Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Memnaelar posted:

Any strong feelings on Black Rose Wars? I see their new stand-alone Rebirth is on KS right now and I'm considering grabbing that and even looking at grabbing an All-In from the original game. Would love to hear other goons' thoughts.

I too am interested in goon thoughts on this. Haven't played it, but FYI, Funagain games is selling the kickstarter core box from the first campaign for half price ($50). It includes all the minis which aren't in the retail version, however it doesn't include the big Sator box of stretch goals that was a KS exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I've only played the solo version, which was a tacked on stretch goal that feels... fine. Overall, from my experience, and reading other people's reviews, It's an alright game that gets bogged down by having too much going on. I think if it had purely focused on being a mage battle arena game, it could've been Great, but BRW has you doing quests, activating rooms, tracking your points, tracking Rose points, mage HP, room HP, deciding which spells to ready for your turn, and in which order to play them in. That's not really a negative, but it tends to slow down the action of the game, which should be more the focus. If your play group prefers quicker action games, this miiight not be a great choice. But for those that like strategizing, deckbuilding, etc will probably get a kick out of BRW.

Setup is a tad extensive, having to get a bunch of the spell decks, quest decks, room tiles, tokens and miniatures prepared. If you just stick to the core box content, the decision-making is still manageable and interesting, but trying to run a game with all the stretch goal options available to you just seems like hell. The mini's are pretty great quality, and the cards & cardstock are fine, but the text translation isn't perfect. You won't have a problem 95% of the time, but the phrasing on some cards are odd/don't line up with other cards, and I think there was one example of text being left untranslated from Italian, but I can't remember specifics. General consensus I've gathered is: it's alright, very ambitious but didn't quite reach the top bar, stick to maybe 3~ish players and a handfull of spell decks for each game. poo poo loads of content to vary up between sessions in the stretch goals, though!

I'm gonna pledge to this KS for now, see how the stretch goals develop, then decide to stick around or bail. This sequel/expansion definitely looks about the same amount of content as the original core box (for a larger price), but so far the Stretch goals seem to be much more reigned in. Following the production of the original BRW was a trip, mostly due to the mountain of stretch goals they unlocked, and then struggled to produce & ship out. So, I'm not super confident pledging to them again after that experience, but I did end up getting everything I pledged for (The mini's), so... can't complain too hard I guess.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 25, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Desfore posted:

I've only played the solo version, which was a tacked on stretch goal that feels... fine. Overall, from my experience, and reading other people's reviews, It's an alright game that gets bogged down by having too much going on. I think if it had purely focused on being a mage battle arena game, it could've been Great, but BRW has you doing quests, activating rooms, tracking your points, tracking Rose points, mage HP, room HP, deciding which spells to ready for your turn, and in which order to play them in. That's not really a negative, but it tends to slow down the action of the game, which should be more the focus. If your play group prefers quicker action games, this miiight not be a great choice. But for those that like strategizing, deckbuilding, etc will probably get a kick out of BRW.

Setup is a tad extensive, having to get a bunch of the spell decks, quest decks, room tiles, tokens and miniatures prepared. If you just stick to the core box content, the decision-making is still manageable and interesting, but trying to run a game with all the stretch goal options available to you just seems like hell. The mini's are pretty great quality, and the cards & cardstock are fine, but the text translation isn't perfect. You won't have a problem 95% of the time, but the phrasing on some cards are odd/don't line up with other cards, and I think there was one example of text being left untranslated from Italian, but I can't remember specifics. General consensus I've gathered is: it's alright, very ambitious but didn't quite reach the top bar, stick to maybe 3~ish players and a handfull of spell decks for each game. poo poo loads of content to vary up between sessions in the stretch goals, though!

I'm gonna pledge to this KS for now, see how the stretch goals develop, then decide to stick around or bail. This sequel/expansion definitely looks about the same amount of content as the original core box (for a larger price), but so far the Stretch goals seem to be much more reigned in. Following the production of the original BRW was a trip, mostly due to the mountain of stretch goals they unlocked, and then struggled to produce & ship out. So, I'm not super confident pledging to them again after that experience, but I did end up getting everything I pledged for (The mini's), so... can't complain too hard I guess.
I would avoid anything from Ludus Magnus Studio after getting burned from Sine Tempore. I was backing plastic mini games left and right and thought the circular time-track initiative wheel looked interesting.
However, it just taught me the lesson that heaps of minis and stretch goals are worth jack crap if the gameplay isn't well tested or translated. They pretty much dropped support for it like a rock after fulfillment. I usually avoid non-English Euro-based mini Kickstarters because of this now since I never get a good feeling about their promise to translate properly. My only real exception is stuff by Awaken Realms.

