Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Agaragon posted:

It has been a year and a half. Put your masks. Above your noses. At this rate I'm going to develop a twitch whenever I see a human nose.

YOu'd probably fit in well in the CSPAM COVID thread.

As has been summed up there a million times, to these people, and those who do the other weird things like leave them on their chin or hanging off of their ears in public, it's a magic talisman to them. They don't exactly comprehend how or why a mask would work, it's just a ward, and possessing it gives them resistance to COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Tiggum posted:

When people make a sandwich by putting ingredients on both pieces of bread instead of piling everything on one piece of bread. So they can't just sit the second piece of bread on top, they've got to carefully flip it to try to stop anything falling out.

I don't know if anyone is insane enough to do that in real life, but it's incredibly common in cooking/food videos.
I just did it a few hours ago. It's really not all that difficult.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When I make a sandwich one side is condiments one side is ingredients

Except PBJ that's obviously butter on inside, peanut butter on both outsides, dip into ramekin of jelly

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

When I make a sandwich one side is condiments one side is ingredients

Except PBJ that's obviously butter on inside, peanut butter on both outsides, dip into ramekin of jelly
Butter on one side, peanut butter on the other, dip in honey. But now I have to try it your way because for some reason that sounds ridiculous.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Tiggum posted:

When people make a sandwich by putting ingredients on both pieces of bread instead of piling everything on one piece of bread. So they can't just sit the second piece of bread on top, they've got to carefully flip it to try to stop anything falling out.

I don't know if anyone is insane enough to do that in real life, but it's incredibly common in cooking/food videos.

What the gently caress :pwn: I didn’t know this was a thing but apparently I’m the only one. I’m pretty sure I’d just drop poo poo all over the plate if I tried to do it but I’m pretty bad at most things so :smith:

I got a new phone that’s a different size and I’m not used to it yet so my typing accuracy sucks :negative:. Also I have to teach it swear words again

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The correct way to make a sandwich was already perfected some years back by a genius named Dagwood Bumstead. You simply take the sandwich ingredients, and don't just put all of them on one side of the bread, put therm on one sandwich.

All of them.

Get that chocolate syrup out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ideally, the sandwich should be teetering

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
So you're telling me you don't tear out the middle of a loaf and stuff the toppings in like a Thanksgiving turkey??

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Speaking of turkey and Dagwood, when the gently caress is my drumstick with a bone only as a handle?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For advanced sandwich building technique please refer to the rulebook for the traditional game Jenga

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

HOLY gently caress posted:

how many wallet-chain and JNCO-related accidents were there, do you think?

I watched a kid running down the street once wearing JNCO's. He was trying to be cool and attempted to hop a fire hydrant. His crotch caught the top of the hydrant and he got stuck on it. He hit his face on the ground but couldn't get off the hydrant. It was hilarious. Oddly enough, I've seen that happen twice.

Fortunately, I missed the JNCO fad. I was more of a Zubaz guy back in the day for my lame fad.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hardcordion posted:

So you're telling me you don't tear out the middle of a loaf and stuff the toppings in like a Thanksgiving turkey??

A man who never eats a Fool's Gold Loaf is never a whole man.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Sandwiches should be long, not tall :colbert:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Danaru posted:

Sandwiches should be long, not tall :colbert:

That's not how sandwiches work.

If I want a set, <X>, of items on my sandwich, I want to get <X> in every bite. So regardless of how long a sandwich is, it still has to be a minimum height.

Who wants to eat a sandwich that is one bite of just turkey, then a bite of cheese, then tomato, then onion, etc...?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DrBouvenstein posted:

That's not how sandwiches work.

If I want a set, <X>, of items on my sandwich, I want to get <X> in every bite. So regardless of how long a sandwich is, it still has to be a minimum height.

Who wants to eat a sandwich that is one bite of just turkey, then a bite of cheese, then tomato, then onion, etc...?

I, too, cannot comprehend the idea of a sandwich on a baguette

Much better to have a giant messburger where everything's dribbling out and only André the Giant or that icelandic Game of Thrones dude can fit their mouths around it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Landscaping.

NYC or Paris apartment noise was mainly just human poo poo. "Welp sounds like the neighbours are catching up on Game of Thrones, very sorry in advance for them and their extraordinarily loud cat."

Small city apartment noise is the godawful drone of weedwhackers and leafblowers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Landscaping.

NYC or Paris apartment noise was mainly just human poo poo. "Welp sounds like the neighbours are catching up on Game of Thrones, very sorry in advance for them and their extraordinarily loud cat."

Small city apartment noise is the godawful drone of weedwhackers and leafblowers.

