Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Slavvy posted:

They are as close to a literal three wheeled tractor as it's possible to get, for better and worse. I've worked on a couple and they are exactly like the various ladas - they get constantly criticized for being "poo poo" but when you actually examine the hardware and put aside your biases you find they're a very good machine built to requirements nobody in western countries has. You just have to put aside what marketing has taught you is cool and good. I enjoyed the reverse gear and every screw being flathead.

I really want to work on an actual soviet built bike, like a dnepr for example, just to see what pre-capitalist manufacturing looks like on a nitty gritty scale.

Friend of mine bought a Dnepr when she moved to Richmond from L.A. a few years ago and she didn't want to buy a car. It made it through the snow OK, though it went sideways a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Buy your friend an account

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

No I genuinely liked it. The whole bike was designed in a way that you could basically do a roadside engine rebuild with a handful of tools. I like vehicles that are just completely utilitarian and don't give any fucks about looking cool or being marketable or whatever the gently caress. Just a tool for a job, the job being drunkenly weaving across the steppe for decades on end.
I worked on one that blew some bearings in its final drive at like 15k miles. I'm not sure I've ever seen a final drive fail in all the dozens of Guzzis and BMWs I've worked on, aside from seal leaks.

I worked on one which had a stamped steel bracket attaching the brake caliper to the front end which had bent laterally over time because [I think] it wasn't heat treated and the caliper pulls slightly off axis from the bracket. The brake pads were worn at a visible angle as a result.

PeterCat posted:

Friend of mine bought a Dnepr when she moved to Richmond from L.A. a few years ago and she didn't want to buy a car. It made it through the snow OK, though it went sideways a few times.
Is that M.S.? How do you know her? I also thought she sold the Dnepr on the east coast, unless she bought another one, which I guess might be the kind of thing she'd do.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 25, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I worked on one that blew some bearings in its final drive at like 15k miles. I'm not sure I've ever seen a final drive fail in all the dozens of Guzzis and BMWs I've worked on, aside from seal leaks.

I worked on one which had a stamped steel bracket attaching the brake caliper to the front end which had bent laterally over time because [I think] it wasn't heat treated and the caliper pulls slightly off axis from the bracket. The brake pads were worn at a visible angle as a result.

Is that M.S.? How do you know her? I also thought she sold the Dnepr on the east coast, unless she bought another one, which I guess might be the kind of thing she'd do.

Yeah these are issues of manufacture, not design. The guy on the heat treat rig was drunk, the guy putting the final drive together was shooting up krokodil. This is part of the reason I want to get my hands on an OG USSR built one.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Here's a an old adage I just made up: if it's built so you can repair it on the side of the road, it's because you're going to need to repair it on the side of the road.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Here's a an old adage I just made up: if it's built so you can repair it on the side of the road, it's because you're going to need to repair it on the side of the road.

Ok but Toyotas exist

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That is! It's kind of an old picture, and I haven't spoken with her in a while. But it seemed on point and I was super impressed with her choices. We were online acquaintances and briefly IRL.

I keep running into odd connections with her. I went and saw gangsta grass in Iowa City and one of their members had a guitar strap that she had made.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 25, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Which one of you goons is gonna buy this

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-honda-cbx-super-sport-8/

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I really want an Ural or Dnepr, but without side car.

Turns out, those are very rare because the factory front suspension isn't really suitable for riding without side car, causing it to do all kinds of weird things in corners.
There are brand new ones available without side car, but those also are styled differently, which is not my thing.

Maybe some day...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
There's two different front end suspensions available on the Dnepr and they swap easily. Opt for the overhead valve model, they're a bit better.

I almost bought one when I was living in Ukraine... they're like $200 there.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I originally planned to have my sidecar rig be swap able, but it's a real pain in the rear end to remove and reattach, and there's no good spot for the battery on the standalone bike. Plus I can't find a stand worth a drat

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I figured I'd disconnect my sidecar and ride the bike by itself every now and then - it's just two fasteners and a cable to unplug - but I've done it all of once. Just easier to get on a different bike.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

cursedshitbox posted:

There's two different front end suspensions available on the Dnepr and they swap easily. Opt for the overhead valve model, they're a bit better.

I almost bought one when I was living in Ukraine... they're like $200 there.

I was gonna say 'for that money i can easily get a plane to ukraine and ride back' but i figure that it's too likely that at multiple points in the 1500ish km the bike will break down and everything will just become a shitshow.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

LimaBiker posted:

I was gonna say 'for that money i can easily get a plane to ukraine and ride back' but i figure that it's too likely that at multiple points in the 1500ish km the bike will break down and everything will just become a shitshow.

You don't buy a Ural/Dpner because you want a bike that's going to run perfectly for a while

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Retro Futurist posted:

You don't buy a Ural/Dpner because you want a bike that's going to run perfectly for a while

Yup. While living there I had my doubts of making one work with any regularity at all... let alone dragging one across Europe.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't understand how Ural gets away with starting at $17k. At least a Royal Enfield is dirt cheap.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Deeters posted:

I don't understand how Ural gets away with starting at $17k. At least a Royal Enfield is dirt cheap.

Hipster market. I distinctly remember a time many years ago when they were closer to $5k. Then, a few years after the Ducati Scrambler came out and hipsterbikes exploded as a market segment, a whole bunch of hipsters "discovered" Ural. Then Ural got a lot of press coverage from that. From there, it got articles in Bloomberg, Forbes and Financial Times in the "what you should buy with your money" sections, talking about how it's ~authentic~ it is and how fashionable and how you will impress people in California by riding it and that you should buy it instead of the Ducati Scrambler. Note that those articles never talked about other scramblery bikes, from what I recall, they were all directly "You should buy an Ural instead of a Ducati".

