Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sash! posted:

I like to assume there's classified Starfleet files that are absolutely loving insane, based on what the Enterprise comes across. Like...

April 23, 2258: USS Havana lost with all hands following collision with 1,000 meter long Celestial Teddy Roosevelt

May 4th, 2258: USS Gaddafi lost with all hands following contact with two Greek Gods who wanted to play a game of chess.

A SCP wiki based on the StarTrek universe would be great.

October 13th, 2258: USS Granola intentionally destroyed after appearing at Starbase 318 asking for docking clearance. Upon hail it was confirmed overrun by unknown alien species pretending to be the normal crew, partially wearing the skin and clothing of the previous crew.

November 22nd, 2258: USS Wolcott lost after being sent to investigate a reported sighting near Badlands of a gathering of ships. Last message received from ship was using old Maquis communication codes and read 'You sent us here to die, you sent us here to be lost, we are found now..." *rest removed as cognito-hazard*. Suspected reading full message makes crew of any ship fly to the coordinates and remain there forever. Unknown what happens at the location.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Reminded of that Lower Decks character who doesn't believe in changelings.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

This is theiss we're talking about here, so

Instead of the sound of the warp core humming away in the background, the ambient noise of the Enterprise is a bassline composed by Quincy Jones.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

nine-gear crow posted:

Instead of the sound of the warp core humming away in the background, the ambient noise of the Enterprise is a bassline composed by Quincy Jones.

The red alert sound replaced with the first ten seconds of Ironside on a loop

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Star Trek Voyager Gothic by quasi-normalcy posted:

- You've been on this tiny ship in the Delta Quadrant beyond any hope of recrew or resupply for over a year, but you keep seeing ensigns you don't recognize. Everyone tells you that they've always been here.
- You go down to Engineering looking for Lt. Carey. B'Elanna tells you that he's just stepped out. He's been "just stepped out" for days.
- A shuttle crashes on a desert planet. You speak with Chakotay about the possibility of trading for some new shuttles, but he looks at you funny and says "but we already have a full complement of shuttles".
- You run to the shuttlebay and inspect them personally. There is a full complement of shuttles. And none of them even have a scratch.
- The next week, a shuttle is torn to pieces in a plasma storm. You're not even surprised when you find intact it in the shuttlebay an hour later.
- You stop mentioning shuttles.
- The ship has an encounter with some Kazon, but manages to get away. Their ships are primitive and slow and you shouldn't run into them again.
- Two weeks later, you meet the same Kazon, now somehow in front of you. You begin to suspect that you're driving in circles.
- You go to Engineering looking for Lt. Carey. You haven't seen him in two years. He's "not there right now, but should be back in a minute".
- Janeway and Paris travel at Warp 10 and turn into salamanders. You're *sure* that it happened. You *remember* it happening! But no one brings it up. When you ask Tom about it, he doesn't even register the question.
- You scream "BUT YOU WERE A SALAMANDER!" into his ear. He doesn't even hear you.
- You see another Ensign you don't recognize. You finally just ask the computer for the crew complement of Voyager. You are told that the answer is: 121.
- A month later, the Hirogen conquer the ship, spend weeks brainwashing and surgically altering the crew into believing that they are actually characters in holographic simulations, and then hunt them for sport. This culminates in a pitched battle between the crew and the Hirogen in which the ship is utterly wrecked and dozens of people are killed.
- Afterwards, you ask the computer for the ship's crew complement. You are told that the answer is: 147.
- The next day, you wake up and find Voyager restored to its original state.
- You make a discreet inquiry about Lt. Carey. Now everyone acts like he's dead but can't tell you precisely when or how.
- The Captain takes you aside one day and specifically instructs you not to mention Ensign Jetal to the Doctor. She says that she knows that this will be difficult, given how close we all were to her (and you in particular), but that for the greater good of the crew, you need to act like Ensign Jetal never existed. You solemnly nod your head and consent, and she gives you a comradely pat on the shoulder and leaves the room.
- You have absolutely no idea who Ensign Jetal is.
- Voyager absorbs the remaining crew of the USS Equinox. Well at least you'll finally have an explanation for the new crew you see around the ship! You never see any of them ever again.
- You've now traveled almost 40,000 light years towards home. You check the star charts; somehow, you're still in the Delta Quadrant. You begin to wonder if the Beta Quadrant even exists.
- The Delta Flyer is destroyed by Borg torpedoes. You don't even bother to check the shuttlebay for it, you just instinctively know that it will be back.
- A few months later, the Captain gives you the sad news: Lt. Carey is dead.
- You finally make it back to the Alpha Quadrant, say your tearful farewells, and receive a handshake and a promotion from Admiral Paris. As one last thought before leaving Voyager forever, you pay a visit to the shuttlebay. You find it utterly empty, except for one lowly crewman with a mop and pail, swabbing the deck. "I...guess that Starfleet must have already cleared out the remaining shuttles?" You say uncertainly, your voice echoing in the cavernous, empty room. The crewman breaks off his mopping and looks at you like you've lost your mind and says: "Voyager never had any shuttles."