A lot of the apartment noise I had when I lived in Brooklyn was the guy under my fire escape chanting racial slurs and conspiracy theories that heavily involved Timothy mcveigh. Also car alarms. And honking, can’t forget the honking. I’d much rather have weedwhackers and leafblowers over that.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
Several times worse when it's people pretty clearly not actually doing anything with the leaf blowers. Even if there are no leaves on the ground they will still go out to run them for ages and wave them around.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A lot of the apartment noise I had when I lived in Brooklyn was the guy under my fire escape chanting racial slurs and conspiracy theories that heavily involved Timothy mcveigh. Also car alarms. And honking, can’t forget the honking. I’d much rather have weedwhackers and leafblowers over that.

I honestly don't understand why car alarms are a thing. How many crimes are thwarted vs just loud useless noise annoying people?

It reminds me of another peeve: passwords being displayed hidden when you enter them. Like car alarms that poo poo is just theatre. Accounts aren't compromised by the hacker looming over your shoulder reading as you type the password in.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It reminds me of another peeve: passwords being displayed hidden when you enter them. Like car alarms that poo poo is just theatre. Accounts aren't compromised by the hacker looming over your shoulder reading as you type the password in.

Pretty common now to be able to toggle the hiding of passwords, which is a god send.

Not on consoles or smart TVs though, of course, which always have the most laborious possible login mechanisms for all apps and services.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I honestly don't understand why car alarms are a thing. How many crimes are thwarted vs just loud useless noise annoying people?

You say that but my creep stalker ex did exactly that to access all of my accounts to do horrible poo poo that's still affecting on my life. Don't click the little eyeball if someone is in the room with you, even if you trust them.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Hirayuki posted:

Hey, ophthalmologist's office! Please don't put liquid hand sanitizer in a bottle like this:

on the sink your patients use for taking out their lenses! And definitely don't put the actual lens solution out of the patient's line of sight!

I know this is from quite a few pages back but this is why I prefer glasses, yeah sure it's another thing to remember to take with you on the way out in the morning but at least they're not in contact with your eyeballs.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dip Viscous posted:

Several times worse when it's people pretty clearly not actually doing anything with the leaf blowers. Even if there are no leaves on the ground they will still go out to run them for ages and wave them around.

Sounds like the suburbs. And it's always on a day when it's nice enough to have the windows open.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
My friend hacked my runescape back in the day by clicking on my username just as I started typing in my password, and I was going from muscle memory and type the whole dang thing in.

He would type mean messages in the notes to me and would always move me to a particular house in Ardougne because he said I lived there, never understood why

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Having to take information from people who insist on using "as in ____" to distinguish every letter, regardless of if they need to or not.

"Uh yeah, that's Q as in queen, R as in... uhhhh... rabbit? Uh, X as in x-ray, I as in, uh, maybe ice cream? O as in...."

Sir, none of those letters sound like anything else and I'm just sitting here with my fingers hovering over the keyboard waiting for you to hurry up and do your word-association game so you can say the next letter, dear God.

Bonus points if they insist on using the military alphabet for this, because (a) most people don't remember it well and spend just as much time trying to think of what the word for "J" was, and (b) quit showing off.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Parasol Prophet posted:

Having to take information from people who insist on using "as in ____" to distinguish every letter, regardless of if they need to or not.

"Uh yeah, that's Q as in queen, R as in... uhhhh... rabbit? Uh, X as in x-ray, I as in, uh, maybe ice cream? O as in...."

Sir, none of those letters sound like anything else and I'm just sitting here with my fingers hovering over the keyboard waiting for you to hurry up and do your word-association game so you can say the next letter, dear God.

Bonus points if they insist on using the military alphabet for this, because (a) most people don't remember it well and spend just as much time trying to think of what the word for "J" was, and (b) quit showing off.

My loving mom does that. "ZEE as in ZEEEBRA"

I guess enough people have thought she was saying "C" for it to be annoying but maybe just really accentuate the buzz?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

My loving mom does that. "ZEE as in ZEEEBRA"

I guess enough people have thought she was saying "C" for it to be annoying but maybe just really accentuate the buzz?

Or just say Zed.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I did play with that for myself for a while (because of Stargate) but it became its own conversation, like "zed? wtf?"

Edit: Oh, also the next letter is E so it became ZEDDY

Edit 2: Which, now that I'm looking at it, is sort of a cool nickname. Call me Zeddy.

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 16:13 on Aug 28, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Parasol Prophet posted:

It's not showing off; it's very easy to remember. And it's very useful if you're spelling out something that needs to be exact, like an email address - especially if it's over a bad phone line or in a noisy environment.