Black Rose Wars just looked like a giant convoluted mess with a ton of setup, so I avoided it to begin with.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Memnaelar posted:

An author friend of mine is running his first RPG Kickstarter and I figured I'd plug it here since I think I'm the only goon in our immediate friends circle. He's been GMing TT games for me over the past 20 years and is, imo, a good writer but I'll just copy the opening pitch from his KS and let the goons to whom that sells wander on over of their own accord.

"What is Strange Hills? It's a No Dice, No Masters game about bad people who've done bad things.
People who were part of the ruling class in a tyrannical dictatorship. All that's over now, the entire world is dying, and they have to decide: will I be better now that it's all over? It's inspired by things like the Dark Sun campaign setting, the film Mad Max: Fury Road, and a lot of dark fantasy novels. It's a game about losing everything you have, and trying to redeem the one thing remaining, yourself.

Hi, I'm Jason Vanhee, and I'm a writer and gamer. I've been fussing around with tabletop roleplaying game creation for a few years now, but Strange Hills is the first big project that I feel really deserves a big audience.

At first I struggled to find a good system for it, but then I remembered Jay Dragon's absolutely brilliant Sleepaway and realized that a No Dice, No Masters game would work well. In those games you can collectively tell stories as a group, and Sleepaway had the darkness tinged with freshness and hope that I really wanted, so I knew it was possible. It turned out to be more than possible; I built a game I feel really leans into the No Dice, No Masters groove while still being mine."

This sounds ace, I'm in.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Happy tenth birthday/fundingday to Far West.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

head58 posted:

Happy tenth birthday/fundingday to Far West.

Incredible. And the creator moved all communications to his own website 2 years and in that time has updated once. How obvious does it have to be that a project isn't going to deliver?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't wait until he dies without delivering and his estate has to sheepishly hand over the big fat nothing he's done on it in the 2 years plus since that update.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was going to say that the funnier option would be for it to deliver and be a resoundingly mediocre-to-adequate product forgotten within a few weeks of release, but I feel like this has already happened to a lot of long-delayed Kickstarters, so instead I'm going to go with "game released, obviously clumsily adapted to flavor-of-the-week system not in existence when project was started."

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Somewhere in BGG, there was a bingo chart for Kickstarters that weren't delivering. Far West ticks a lot of the boxes, including the perrenial favourite "heath issues".

I'm going to once again recommend people look up the Total War saga on BGG which had been going from about 2005 and involves health problems, a fire, treacherous printers, software upgrades, glasses prescriptions, and the geographical distribution of peat.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Antivehicular posted:

I was going to say that the funnier option would be for it to deliver and be a resoundingly mediocre-to-adequate product forgotten within a few weeks of release, but I feel like this has already happened to a lot of long-delayed Kickstarters, so instead I'm going to go with "game released, obviously clumsily adapted to flavor-of-the-week system not in existence when project was started."

He said forever ago he rewrote the whole game to built on the d6 Star Wars system, so if it ever comes out either it'll be a system in existence for decades before the project was started, or that came out decades after following another revision.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2053940446/scp-foundation-the-boardgame-confidential-crisis

Prettttttyyy sure this is a cash grab, as you can't license the SCP stuff? :thunk:

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Infinitum posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2053940446/scp-foundation-the-boardgame-confidential-crisis

Prettttttyyy sure this is a cash grab, as you can't license the SCP stuff? :thunk:

On top of that, their pricing for minis seems off.

