Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

To be fair I drafted McLaurin as my WR1 so obviously he’s amazing now in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My redraft league that is keeping keepers for the first time this year is drafting tonight. Would it be dirty of me to draft Etienne really late then stash him on IR all year so I could keep him for cheap next year?

Edit: we keep for two rounds higher the following year.

I don't see how it is dirty when nothing prevents another owner from making the same move. In my keeper league stuff like that happens every year, with the risk being someone else drafting him late but a round before you plan to.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

Just wait for a dude to break out. Jefferson wasn't rostered last year I bet. Neither was Robinson. Snag both, or any guys like Herbert on the cusp of breaking out. Bid on all of them, don't wait a week just to see if they repeat their weeks.

Churn the last 2 roster slots weekly (alternate weeks) for gold nuggets.

10th round baby

He's my one keeper in my one-keeper league. Top 5 receiver for an 8th rounder lol

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

" posted:

NO. PLAYER
11 Austin Ekeler LAC, RB
18 Calvin Ridley Atl, WR
39 Chris Carson Sea, RB
46 Cooper Kupp LAR, WR
67 Raheem Mostert SF, RB
74 Noah Fant Den, TE
95 Jarvis Landry Cle, WR
102 Matthew Stafford LAR, QB
123 Parris Campbell Ind, WR
130 David Johnson Hou, RB
151 Broncos D/ST Den, D/ST
158 Hunter Henry NE, TE
179 Tyler Bass Buf, K

14 teams, 0.5 ppr, 0.05 passing, IDP-style defense scoring

I am not super happy with this draft. Noah was a homer pick and I also have Henry (who is a bit of a lotto ticket, I trust his athleticism and I am hoping Mac takes over strong). But I also picked Henry in a panic after like three guys I wanted were taken ahead of him. Defense seems early but Denver will produce good points in this scoring. Not sure how to feel about Parris, really depends on the other WRs and the QB situation. Mostert and Johnson as my back up RBs is worrying but my hope is I can replace them with waiver guys sooner than later. Otherwise I think it's decent. e: probably worth mentioningg that I was aiming for Herbert but settled for Landry/Stafford on the turn where he was swooped. B-?

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 26, 2021

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Love your first 4 picks, can’t help but feel that WR value would have been better than Mostert at 67 (is it 2 rb 2 wr 1 flex?) especially with Sermon and Lance taking his rushing work. Would rather have Pittman than Campbell. Stafford is ok there, might have been able to hold out for fields or lance and then take a temp qb to tide you over. I don’t think I would have taken Henry, you paid for a good TE and I’d rather have a rookie WR like Rondale Moore or Marshall there. I think you’ve definitely got talent and upside with Ekeler and Ridley, I wouldn’t be down on this.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

buffalo all day posted:

had my first draft last night, 14-team league, 2 keepers, 6 point passing TDs, .5 ppr. 1 QB 2 RB 2 WR 2 FLEX 1 TE 1 D 1 K:

(4) Zeke (top 3 were CMC, Dalvin, Kamara; after me were Jones, Henry, Taylor, Adams, Kelce, Najee, Tyreek, CEH, Ridley, Hopkins)
(25) Amari Cooper
(32) Kyle Pitts
(53) Kyler Murray
(60) Joe Mixon (K)
(81) Deebo Samuel
(88) Antonio Brown
(109) DK Metcalf (K)
(116) Darnell Mooney
(137) Elijah Moore
(144) Mecole Hardman
(165) Giovani Bernard
(172) New England
(193) Rondale Moore
(200) Terrace Marshall Jr.

Strategy was to load up on upside WRs, hope to run through the season with Zeke and Mixon and get floor points with Gio if necessary, scout the wire for more RB depth as poo poo happens.

god bless yahoo for not forcing me to draft a kicker...draft was wild due to 14 teams and 25+ guys getting kept, David Montgomery went 20th overall and Chris Carson was 18th. Damien Harris went in the 3rd round!

Quoting for this page so you can see my 14 team experience (and if anyone wants to tell me I’m a big idiot)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like I've done that. Just completely fumble the wide receivers at the top of the draft and then make up for it with a lot of young fliers at the end of the draft.

Maybe it will work out for you but it has rarely worked out for me.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

kiimo posted:

I feel like I've done that. Just completely fumble the wide receivers at the top of the draft and then make up for it with a lot of young fliers at the end of the draft.

Maybe it will work out for you but it has rarely worked out for me.