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek by Tom of Finland.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

That crewman's name... was Albert Einstein Harry Kim.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Combine this with the skant and we're going places

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

HopperUK posted:

Reminded of that Lower Decks character who doesn't believe in changelings.

I did like how Lower Decks addresses all this insane crap that goes in the ST universe and the fate of the red shirts that get caught up in it doing their day job. We know how the bridge staff ends up, but I can't imagine people don't crack in the face of body horror, transporter glitches, and god like aliens.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

skooma512 posted:

I did like how Lower Decks addresses all this insane crap that goes in the ST universe and the fate of the red shirts that get caught up in it doing their day job. We know how the bridge staff ends up, but I can't imagine people don't crack in the face of body horror, transporter glitches, and god like aliens.

...And why they choose to leave the utopia planets that most of the Starfleet core systems are.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just saw TOS, Enterprise, and Voyager are leaving Netflix (in the US) at the end of September. I am finally going to finish Voyager because of this. Really hoping the back half of s4 and onward is more interesting than the earlier stuff.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skooma512 posted:

I gotta imagine most people will see like, one really hosed up space wonder-thing in their career, even if that's less funny.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I just saw TOS, Enterprise, and Voyager are leaving Netflix (in the US) at the end of September. I am finally going to finish Voyager because of this. Really hoping the back half of s4 and onward is more interesting than the earlier stuff.

It is, but it's basically going from like 4/10 to a 6 or 7/10. Seven of Nine really helps spice up Voyager's Status Quo Show dynamic, even if she kind of comes to dominate all the oxygen in the room because the writers just gave the gently caress up on characters who weren't lucky enough to be her, Janeway, and The Doctor.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Meanwhile in the Northern Europe I have absolutely no idea if this means anything to me or not, but I know that the second season of "short stories" of Disco are not in my Amazon Prime or in my Netflix, which both have an assortment of Star Trek series available.

So I probably need to pirate that stuff since CBS-whateverthefuck isn't available in my region.

I pay ~25 EUR per month to not get everything, a great leap for the loving globalization.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

happyhippy posted:

November 22nd, 2258: USS Wolcott lost after being sent to investigate a reported sighting near Badlands of a gathering of ships. Last message received from ship was using old Maquis communication codes and read 'You sent us here to die, you sent us here to be lost, we are found now..." *rest removed as cognito-hazard*. Suspected reading full message makes crew of any ship fly to the coordinates and remain there forever. Unknown what happens at the location.

"This black hole was made for me"

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 28, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

happyhippy posted:

May 4th, 2258: USS Gaddafi lost with all hands following contact with two Greek Gods who wanted to play a game of chess.

A SCP wiki based on the StarTrek universe would be great.

October 13th, 2258: USS Granola intentionally destroyed after appearing at Starbase 318 asking for docking clearance. Upon hail it was confirmed overrun by unknown alien species pretending to be the normal crew, partially wearing the skin and clothing of the previous crew.

April 8th, 2258: Wreckage of USS Eldridge discovered 14 LY from Deep Space Two. Ship remains found in strange spiral contusion pattern, multiple decks compacted on top of one another. No survivors recovered, body parts discovered in explorable areas of the wreck fused into bulkheads. Ship logs suggest accident was an attempt to replicate [REDACTED] experiment conducted by U.S.S. [REDACTED] (NCC-[REDACTED]). File closed on order of Starfleet Intelligence.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, but these days being trapped in a Dyson Sphere for millennia is just a short amount of time for him.

