Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Z the IVth posted:

Well I've always figured that the FPS-es like Cyberpunk is something for the future with a proper GPU. Also since when did total war become a resource hog? I used to play Shogun 20 years ago and while the modern stuff is prettier it's still no Crysis. Potato mode surely exists if needed?

Thanks for the thoughts, this is very helpful. Having done more checking:

1. I have to use the MSI mobo as the Asrock one isn't compatible without a BIOS update and I can't do it without a CPU installed.

2. There's only about a £15 difference between a Corsair 450w Platinum and a Fractal node 650w Gold. Is there any major difference in quality? I'm tempted to just pay a little extra for the 650w in this case.

3. Is the partpicker accurate for prices or are there reputable retailers who are not on it? Having played with the numbers downgrading components doesn't look like it's saving me a huge amount.

4. Do I need a custom cooler at this stage or is it something to consider once I get a GPU?

1. There are options here, possibly. I don't know the UK market but here in the US if you buy a motherboard without bios flashback in person from say, MicroCenter, they'll loan you a CPU to do the update. However, regardless of how you slice it, doing a non-flashback update is going to be more of a pain so it might be worth ~30 quid to you just to not have to deal with it. The Gigigabyte motherboard is better anyway.

2. Corsair is highly reputable for SFF PSUs, but the Fractal is evidently a Seasonic SGX on the inside, which is also good. It has a ten year warranty so over its lifetime you really won't be spending much more over the lifecycle. It's a SFX-L so it's a bit deeper than the Corsair SFX PSU.

3. Can't speak to UK market but yes, in general cost savings between good components and mediocre components is very small. It looks like with relatively good components you came in right about at your 700 budget, so if that works for you I think you've done well.

4. The included cooler will work just fine although it will be a bit noisy. If you hate the noise level after the fact, switching it out is not totally trivial (in that you have to disassemble a bunch of the PC to get to the back of the motherboard for most retaining plates), but it's also not difficult at all and is just a quick little rebuild. A decent air cooler that fits in the NR200 is going to run you about 30 quid after the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
For a bulk storage hdd which would have music, pictures, and random other files, does it matter if the drive is 5400 or 7200 rpm?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Ryuga Death posted:

For a bulk storage hdd which would have music, pictures, and random other files, does it matter if the drive is 5400 or 7200 rpm?

5400 will be quieter, potentially longer lived.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Newegg has the 4TB 5400 RPM WD Blue for $75 for the next couple days: https://www.newegg.com/wd40ezaz-14tb/p/1Z4-0002-01CG2

I don't see that being a problem for media storage, or even fast-loading games (like 2D stuff).

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Newegg has the 4TB 5400 RPM WD Blue for $75 for the next couple days: https://www.newegg.com/wd40ezaz-14tb/p/1Z4-0002-01CG2

I don't see that being a problem for media storage, or even fast-loading games (like 2D stuff).

Is this the same thing?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087QTVCHH?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Don't know why the PCpartpicker site isn't showing this particular one as an option to pick.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I have a 4gb 5400rpm Seagate Barracuda and the sound when it's starting up to access data is louder than it actually working. The only reason to get a 7200rpm drive these days is if slightly faster data loading is really important.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ryuga Death posted:

Is this the same thing?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087QTVCHH?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1

Don't know why the PCpartpicker site isn't showing this particular one as an option to pick.

Looks like it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm moving next week but my new place is fairly close so I was just going to take out my GPU and walk my system over. Should I remount my CPU cooler in case it shakes loose or am I just being insanely paranoid for no reason?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

change my name posted:

I'm moving next week but my new place is fairly close so I was just going to take out my GPU and walk my system over. Should I remount my CPU cooler in case it shakes loose or am I just being insanely paranoid for no reason?

Anecdote is not data or whatever but I moved PCs by hand, in cars, and given them to movers at various points and I never bothered to do anything about the tower cooler. Each time it was perfectly fine. It's hard to get four springload screws to back out without actually trying.

I guess you could give it a lil tug to see if it's loose after you get it in to the new place for peace of mind.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you're not boxing it up and shipping it I wouldnt worry. Even then it would depend on your cooler.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

4. The included cooler will work just fine although it will be a bit noisy. If you hate the noise level after the fact, switching it out is not totally trivial (in that you have to disassemble a bunch of the PC to get to the back of the motherboard for most retaining plates), but it's also not difficult at all and is just a quick little rebuild. A decent air cooler that fits in the NR200 is going to run you about 30 quid after the fact.

