Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

This is the Mike Richards of game show threads

:catstare: you gonna straight up slander the goons itt just like that, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2CUba9jLss

harkening back to when the worst thing associated with jeopardy was their attempt to shoehorn a bonus round in place of final jeopardy.

also, somebody uploaded the first j! pilot with alex trebek with a decent, non-potato bitrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhGbylDYiMc

Wow had never seen this old of a Jeopardy! episode and you can really tell how they tried to keep that 70s "game show" aesthetic and gameplay. I'm glad they shifted away from that into more of a "trivia" show rather than a "game show" like Match Game, Card Sharks, etc.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Weaponized Autism posted:

Wow had never seen this old of a Jeopardy! episode and you can really tell how they tried to keep that 70s "game show" aesthetic and gameplay. I'm glad they shifted away from that into more of a "trivia" show rather than a "game show" like Match Game, Card Sharks, etc.

The German version had the cheap look of those 90s/early 00s revivals.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Weaponized Autism posted:

Yeah. That's why I've watched Jeopardy for 30 years and no other game show. They all have some flashy bullshit.

I think this is part of why the host selection has become so contested. We have to have high standards, because if some Hollywood rear end in a top hat gets their hands on it it will just turn into Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh yeah, other foreign versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvbExEWrXT4&t=110s

italy's version got a revival in the 90s, notable for the host catching one of the contestants trying to sneak notes in her blouse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wfg95vVdTk

(the italian and german versions are also worth pointing out for going with a double-or-nothing question on a specialty category instead of final jeopardy -- der grosse preis had contestants bringing an expert on their chosen subject to adjudicate for the final)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyQa6e1FNmI

also, japan's version ("quiz grand prix") ran fifteen minutes and had five players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYsehoK6BPY

(before anyone asks, no, i'm like this with just about any game show, not just jeopardy)

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 27, 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2CUba9jLss

also, somebody uploaded the first j! pilot with alex trebek with a decent, non-potato bitrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhGbylDYiMc

This was a fantastic episode, lots of lead changes. I'm still legit sad that Concentration wasn't the game that captured America's heart though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 27, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This was a fantastic episode, lots of lead changes. I'm still legit sad that Concentration wasn't the game that captured America's heart though.

:same:

I have fond memories of it from days off from school in the early-90's

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a-shin t-bonehen?

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

a-shin t-bonehen?

A-Legs T-Rib-Peck

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kinda cheating to just put the word there.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of alex trebek -- here's a pilot of him hosting an italian format, a cross between hollywood squares and the dating game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u-PSmTvQXo

mearn posted:

A-Legs T-Rib-Peck

...no, i don't see it.

( :haw: )

(but in all seriousness, those wanting to see alex trebek in gaudy 80s sweaters will be pleased to know that you can watch it here: https://buzzrtv.com/watch )

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 27, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wfg95vVdTk&t=115s

italy's version got a revival in the 90s, notable for the host catching one of the contestants trying to sneak notes in her blouse:

Time stamp isn't great on this. Turn on auto-translate captions and start it from the beginning and you can see her cheating as he reads the clue. So good. :allears:

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zesty posted:

Time stamp isn't great on this. Turn on auto-translate captions and start it from the beginning and you can see her cheating as he reads the clue. So good. :allears:

Well, poo poo I thought I fixed that. Hold a tic

Edit: that's better. Much obliged, Zesty

EDIT: mike bongornio was a hell of a dude -- part of the reason his episodes ran so long was that he spent so much time arguing with the judges, the contestants, the models, the celebrity guests, the audience...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j55CyvtaZ0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONj7BBraXm4

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 27, 2021

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
It's wild that US Jeopardy! has so few people try to cheat. A couple players have been on twice but aside from that there hasn't really been any scandal I'm aware of

e: i guess S&P is breathing down your neck every second of taping so you'd have to be *very* bold but you could like, have a confederate in the audience sending you morse code to a device in your shoe or something. There's a metal detector between the shuttle and the green room but you could hide it in a phone case like JGL and the rubik's cube in Snowden and set it up in the green room bathroom during intake paperwork.

this is all insane but what if someone did it in the 90s or something and we just never knew

Spokes fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 27, 2021

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spokes posted:

It's wild that US Jeopardy! has so few people try to cheat. A couple players have been on twice but aside from that there hasn't really been any scandal I'm aware of

e: i guess S&P is breathing down your neck every second of taping so you'd have to be *very* bold but you could like, have a confederate in the audience sending you morse code to a device in your shoe or something. There's a metal detector between the shuttle and the green room but you could hide it in a phone case like JGL and the rubik's cube in Snowden and set it up in the green room bathroom during intake paperwork.

this is all insane but what if someone did it in the 90s or something and we just never knew

Oh yeah, the quiz show scandals really made sure that every possible avenue for cheating could be quashed. Nobody wants to spend five years in a federal pen helping some chode unwilling to rely on their own abilities.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just don't think Jeopardy is very attractive to cheaters when you can get a bigger payout from a single appearance on a different show.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lester Shy posted:

I just don't think Jeopardy is very attractive to cheaters when you can get a bigger payout from a single appearance on a different show.

very much the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fso2JvD0ykg

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That scandal was so funny.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
How sexist am I for referring to some of the guest hosts as Football Guy 1 and Football Guy 2? :ohdear:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Lester Shy posted:

and yet hundreds if not thousands of people log onto learnedleague every day and cheat for no reward

obviously it hasn't ended with any of them in leg irons (i wish) but the bar is not high for some people

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm legit confused how one could conceivably cheat on Jeopardy. It's not like you've got time to Google between buzzing in and answering.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I bet Kareem could see over the partition and peek at what the contestant next to him is writing during Final, but I also bet Kareem wouldn't need to.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think the only time cheating would be remotely logistically possible is Final Jeopardy. Everything else, even if you have Ken Jennings on the other end, there's just not enough time to convey the answer.

