Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

i'm using the beta and resources still seem really low? if there was oil and uranium in the game i just did, it was wholly on the new world continent

The wording implied they reduced amount of games with low or non-existent end-game resources. I understood that they did not make it impossible for the game to to spawn with no or low resources. Just less likely (how much?) than before.

If there are any territories on ocean with islands, search them completely too. I've found several oil from sea at the map border, next to some tiny 2-3 hex island.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Hu(ma)nkind

There are two other 4-stacks that my guys are sitting on.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I want to play a game as the huns but I don't want to play until they fix that independent nation influence bug, which it seems like they are ignoring! I've not had any issues with resources but that bug is seriously game breaking.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm reminded of the goon who had his 5 year old daughter play civ and who kept building mounted units, and when asked why said "because horses are important"

:kimchi: and :black101:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm playing on the beta and something that I've noticed is that civics scale insanely fast, as does the cost of attaching cities. I have a useless 20~ pop city that I just can't do poo poo because I want to attach it but it costs 50k!!!! influence do. :psyduck: Also just enacting some civics that before had a cost of like 2k is 20k. Weird poo poo going on.

Thought I did find out that the harbor civs are amazing if you set up to exploit them. With mostly coastal cities you can get basically 4 harbors per territory. Normal harbor, Cothon, Whatever the Norse one is called, and then another harbor. Going the food based faith stuff this basically solves food for the entire game for you. It surprised the hell out of me for how effective it is.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 25, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I still see the horde yurt icon as a circus tent. Makes invasions very jolly.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eimi posted:

Thought I did find out that the harbor civs are amazing if you set up to exploit them. With mostly coastal cities you can get basically 4 harbors per territory. Normal harbor, Cothon, Whatever the Norse one is called, and then another harbor. Going the food based faith stuff this basically solves food for the entire game for you. It surprised the hell out of me for how effective it is.

I hope they lean into "everything is broken, build your own busted combo!" fully with future content, it's increasingly the part of the game I like the most

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I do wish they'd fix the calendar, though. I like that I can end the game by turn 140, but not the fact that it calls that 500 BC or whatever.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I learned that star thresholds are fixed per era and not based off of your end-of-era score. So you can start up an era and already have earned stars.

I started my current game out intending to be a peaceful trade empire, and now I find myself first-picking Russia in the Industrial Age. I feel like Russia's probably not picked very often, and certainly not first picked very often, but let me assure you, this is not the behavior of a peaceful country.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Eimi posted:

I'm playing on the beta and something that I've noticed is that civics scale insanely fast, as does the cost of attaching cities. I have a useless 20~ pop city that I just can't do poo poo because I want to attach it but it costs 50k!!!! influence do. :psyduck: Also just enacting some civics that before had a cost of like 2k is 20k. Weird poo poo going on.

Just raze its Main Plaza and put an outpost there the turn after.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

How do you increase max population in your cities?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How do you increase max population in your cities?

maker/market/farmer districts increase it by 1 and there are several infrastructure upgrades that add to it too. the population cap is the amount of "slots" you have for the various jobs, so if an upgrade says something like "adds 2 worker slots" that means +2 max population.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

victrix posted:

I hope they lean into "everything is broken, build your own busted combo!" fully with future content, it's increasingly the part of the game I like the most

That is kind of amplitude's modus operandi, I really hope they don't do too much in the way of balancing to placate people who like that sort of thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Your population can go over the "max" anyway, they're just unemployed and useless until you build more jobs for them.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
You can also build hamlets, one per territory, that increase slots +1 per resource. If it isn't clear, your city pop cap is the amount of open slots per resource i.e. workers/farmers/researchers etc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

Your population can go over the "max" anyway, they're just unemployed and useless until you build more jobs for them.
it's worse, every "person" over the population limit eats 10x the normal amount of food

so if, like me, you make way too much food and explode your population way over the limit..... your cities will constantly complain about starving. because you made too much food :negative:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jeza posted:

You can also build hamlets, one per territory, that increase slots +1 per resource. If it isn't clear, your city pop cap is the amount of open slots per resource i.e. workers/farmers/researchers etc.

Hamlets are doubly good because you can build them detached from the rest of your districts, meaning that they can exploit way more new territory at once.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Your Computer posted:

it's worse, every "person" over the population limit eats 10x the normal amount of food

so if, like me, you make way too much food and explode your population way over the limit..... your cities will constantly complain about starving. because you made too much food :negative:

They really really need to add a way to funnel population from one city to another. Building and disbanding military units is stupid clunky.

That and the infrastructure upgrades not having a retroactive buildable are my two city management gripes rn.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

victrix posted:

That and the infrastructure upgrades not having a retroactive buildable are my two city management gripes rn.

Hang on, what do you mean by that one?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tree Bucket posted:

Hang on, what do you mean by that one?

So later in the game you get settler units who build cities that come with all the infrastructure buildings pre-built. This means a newly-settled city is often better than one you settled back in the dawn of time. It'd be good if there was some kind of buildable item you could build once you get those settler units that can bring your old cities up to the level of the newly-settled ones.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

victrix posted:

They really really need to add a way to funnel population from one city to another. Building and disbanding military units is stupid clunky.

