Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

realbez posted:

Epstein Barr? It’s a herpes virus that most of us have/have had that causes glandular fever among other unpleasant things.

Sounds right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

NSW Government making inspection of investment properties the only legal form of entertainment wasnt really surprising but a bit on the nose to outright just say it.

I guess NSW has reached its final form.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
882 in NSW today, good job all, we've fixed it

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Laserface posted:

NSW Government making inspection of investment properties the only legal form of entertainment wasnt really surprising but a bit on the nose to outright just say it.

I guess NSW has reached its final form.

I thought that was a joke but JFC they're still allowing investor inspections.

If I was renting a place in NSW right now and they were sending inspections through I'd just be sitting in the middle of the room coughing loudly whenever anyone entered.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Senor Tron posted:

If I was renting a place in NSW right now and they were sending inspections through I'd just be sitting in the middle of the room coughing loudly whenever anyone entered.

so you’d have covid, checks out

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

its inspections of investment properties, not rental inspections (which are still allowed on empty premises by appointment only and 1 person at a time. I just did a few to get a new place)

i suppose you could still inspect an investment that had a tenant, but you'd hope the tenant had enough of a clue to either say no or GTFO while they are having unvaccinated boomers traipse thru their house.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

Yeah I dunno if I'm willing to give China praise for having the political guts to contain and eliminate covid, given everything else they contain and eliminate.

I am almost certainly dipping into racial prejudice by now with how uncomfortable their system makes me, but I'd trust their reports of containment/elimination about as much as I'd trust Trump predicting a hurricane, or Abbott to look after me while I'm sick.

Why? Australia and New Zealand have also proved it's possible and China implemented harsher lockdowns and restrictions than we ever did. If COVID was actually burning through their hospital system it wouldn't be possible for them to hush it up.

Anyway, more good news:

https://twitter.com/ProfPCDoherty/status/1431039478135619584

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Laserface posted:

its inspections of investment properties, not rental inspections (which are still allowed on empty premises by appointment only and 1 person at a time. I just did a few to get a new place)

i suppose you could still inspect an investment that had a tenant, but you'd hope the tenant had enough of a clue to either say no or GTFO while they are having unvaccinated boomers traipse thru their house.

I did a search to confirm they were still allowing them and the article had quotes about tenants being asked to leave their home so investors could come through to inspect it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

Why? Australia and New Zealand have also proved it's possible and China implemented harsher lockdowns and restrictions than we ever did. If COVID was actually burning through their hospital system it wouldn't be possible for them to hush it up.

Anyway, more good news:

https://twitter.com/ProfPCDoherty/status/1431039478135619584

It's Good News Week :toot:Might be remembering wrongly but didn't China suppress news/information of the outbreak, both internally and externally?

I do not think their system should get praised at all, in any category, no matter how big or meaningful, because of how the state treats its people. I don't mean that like war is inevitable. I don't mean that like Australia or other democratic countries get a free pass on our horrible poo poo we do to other countries and our own people.

Like I said, I'm noticing lately my feelings are starting from an automatic prejudice racism territory, that said the state of China makes me deeply uncomfortable, sending praise its way raises my eyebrow the same way praising fascism does.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I hope the rest of Australia stays safe long enough to get our kids vaccinated. That's the "light at the end of the tunnel" for me. Quite frankly the idea of opening up while everyone under the age of 16 is at risk is abhorrent to me.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Eediot Jedi posted:

It's Good News Week :toot:Might be remembering wrongly but didn't China suppress news/information of the outbreak, both internally and externally?

I do not think their system should get praised at all, in any category, no matter how big or meaningful, because of how the state treats its people. I don't mean that like war is inevitable. I don't mean that like Australia or other democratic countries get a free pass on our horrible poo poo we do to other countries and our own people.

Like I said, I'm noticing lately my feelings are starting from an automatic prejudice racism territory, that said the state of China makes me deeply uncomfortable, sending praise its way raises my eyebrow the same way praising fascism does.

No, the Chinese government did not conspire about covid and you shouldn't become a conspricist through anxiety

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 27, 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

With the vaccine being approved for all 12 and up does that mean they are now included in the 80% target?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

I did a search to confirm they were still allowing them and the article had quotes about tenants being asked to leave their home so investors could come through to inspect it.

fair enough, I suppose I got lucky with all my rental inspections already being vacated.

Im not sure why anyone needed to be inspecting properties when people are buying poo poo sight unseen as its the only way to get in before some boomer oval office with a bankroll turns up and outbids you.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

abigserve posted:

I hope the rest of Australia stays safe long enough to get our kids vaccinated. That's the "light at the end of the tunnel" for me. Quite frankly the idea of opening up while everyone under the age of 16 is at risk is abhorrent to me.

The government is still in the kids can't get covid mindset they were in last year

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.

Sierra Madre posted:

I wasn't able to make a booking for the vaccine in time on Wednesday (stuck at work) and now there's seemingly no appointments available in Melbourne. Anyone had any success with walk-ins or is it best to keep refreshing the page in the hopes that something opens up?

i booked for the showgrounds last night, so maybe just check bookings at the bigger state-run places each evening? there'll be cancellations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

The Peccadillo posted:

No, the Chinese government did not conspire about covid and you shouldn't become a conspricist through anxiety

I don't mean covid was made in a lab poo poo, cheers bro. AFAIK doctors were suppressed for speaking up about the severity of the outbreak, that it could transmit from human to human, and were given the disappearance treatment for it, including journalists and citizen journalists reporting in Wuhan too.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

With the vaccine being approved for all 12 and up does that mean they are now included in the 80% target?