On this point, which cooler are you thinking of? The Scythe Fuma 2 recommended in the OP is 70 quid. I had it in the build originally but took it out since I reasoned I was unlikely to be overclocking the system.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I went with the scythe, and I was specifically looking for quietness rather than overclocking.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
My brother is building a PC mainly for City Skylines. He's going to be using an older GPU I had from an old build of mine. Does this look good otherwise?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ddzj68

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

change my name posted:

The cooler is the main concern.

Hold it so the cooler is flat with the ground and it’s probably fine if you’re carrying it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

On this point, which cooler are you thinking of? The Scythe Fuma 2 recommended in the OP is 70 quid. I had it in the build originally but took it out since I reasoned I was unlikely to be overclocking the system.

Looks like the Scythe Mugen 5 is available from Overclockers.uk for 50, that would provide quite a bit of cooling. BeQuiet! Pure Rock 2 is about 33, that would be a nice budget option that will be quieter and cooler than the stock cooler.

Since you've already blown the budget by a hair, I'd start with the stock cooler, and if it irritates you, you can replace it later.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Farecoal posted:

My brother is building a PC mainly for City Skylines. He's going to be using an older GPU I had from an old build of mine. Does this look good otherwise?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ddzj68

I would get as beefy a CPU as you can manage, Skylines eats CPUs. The 3300 isn’t bad but you’ll be glad if you’re building big cities to have something like a 3600, 11400F (would need a mobo change) or 5600x if you can afford it.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Wanted to pop in and thank everyone who helped me out, got everything put together last night and I was maxing out my monitor's 60 fps at 1920x1080 in BFV.

Naturally now I want a new monitor. Is a 5600X / RTX 2080 combo able to do 144hz at 2560x1440 with modern AAA games?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Z the IVth posted:

Another question - is the NR200 the best case I can use? I considered the SG13 but it's apparently a bugger to fit everything in and it's really finicky with what GPUs work with it.
The NR200 is one of the best values if you're interested in an SFF case IMO. It's bigger than some of the really small SFF cases but in exchange you get great GPU compatibility, decent air cooler compatibility, and reasonable airflow.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fortunately the NR200 has an open frame behind the motherboard so you can get to the backplate and swap coolers without disassembling anything except the cooler itself.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Target Practice posted:

Wanted to pop in and thank everyone who helped me out, got everything put together last night and I was maxing out my monitor's 60 fps at 1920x1080 in BFV.

Naturally now I want a new monitor. Is a 5600X / RTX 2080 combo able to do 144hz at 2560x1440 with modern AAA games?

If you use DLSS, turn down (or turn off) ray tracing, and dial down a few graphics settings, you should be able to get in the ballpark, but it is dependent on the game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Target Practice posted:

It depends on the game, but for the most part no. According to the benchmarks I'm seeing, the last few years of AAA games will run at 60 to 120 FPS at 1440p for the most part. Some of the more demanding/less optimized games that came out over the last year like Cyberpunk, Watch Dogs 3, and AC Valhalla, will run at 60fps or a little less at 1440p max settings (not even the 3080 or 3090 run those at 144 fps at 1440p).

That's not to say you shouldn't get a 1440p monitor as the 2080 can definitely do that, just not at very high framerates with every game. Get a high-refresh monitor that's g-sync compatible (which is basically all of them these days), and you'll be able to take advantage of high framerates when they're available while still being able to game smoothly at more conventional framerates when necessary.

edit: And yeah, DLSS should get you closer to 144fps if that's what you want.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 26, 2021

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So actually I wasn't ready to pull the trigger immediately on a PC just yet, and the prebuilt Lancool 215 / Ryzen 5600X / 3070 thing has sold out. I think I'll keep an eye on the prices of similar prebuilts from AWD, and maybe spec up a PC Part Picker build of similar spec and monitor the prices of GPUs in the meantime just in case I can pick up something that's not prebuilt too. I think if I got lucky and grabbed a GPU at MSRP the PC Part Picker build would end up cheaper, but lol.

Also, I double checked my specs again to see exactly what processor I had, and uh, for like 3 years I've been 100% confident that I had an i7-4000 series (or i7 at least) CPU and 16gb of RAM. This is what happens when I pick up literally thrown-out hardware from an old job. I think my CPU is from 2009. No wonder Lightroom is slow as gently caress.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
hot UK deals, search for some term like "Nvidia" or "DDR" or something because the default filters are bad. keep an eye on it, that's where I'm pulling prebuilds from and I think there are still quite competitive ones for sale

protjp the heat is user voted so if its like 300+ degrees it's probable pretty good.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

NoDamage posted:

The NR200 is one of the best values if you're interested in an SFF case IMO. It's bigger than some of the really small SFF cases but in exchange you get great GPU compatibility, decent air cooler compatibility, and reasonable airflow.