Yeah I think the big turning point was taking Pitts over Lockett or Thielen or Diontae. Putting a lot of faith in the idea that having a TE advantage is even more dramatic in a 14 team league. But I think when this blows up my face that’s where I’ll point fingers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm not as high on Pitts either just based on my history with young players. I go overboard on potential and draft players who aren't ready to explode. I can't tell you how many times I drafted a player who became a fantasy star a year after I owned them.

It's just risky to trust first year players. For every Justin Jefferson I tend to draft two Mecole Hardmans. Sure they flash but the consistency isn't there enough for wins

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Pitts years 2+ are when I'd start considering him. Can't bring myself to jump on a rookie TE early.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
If he doesn't get much action this season for being a rookie he will be a great buy low from impatient owners

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
I have done a complete 180 on Pitts and now feel he is absolutely worth targeting in order to potentially get a TE who gives you a weekly advantage. From the reports out of Falcons’ camp, he is basically a TE in name only. They are lining him up constantly as a receiver where he has been dominant and he is barely doing any blocking or in-line work. And now they’re hiding him away during preseason games. He is going to have a major receiving role for this team and is likely to produce more like a rookie WR than a rookie TE.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Yep Pitts is wild in that the bull and bear cases are so clear because there just is no history of success with rookie TEs:

Bull:
Draft capital
Good qb
Minimal competition for targets
Talent/physical profile
Good coaching

Bear:
QB maybe isn’t good?
Rookie TEs are always bad
No really, rookie TEs are always bad
Seriously, rookie TEs are always bad

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So it turns out I'm a big loving idiot that didnt account for byes very well (or maybe I accidentally did?) AND I forgot that this was a 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex league, rather than 2 Flex. I drafted Jacobs where I should have taken McLaurin (as someone mentioned yesterday) AND I took Mooney later on in the draft despite already having ARob. If you were the team on the right, would you accept a trade of Swift and ARob for Diggs and Drake?

I just offered it and he's thinking but I figured I would sanity check with you guys too - doing that trade replaces a Bears WR with a better non-Bears WR and replaces what would be my 4th RB (that would never see the field with only 3 spots to put RBs) with a handcuff to one of my other RBs and a better WR.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Think I heard somewhere that the greatest Rookie TE season of all time would basically be TE5 last year or something like that? I'm probably wrong on the specifics but that was the gist.

Maybe Pitts works out? But for that draft capital I'm way way more likely to get value elsewhere.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

buffalo all day posted:

Yep Pitts is wild in that the bull and bear cases are so clear because there just is no history of success with rookie TEs:

Bull:
Draft capital
Good qb
Minimal competition for targets
Talent/physical profile
Good coaching

Bear:
QB maybe isn’t good?
Rookie TEs are always bad
No really, rookie TEs are always bad
Seriously, rookie TEs are always bad

Brand new head coach. Who knows if they're good yet.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Worrying about byes at this point is getting too cute IMO. Especially in a keeper or dynasty league.

By the time they start hitting in-season, you’ll be in a better position to turn your roster over and make trades/waiver claims and shore up any gaps in your roster to cover the byes.

Team-agnostic, I’d prefer Swift/ARob to Diggs/Drake.

If Fields is as good as advertised, ARob could have a WR1 season. Swift certainly has an RB1 season in his range of outcomes this year and beyond.

Diggs is awesome and has a strong chance to finish as THE WR1, but Drake is basically a flex play with injury upside.

I’m also not a huge fan of handcuffing my own RB in redraft leagues because it limits team upside.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Quarterroys posted:

Worrying about byes at this point is getting too cute IMO. Especially in a keeper or dynasty league.

By the time they start hitting in-season, you’ll be in a better position to turn your roster over and make trades/waiver claims and shore up any gaps in your roster to cover the byes.

If Fields is as good as advertised, ARob could have a WR1 season. Swift certainly has an RB1 season in his range of outcomes this year and beyond.

Diggs is awesome and has a strong chance to finish as THE WR1, but Drake is basically a flex play with injury upside.

I’m also not a huge fan of handcuffing my own RB in redraft leagues because it limits team upside.

Yeah that's a lot to give up in my mind to sort out bye weeks, but i'm in love with Swift this year (moreso than Jacobs) so I may be biased.