This is a very good question and I eagerly await it not being asked by our fearless media.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Every now and then big batches seem to drop, so check quickly every day?

Last night there were a bunch of spots (a month or so worth) in Sunshine and none at Jeff's shed, but by this morning the Sunshine appointments had disappeared and a bunch showed up at Jeff's shed. Managed to get Pfizer on 4 Sept

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Eediot Jedi posted:

There was an article about research that suggested long-covid is caused by a reactivation of a dormant virus present in 95% of the population the other day. The virus was Epstein-Bsomething?

But hoooboy (no relation to hooman) what a gamble letting rip will be. Thanks Gladys, Scott.

hoooboy is my large perfect son GoldStandardConure

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
I like this thread better when we don't obsess over what china did/didn't do tbh

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

According to this article ACT is including 12-15 year olds in it's targets, but I don' think the others are.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-27/covid-vaccine-rates-state-by-state/100410718

E: another takeaway from that article is that if we open up at 80% of total population there's potentially going to be rural areas that have much lower rates that will get hosed hard. Particularly given their comparably worse healthcare systems. I hope the National party is bringing this to the attention of their city based Liberal coalition members!

Periphery fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 27, 2021

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Tommunist posted:

I like this thread better when we don't obsess over what china did/didn't do tbh

Same except NSW

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tommunist posted:

Realbz get back on discord we miss you

Im on a fast paced posting holiday

Senor Tron posted:

Doctor on abc radio just said no. Those figures are 16 and up only.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

hoooboy is my large perfect son GoldStandardConure

*extremely rick flair voice*

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Eediot Jedi posted:

I am almost certainly dipping into racial prejudice by now with how uncomfortable their system makes me, but I'd trust their reports of containment/elimination about as much as I'd trust Trump predicting a hurricane, or Abbott to look after me while I'm sick.

considering we've seen multiple jurisdictions successfully suppress alpha?

edit: already raised. nm

hambeet fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 27, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Peccadillo posted:

Mate, they're an authoritarian state led by a President-for-life genocidal piece of poo poo, of course they loving tried to hush it up. That's what authoritarian states do.

gently caress, even* the US is doing it with under-reporting and deliberately falsifying death certificates and you think China wasn't? Especially in the early days before they realised just how badly things were going to get?

* "even" here used in the context of a much more open country to things like press freedoms and political opposition, not that the US is, in any way, not an authoritarian state.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tommunist posted:

wow another china defender has logged on

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Eediot Jedi posted:

I don't mean covid was made in a lab poo poo, cheers bro. AFAIK doctors were suppressed for speaking up about the severity of the outbreak, that it could transmit from human to human, and were given the disappearance treatment for it, including journalists and citizen journalists reporting in Wuhan too.

That didn't happen

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

Absolutely nothing wrong with being uncomfortable about a totalitarian dictatorship becoming an increasingly prominent global power, and yes they did try to cover poo poo up at the start.

But there are a lot of e.g. Americans who say "you can't believe their numbers" simply because they refuse to believe it's actually possible to control the pandemic. I have no problem believing that China managed to achieve an ongoing elimination status quo on par with our own, because, well, we did it, as did a bunch of other countries, so why not China too?

That's not "praising" them so much as it's recognising that hard and fast elimination policies work, and if Europe and America had followed that lead early on, maybe we could have smothered COVID in its crib before it spread to parts of the world that were never going to have the capability to follow that sort of lockdown policy, plus mutated into Delta which appears to defeat the lockdown policy anyway.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

That didn't happen

Yes it did

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55355401

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Crisis actors brah

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Didn't you know, it's all the CIA now.

Every single person in China, especially the Uyghurs, are all CIA plants.

Coronavirus? Not even real. Nano-CIA agents injected into the bloodstream.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Didn't you know, it's all the CIA now.

Every single person in China, especially the Uyghurs, are all CIA plants.

Coronavirus? Not even real. Nano-CIA agents injected into the bloodstream.

pretty sure this was the plan for one of the attempts on Castro

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

realbez posted:

Im on a fast paced posting holiday

Doctor on abc radio just said no. Those figures are 16 and up only.

Haha gently caress that then.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So Friendly Jordies has the NSW LNP deputy premier dead to rights in the NSW LNP deputy premier own witness statement that clearly shows he's guilty of corruption - using the NSW police to attempt to sue Friendly Jordies in a civil trial.

In unrelated news, can someone with recent experience tell me, how is the IT job market right now? I have urgent interest in the matter. Does Jobseeker still need you to look for 20 jobs a week? It's been awhile since I needed to worry about...that sort of thing.

Looking at seek.com, a lot of the jobs seem to be "Do you breath and can you do the Office 365 thing support oh god is there someone who knows this" and "Do you know how to share a file in SharePoint? Welcome aboard Mr SharePoint Administrator".

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Comstar posted:

So Friendly Jordies has the NSW LNP deputy premier dead to rights in the NSW LNP deputy premier own witness statement that clearly shows he's guilty of corruption - using the NSW police to attempt to sue Friendly Jordies in a civil trial.
How so?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk4XR6lsQ3o

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is there a shorter version that involves not sitting through a friendly jordies video

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alf_pogs posted:

is there a shorter version that involves not sitting through a friendly jordies video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The Peccadillo posted:

That didn't happen
Really?