileshare programs so you could watch badly translated DBZ and Trigun in sub 480P, you have not watched anime.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mulderman posted:

If you didn't grow up watching anime in realmedia format downloaded using fileshare programs so you could watch badly translated DBZ and Trigun in sub 480P, you have not watched anime.

the first anime i truly chose to watch was Ronin Warriors on Fat Tom Toonami

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
The first i lifted off the internet was the english dub for When They Cry

SILLY BOY AHAHAHA

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I watched the usual stuff as a kid like Pokemon and the DiC Sailor Moon but my first proper "oh anime is a thing" was the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist, watching it with subtitles and no sound on Google Video in the school library.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Oh im sorry i forgot about motherfucking HAMTARO

i had all the lil hamster's profiles printed out in my room on my walls lmao

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Get a hamtaro tattoo

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My internet connection was too crappy to download whole episodes. So for me it was real media anime openings.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

its really funny in the context of like you said zoomers not giving a poo poo. dudes who just joined big nfl teams talk about hunterxhunter and poo poo lol
also all the olympic athletes that made anime references on the podium and stuff

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I wanted to be a magical girl when I was a kid

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Namtab posted:

Get a hamtaro tattoo

Post one and i will im not kidding

Post a character from hamtaro and i will get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

One of the first proper anime I watched as a kid was Ergo Proxy. Made it about halfway through and got bored.