Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

ben shapino posted:

death panels for everybody

the panels have been replaced by a sign that just says "death"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Does anyone have any good sources on how/why we know China isn't lying besides the obvious 'China's methodology was using tried and true methods for dealing with infectious disease that humans have successfully employed for literally thousands of years.' I want to shut up some Lib relatives.

we don’t

we just know America is lying about its numbers because the excess mortality is like 50% higher than the official numbers

also LOL even if China was lying you could multiply their cases by 400x and the optimistic US number would still be higher

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 26, 2021

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Does anyone have any good sources on how/why we know China isn't lying besides the obvious 'China's methodology was using tried and true methods for dealing with infectious disease that humans have successfully employed for literally thousands of years.' I want to shut up some Lib relatives.

look at what delta did to india. piles of corpses burning in every city for a month. credible BBC estimates put it at 4 million indians dead. there is no way china, a country just as dense and populous as india in many parts, could have had a similar surge and covered it all up. not to mention the millions of expats and such living and working there right now who would have seen whatever funny business the nutzos are sure happened

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Stereotype posted:

instead though we're going to have 1.5% of the population die and then also still have covid

I wonder how a disease that can cause long term health damage and also reinfect people multiple times will unfold over several years

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jetz0r posted:

if you can get your insurance to cover it, or pay with cash, i guess so?

flus don't carry as much cross compatibility in immune response, though. the actual target viruses change so much year to year that getting 4 boosters this year doesn't help you out next year. it's the fast mutating virus to compare to covid's slow mutation rate.

and the flu is pathetic weak little baby of a virus that gives up at the slightest touch of social distancing and masking.

the flu encountered our lovely covid restrictions and accepted going extinct.

chad covid encountered our lovely covid restrictions and became as contagious as chicken pox

I pulled this up a few days ago - a significant proportion of COVID hospitalizations had coinfections with influenza, and tests on mice showed their lungs fared worse when battling both diseases:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-021-00473-1

quote:

Coinfection with influenza A virus enhances SARS-CoV-2 infectivity

Published: 18 February 2021

quote:

Abstract

The upcoming flu season in the Northern Hemisphere merging with the current COVID-19 pandemic raises a potentially severe threat to public health. Through experimental coinfection with influenza A virus (IAV) and either pseudotyped or live SARS-CoV-2 virus, we found that IAV preinfection significantly promoted the infectivity of SARS-CoV-2 in a broad range of cell types. Remarkably, in vivo, increased SARS-CoV-2 viral load and more severe lung damage were observed in mice coinfected with IAV. Moreover, such enhancement of SARS-CoV-2 infectivity was not observed with several other respiratory viruses, likely due to a unique feature of IAV to elevate ACE2 expression. This study illustrates that IAV has a unique ability to aggravate SARS-CoV-2 infection, and thus, prevention of IAV infection is of great significance during the COVID-19 pandemic.

quote:

Unfortunately, during the last winter flu season in the southern hemisphere, little epidemiological evidence was collected regarding the interaction between COVID-19 and flu, likely due to a low IAV infection rate resulting from social distancing. One case report showed that three out of four SARS-CoV-2 and IAV coinfected patients rapidly develop respiratory deterioration. In contrast, another study only reported mild symptoms in limited coinfection outpatients. A retrospective study found that the coinfection rate of SARS‐CoV‐2 and influenza virus was as high as 57.3% (among which 49.8% was coinfected with IAV) in a single‐centered study of 307 COVID-19 patients during the outbreak period in Wuhan. Thus, the high coinfection rate and the unpredictable clinical outcomes pose great concerns when facing the threat of both viruses.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Lastgirl posted:

well you have to learn to because this society is too big to fail

america's worth it, just hold out a little longer cmon man

idk lastgirl this seems like you're trying to pressure me

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

you can try pointing them towards reading some Marx, engels, Lenin, Mao, etc. it wont work for what you want immediate short term but it might help fix their brain worms long term

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4XOCn8Ubo

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Schnorkles posted:

i don't really want to co-exist with COVID tbh

good news, I guarantee eventually none of us will have to

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Schnorkles posted:

i don't really want to co-exist with COVID tbh

that's the empirically correct opinion because you literally cannot co-exist with it. it kills you.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Schnorkles posted:

idk lastgirl this seems like you're trying to pressure me

we're in this together

comply! get your jab! NOW NOW NOW! HURRY UP! GET BACK TO WORK! LEARN TO COPE LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT! WORK!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
make way make way hot number coming through

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1430713745538490369?s=21

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

learn to hug and kiss covid particles

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

there's American companies and Americans in every single major city, to say nothing of other foreign nationals, if there were piles of corpses and people getting black bagged by roving government death squads we'd know about it

more to the point tho, Modi is way more fascist than the CCP is (unless you're an urban technocrat or violent psychopath lol) and even he couldn't cover up a mass death event despite official records and official media narratives being entirely in line with his message the whole time

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

haha oh no

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Stereotype posted:

that's the empirically correct opinion because you literally cannot co-exist with it. it kills you.

well look at mr. scientist over here

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Just found r/nonewnormal and I think we should put all the posters on the subreddit together in a room with posters in this thread and see who wins lol

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Blackhawk posted:

68 new cases in NZ today, up from 62 yesterday but good to see the rise is very slow now. 9 days into lockdown we'd expect to see the numbers start to come down in the next few days.

