Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sydin posted:

-The hard city limit sucks rear end, I much prefer Civ's approach of letting you make as many as you want with the caveat that if you go too wide too fast you'll cripple yourself, creating a more soft limit on expansion.

That is how it works in this game too, though. You can go over the city cap by several cities so long as you are pumping out enough influence to tank the penalties for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

That is how it works in this game too, though. You can go over the city cap by several cities so long as you are pumping out enough influence to tank the penalties for it.

the first penalty is also really pitiful - it's just -10 influence per turn which you can easily deal with even in the very early game

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
even on the slowest setting you'll smash through eras with your infrastructure and development lagging far behind. it's a nasty combination of population, science and influence gains being really easy to come by but production ability remaining relatively static.

but I also want to build too many quarters, emblematic ones specifically, so it keeps me from being able to crank out main plaza stuff.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
As someone looking to expand my current holdings by 24 (or more) territories, is there a formula or chart showing how the influence loss per turn increases for going over the city cap? The one on the wiki seems to be based off one of the earlier builds.

Also, city cap techs should be tied to map size. There's nowhere near a large enough number for a huge map, and there's almost certainly too high a cap for a small map.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oh really? lmao I saw the cap up in the corner and assumed you couldn't go over it. I swear I tried and it didn't work but maybe I just didn't have enough influence.

Another dumb question: why is the AI allowed to send units into my territory despite us having closed borders without having to declare war on me? If I try to move a unit into their borders I get a popup saying I have to declare war to move there, meanwhile every 10 turns or so this same neighbor sends a military unit into my territory and attacks a stack, generating a grievance. Is there some kind of raiding stance I'm unaware of?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Oh really? lmao I saw the cap up in the corner and assumed you couldn't go over it. I swear I tried and it didn't work but maybe I just didn't have enough influence.

Another dumb question: why is the AI allowed to send units into my territory despite us having closed borders without having to declare war on me? If I try to move a unit into their borders I get a popup saying I have to declare war to move there, meanwhile every 10 turns or so this same neighbor sends a military unit into my territory and attacks a stack, generating a grievance. Is there some kind of raiding stance I'm unaware of?

expansionist cultures can always trespass regardless of border policy, it's their trait

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Your Computer posted:

expansionist cultures can always trespass regardless of border policy, it's their trait

Just to add on, expansionist is great for starting poo poo with a nation that you can't generate a grievance against, and if you're annoyed with not getting the full spoils of a successful war, leave out an outpost you can get to easily from the surrender and use the expansionist ability. I was really surprised at how useful this ability is compared to some of the others.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Minor gripes:

The ICBM project doesn't allow nukes to reach other continents. Just gives them a veterancy star? What benefit does that even have?

Also nuking an opponent makes them significantly less likely to surrender. I get that historically, this is a HUGE can of worms, but it's odd that removing an entire city from the map actually makes the war last longer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sydin posted:

If you are building new then there might be an issue with your current amount of influence, yeah. Above the cap you start just getting a penalty to your influence gain, with the first one being -10, second -100, and so on from there. On my last successful game I ended up with 13 cities with a city cap of 9 just because I was making enough influence that it didn't go into the red.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Computer posted:

loving Greece :argh:

The good news is by throwing their troops into mine they're generating loads of grievances and it's only a matter of time before I can war their dumb asses out of existence for good.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

How do you "win a battle on Imperialist Empire" or "win a battle on Relations"? Does "on" mean "against" or "as"?

from https://humankind.fandom.com/wiki/Civic (btw is this the best resource for the game atm?)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

greazeball posted:

How do you "win a battle on Imperialist Empire" or "win a battle on Relations"? Does "on" mean "against" or "as"?

from https://humankind.fandom.com/wiki/Civic (btw is this the best resource for the game atm?)

I imagine "win a battle on" is like "win a war on", but with battle, because Amplitude are ESL.

I'm not sure what Relations are. I guess it's just the other Empires (as opposed to barb/city state units).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

greazeball posted:

The grammar this game uses to describe bonuses is really weird and unintuitive. "On" means completely different things depending on context. These two civics are actually:

"Anti-Imperialists: +20 war support when winning a battle against an empire with the Imperialist civic"
"Imperialist: +10 war support when winning a battle against any empire."

Megazver posted:

Amplitude are ESL.