It's so frustrating the settle only eats one population but creates 3. I would love it if I could just hive 20 pops off my biggest city and dump them on a new continent.

There also an implication of migration with some mechanics so opefully they will expand on it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Gort posted:

So later in the game you get settler units who build cities that come with all the infrastructure buildings pre-built. This means a newly-settled city is often better than one you settled back in the dawn of time. It'd be good if there was some kind of buildable item you could build once you get those settler units that can bring your old cities up to the level of the newly-settled ones.

It has nothing to do with the settlers it's a passive upgrade to all new cities regardless of how they're founded.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Once you get that settler tech, you can found a city (which will have all the infrastructure), merge with an already existing city, split them up again, and now the old city will have all infrastructure upgrades too.

It's probably not working as intended, and costs influence, but it gives you free infrastructure.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Eimi posted:

A decent spot on the Phoenician one is an easy +10 food +10 gold. You can just settle in the middle of coastal forests and not worry about food at all.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

victrix posted:

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's so frustrating the settle only eats one population but creates 3.

Dare I ask what happens if you keep shuttling those 2 extra pop back to the origin city and building more settlers in some sort of perpetual growth machine

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Clarste posted:

It has nothing to do with the settlers it's a passive upgrade to all new cities regardless of how they're founded.
It's obvious that there's _some_ intention of "obsolence" in the sense that a thing becomes part of the background noise and stops being a dedicated thing.

I just hope that they complete that idea to cover your existing cities, too. I thought one Civ did that already?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Deltasquid posted:

Once you get that settler tech, you can found a city (which will have all the infrastructure), merge with an already existing city, split them up again, and now the old city will have all infrastructure upgrades too.

It's probably not working as intended, and costs influence, but it gives you free infrastructure.

...huh. And I guess Influence is pretty abundant by that point, too!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I like most of this game's core design more than I like Civ 6 and maybe even Civ 5, but I'm not quite sold on cultures changing every era thing. It's somewhat fun, I suppose, and I'm glad they tried it but I hope they try something else in the inevitable sequel.

What I'd personally do is let players pick a culture, but make it mostly cosmetic. If you pick France, you get Napoleon as the figurehead (and his personality if the AI picks France) and the French artstyle for units and cities, but no mechanical differences.

Instead you'd pick national traits during the game. If they just wanted to copy-paste the mechanic from this game, they could just rename the traits so that, for example, the Egyptians are now the Monument Builders and the Harrapans are the Flood Farmers and the civilizations in game would progress from, say, France the Monument Builders to France the Legion Raisers to France the Horde, etc.

Or you'd just have two separate talent trees, one for civics which you can change depending on the situation and one for 'national character' where you pick permanent options based on what you've had to deal with.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I really wish they'd identify other players mainly by their avatar or some other static feature. It's still weird to be like, "OK, got the Nubians to the south, we get on OK" and then next age they're the Carthaginians and nobody sent you a memo.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

they need an "equilibrium" or "stagnation" state for cities so they don't constantly trigger starvation warnings every turn

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Is there some way to configure those notifications?
In the last 100 rounds or whatever I couldn't care about population gains or losses; their notifications became spam.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002
Can someone explain to me what the civic Physical Punishment does?

Physical Punishment (+4 Tradition) - +100% delay between two crisis Independent People spawn on all Cities

I know those words but that civic makes no sense.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think it refers to the rebel stacks that spawn when a city has low stability for too long. So, it increases the timer tiil they appear, gives you more time to rectify the situation.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Oh drat, the outposts dont come with the city when you demand them during a war...

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Megazver posted:

Just raze its Main Plaza and put an outpost there the turn after.

Wouldn't that kill all the pop/destroy all it's districts? So I guess just set that city to making military units til it's basically empty and then do that to resettle?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

It won't destroy the districts but population and infrastructure disappears yeah.

That said it's a pretty good way of crippling the enemy especially later on when having to build population up from zero is more painful.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hit the 300 turn cap in the walkthrough without ever seeing the last era :(

Is there a way to turn off turn cap or does setting the game to never ending also make every build/research super long too?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

pro starcraft loser posted:

Hit the 300 turn cap in the walkthrough without ever seeing the last era :(

Is there a way to turn off turn cap or does setting the game to never ending also make every build/research super long too?

You can just keep going after the cap til you're satisfied with your goals but the game actually plays pretty well on Endless, it doesn't take too long to do stuff still.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

They just have to drastically reduce numbers on everything, you just scale waaayyyy too much even after the first couple eras.

Like barely beyond ancient era and it’s 1 turn per district just smashing them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Gort posted:

I really wish they'd identify other players mainly by their avatar or some other static feature. It's still weird to be like, "OK, got the Nubians to the south, we get on OK" and then next age they're the Carthaginians and nobody sent you a memo.

hats and crowns feel like a good way to go with this.