Also some interesting stats from the government. Of the 62 cases yesterday 37 of them were just people living in the same household as an existing case also getting pozzed. Of the 494 listed locations of interest only 13 have so far resulted in transmission. So those are pretty encouraging to me, Auckland will def be in level 4 lockdown for another week or two at this rate but I don't think we're going to go full NSW.

Those are actually remarkably bad numbers.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PDP-1 posted:

we will be greeted as ventilators

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I am gonna assume actually hospitalization numbers are higher, just some places can't accept more patients.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Stereotype posted:

haha oh no

lmao sure would be crazy if we just let Covid run wild

so wacky!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i am engulfed in the corona, but this can't be right... it is only summer

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Chuka Umana posted:

Just found r/nonewnormal and I think we should put all the posters on the subreddit together in a room with posters in this thread and see who wins lol

bro wait till you see r/nursing

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Death By The Blues posted:

I am gonna assume actually hospitalization numbers are higher, just some places can't accept more patients.

probably

it also means that the numbers are going to plateau at 100% and nate will post about what a good sign it is

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i am going to coexist with this house fire. i am coexisting with the fireants that are constantly stinging me. i just have to learn to live with these dozen gunshot wounds. i have been decapitated, but that will just become the new normal with time

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Stereotype posted:

I am a multicellular organism, you are a single celluar organism, I forbid you from using my printer gently caress off

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

PDP-1 posted:

we will be greeted as ventilators

I cackled in my empty room like a madman. Thank you PDP. I've had enough of this! GOOD NIGHT

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

As I've posted a couple of times in this thread, my wife is Chinese. My in-laws live in a relatively small Chinese town of around 150k people, a satellite town to a larger city of about 3 million.

Their town has never had a single case of COVID. They have never had any lockdowns or even a mask mandate. No one is or has done any work from home. I don't mean "after China eradicated COVD", I mean literally never. My wife's uncle's wife's son in some other province apparently tested positive for it sometime in 2020. This and the news are the only personal knowledge any of them have ever had about the entire pandemic. They don't know or have ever met anyone who has had COVID. Then only change to their lives since 2019 is that they've had the vaccine and now have contact tracing apps on their phones.

Trying to explain Florida to my in-laws is just.....[gestures all around].

Oh and you know how the American media is literally just lying about everything that's easily observable and verifiable by Americans? Imagine what they're doing for China.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 26, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the real New Normal being forced on us is living with COVID, and posters in this thread are opposed to that

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Red Baron posted:

lmao sure would be crazy if we just let Covid run wild

so wacky!

the number of new cases and deaths is so high but i'm glad we are doing something about it

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

hmmm

https://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/pbj0sl/cant_do_it_anymore/

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Casey Finnigan posted:

I swear to god the USA is gonna do some poo poo like they're gonna force a diplomatic meeting with NZ and send a delegation consisting exclusively of people that are positive for covid.

it wouldn't be the first time the cia has introduced diseases to countries as covert bioweapons

https://covertactionmagazine.com/2020/10/05/new-evidence-implicates-cia-in-1971-attack-on-cuba-with-african-swine-fever-virus/
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1987-07-26-mn-1227-story.html

quote:

The 10 asserted that the CIA had spread several tropical maladies in Cuba, including a deadly outbreak of dengue fever during the 1970s. The outbreak reportedly killed 81 children. They supported the charges only by repeating questions they said their CIA contacts had asked about health conditions in Cuba, in one case in anticipation of an eye disease they said once broke out on the island.

“We look at the CIA as a kind of Herod that kills our children,” said Eduardo Sagarosa, a physician.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Blackhawk posted:

Lmao I'll be seeing you from a covid-free brunch in a month bitch.

oh god we're hosed :negative:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's really wild to see in real time the progressive collapse of everything service-based in our society as everyone who isn't a raging narc with main character syndrome stays inside rinsing their pizza like raccoons and all the unbridled assholes flock out to unleash their pent up aggression on whoever's got the misfortune of having to deal with them

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Man everyone of these stories are just so loving funny. COVID is just gonna gut so many CHUDs.

https://twitter.com/chris_notcapn/status/1430663933589872649

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stereotype posted:

i am going to coexist with this house fire. i am coexisting with the fireants that are constantly stinging me. i just have to learn to live with these dozen gunshot wounds. i have been decapitated, but that will just become the new normal with time

"What are things overheard in a Florida hospital waiting room?"

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Safety is incompatible with the capitalist American lifestyle. Oh well guess we just learn to coexist with it.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rauros posted:

blessed to see it again!

:eyepop:

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

The thing is I am not American, my parents are refugees from a country that America has been dicking around for a while and itching to invade. So I really cannot care what happens to America, deserves whatever they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The thing is I am not America, my parents are refugees from a country that America has been dicking around for a while and itching to invade. So I really cannot care what happens to America, deserves whatever they get.

:yeah: