Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Please make a separate thread to detail all of this. Not because this isn't an appropriate spot, but because I'm sure we would all love to see more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
damm nice work megabound, it's good to see pure mechanical devices get the love they deserve.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Slugworth posted:

Please make a separate thread to detail all of this. Not because this isn't an appropriate spot, but because I'm sure we would all love to see more.

This is a great idea, I've started a Restoration and Repair thread cause I also wanna see what everyone else is fixing.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

Megabound posted:

This is a great idea, I've started a Restoration and Repair thread cause I also wanna see what everyone else is fixing.

I'll try to pop in there every once in awhile, I've done antique repair and restoration for 20 years.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Mission statement:
Take a large shopping trip.home under my own power

Progress
$50 children's trailer

A trip or two down to the hardware store, I was buying hardware

Bit and brace

Lick of paint

A tenon saw and a buncha zipties

Voila

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I love the divided crate for the corner braces, very clever re-use!

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

devmd01 posted:

I love the divided crate for the corner braces, very clever re-use!
Thanks, I didn't want to stuff about with screws and fasteners, wanted it to be strong and not have to screw into end grain

Its all zipties and hope, but we shall see about grocery hauling later on this week

https://youtu.be/UB8tYBqv-m4

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Thats a fine looking cart.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jestery posted:

Mission statement:
Take a large shopping trip.home under my own power

Progress
$50 children's trailer

A trip or two down to the hardware store, I was buying hardware

Bit and brace

Lick of paint

A tenon saw and a buncha zipties

Voila

out of pure curiosity, how much more room do you have with that cart compared to the original trailer you converted?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Maybe less but now it won't look weird hauling non kids in a kid hauler anymore at least. :)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Definitely more, the kids Trailer didn't have a front barrier and the back rest came in half way cutting cargo space in half, bit of a semantic thing with what usable space *is*. And a bit of a Taoist argument for how utility is defined by the barriers

Im not averse to just using something as is, but i would be struggling to put one shopping bag in the kid carrier securely

Jestery fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 24, 2021

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
A big ole wind came through and knocked over some trees.

Screwed a board on them to act as a guide and hit them with my chainsaw.

Pile of squarish wood.

Arranged into a triangle shape.

With solar panels on them. Now there's more electricity.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Got an open-ended commission for a nature-ey window screen so I did all the invasives and nuisance species of the region. Took like two weeks to make and a year to install, cause I cut it about 1/16" too wide for the frame

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Holy crap that's amazing

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Little follow up

Had to pick up a package today, knew it was going to be bulky

Slotted it in

Genuinely could not have made a better fit had I been trying

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I finished my bar I was building last night.

Here's the original plan.

The first picture I have of the construction was when I made the raised panel doors.

Here they are installed.

With the light for the wine rack on.

Mostly done except the baseboard.

Swapped out the drawer fronts to something that would match the doors. The bitch was finding 16" wide red oak.

Drawer fronts installed.

I then had a guy come in and replace the window with a bay window.

I mounted the top shelf for the inordinate amount of pint glasses I've collected over the years. I did the smaller shelves a couple of weeks ago.

I'm really pleased with how well it turned out.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 25, 2021

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
I have some build pictures, but I doubt they're all that interesting.

Here, I built a pool deck. It still needs the lattice put on the side and a door in the back, but otherwise it's done and fully functional.

I'm never digging post holes by hand again. It completely hosed up my elbows, and after them still hurting just as much two months later my doc put me on prednisone. yay.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

DreadLlama posted:

A big ole wind came through and knocked over some trees.

Screwed a board on them to act as a guide and hit them with my chainsaw.

Pile of squarish wood.

Arranged into a triangle shape.

With solar panels on them. Now there's more electricity.

This is some hard-livin' frontier stuff and I'm here for it.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I'm really pleased with how well it turned out.

Nice work! This is awesome!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Jestery posted:

Little follow up

Had to pick up a package today, knew it was going to be bulky

Slotted it in

Genuinely could not have made a better fit had I been trying

Your next project should be affixing a grill to it :v:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Been having success and knocking off a few bike related projects , I've had more access to my workplaces workshop

This is less detailed a build log, but a cool idea none-the-less

A flat panel ziptied to the rear carrier

And some knobs with a carriage bolt interface, and wingnut fasteners

End goal being able to securely attach and change baskets and vessels(?) easily

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

canyoneer posted:

This is some hard-livin' frontier stuff and I'm here for it.

Thank you. It wasn't all brute force. The Pythagorean theorem was invoked.

The bigger triangle was easier because the hypotenuse just called for an entire tree. The smaller one is one log sawn in half diagonally.

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

I made a portable propane fire pit that can run off the little 1 lb cans

Thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3978174

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That's cool as poo poo! Thanks for the step-by-step.