Fortunately the NR200 has an open frame behind the motherboard so you can get to the backplate and swap coolers without disassembling anything except the cooler itself.

This is excellent.

More excellent is that there's a ATX psu mod bracket so I can cannibalize my old PSU for it.

Is a 7 year old Seasonic 80 Gold PSU worth recycling or should I buy a new one? This is a dumb question but PSU connectors haven't changed in this time have they?

What's the current recommendation with regard to drives and OS-es?

I can salvage a 120gb SSD and use it as a dedicated OS drive, and get a bigger one for actual use. Or should I just get a big one and install the OS on that? I've always tried to keep the OS separate in the event I need to nuke the drive but 6 years with a laptop has made me forget everything.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Target Practice posted:

Not likely as you'll be limited by the GPU, but the monitor is still worth our as long as it has gsync and 80-120fps at 1440p is still really nice.

Edit: beaten!

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 27, 2021

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Better pro tip for screws: put them in a small plastic bag and tape them inside the case in a drive bay somewhere

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

Better pro tip for screws: put them in a small plastic bag and tape them inside the case in a drive bay somewhere

Please don’t do this.

This is unlikely, but if you move or jostle the case and a screw comes out, bam dead motherboard or GPU. This is 1000% not worth the risk for the minor convenience.

Be like the rest of us and shove all that poo poo in your motherboard box and seal it with tape. Or if you run into this frequently, you should own a screw organizing system because you build and tinker enough to warrant it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are $1000 3080s available through NZXT's PC builder service if you're looking for a whole new PC. The rest of the component prices are reasonable, though the component selection is fairly limited. Still, you can get a cheap-ish prebuilt with a 3080 currently using parts that don't completely suck.

There's also a refurbished 5600X/3080 PC on newegg for $2100 right now if you want to try your luck on a refurbished prebuilt: https://www.newegg.com/skytech-st-shiva-0210-r/p/N82E16883289177?quicklink=true (according to the page for the new version of that model, it uses an unidentified B550 motherboard and a 750W PSU)

There's also this $2200 CyberpowerPC 3080 machine with a 10700K, though that looks kinda meh and CyberpowerPC is known to for garbage build quality. You get Crysis Remastered Trilogy, Humankind, and Battlefield 2042 as pack-ins though, so there's that.

Anyway, these are cheaper than I've seen for 3080 prebuilts in a while so I thought I'd bring these up here for those who are looking at prebuilts in lieu of building your own due to the current market weirdness.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 27, 2021

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Please don’t do this.

This is unlikely, but if you move or jostle the case and a screw comes out, bam dead motherboard or GPU. This is 1000% not worth the risk for the minor convenience.

Be like the rest of us and shove all that poo poo in your motherboard box and seal it with tape. Or if you run into this frequently, you should own a screw organizing system because you build and tinker enough to warrant it.

Should have bough Antec P180, which had a small plastic box inside for storing screws and such.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Z the IVth posted:

This is excellent.

More excellent is that there's a ATX psu mod bracket so I can cannibalize my old PSU for it.

Is a 7 year old Seasonic 80 Gold PSU worth recycling or should I buy a new one? This is a dumb question but PSU connectors haven't changed in this time have they?

Just because you technically can fit a full-size PSU in the nr200 doesn't mean you should. It's gonna make cable management and fitting everything else in there a pain in the arse.

And given that your PSU is 7 years old anyway it's probably due an upgrade. Just get the Corsair SF600 platinum and be done with it.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

Just because you technically can fit a full-size PSU in the nr200 doesn't mean you should. It's gonna make cable management and fitting everything else in there a pain in the arse.

And given that your PSU is 7 years old anyway it's probably due an upgrade. Just get the Corsair SF600 platinum and be done with it.

Amazon UK have the SF600 Gold in their 30% off warehouse sale right now which makes it about £67.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Butterfly Valley posted:

I say it's 7 years old but it's probably actually only been used for less than a year out of that 7 and spent most of the time off.

I'm thinking of using it as a temporary measure since I'm not using a discrete GPU or custom cooler at this time so it should have plenty of space to fit. I can always switch to a SFX PSU when I've decided what to do about the GPU.

Even if it doesn't work out the bracket will be like £5 shipped.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Yeep posted:

Amazon UK have the SF600 Gold in their 30% off warehouse sale right now which makes it about £67.