SCP literally just crowdfunded a whole lawsuit against an rear end in a top hat who was trying to copyright troll them too, so if they win that, it will be a lot easier to dissuade people like this.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
At the same point, having some sort of "open source" POD or home-printer SCP board game "system" for people to get creative in might be cool. And I say this as a person who doesn't know too much about SCP since I have been unable to leave this giant Ikea for a few years now but I've got to be near the exit by now, right?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Under the Risks section, they say they've been in contact with the SCP Wiki:

quote:

We have communicated with the licensing team of SCP foundation(official site) before developing this game. All the contents relating to the SCP Foundation which is licensed under Creative Commons Sharealike 3.0. http://www.scpwiki.com/​ and its authors. All credit will be referenced in the rule book properly.

But... let's just say I don't have much faith when their only other project was a failed card game about the Hong Kong riots.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
You’re not making any moulds for plastic minis for $1300. Those run a few thousand for one. This is absolutely a cash grab.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The_Doctor posted:

You’re not making any moulds for plastic minis for $1300. Those run a few thousand for one. This is absolutely a cash grab.

Yeah just going over what the box contains it'd cost more than they're asking to do a print run of 1, let alone 100. There's like 16 unique minis so unless they're planning to 3D print the lot they still don't have enough money for a traditional print run.

Oh god, they want to 3D print this poo poo don't they?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Infinitum posted:

I swear I’ve seen the design for the character “The Sweeper” before and it feels like they traced it from somewhere but I can’t say for sure. Could just be that it’s so generic.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah just going over what the box contains it'd cost more than they're asking to do a print run of 1, let alone 100. There's like 16 unique minis so unless they're planning to 3D print the lot they still don't have enough money for a traditional print run.

Oh god, they want to 3D print this poo poo don't they?

quote:

Hello Mr. Nixx

Thank you for your message.

We understand your concern and thanks again for raising the question.

First of all, our studio had already gathered enough investment for the initial setup locally before setting up the Kickstarter page, so is why we can have a low funding goal. Our products can be produced no matter we get a lot or not here.

Second, a mould here does not cost as much as $4k in our hometown. The costs vary from place to place. That’s why different stuff at your home come from different places of origin :)

In some places you can get lower production costs :)

Third, in case there are only $1000 backed in total (which is not at the time written, we already got more), we can have 8k resin printers which do not require a mould and it’s details are on par or even better with 8k resolutions

Finally, we set our goal lower because we had finished most of the design, we can produce them and put them on our local stores at hometown already, only with a lower goal, we can ensure the project won’t get cancelled here and international players can have buy it as well. The miniature prototypes were produced (we are no showing some computer generated graphics without actual models, it’s a bit weird to be positioned as a “scammer project” XD)

Thanks once again for your question and have a nice day! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I don't know of anywhere where you can get super cheap molds made, and I don't trust that they actually have prior investment, so yeah, they're probably planning on 3d printing everything.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

“awe are saving costs by 3d printing everything!! We have never done this before, but how hard can it be???”

Update 1: sorry, we’re having trouble with the printer. 1 month delay while we sort it out

Update 2: we had to buy a new LCD from running this thing 24/7 and it’s back ordered so 2 month delay.

Update 3: we didn’t like how these were coming out so we redesigned everything and are starting over! 3 month delay.

Update 4: we massively underestimated how much time this takes so we have to order a new printer. 4 month delay.

Update 5: they released a new printer, so we’re getting one of those! 3 month delay

Update 6: oh god, this still takes forever and we spent all the money on printers and resin we have to make a new KS to cover the other costs now!

And infinitum

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

senrath posted:

I don't know of anywhere where you can get super cheap molds made, and I don't trust that they actually have prior investment, so yeah, they're probably planning on 3d printing everything.

To be fair, Guangzhou is right there. If there is anywhere to get cheap moulds done, that is the place. Aluminum moulds for styrene aren't that cheap, but you can get gypsum moulds for PVC real fuckin' cheap so it is possible they could have budgeted poo poo out, though the margins are poo poo, and overall it looks like a scam. Could be a scam, could be idiots that don't know what they are doing.

LOLWTF is an 8k printer? Did you spend 8000 whatever currencies on it?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So I found out from the Batman Kickstarter comments that IDW tabletop games shutdown and seems to only be finishing its obligations for things. I sure can pick awesome kickstarters, haha.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Black Stones posted:

So I found out from the Batman Kickstarter comments that IDW tabletop games shutdown and seems to only be finishing its obligations for things. I sure can pick awesome kickstarters, haha.
As long as it can finish fulfillment for that game and I get what I paid for, then I’m fine.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Robert Facepalmer posted:

LOLWTF is an 8k printer? Did you spend 8000 whatever currencies on it?