Edit: Agreed about handcuffing your own players as well

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Quarterroys posted:

Thank you for this. I've been a little frenetic about it after realizing I screwed up by having two Bears WRs in my top three WRs and seeing the bye issue because it means for a week I'd have only CMC and Jacobs as options, so if either got hurt I'd be hosed, but overall you do make a very good point about Swift+ARob being better than Diggs+Drake.

What about trading Swift or Jacobs for DJ Moore straight up?

edit: I also just remembered that the guy that won the championship last year did it starting Jefferson and Theilen, and yeah Fields might up the value of both ARob and Mooney.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

shirts and skins posted:

Think I heard somewhere that the greatest Rookie TE season of all time would basically be TE5 last year or something like that? I'm probably wrong on the specifics but that was the gist.

Maybe Pitts works out? But for that draft capital I'm way way more likely to get value elsewhere.

Yeah something like that.

No one can say it’s impossible that he returns value at that draft price but it’s not likely at all. Most people aren’t as down on him as it seems, they’re down on the price he’s going at. I’m more than happy to let others take him there.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I usually am one to trust the base rates/trends (like the aforementioned rookie TE slow start) and temper expectations on non-RB rookies in year one, but Pitts is an insane unicorn prospect, and doesn’t even turn 21 until October.

I think his cost in redraft leagues (what is he, 4th round now?) is palatable, but it really depends on your roster build. I think I’d rather pay up for Kelce/Waller/Kittle and catch the end of that WR tier.

Pay whatever you have to to get him on your team now in dynasty leagues, though. He will be a first round startup pick next year in TE premium leagues.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

In general, the reason for the slow start for TEs is cause they have to learn two positions: they have to be receivers and offensive linemen. If they completely outsource the latter duties to Hayden Hurst though and have Pitts focus solely on receiving, then his adjustment to the NFL should be significantly easier.

It’s a harder pill to swallow in a snake draft than auction but I do think he’s the only guy with a ceiling within range of the big three and elite TE production has such a strong correlation with win rate that he’s worth the gamble at his cost. He could be a guy whose weekly upside is 100 yards and a TD and I don’t think any other TE after him can do that.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Tiptoes posted:

I have done a complete 180 on Pitts and now feel he is absolutely worth targeting in order to potentially get a TE who gives you a weekly advantage. From the reports out of Falcons’ camp, he is basically a TE in name only. They are lining him up constantly as a receiver where he has been dominant and he is barely doing any blocking or in-line work. And now they’re hiding him away during preseason games. He is going to have a major receiving role for this team and is likely to produce more like a rookie WR than a rookie TE.

Granting you the "TE in name only" point: rookie wide receviers drafted in days one and two return top-36 value about one-in-five times since 2010, and WR36 is roughly analogous to TE4 in points per game, you're drafting him at his ceiling.

This is before getting into Arthur Smith likely wanting to run the ball down your throat and out your anus

Tiptoes posted:

In general, the reason for the slow start for TEs is cause they have to learn two positions: they have to be receivers and offensive linemen. If they completely outsource the latter duties to Hayden Hurst though and have Pitts focus solely on receiving, then his adjustment to the NFL should be significantly easier.

It’s a harder pill to swallow in a snake draft than auction but I do think he’s the only guy with a ceiling within range of the big three and elite TE production has such a strong correlation with win rate that he’s worth the gamble at his cost. He could be a guy whose weekly upside is 100 yards and a TD and I don’t think any other TE after him can do that.

upside of 100 yards and a touchdown, just stop lol

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
complete list of every rookie WR/TE with multiple 100 yards and a touchdown games since 2000

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dkj posted:

Yeah something like that.

No one can say it’s impossible that he returns value at that draft price but it’s not likely at all. Most people aren’t as down on him as it seems, they’re down on the price he’s going at. I’m more than happy to let others take him there.

This is where I'm at. Dunno where he's going in redraft, but probably too early for me to get him anywhere.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I had such high hopes for Martavis back in the day

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
As a Packers fan, I generally tried to avoid football news this offseason for, y'know, reasons. However, I just realized that I have three fantasy drafts coming up in the next week, so I'm really behind the eight ball.

I have zero compunctions about buying player rankings; I've done it the last few years. Specifically, I've bought the Rotoworld season-long guide for about $50. I can do that again, but I'm sure there are a ton of resources out there and I'm curious if anyone has a comparable resource for free or cheap, or a better resource for a similar price. Ever since the horrible rebrand for Rotoworld (sorry, NBC Sports Edge), I've been a little leery of them, so I just wanted to gauge whether the wise goons are looking elsewhere. Thank you!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

sourdough posted:

This is where I'm at. Dunno where he's going in redraft, but probably too early for me to get him anywhere.