For those unaware, that literally happened in one of the DS9 novels

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nine-gear crow posted:

It is, but it's basically going from like 4/10 to a 6 or 7/10. Seven of Nine really helps spice up Voyager's Status Quo Show dynamic, even if she kind of comes to dominate all the oxygen in the room because the writers just gave the gently caress up on characters who weren't lucky enough to be her, Janeway, and The Doctor.
Yeah, seasons 4 and 5 are Voyager's high point, even if that's a relative measurement. Most of what people consider the 'good' Voyager episodes (ie, they're better than the baseline visual wallpaper) are from that era. And yes, they're almost all Seven or Doctor stories.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

For those unaware, that literally happened in one of the DS9 novels

Yeah, I mentioned before the millennium trilogy has fun just going balls-to-the-wall nuts and over the top. Anyways at the end of the second book the Pah Wraith religion manages to fulfill their objective of merging the Red Wormhole of the Wraiths into the Blue Wormhole to allow the prophets and wraiths to have their final battle, by collapsing Bajor's star into a supernova as they pass near each other, and the compression wave brings them close enough to get pulled into each other. The two merge into a circle with each terminus leading straight into the other wormhole and the rest of spacetime unravels out of existence, destroying the universe.

The Defiant and Kai Weyoun's flagship survive by falling into the wormholes right as they merge, but the Pah Wraiths send everyone to their own personal hell. O'Brien spends eternity wandering an empty, sand-filled desert Dyson Sphere, trapped forever inside something he can never comprehend.

Anyways apparently it both was and wasn't several millennia before Dax is able to rescue him a few days later. (She was able to get out because she ended up experiencing seven separate hells simultaneously and that was nonsensical so she could be like 'nah')

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

Yeah, seasons 4 and 5 are Voyager's high point, even if that's a relative measurement. Most of what people consider the 'good' Voyager episodes (ie, they're better than the baseline visual wallpaper) are from that era. And yes, they're almost all Seven or Doctor stories.

Yeah, Season 4 has Scorpion, Part II, The Raven, Year of Hell, Message In A Bottle, The Killing Game, Living Witness and Hope And Fear. It even has Mortal Coil, the singular Good Neelix Episode. It also has the "Janway goes hang gliding with Leonardo da Vinci" episode, that one's kind of average, but John Rhys-Davies hamming it up as da Vinci was fantastic.

In Season 5 you have Drone, In The Flesh, Timeless, Latent Image, Bride of Chaotica!, Dark Frontier, Course: Oblivion, Relativity and Equinox, Part I. It's also got 11:59, which is sort of Voyager's answer to "Far Beyond The Stars" only it deals with the crushing weight of capitalism on normal people instead of racism, but doesn't do it nearly as well as DS9 does because it's Voyager.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I mentioned before the millennium trilogy has fun just going balls-to-the-wall nuts and over the top. Anyways at the end of the second book the Pah Wraith religion manages to fulfill their objective of merging the Red Wormhole of the Wraiths into the Blue Wormhole to allow the prophets and wraiths to have their final battle, by collapsing Bajor's star into a supernova as they pass near each other, and the compression wave brings them close enough to get pulled into each other. The two merge into a circle with each terminus leading straight into the other wormhole and the rest of spacetime unravels out of existence, destroying the universe.

The Defiant and Kai Weyoun's flagship survive by falling into the wormholes right as they merge, but the Pah Wraiths send everyone to their own personal hell. O'Brien spends eternity wandering an empty, sand-filled desert Dyson Sphere, trapped forever inside something he can never comprehend.

Anyways apparently it both was and wasn't several millennia before Dax is able to rescue him a few days later. (She was able to get out because she ended up experiencing seven separate hells simultaneously and that was nonsensical so she could be like 'nah')

That sounds amazing tbh. I'm (slowly) reading The Never-Ending Sacrifice at the moment and it's great. I had to get it because I showed 'Cardassians' to my friend and she got all fretful about Rugal's ultimate fate so I promised I would find out.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

HopperUK posted:

That sounds amazing tbh. I'm (slowly) reading The Never-Ending Sacrifice at the moment and it's great. I had to get it because I showed 'Cardassians' to my friend and she got all fretful about Rugal's ultimate fate so I promised I would find out.

Any good? I never laid paws on 8t.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
The Millennium trilogy is fantastic. Bugfuck insane, but with covers like this you know you're in for a good time:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Trickjaw posted:

Any good? I never laid paws on 8t.

Yeah Una McCormack is legit a good writer. At one point Rugal sings a really long obnoxious prayer to the Prophets at dinner just to annoy his horrid grandma and it's very good.