The platinum models have individually sleeved cables which are much better for cable routing but yeah that's a good deal

Z the IVth posted:

I'm thinking of using it as a temporary measure since I'm not using a discrete GPU or custom cooler at this time so it should have plenty of space to fit. I can always switch to a SFX PSU when I've decided what to do about the GPU.

OK fair enough, but once you step up to having beefier components you'll definitely appreciate the extra room an SFX PSU offers in there.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!
Good morning! I've got a headless computer I've converted to use for Steam Streaming gaming; in a lot of cases depending on what I'm doing I can't always be sitting at a desk and playing, I'm typically moving a laptop around and then Steam Streaming back to the headless gaming computer.

It's been a bit of a struggle since the headless computer is only powered by a Radeon HD 7950 video card that is now doing double-duty rendering both the game and now sending streaming frames. I can play lower/mid level games at low quality, even Cities:Skylines with a lot turned off and a lot of FPS improvement mods installed, but above that the video card just can't keep up. I'm looking to put together a chunk of change to replace it but between the GPU shortage and crypto mining pretty much everything is now a lot more expensive.

Is there a good target card that would allow much higher quality steam streaming gaming quality without requiring a second mortgage? My gut reaction is usually to buy on the higher end like a 3080 Ti, but the higher-end cards that already have a price-for-performance premium also seem to be in higher demand for crypto miners as well.

The headless gaming computer otherwise has an i7-4790K processor and 16GB of RAM.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ChubbyPitbull posted:

Good morning! I've got a headless computer I've converted to use for Steam Streaming gaming; in a lot of cases depending on what I'm doing I can't always be sitting at a desk and playing, I'm typically moving a laptop around and then Steam Streaming back to the headless gaming computer.

It's been a bit of a struggle since the headless computer is only powered by a Radeon HD 7950 video card that is now doing double-duty rendering both the game and now sending streaming frames. I can play lower/mid level games at low quality, even Cities:Skylines with a lot turned off and a lot of FPS improvement mods installed, but above that the video card just can't keep up. I'm looking to put together a chunk of change to replace it but between the GPU shortage and crypto mining pretty much everything is now a lot more expensive.

Is there a good target card that would allow much higher quality steam streaming gaming quality without requiring a second mortgage? My gut reaction is usually to buy on the higher end like a 3080 Ti, but the higher-end cards that already have a price-for-performance premium also seem to be in higher demand for crypto miners as well.

The headless gaming computer otherwise has an i7-4790K processor and 16GB of RAM.

The 3080 is generally the best card of this gen if you can find an MSRP one. All of the Ti models are ridiculously over priced, even at MSRP (outside of the 3060Ti).

But lol at finding one.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yeep posted:

Do you have a link for this since I can't seem to find it. The only ones I can find at 90 quid (ish)

With regards to economical, lightweight gaming is there any merit in considering an older GPU (1050Ti?) Paired with a cheaper CPU? Or does that just lock me into old hardware that's already halfway obsolete.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

njsykora posted:

I would get as beefy a CPU as you can manage, Skylines eats CPUs. The 3300 isn’t bad but you’ll be glad if you’re building big cities to have something like a 3600, 11400F (would need a mobo change) or 5600x if you can afford it.

Thanks

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I'd try and buy used parts for a budget rig. You'll get a lot more bang for the buck with a used cpu/mobo/ram combo. r/hardwareswap or here on sa mart. I'd also look into a phanteks p300a/400a or a case with a little better airflow. The Vetroo v5 on amazon also seems to be the budget aircooler to go with, but the stock ryzen coolers work just fine honestly.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Do you have a link for this since I can't seem to find it. The only ones I can find at 90 quid (ish).

Looks like they’ve sold out. There were 3 earlier but the warehouse deals go pretty fast.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Looks like Fractal Designs pulled an NZXT: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/fractal-design-issues-fan-hub-replacement-for-new-torrent-pc-case

Unlike NZXT, however, Fractal Designs have immediately acknowledged the problem, pulled the affected case from sale, and is offering to replace all purchasers' fan hubs. So if you've bought a Torrent, definitely unplug that fan hub and go through the replacement process.

(For context, NZXT's H1 case had a defective PCIe riser cable that could short out and potentially start a fire. For a couple weeks they refused to acknowledge it as a serious problem, until a US agency got involved and forced them to issue a recall)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Finding a hardware issue and acknowledging it isn’t really pulling an NZXT, to get that they would need the replacements to also be badly made except for the good ones they send to the media.