It's an LCD based resin printer that uses a 7,680x4,320 resolution. This doesn't actually say much because it doesn't tell you anything about pixel density.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Oh totally, all I care is that I get the game. I’ve just backed a couple of major blow ups so when I read that I was like “yeah, par for the course with something I backed”

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

And infinitum

Yes?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

… errr … you are a quality poster. :glomp:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Infinitum posted:

Also the grammar is terrible. I get that not everybody is a native english speaker, but it's pretty cheap to get someone to review before you post your ambitious kickstarter

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

senrath posted:

This doesn't actually say much because it doesn't tell you anything about pixel density.
Exactly. 'It is twice as much as the TV, so it must be so good!' Again, more poo poo they are spewing out that kinda makes me think they sorta know what they are talking about, but just so the scam is more convincing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

… errr … you are a quality poster. :glomp:

:v:

Well while we're discussing Kickstarter

poo poo Infinitum Is Currently Backing

3 days left - Dicebound Dice - Looking like I'll be playing in some D&D campaigns, and want a few sets of dice to have about. Backing for a set of Persephone, cause they look dope.
4 days left - Flamecraft - Do yourselves a favour and check this one out. Seems like a well thought out campaign. My only complaint was the cloth map they were showing during preview videos, but apparently they'll be using a neoprene mat. So win win win all around.
16 days left - The Gardens - A tableau builder themed around the Sydney Botanical Gardens near where I live. Developed and published by Aussies, and it's looking pretty good. It comes with Sydney themed meeples, alongside a bin chicken meeple. The best.
19 days left - Wyrmwood Hexagonal Gaming System - Fancy tiles for your table with coasters on the back. They are very expensive, but I am looking to bling out my table a bit for when I get out of lockdown hell. I'm going to approach my players and ask if they're willing to chip in to help out. Judge me as thou wilt.

Sad About
Bug Council of Backyardia - Failed funding, but I think that's because it launched on a day that had 20+ other games including Avatar RPG + Arydia. Cute bug themed trick taking game with a mancala. They'll be relaunching in 2 months apparently so keep an eye out. Did include a solo mode + 2 optional modules. So it looked like it had legs.

poo poo I'm Not Backing, But Perhaps Check Out
- 3 days left - Arydia - Big rear end box of RPG by the creator of Xia. I'm not backing because I don't have a place for it in my collection alongside Frosthaven. I think it looks OK, but it uses similar systems to Xia and it is a boardgame trying to emulate the vibe of a video game. Take that as you will.
- 5 days left - Avatar RPG - The $75 tier seems to be SUPER good value, and I'm seriously considering backing it as an Avatar fan. Currently 6th most funded of all time, and 5th most backed of all time in the boardgame category. Insane.
- 23 days left Battle of Heroes - An art nouveau World of Warcraft themed set of playing cards. Looking VERY lovely, but also fairly expensive.
- 25 days left Lax Rax - Horizontal shelf splitters for your Kallax. Could be solid, but caveat emptor on the weight guides.

Laugh At
- Got Bit 2nd Edition - Project cancelled. Hey maybe don't charge people $70USD for shipping for a game that costs $24. Also lost the cool lego-man vibe the original had and opted for giant awkward heads. This one just ticked off all the wrong boxes.

HOLY poo poo THEY UPDATED
- Blood on the Clocktower - Just posted some high quality shots of their PPC, allegedly still on track for launch in November. Probably going to late pledge off the back of these photos. If you like Werewolf/Mafia games in any capacity do yourselves a favour and check it out - I've played a ton of the genre both online and IRL, and this is basically a 'best in class' game. My only complaint, is that the bulldog clips are dumb.. but honestly.. I get it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also re:Flamecraft. Here are all the answers to the puzzles if you want the bonus dragon + competition entry.