I figured this was the case, but I'm surprised English localization wasn't a higher priority. Maybe they'll patch the grammar because some of it is really ambiguous and hard to understand.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
It seems to me that the one who takes the new world takes the game. Am I wrong about this? It’s a whole continent full of resources. But then again, I think you lot know a lot more about these games than I do, maybe I’m not seeing something.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Helion posted:

It seems to me that the one who takes the new world takes the game. Am I wrong about this? It’s a whole continent full of resources. But then again, I think you lot know a lot more about these games than I do, maybe I’m not seeing something.

Correct. Goons are recommending that you play without it, it seems to be a "whoever explores the ocean wins" mechanic at this point.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Helion posted:

nah i've posted the same, as have several others

i just play with that setting off now because the ai doesn't really know what to do with it so it's a free continent for you

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Fair enough. Thanks for the confirmation that I’m not just missing something obvious!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In my current run having just hit the Industrial era and set up my first New World colony, somehow Greece found out about the independent people I found there (they've not sailed anybody up to explore and I'm not sharing map information with them? Who knows) and they immediately assimilated them. So I've got one other power setting up on the New World with me. Well, at least for now. :black101:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That honestly sounds like the bug where player 3 gains influence with every single independent peoples on the map, even if player 3 has never met them or invested anything into gaining influence.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Hellioning posted:

That honestly sounds like the bug where player 3 gains influence with every single independent peoples on the map, even if player 3 has never met them or invested anything into gaining influence.

Ha! This explains that happening in my game. What an odd bug.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Chamale posted:

The grammar this game uses to describe bonuses is really weird and unintuitive. "On" means completely different things depending on context. These two civics are actually:

"Anti-Imperialists: +20 war support when winning a battle against an empire with the Imperialist civic"

Is there any way to know who's chosen the Imperialist civic though? This card seems to be the only hit for that word on the wiki so I can check my opponents' biases maybe and guess if they've gotten it and what they picked? The choice seems to be: be an imperialist to get +10 war support against everybody (but they could get +20 against you) or be an anti-imperialist and possibly get +20 against somebody but nobody gets extra bonuses against you. It's an interesting choice to make right before the new world gets carved up.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chamale posted:

I've yet to see a 4X game that solves the problem of snowballing. Maybe they should replicate real history and create a "useless paper-pusher" job that doesn't do anything and drags your empire down. The longer you have the biggest empire, the more of them you get.

this literally happens in stellaris but it doesnt do anything other than make players micromanage jobs harder

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hellioning posted:

That would make a lot of sense, this is the only faction I've seen assimilate and they did 2/3 of the independent peoples on my original continent (The third was hostile and very close to my capital so I toppled them relatively quickly) and they somehow magically assimilated one on the opposite side of the map they've shouldn't have known about.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hellioning posted:

It's such a bizarrely specific bug, and it has a major impact on gameplay. I wonder if they've tried patching it by having the game internally label players as 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The real pain in the rear end of the influence bug is that there doesn't seem to be influence decay so you end up being able to easily outpace the bug with some cash but you can't assimilate them because you didn't get there first.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
when you're at 100 affinity but in 2nd place, you can donate them money or influence to jump to 1st until your opponent does the same.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fur20 posted:

this literally happens in stellaris but it doesnt do anything other than make players micromanage jobs harder

Yeah, that seems like the kind of overly complex fix that could introduce its own set of problems. I feel like a good starting point would be to just make district costs scale more aggressively so you can't spam them out as easily in the late game. That's the biggest source of snowballing currently. Districts are dirt cheap compared to infrastructure, even when you have dozens of them already.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah I'm not gonna lie that bug is the entire reason I'm not playing this game right now. It's just too annoying to deal with.

It's not the only problem in this game, not by a long shot, but it is the only one where I feel it impacts my enjoyment enough to wait for a fix.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Chamale posted:

I figured this was the case, but I'm surprised English localization wasn't a higher priority. Maybe they'll patch the grammar because some of it is really ambiguous and hard to understand.

Yeah, this was an issue all through ES2 and EL.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So I've finished my second game and will be waiting for the influence bug fix and some adjustment to resource generation. Both games I got to the contemporary era and there just aren't enough resources to actually build a lot of the late game stuff (even on the max sized world).

This last game I had a very slow start and was last to pick but snagged Phoenicians with a great starting spot and then went into Carthage after. Halfway through that era I just pulled far enough away that I just broke the game totally open during my time as the Byzantines. I was able to buy enough buildings/districts to be making 15k a turn before the industrial era. I got enough stars to go contemporary before I was even researching the early modern techs.