TE4! Between picks 40 and 48! He's a fourth-rounder! People are out of control!

surf rock posted:

As a Packers fan, I generally tried to avoid football news this offseason for, y'know, reasons. However, I just realized that I have three fantasy drafts coming up in the next week, so I'm really behind the eight ball.

I have zero compunctions about buying player rankings; I've done it the last few years. Specifically, I've bought the Rotoworld season-long guide for about $50. I can do that again, but I'm sure there are a ton of resources out there and I'm curious if anyone has a comparable resource for free or cheap, or a better resource for a similar price. Ever since the horrible rebrand for Rotoworld (sorry, NBC Sports Edge), I've been a little leery of them, so I just wanted to gauge whether the wise goons are looking elsewhere. Thank you!

get you a beersheet brother
http://footballabsurdity.com/beersheet-request-form/

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

complete list of every rookie WR/TE with multiple 100 yards and a touchdown games since 2000

Ah but Pitts was drafted before almost all of them, and is a literal unicorn

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Why is this list supposed to convince me a rookie receiver can’t do this? Looks like plenty of guys have done it this century.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

The best guys did it one-third of the time and you said that it was his "weekly upside"

Either weekly upside means nothing in your statement (everyone in the NFL has 100+TD upside) or you thought he could do it more often than 5 or so times

edit: taking Kyle Pitts in the fourth (at ADP) is hoping to reap the whirlwind on a legendarily statistical outlier season that that will, at most, buy you 1.5-2 rounds worth of value.

If you're so hard for a TE take whichever of Waller or Kittle falls to you in the second/third

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 26, 2021

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

Don’t be pedantic. You know I wasn’t saying “he is going to hit 100/1 every week.” That’s his ceiling when you have him in your lineup and it’s not going to be in rare matchups like a Noah Fant.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Noah Fant currently holds the record for 100+TD rookie TE games with 2

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Pitts is really going in the 4th round? That's crazy. Could see a believer taking him in the 6th but not in the 4th potentially over guys like Cooper, Lockett, Kupp, and D. Johnson.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Pitts went R3 in my startup dynasty league.

That same guy then took Kittle in R4.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

They're going to flip Kittle before the draft next year for the highest 1st they can get.

Still a dumb pick.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Yooo, what on earth, this is sick!

Filed two requests; one was already made and another is in the works. This is great poo poo.

One other question for my fellow degenerates in return-yardage leagues: is there anyone fantasy-relevant still doing returns? Lockett and JuJu were for a while, but I don't know if either are at this point.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Noah Fant currently holds the record for 100+TD rookie TE games with 2

Fant is basically a JAG and Pitts is like an elite rookie WR who you can start at TE. I’m not touching him at his ADP just because I’m not big on huge risks early in drafts but he certainly has a ridiculous upside. It’s certainly not crazy to expect him to outperform all recent rookie TE production.

Have they talked about lining him up at WR at all?

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014

surf rock posted:

One other question for my fellow degenerates in return-yardage leagues: is there anyone fantasy-relevant still doing returns? Lockett and JuJu were for a while, but I don't know if either are at this point.

Maybe a few. 4for4 seems to do a decent job covering that front:

https://www.4for4.com/2021/preseason/punt-kickoff-return-depth-chart-and-players-target

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

RCarr posted:

Fant is basically a JAG and Pitts is like an elite rookie WR who you can start at TE. I’m not touching him at his ADP just because I’m not big on huge risks early in drafts but he certainly has a ridiculous upside. It’s certainly not crazy to expect him to outperform all recent rookie TE production.

Have they talked about lining him up at WR at all?
This is from Dave Richard's article after he watched the Falcons/Dolphins joint practices about a week ago:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/f...2021-potential/ posted:

"He's a receiver, basically," Dolphins safety Eric Rowe said after covering him through the first of two practices this week. "He's long. He can move. I know he's going to cause problems."

The problems for defenses begin before the snap. Pitts lined up in the slot, out wide, on the left side, on the right side, in-line like a traditional tight end, just behind the right tackle like a non-traditional tight end, and in the backfield like a fullback. He also frequently ran in motion before the snap to help his quarterback, usually Matt Ryan, figure out what kind of defense the Dolphins were playing.

That was just Thursday.
They are using him all over the field. It's very encouraging.