Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Convex posted:

here's some old Quake stuff (full album of my old scans here https://imgur.com/gallery/R755A)

What is timg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

apparently something that doesn't work on that post as it made nothing show up when I previewed it :ohdear:

also doesn't pretty much any modern browser automatically resize frames now? I don't think I can recall mini text being a problem on the forums within the last decade

edit: lol I had just done a find and replace from "img" to "timg" without noticing every url was now "timgur.com" :v:

Convex fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 26, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Convex posted:

here's some old Quake stuff (full album of my old scans here https://imgur.com/gallery/R755A)

Advertising

Previews

Reviews

Multiplayer

Comic by someone I can't remember, don't think he went on to do much

?

also something time something flat circle something

Funny thing, it works if I quote you?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Please don't embed 100mb of images in a post.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

koren posted:

Please don't embed 100mb of images in a post.

Sorry

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hey, I bought that PC Gamer issue.
Or, well… I guess I really bought that Quake demo CD and accidentally got an issue of PC Gamer with it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Shame that Quake won't be a visually impressive as Bethesda's forthcoming Terminator game.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Volte posted:

There's only one reliable strategy for killing Shamblers in general, and that's to bait their melee attack over and over. If you can get the timing down for that, they aren't especially challenging individually.

That works but it's kind of "advanced mode", and I pretty much never do that repeatedly in a shambler fight. 99% of the time the map will give you a piece of cover like a pillar, or a hall corner to run back and duck behind. Just break line of sight when the big guy starts charging up.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

JLaw posted:

That works but it's kind of "advanced mode", and I pretty much never do that repeatedly in a shambler fight. 99% of the time the map will give you a piece of cover like a pillar, or a hall corner to run back and duck behind. Just break line of sight when the big guy starts charging up.

The hobbled backward running speed in the new official port REALLY fucks with my default strategy for baiting shamblers into their melee attack, so I hope that’s fixed soon. Also don’t be afraid to use other monsters as cover - even if you take damage from the shambler thunderbolt, they’ll have made a new un-friend to distract them while you regroup.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Hasturtium posted:

The hobbled backward running speed in the new official port REALLY fucks with my default strategy for baiting shamblers into their melee attack, so I hope that’s fixed soon. Also don’t be afraid to use other monsters as cover - even if you take damage from the shambler thunderbolt, they’ll have made a new un-friend to distract them while you regroup.
You can just change the backward running speed in the console by setting cl_backspeed to 400 - I did that immediately.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

That Doom vs. Quake bit is pretty disingenuous at spots. "Uniform lighting", they say, highlighting a screenshot of a door clearly lit up brighter than the room surrounding it.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
What's a good/fun setup for the made to order difficulty in blood? I just cleared the first episode on lightly broiled, and those cultists are pretty brutal. For reference, I'm fine with the reaction time of enemies on the Maximum Fury difficulty in Ion Fury; I liked how I could mostly avoid a fair amount of damage if a kept moving but sitting still for any length of time would get you kliled.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The important bit is just turning cultist aggression and accuracy to low or very low, then you can adjust the enemy count or hp to compensate as you see fit

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXw6BkZ-gdY

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone else notice a verbal tick that John Carmack has in that interview? He tends to end his sentences/thoughts with 'mmm'. I've heard him speak before, but never noticed that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I kind of think that was mentioned in Masters of Doom

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Look up any old QuakeCon keynote and you'll hear it there too.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
What blows my mind is that Carmack did all that poo poo back in 96, meanwhile Blizzard took 2 years after release to get spectator options for a game they planned to make an esport.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone else notice a verbal tick that John Carmack has in that interview? He tends to end his sentences/thoughts with 'mmm'. I've heard him speak before, but never noticed that.

Angryhead posted:

Look up any old QuakeCon keynote and you'll hear it there too.

He has done this for a long time. Around the early 2000s he started going to speech therapy for it. I noticed that last year in his Q&As for VR stuff, its starting to show back up again.

At some point he got really into BJJ and was looking pretty buff too.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 26, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Didn;t know how short he was until he made a dumb tweet about Starlink or Space X or some stupid bullshit and he was standing with Musk.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It's pretty well 'known', although I don't remember hearing it in his keynotes of the last three years.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Groovelord Neato posted:

Third person shooters should be illegal.

this is true except for RE4

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

It's pretty well 'known', although I don't remember hearing it in his keynotes of the last three years.

Then I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Also, I'm watching the 2017 Quake post-mortem with Romero, and what stuck out to me is he mentions, at one point, "I don't remember why we did <such and such>...", and I'm thinking holy poo poo, how does he not remember something?

John, I hope you're well.

Edit: this is sarcasm, btw.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 27, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

holy poo poo, how does he not remember something?

he's 53 and was rich and famous in the 90's

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Vanquish too.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Back in the 90s I was a very famous Gaaaaame dev.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Convex posted:

he's 53 and was rich and famous in the 90's

I was mostly kidding, since he has hyperthymesia, which has led to an insanely good memory.

This is evident every time he gently and politely slams someone else, like Tim Willetts, for either misremembering or making poo poo up, and corrects them in detail.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

Funny thing, it works if I quote you?

Dude edit your post and remove the links lmao

Carmack has a ton of verbal ticks. I've met him in person and always noticed it right away. Dude's a genius who cares.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Voodoo Cafe posted:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Vanquish too.

re4 vanquish and dead space are canonical imo

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was gonna say that I just finished Total Overdose and it was quite fun, but then I remembered that the Max Payne fans are now coming for you. You might be able to save yourself if you distract them by asking if Max Payne 3 is good or not?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Groovelord Neato posted:

Max Payne? Hello?? Excuse me???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Make it a first person shooter and stop wasting my time.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Max Payne? Hello?? Excuse me???

oh yeah max payne ftw.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
god i loving love videogam,es

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ArfJason posted:

god i loving love videogam,es

what the gently caress......
:catstare:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
if u alt fire on the zombies in blood with the shotgun they won't get up again . . . blew my mind

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Still working my way through the Quake remaster, made it to the extended E2M6 today.

It's cool to see a new area that was supposed to be part of the level, but on the other hand the fact that the entire area has the same cave wall texture makes it feel kind of unfinished.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Back in the 90s I was a very famous Gaaaaame dev.

Doom was THE game in the early-mid 90s though. I don't think there was quite such an enormous indie success prior to that. Direct line from that to Bill Gates wanting it on Windows > DirectX > Xbox > etc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Then I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Also, I'm watching the 2017 Quake post-mortem with Romero, and what stuck out to me is he mentions, at one point, "I don't remember why we did <such and such>...", and I'm thinking holy poo poo, how does he not remember something?

John, I hope you're well.

Serious? Dude I can't remember the projects I worked on 6 months ago in complete detail much less years ago. That's nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
New trailer for FEAR-like indie FPS Trepang2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU1hbxDnmjk

Release sometime next year.