I don't do it Wheel of Fortune style ("M for Mike") though. If I was giving my name I might say "Mathew with one T. That's Mike; Alpha; Tango; Hotel; Echo; Whisky." It's quick and easy, and saves time and frustration.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Parasol Prophet posted:

This drives me crazy when my work laptop's encryption thing won't let me log in. I have to call up IT and they read some ridiculously long ~20 character code that I have to enter, which generates a code I have to read back to them and they insist on using the military alphabet for it. Since the code is usually not the same length each time, it's very easy to miss a letter or two because whatever phones the IT guys use are horrible, and then you have to start over again. We're just resetting a password, not launching a nuclear missile, why does it have to be this hard?

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Aug 28, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Parasol Prophet posted:

I've worked a lot in Universities which has meant working with people with all kinds of accents and I've ways appreciated it. Even in Scotland, someone on Glasgow will often say "J" as "Jai" while an Aberdonian will say "Jay", and "p" and "b" can be problems too. It's a godsend with vowels. It's not always necessary, but is appreciated when it is.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Yeah the NATO phonetic alphabet was invented for specifically this purpose and I don't understand why it would annoy you

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nostradingus posted:

Yeah the NATO phonetic alphabet was invented for specifically this purpose and I don't understand why it would annoy you

It relies on the person who's trying to read you something actually knowing the nato phonetic alphabet and not going "a as in alpha, b as in beta, k as in... oh what's the k one?" This has also happened to me so I sympathize with this complaint.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Koopa

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Parasol Prophet posted:

In Iceland we usually use names for this
B as in Baldur,O as in Orrmundur, Etc.

I used to have a car that had a license plate number that started with VBP and as it was an American car so it broke down a lot so I had to spend a lot of time ordering appointments at mechanics and having to give them the license plate over the phone where B and P are hard to distinguish.

So it was ,,V...B as in Birkir, P as in Páll..."

Peeve was having to order spare parts specifically from America and having to go to expensive import stores to buy something as simple as a new bulb for a headlight because for some reason American parts are all different from the Asian and European parts.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Aug 28, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I had a guy do “e as in Enoch” over the phone once. That’s not useful! Most people aren’t going to know the spelling of “Enoch”!

I usually do the phonetic alphabet over the phone, but I always do it over the radio where everything is usually decently garbled.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

In Iceland we usually use names for this
B as in Baldur,O as in Orrmundur, Etc.

I used to have a car that had a license plate number that started with VBP and as it was an American car so it broke down a lot so I had to spend a lot of time ordering appointments at mechanics and having to give them the license plate over the phone where B and P are hard to distinguish.

So it was ,,V...B as in Birkir, P as in Páll..."

Peeve was having to order spare parts specifically from America and having to go to expensive import stores to buy something as simple as a new bulb for a headlight because for some reason American parts are all different from the Asian and European parts.

Is this unique to american cars? I drive a Kia in the US and it still needs specific parts, you can't just yoink a brake light off a Ford or BMW and stick it in there.

Now, there are lots of peeves about american drivers. For example, leave a big city and enjoy the 150 million assholes in MAGA-laden ford trucks running people off the road.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Aug 28, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The bulbs are typically more or less generic even if the light assembly isn’t.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is this unique to american cars? I drive a Kia in the US and it still needs specific parts, you can't just yoink a brake light off a Ford or BMW and stick it in there.

It seems to me that things are basically standardised for Asian and European cars but American cars have their own entirely separate standard.

Might just be Dodge being weird though because my headlight went out and I went to dozens of gas stations and part stores that all had several different types of bulb but none that fit the Dodge which was only available in one import store that specialised in parts for American cars.

I understand more complex parts not being interchangeable but something that simple being so hard to find surprised me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Tiggum posted:

It's not showing off; it's very easy to remember. And it's very useful if you're spelling out something that needs to be exact, like an email address - especially if it's over a bad phone line or in a noisy environment.

I don't do it Wheel of Fortune style ("M for Mike") though. If I was giving my name I might say "Mathew with one T. That's Mike; Alpha; Tango; Hotel; Echo; Whisky." It's quick and easy, and saves time and frustration.

That's understandable-- I probably just have a bias against the military and get the feeling that they're trying to prove something (either that they were in the military, or that they went out of their way to learn it).

It can also be frustrating too, though, if people don't phrase it like you do-- sometimes they'll just launch into "My email is Mike, Alpha, Tango..." which makes me automatically start typing 'mikealphatango' before realizing what they're doing.