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
The place near me is doing a Kawasaki demo day. I've never ridden any kind of sport bike, so I'm looking forward to checking out the Ninja.

Anything on this list a "must ride"?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

For me, in order of interest, I'd look at the Ninja 400, KLX300SM, Z900RS, and ZX-6R.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Deeters posted:

I am going to get a bike with a sidecar. I wanted a Ural buuuut all new sidecar rigs have to be on the left in the UK now and Ural doesn't do that.

So maybe a Royal Enfield with a Watsonian Squire.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

The place near me is doing a Kawasaki demo day. I've never ridden any kind of sport bike, so I'm looking forward to checking out the Ninja.

The 1000sx is an unassuming dad bike but probably the functionally fastest one on that list, and also among the most fun.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

Z900RS.

Then ask them "Z400RS when?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Oh gently caress yeah :stare:

I'd also like to give the w800 a whirl, just to see what the bike that's more Bonneville than the Bonneville is like

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Steakandchips posted:

Z900RS.

I'm real annoyed that they seem to be doing a Z650RS first/instead. Nobody wants a 650! Anybody who can ride one would just get the 900!

Phy posted:

Oh gently caress yeah :stare:

I'd also like to give the w800 a whirl, just to see what the bike that's more Bonneville than the Bonneville is like

Heavier on paper but much easier to handle/push around at a stop compared to the bonnie. Also feels really small, like a 250 class, but big enough for comfortable two-up riding.

Really the best thing about it is that people routinely mistake it for a genuine classic; everyone who walks up to ask me about mine, their first question is always how old it is.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 26, 2021

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Strife posted:

Nice, I've done a couple of these and they're always well ran. Last one they didn't let us go on the highway though, so never really got to bang through all the gears on everything.

Get there early if you want to try out the ZX-6R, or be prepared to wait and be aggressive about getting back over to the signup booth after the ride. If you've never done any kind of sport bike that would be a great introduction to the supersports, and you should know pretty quick if you hate it or not!

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
After seeing the Kawasaki demo day thing I checked if they're doing anything in my area and found out there's an event later on this year with a pretty solid lineup (https://motorcycleshows.com/content/street-demo-rides) coming my way. I'm a little sad that Honda won't be at my location, but as a newer rider I'm excited for the chance to try out a lot of bikes.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You gotta try the 300SM and tell us how it is.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I know we joke about Yamaha making pianos and all manner of other musical instruments, but am I the last person to know they make e-bikes, and apparently have for a long-rear end time?

https://www.yamahabicycles.com/

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Spotting a KTM bicycle threw me for a loop but are apparently fairly common in Europe.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

numberoneposter posted:

Spotting a KTM bicycle threw me for a loop but are apparently fairly common in Europe.

Also the X-BOW

https://www.ktm.com/de-ch/X-BOW/models.html

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Yeah totally common in Europe. Everyone drives an XBOW here.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

busalover posted:

Yeah totally common in Europe. Everyone drives an XBOW here.

That's why we have such good air quality, everyone has to get public transport most of the time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

I know we joke about Yamaha making pianos and all manner of other musical instruments, but am I the last person to know they make e-bikes, and apparently have for a long-rear end time?

https://www.yamahabicycles.com/

I saw one for the first time the other day too and was really surprised but I guess it totally makes sense.

I like that they have the electric motor arranged to look like a motorcycle engine. That’s what it looks like to me anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Of course it's blue.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
KTM bikes are pretty disconnected from the motorcycle business, there is also 0 overlap between shops.

But yeah, the pushbikes are everywhere and are regarded as just generally good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I saw one for the first time the other day too and was really surprised but I guess it totally makes sense.

I like that they have the electric motor arranged to look like a motorcycle engine. That’s what it looks like to me anyway.

It definitely does. And look! A bicycle suspension linkage designed by people who know what they're doing!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the down tube even has a twin-spar thing going on with the battery pack lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The lower part of the swingarm also screams R1.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It definitely does. And look! A bicycle suspension linkage designed by people who know what they're doing!

It looks like a horst link design, which is one of the several options that offer certain tuning benefits. If you're curious about mountain bike suspension design, here's a decent run down:

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/the-ultimate-guide-to-mountain-bike-rear-suspension-systems/

I doubt yamaha did anywhere near the amount of research and trail testing that Specialized/Trek/Giant have on their e mountain bikes. So i'd rather have a emtb designed by a bicycle company, rather than a side project for a motorcycle company. The geometry (stack and height) is not as modern i think and the lack of sizes is also a downside unless you're averaged sized. The spec is what you'd expect for under 5k aluminum emtb. It's a little budget, which you might notice if you're really taking it own some gnarly terrain. I really like that they built their own motor and I think yamaha is involved with supplying toyota with electric motors for cars, so a positive in my eyes. This is a first attempt for them, so i'm sure they will evolve this over time, but maybe not fast enough since it's a side project.

It's just not going to be as good as the top emtb from bicycle manufacturers if you ride them side by side, even if you're a regular joe. But I'm always a fan of lower cost options being available.

Motorcycle stuff isn't always directly applicable to bicycles. Look at upside down forks for instance. FOX had one on the market ($$$$). The stiffness isn't there on single crown forks, but maybe we'll see it again on double crown downhill forks though.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah that's fair.

With USD's I don't see them having any value on a bike that can't and doesn't need to do meaningful amounts of trail braking, conventional forks are definitely lighter all things being equal, so it makes sense they haven't really been adopted. I see they're loving around with alternative front ends which supports the assertion someone here made that bicycles on the cutting edge are motorbikes from twenty years ago.