Millionaire is wildly different because there's way way less data to transmit, possible data is strictly limited, and you have basically infinite time to transmit it.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anne Whateley posted:

Millionaire is wildly different because there's way way less data to transmit, possible data is strictly limited, and you have basically infinite time to transmit it.

Kinda. The producers when I went on had a rule that if they felt like you were unduly stalling, they'd either force you to answer or they would consider it as walking away from a question.

It wasn't like back when they had the shot clock

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 27, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
For those who can't read the WSJ.

https://twitter.com/theavclub/status/1431323265641766913?s=21

:argh: Bean Dad!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The NES version of Classic Concentration used to be the go-to drunk game for a buddy and me. It's so drat fun. And one of the player avatars looks like Storm from the X-Men.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I guess problematic tweets are worse than problematic op-eds in the NYT now.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Baron’s probe wasn’t necessary. I thought we settled that just fine.

A sixer only lasts 6 hours. Being called a Ding Dong will follow him forever.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Focus groups yet again. How much do you want to bet that these same focus groups didn't hear anything about Richard's or Bialik's problematic pasts?

At this point I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that they've basically chosen Bialik as the permanent host and are just trying to figure out how to schedule and announce it. It seems pretty clear in all of this that Sony for whatever reason made their decision months ago and are going to dig in as much as possible. The backlash to Richards got too much for them to ignore, despite that clearly being their initial strategy, but from all of the leaks and articles coming out it seems like they're trying to keep things as close as possible to the original announcement.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It especially sucks because she was bad at hosting!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I think we might have to come to the conclusion that this corporate entity is not going to be human about their decision and just do whatever the gently caress they want.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Duckman2008 posted:

I think we might have to come to the conclusion that this corporate entity is not going to be human about their decision and just do whatever the gently caress they want.

We live in a meritocracy which is why a bunch of well-paid executives whiffed on the slammest of dunks.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

It especially sucks because she was bad at hosting!

This is the worst part. Like, if it was JUST the stupid and lovely opinions it would suck but wouldn’t be the end of the world, but she was SO BAD at hosting, too. She was one of the few I found almost unwatchable. One of the bland nobodies would have been a much better option.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FrumpleOrz posted:

The NES version of Classic Concentration used to be the go-to drunk game for a buddy and me. It's so drat fun. And one of the player avatars looks like Storm from the X-Men.

I have the Commodore 64 version, where one of the avatars looks just like Thelma Harper from Mama's Family.

I watched that game whenever I could as a kid. The bonus/final round was always a bit ridiculous because the only strategy you really needed was calling out numbers fast.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

HookShot posted:

This is the worst part. Like, if it was JUST the stupid and lovely opinions it would suck but wouldn’t be the end of the world, but she was SO BAD at hosting, too. She was one of the few I found almost unwatchable. One of the bland nobodies would have been a much better option.

Apparently the focus groups disagree with you, but I don’t. I’ve seen tons of comments in the wild saying that she was among the best, but very little from my actual social circle that watches Jeopardy.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 28, 2021

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
As someone who regularly manipulates something similar to focus groups: focus groups are incredibly easy to manipulate to whatever conclusion you want to derive (such as "Mike Richards is a great Jeopardy host") depending on who's in charge of the framing/presentation

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

Apparently the focus groups disagree with you, but I don’t. I’ve seen tons of comments in the wild saying that she was among the best, but very little from my actually social circle that watches Jeopardy.

Same here. I can't understand it. Unlike Richards I don't think the campaign is totally astroturfed, I think there are generally a ton of people out there who loved her hosting and I swear it's made me lose faith in humanity more than morons eating horse medicine to cure covid.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I have the Commodore 64 version, where one of the avatars looks just like Thelma Harper from Mama's Family.

I watched that game whenever I could as a kid. The bonus/final round was always a bit ridiculous because the only strategy you really needed was calling out numbers fast.

A lot of people definitely panic in that bonus round though and just randomly call things out without working through it systematically. It's funny and frustrating to see it happy, heh.

If you're a weirdo like me who still likes those old computer editions of game shows, there's some decent versions of the Tomarkin show Wipeout and the 80s version of Now You See It. They're both a couple of my go-to games when I'm bored at 2 AM.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I don't watch a ton of Jeopardy but this host search has been a fun thing to keep up on. The most bafflingly aspect of it for me is after these covid years the prospect of a steady potentially decade+ job probably sounds appealing to a ton of people in the entertainment industry. It was an ideal time to cast a wide net and they just didn't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They knew who they wanted. It just didn't match up with who anyone else wants.