Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Tbh I've never really been high on the whole really good dline thing considering my whole life the eagles defense has only ever been good when the back 7 was good (dawkins, trotter, vincent etc). My football opinions are very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tampa won a super bowl with Tom Brady

(:ssh: And a good dline)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

I heard that

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Re eagles: it's really hard for teams to lose 12-13 games. Only the truly truly terrible organizations lose 10 plus games in back-to-back seasons.

Easy jokes aside, just by dint of the randomness and variance of the NFL, it's really unlikely they finish with fewer than 7 wins.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
eagles going undefeated because chaos

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The playoffs see about 6-7 new teams every year, injuries are essentially random and have a huge impact on team records, and lots of other factors contribute as well.

I'm not saying Philly fans should be excited about this year, but it's not outlandish to think they'll be in the playoff hunt since only one NFCE team has an actual QB, and we saw how that went last year. :(

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Asproigerosis posted:

Tbh I've never really been high on the whole really good dline thing considering my whole life the eagles defense has only ever been good when the back 7 was good (dawkins, trotter, vincent etc). My football opinions are very good.

god that amazing 2003-2004 secondary really fell apart quick. Michael Lewis wtf happened to you

euphronius posted:

secondary matters more than dline anymore

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/alecander95/sta...00%2Fframe.html

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The nfl has horrifically bad management top to bottom

It’s really astounding it exists anymore . The players do try hard and are pretty good

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

blarzgh posted:

Re eagles: it's really hard for teams to lose 12-13 games. Only the truly truly terrible organizations lose 10 plus games in back-to-back seasons.

Easy jokes aside, just by dint of the randomness and variance of the NFL, it's really unlikely they finish with fewer than 7 wins.

Yeah the amount of parity in the league and the distinction between good and bad teams is much more razor thin and luck based than we think it is. A few injuries here and there, couple of doinked field goals or turnovers, some breakout player shining through, turnovers and even special teams play can swing seasons.

The average margin of victory in this league is around 3 points and just about every player on every team is really loving good at football. As a stat head, I realize you certainly know this

blarzgh posted:

The playoffs see about 6-7 new teams every year, injuries are essentially random and have a huge impact on team records, and lots of other factors contribute as well.

I'm not saying Philly fans should be excited about this year, but it's not outlandish to think they'll be in the playoff hunt since only one NFCE team has an actual QB, and we saw how that went last year. :(

Gee, which QB could that be, I wonder?

I remind myself every year of this trend though when I make my preseason picks and always look for "sleepers". This poo poo never goes the way we think it will. Is it really 6 or 7 new playoff teams every year though? That seems awfully high. 3 or 4 per conference. And are we factoring in the expanded format?

Some team (or teams) are gonna come out of nowhere and kick some unexpected rear end this year though. We know that. I don't think the Eagles are gonna be one of them, much as I'd like to but who knows? I'd be hard pressed to think of 6-7 new playoff teams for this season but maybe...I can make a case for:

MIA, SF, ARI, MIN, SD, DAL, LAR, NE are all possible so that's 8 right there and maybe I'm idiot and you're right.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Gee, which QB could that be, I wonder?

You know me too well, lol

But I'm trying to be objective about it! (Sometimes)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
EDIT: The average number of RETURNING playoff teams is about 6.4, yeah

(I read it wrong)

So that makes it 5.4 new teams every year, from 1991 through 2018, and I bet the percentage is higher now once you cut out the pre-free-agency seasons, and add 2019-2020

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 27, 2021

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

lmaooooo

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'll take some quiet satisfaction if Haskins supplants Big Ben and turns into a legit NFL QB for a great organization.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

euphronius posted:

Chip was great because he looked like a Nazi hobbit

Looked like? :thunk:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll take some quiet satisfaction if Haskins supplants Big Ben and turns into a legit NFL QB for a great organization.

4-11 for 29 yards and one int tonight. Looks legit.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

My team sucks rear end but I also don't trust anything Haskins says. Rivera isn't Joe Gibbs but he's also not utterly incompetent. Maybe Haskins finally got a scouting report with no multisyllabic words?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Alright ditch Hurts already I'm ready for Minshew Mania.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

yo :stare:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

WE JUST SKYROCKETED TO 10 WINS

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The season is saved, eagles fans!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Nice. I've been pushing for this move for a while if you check my post history but honestly surprised the Jags couldn't pry Zach Ertz away though given their need at TE. I'd rather have have Zach than a 6th rounder right now and the Birds seem done with him anyway. Ertz would help Trevor Lawrence a little and Gardner is a perfectly fine back up.

Way better than Flacco at this stage. I like it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 28, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Minishww is the 3rd string right ?

They are paying flacco a lot

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

It's preseason. After this move, it wouldn't shock me if they cut Flacco. He sucks.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

euphronius posted:

I hope not

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Looks like the QB Factory is back in business boys!

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
NFC East 2021: Dak Prescott is a top 6 QB (in his division).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wow I love this move :)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The eagles just rightfully won the offseason again. Hang another pennant.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Minshew's OK, especially as a back up.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Minshew is much better than Hurts. I'm disappointed, I wanted them to trade for Foles, who cannot play, and hasn't been able to play for years.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Marklar posted:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Marklar posted:

:yeah:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Playing Baltimore in preseason is like playing the 1985 Bears

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the 1985 Bears weren’t even that good

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yeah if flacco isn't cut then someone needs to throw howard in the delaware. Powerful koy detmer vibes right now, things are looking good for eagles future baby!!

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
A conditional 6th seems ok for Minshew.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

A conditional 6th seems ok for Minshew.

Agreed.

Cross post from AFC Souf thread:

I'd slot Minshew's upside as something along the lines of a Teddy Bridgewater, which is not great but fine for a backup or a spot starter. I watched him play a lot here in Jax on a god awful football team with very little help and he certainly had his moments and I think he'd be OK with some talent around him. He was far from the Jags' biggest issue and I'd take him as a backup over CJ Beathard - or loving Flacco for that matter - who's been shot for 3 or 4 years now.

Minshew's style seems like a good fit for backing up Hurts too so Philly getting him for a 6th seems almost a steal to me.

And lol I heard the Texans wanted 3 firsts and change from Philly for Desean Watson so, yeah, gently caress that noise.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Agreed.

Cross post from AFC Souf thread:

I'd slot Minshew's upside as something along the lines of a Teddy Bridgewater, which is not great but fine for a backup or a spot starter. I watched him play a lot here in Jax on a god awful football team with very little help and he certainly had his moments and I think he'd be OK with some talent around him. He was far from the Jags' biggest issue and I'd take him as a backup over CJ Beathard - or loving Flacco for that matter - who's been shot for 3 or 4 years now.

Minshew's style seems like a good fit for backing up Hurts too so Philly getting him for a 6th seems almost a steal to me.

And lol I heard the Texans wanted 3 firsts and change from Philly for Desean Watson so, yeah, gently caress that noise.

Also saw something that said he wouldn’t waive his no trade clause for Philly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Game-Blouses posted:

Also saw something that said he wouldn’t waive his no trade clause for Philly.

I don't give a poo poo. gently caress him.