I'm sure if I was better I could have maximized that gold income even better but it was not needed at all. It's neat that every build seems to break the game in some way.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
You guys weren't kidding, the Khmer are nuts. Probably a good thing, because the English I was slam-picking before are also nuts with their place anywhere super-farm forts.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, that seems like the kind of overly complex fix that could introduce its own set of problems. I feel like a good starting point would be to just make district costs scale more aggressively so you can't spam them out as easily in the late game. That's the biggest source of snowballing currently. Districts are dirt cheap compared to infrastructure, even when you have dozens of them already.

Yeah like I only build infrastructure when it's below an industry district in cost...but even then I don't know if it's worth it, I just hate having that infrastructure not being there. But like once you get a city going it's maybe 4 turns at most for an industry district or 3 for an outdated piece of infrastructure that's only that quick because I've been spam building industry districts....which also make industry districts cheaper to build, etc etc etc.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My first colony, because of all the colony boost techs, ended up having more infrastructure pre-built into it then some of my core cities because I just never bothered with it much, lol.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Eimi posted:

Yeah like I only build infrastructure when it's below an industry district in cost...but even then I don't know if it's worth it, I just hate having that infrastructure not being there. But like once you get a city going it's maybe 4 turns at most for an industry district or 3 for an outdated piece of infrastructure that's only that quick because I've been spam building industry districts....which also make industry districts cheaper to build, etc etc etc.

You really should at least build the production-oriented infrastructures. The OP thing to do is to mostly ignore food/farmers quarters and instead focus on building a shitton of makers quarters along with the infrastructure buildings, and maybe the pyramids if you can claim those. You'll end up with thousands of production and the ability to build multiple districts a turn even after you've already built a few dozen of them. Once you get your production rolling, build a shitload of academy districts and you win the game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

You really should at least build the production-oriented infrastructures. The OP thing to do is to mostly ignore food/farmers quarters and instead focus on building a shitton of makers quarters along with the infrastructure buildings, and maybe the pyramids if you can claim those. You'll end up with thousands of production and the ability to build multiple districts a turn even after you've already built a few dozen of them. Once you get your production rolling, build a shitload of academy districts and you win the game.

Yeah, I can't say I've ever gotten it that good, but yeah that's my general game experience. Just squeaking by with whatever science is autogenerated, building industry, and then in early modern or modern era, shift form no science to ALL the science, getting to 50k+ before the game ends.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I lost that game with the 150+ turn war because the ai loving over polluted and ended the game before I could march on their cities :mad:

(it was fun)

now on to a no water no circumnavigate humankind game with custom avatars from their silly website

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Where do you get the pop to actually staff the makers quarters slots with no food? In my (limited) experience you need to churn out farmers quarters pretty regularly to stop cities from settling into a gain/lose pop cycle.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So Pink AI picked Mongols. welp.

I did Pangea no new world etc, and Pink has just smashed every other AI, gobbled up every free city for free, and has like a dozen cities.

It's funny because I think their cities are rebelling? But then they just get them back for free.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sydin posted:

Where do you get the pop to actually staff the makers quarters slots with no food? In my (limited) experience you need to churn out farmers quarters pretty regularly to stop cities from settling into a gain/lose pop cycle.

Well, first of all you don't need to staff districts to make use of them. Most of your yields by the end are from district exploitations and not from your pops. I did build some farms in the early game though to kickstart my growth, just not a lot of them. To continue growing I would just assign more farmers, and trade for food-giving luxuries (Salt and Saffron were abundant on my starting continent). I also eliminated my neighbor within the first 15 turns and expanded rapidly across the continent before the other two civs that were there could. This allowed me to hoover up a lot of those resources for myself. This was enough to sustain me until the Medieval era, whereupon I picked Khmer, built the Angkor Wat, and chose the communal land civic. Between those bonuses, I was pretty set on food from that point on. Eventually I built Machu Pichu which boosted my empire's food output to even more ridiculous levels despite my relative lack of farms. I had surpluses in the hundreds in 40-pop cities with no farmers quarters by the end of my campaign.

This is some random city I founded 5 turns prior to this screenshot. No, really. It takes a bit of a balancing act getting to this point, I'll admit, but it's doable by picking just about every food bonus that doesn't involve actually having farmers quarters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
Any workarounds to disable the Magenta AI bug, even obnoxious ones?