Big fan of the (Harbor Freight?) log carrying case with foam :discourse:

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

Thanks! Yeah, it feels very spy movie with the case haha

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Speaking of cases, here's an on-and-off project I finally completed:

I've posted them in other threads, but I make linocut prints of movie monsters hanging around landmarks in Austin, TX. I don't really know why, but I enjoy making them -- there's Godzilla on Sixth Street, King Kong on Frost Tower, Stay Puft Marshmallow Man on Congress Avenue. I have plans to make more but... life gets in the way, man.

Anyway, I wanted a way to store/display these prints in a way that would continue the theme. After watching too much Adam Savage YouTube videos during the lockdown, I thought of a military unit tasked with monitoring kaiju, with my prints acting as the photographs. This would be a normal thing in that universe ("well yes, of course we monitor kaiju"), located roughly in that 50s/60s sweet spot of monster movies. I wanted to come up with a box that would work in that scenario and this is what I ended up with:

https://i.imgur.com/ps9N32R.mp4

The prints you see are my old proofs and the paper size is too small for the box, but it's all I have on hand. I'll print more on larger paper, maybe store them in individual plastic sleeves.

I started making the box with great care and precision, until it was pointed out to me that 1950s army gear wouldn't exactly be high-end. The project got easier after that :v:

Short build album here.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Trabant posted:

Speaking of cases, here's an on-and-off project I finally completed:

I've posted them in other threads, but I make linocut prints of movie monsters hanging around landmarks in Austin, TX. I don't really know why, but I enjoy making them -- there's Godzilla on Sixth Street, King Kong on Frost Tower, Stay Puft Marshmallow Man on Congress Avenue. I have plans to make more but... life gets in the way, man.

Anyway, I wanted a way to store/display these prints in a way that would continue the theme. After watching too much Adam Savage YouTube videos during the lockdown, I thought of a military unit tasked with monitoring kaiju, with my prints acting as the photographs. This would be a normal thing in that universe ("well yes, of course we monitor kaiju"), located roughly in that 50s/60s sweet spot of monster movies. I wanted to come up with a box that would work in that scenario and this is what I ended up with:

https://i.imgur.com/ps9N32R.mp4

The prints you see are my old proofs and the paper size is too small for the box, but it's all I have on hand. I'll print more on larger paper, maybe store them in individual plastic sleeves.

I started making the box with great care and precision, until it was pointed out to me that 1950s army gear wouldn't exactly be high-end. The project got easier after that :v:

Short build album here.

There are great! Awesome display case too. Do you sell prints?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you :)

I don't sell prints -- prepared to, life got in the way, hope to some day -- but I'm happy to send them to goons free of charge. Keep in mind it takes me forever to get around to printing due to pretty limited space, so it might take weeks/months for them to show up. Hell, I promised one to a goon and it's been so long he probably forgot about it :negative:

That said, if you're still interested in any of them, drop me a PM and I'll (eventually) send out the ones you like.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I mean this in the best possible way: that's such a weird, niche, specific hobby and project and I'm totally in love with it. I'm kinda jealous because I've been looking for something weird like that to sink my teeth in and haven't found it yet.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:3:

I really don't know where it all came from for me, so all I can suggest is to try whatever (accessible, non-ruinously-expensive) stuff pops into your head. Something might stick without you expecting it.

Ah hell, the more I talk about these the more I'm itching to do the rest I had planned. The Kraken in Town Lake. King Ghidorah on the old power plant. 50-foot Woman at the Capitol. Audrey II... somewhere. So many choices!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Trabant posted:

:3:

I really don't know where it all came from for me, so all I can suggest is to try whatever (accessible, non-ruinously-expensive) stuff pops into your head. Something might stick without you expecting it.

Ah hell, the more I talk about these the more I'm itching to do the rest I had planned. The Kraken in Town Lake. King Ghidorah on the old power plant. 50-foot Woman at the Capitol. Audrey II... somewhere. So many choices!

I'll definitely buy at least one six pack (collection?) of what you just suggested, probably three

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I'm making some dml speakers, as described in that Tech Ingredients video. These are "prototypes" aka the ones I put in my garage after making a ton of mistakes so the ones I put in my living room can be better.

XPS is not a good material to work in. It's extremely fragile, enough for paint triangles to pierce the surface under its own weight. It's porous enough that any water based spray paint / ink will soak right in. It's slightly dissolved by the solvents in rattle cans, so can't prime/seal/paint with those. And it usually comes in a pink or green that is... challenging to design around unless painted. Painting probably also affects the sound but I won't be able to measure it.

The exciters come in the mail later this week. I'm really hoping the quality difference between xps and something like plywood is overstated because I would definitely rather use a material like that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Serenade posted:

I'm making some dml speakers, as described in that Tech Ingredients video. These are "prototypes" aka the ones I put in my garage after making a ton of mistakes so the ones I put in my living room can be better.