Infinitum posted:

Flamecraft has a puzzle contest on to win an All-in Pledge

There are 6 puzzles that will unlock a new colour dragon with your pledge, and the final puzzle will unlock entry for the All-In.
Entering all 7 gets you 7 chances to win.

https://cardboardalchemy.com/flamecraft-contest/

If you don't want to gently caress around here are the answers:
Bakery - macaron
Butchery - sandwich
Smithy - magnetite
Brewery - workhorse
Gardens - david attenborough
Jeweller - shiniest

Final - whimsy

This was a fun way to spend an afternoon.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Robert Facepalmer posted:

Exactly. 'It is twice as much as the TV, so it must be so good!' Again, more poo poo they are spewing out that kinda makes me think they sorta know what they are talking about, but just so the scam is more convincing.

I feel that's less likely to be sign of a scam and more "person uncritically accepts printer manufacturer's advertising", since that's how the printers are marketed these days. 4k! 8k! Monochrome screen!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Infinitum posted:

Laugh At
- Got Bit 2nd Edition - Project cancelled. Hey maybe don't charge people $70USD for shipping for a game that costs $24. Also lost the cool lego-man vibe the original had and opted for giant awkward heads. This one just ticked off all the wrong boxes.

Whatever happened to Greater Than anyway? They were super cool, they did some neat games and were going strong with Sentinels, then they abruptly did a second edition that is /not/ compatible with the version of the game they just completed and now seem to have gone off the deep end.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Whatever happened to Greater Than anyway? They were super cool, they did some neat games and were going strong with Sentinels, then they abruptly did a second edition that is /not/ compatible with the version of the game they just completed and now seem to have gone off the deep end.
I dunno if I would say that Sentinels 2nd Edition was abruptly made since it has been a while since the last expansion which pretty much ended the game. Everyone pretty much agreed the original game needed streamlining because it was too fiddly.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Yeah that's definitely an unfair reading. Oblivaeon ended the Sentinels line and people are allowed to release new editions of things. Besides what they're up to is a new rpg with six Ennie noms.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

The Black Stones posted:

drat, that bites. I almost backed that one but I felt the tacked on modes and such were just too much for me to hop on the Batman train. (Plus, I got the other Batman Chronicles game, both seasons)

JazzFlight posted:

I dunno if I would say that Sentinels 2nd Edition was abruptly made since it has been a while since the last expansion which pretty much ended the game. Everyone pretty much agreed the original game needed streamlining because it was too fiddly.

theironjef posted:

Yeah that's definitely an unfair reading. Oblivaeon ended the Sentinels line and people are allowed to release new editions of things. Besides what they're up to is a new rpg with six Ennie noms.

Oblivaeon was the ending of that lore chapter too - so rebooting is akin to Marvel/DC doing that whole New 52 or Multiverse reboot stuff.

I bought in on Oblivaeon (through Miniature Market since I missed the KS), but also for 2nd Ed, and that offshoot Freedom Five which looks really loving good.

I did love the original, but do concede it was fiddly as gently caress, especially when you had a million tokens for statuses, hp tracking, etc. Playing it on Tabletop Simulator did alleviate some of that, but in the end, a revamp was needed.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I just feel like a dupe for buying the complete line of the original and then oops, here's the new thing

Then again, comic book reboots are a pain in the rear end too.

Ho hum.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

I just feel like a dupe for buying the complete line of the original and then oops, here's the new thing

Ho hum.
I have the entirety of the original and the big box AND all of “The Cauldron” fan decks AND I’m still set to receive Sentinels of Earth Prime after a bazillion years development on Kickstarter.

I still backed the 2nd Edition. I’m okay with it since it’s going to take a while for it to release and it’s all new art and a lot of retooled abilities. Plus, they did release a “try if you really want to” document on incorporating old decks with the new edition.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Ho hum.

I mean, it’s not unique to Sentinels.

This is coming from someone who put money into all 3 versions of the Game of Thrones CCG/LCG. FFG has now killed the third version of the game and I won’t be surprised if a 4th one starts again when a new book comes out.

I put a bunch of money into Sentinels but happily picked up the reboot because they’re doing an overhaul that just couldn’t be done by trying to simply modify the original, and the updated art I think will help newcomers to the game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

when a new book comes out.

You're optimistic, aren't you mate? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

There's always Brandon Sanderson