Also that grandma grumbles that they should have just arranged Rugal's death to be more politically convenient and goes off all 'why my husband killed off half a dozen of his bastards before our wedding, now that's a real family man'. Because illegitimate kids aren't citizens on Cardassia, as Garak explains once without ever hinting at his own background.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Just found out from the retro FPS thread that there's some rumblings that a bunch of the Activision-published Trek games from the turn of the millennium might be getting a digital rerelease on GOG. No one's said anything official yet, but I wanted to mention it even so.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Marshal Radisic posted:

Just found out from the retro FPS thread that there's some rumblings that a bunch of the Activision-published Trek games from the turn of the millennium might be getting a digital rerelease on GOG. No one's said anything official yet, but I wanted to mention it even so.

I version of Birth of the Federation that ran on win10 would be great!

Yeah, it's not on the list but that doesn't change the fact that it should be released or remade.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

8one6 posted:

I version of Birth of the Federation that ran on win10 would be great!

Yeah, it's not on the list but that doesn't change the fact that it should be released or remade.

Ooh no, Birth of the Federation is definitely one of those games that's better in your memory than it actually was.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Birth of the Federation was made by MicroProse and sold by Hasbro so I have no idea where the rights would be at this point. I guess MicroProse was resurrected a few years ago but who knows if they would even have ownership of that title?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Marshal Radisic posted:

This sounds great, but on the other hand I'd be giving money to Activision. I'm conflicted.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Marshal Radisic posted:

I wonder if they've fixed Bridge Commander for modern systems considering I could barely get 10 FPS out of the game the last time I tried it (despite trying every compatibility fix I could find)

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Someone's mentioning DS9 books, so i'm contractually obligated to plug DS9 Book 10 - Valhalla because its dope and should have been an episode. A starship comes through the wormhole with a dead crew, the Cardassians try to claim it as salvage since it was headed for their territory, then the DS9 folks realize it's a sentient ship that was trying to find Heaven and things escalate Real Badly from there, it rules.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Ooh no, Birth of the Federation is definitely one of those games that's better in your memory than it actually was.

Are there any space 4x games these days that are good and play like birth of the Federation did? I'm not much up on things but I know a lot of the newer spacey 4xs have fairly different dynamics and stuff than the classic standard...

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Are there any space 4x games these days that are good and play like birth of the Federation did? I'm not much up on things but I know a lot of the newer spacey 4xs have fairly different dynamics and stuff than the classic standard...

You can mod Stellaris to be entirely Star Trek themed. I am not qualified to say if it's 'good' because I play it very casually as a space story generator but it's got lots of things in it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I think your options are:
1) Stellaris
2) Endless Space 2 (probably most different)
3) Master of Orion (remake)

Also Gal Civ 3 if you are willing to give money to Brad Wardell.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Star Trek mod for Stellaris is good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

April 8th, 2258: Wreckage of USS Eldridge discovered 14 LY from Deep Space Two. Ship remains found in strange spiral contusion pattern, multiple decks compacted on top of one another. No survivors recovered, body parts discovered in explorable areas of the wreck fused into bulkheads. Ship logs suggest accident was an attempt to replicate [REDACTED] experiment conducted by U.S.S. [REDACTED] (NCC-[REDACTED]). File closed on order of Starfleet Intelligence.

August 28, 2258: USS Brandis quarantined indefinitely and confined to star shipyard [Redacted]. Ship's Away Team encountered new unknown lifeform on Class L planet [Redacted] in quadrant [Redacted], sector [Redacted].
Lifeform enters most known humanoid species via unknown process, and replaces internal major organs taking over their functions. Given enough time, they morph and change into identical replacements for said organ that can not be easily detected without deep biospy or autopsy.
It has only been viewed so far to replace respiratory, waste processing, thermal regulatory, and in one species so far, reproductive organs. Not known yet if brain or any other sensory organs can be infected.
Initially detected when Away Team beamed back on board, and routine medical check on human Commander [Redacted] found her entire internal organs rotated 90 degrees, with no visible or outward problems from such showing. Commander [Redacted] was found shortly after in jeffries tube 12-A with all internal body organs missing. It has not yet been determined how it is spread and how much of the ship is affected.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I searched for a Stellaris Star Trek mod and found multiple results. Which mod does the thread recommend?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

New Horizons is the big one. There are a bunch of add-ons for it if you want to have an LCARS interface or whatever.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If they had just made a little more content for Bridge Crew, I would have never stopped playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Someone did a great LP of Birth of the Federation, playin as each race once. But yah, its flaws are rather obvious. The Borg Random event being WAY too powerful and the AI not being all that bright.