XPS is not a good material to work in. It's extremely fragile, enough for paint triangles to pierce the surface under its own weight. It's porous enough that any water based spray paint / ink will soak right in. It's slightly dissolved by the solvents in rattle cans, so can't prime/seal/paint with those. And it usually comes in a pink or green that is... challenging to design around unless painted. Painting probably also affects the sound but I won't be able to measure it.

The exciters come in the mail later this week. I'm really hoping the quality difference between xps and something like plywood is overstated because I would definitely rather use a material like that.

Did you use a hot wire knife to cut the polystyrene?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

BigFactory posted:

Did you use a hot wire knife to cut the polystyrene?

Nah, just used a small handsaw for the rough shape then dialed it in with some 60 grit sandpaper. Didn't know there was a dedicated tool for cutting it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Serenade posted:

Nah, just used a small handsaw for the rough shape then dialed it in with some 60 grit sandpaper. Didn't know there was a dedicated tool for cutting it.

Looks like a fun project. Are you using 4 ohm or 8 ohm exciters?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

first try at a resin pour. I'm kinda eh on how it looks vs. the wood inlay, but keeping that design from tearing out was a pain and I'd spent too long cleaning it up to just throw it away, dammit

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

first try at a resin pour. I'm kinda eh on how it looks vs. the wood inlay, but keeping that design from tearing out was a pain and I'd spent too long cleaning it up to just throw it away, dammit

Looking at some of the details on that last one, I noticed that all of the bleeding out from the fill areas follows the grain (i.e. is vertical in that picture).
It makes me wonder if you could reduce that by heavily clamping the piece perpendicular to the grain before pouring to compress the parallel fibers in the wood.

They both look neat (though I'm colorblind and I'm not sure if I'm seeing the...greens?....correctly in the non-black resin).
Did you do it with a CNC or hand carve?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Well that's a better idea, I was going to try using ground-up charcoal next since I've used that as a non-bleeding dye for glue in the past. This was all cut on a laser cutter, I don't have anything like the kind of patience or coordination it'd take to do that by hand.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 16, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I guess maybe a cross post is in order. I’m pretty jazzed about how fast this all came together, definitely a record for me.

Thanks, plumbing thread!

Got the gross bastard off the wall:

It was mounted to this doubled up plywood, six screws attaching it to one stud with variable spacing. I don’t loving know.

The plywood base was liquid nailed to the drywall because ????????????? but I don’t care because it was all getting opened up anyhow.

Sloping drain pipes down from fixtures is for chumps. The only slip in there would let the urinal end go lower, this was it at the top. 😬

Shortly after this pic, I realized the rest had to open up as well. Yeehaw!

Called a plumber out because I don’t like to mess with plumbing that’ll be sealed up behind a wall. Water damage is an insidious bastard. Plus, he has the $500 tool. Old drain capped, new drain being run to where the sink was, and sloped correctly. Old sink water lines removed, new water lines on their way.

New sink water lines. Fortunately, we had hot and cold main lines right there. Fortuitous! And we could use the cold tap that was previously for the piss trough.

A few scraps from opening, and a few new pieces to close it all back in.

Initial mud up to see how much I was going to have to blend.

Textured, painted. The paint is actually a slight rose grey that we have elsewhere in the house, it’s easy on the eyes. Oh, and a new light. The old boob light filled with CFLs was not doing anyone any favors. Also not my best drywall blend job, but I’m going to a) put a sheet of stainless as a giant backsplash in the corner behind the new sink, and b) cover the walls in shelves. It’s a utility closet now, I’m not at all worried about drywall perfection on this one. I’ll be tiling the floor this weekend, but I got antsy and hooked up the sink we’ll be using in there for now. Might replace it at some point, might not. It was gratis from a friend.

In the other corner will be going this absurd spaceship I call the CatShitRoboMax9000. It hooks directly into the drain via a dishwasher tailpiece and cleans itself for like six months at a whack.

All in all a huge success! I guess technically we went from a half bath to something less, but nobody was kidding themselves about the urinal, and in 40 years when I decide to sell the place, I don’t think anyone will lament its passing pissing.

Certainly the most amazing part of this is that I went from “how do I turn off the urinal” to “okay, ready for tile” in roughly three days. Didn’t know that was possible. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
Re: In-home urinal.

When I was in middle school one of the "electives" (we were forced to take all of them but they rotated each 6 weeks unlike normal courses) required us to lay out a house for some reason.
Cue me, who actually cooked family meals regularly at that age, designing a house with a urinal in the kitchen as a time-saving measure, and putting it next to the stove so I could keep an eye on anything that was on an active burner. :gonk:

Also, I love the idea of one of your cats creepin' on the other cat's duce Spiderman kiss style.