Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

HookShot posted:

This is the worst part. Like, if it was JUST the stupid and lovely opinions it would suck but wouldn’t be the end of the world, but she was SO BAD at hosting, too. She was one of the few I found almost unwatchable. One of the bland nobodies would have been a much better option.

I can't really parse tone policing of "calling the actor blossom is misogynistic" simultaneously with "if this person had JUST stupid opinions [which are anti-feminist and rape apologia]" as being acceptable if they were a good host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The Sean posted:

I can't really parse tone policing of "calling the actor blossom is misogynistic" simultaneously with "if this person had JUST stupid opinions [which are anti-feminist and rape apologia]" as being acceptable if they were a good host.

Yeah. Either way she still sucks and 100% should not be hosting. But the show would be much more watchable if she was actually good at it, is my point. Right now it’s the double whammy of “loving awful person” AND legitimately awful at the job, instead of just one of the two.

Which, for the record, either one should be disqualifying on their own.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
What's the history of Mike's relationship to CBS and/or Sony? There's got to be at least a little good will from the people in charge so that a guy semi-quickly goes from "no involvement with the show" to "executive producer and number one choice to be host"

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Andorra posted:

What's the history of Mike's relationship to CBS and/or Sony? There's got to be at least a little good will from the people in charge so that a guy semi-quickly goes from "no involvement with the show" to "executive producer and number one choice to be host"

I think it may be as simple as the executives in charge are overpaid loving morons who have been out of touch with society for the past 20-30 years.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I forgot Maggie left last year. Johnny Gilbert is the only respectable person still there.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Thank you, Johnny Gilbert.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Thanks, Johnny

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Ror posted:

I forgot Maggie left last year. Johnny Gilbert is the only respectable person still there.

The other contestant coordinators there still do good work, but yeah, a lot of talent left the past couple of years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ror posted:

And Johnny Gilbert has been doing his work remotely since late 2019, I think.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/1430022330785222657?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Sean posted:

It's more that it was stupid the powers that be wanted her from the start AND she also ended up being bad at the actual hosting. It's that there's no way in which sticking with their initial desire makes any sense.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 29, 2021

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm extremely aggrieved by Mayim Bialik, but imagine being any other host having to work under Mike Richards now

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
LOL I’m listening to an episode of Stuff You Should Know from a few weeks ago and the hosts are complaining about Mike Richards getting the hosting job in the middle of the episode about MRIs

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The lag time and time capsuling of podcast production is glorious, for that exact reason. See also: the hosts of Well There's Your Problem reacting to Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death in realtime. (I forget which episode, but it's easy to look up, if only from their TVTropes page.)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I just realized that my wife Nikole got a shout out and applause for running a category, and I believe she is the last person as of now to get that, in large part because Matt's methods don't allow for running of a category.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Golbez posted:

I just realized that my wife Nikole got a shout out and applause for running a category, and I believe she is the last person as of now to get that, in large part because Matt's methods don't allow for running of a category.

Do they have actual audiences back yet, or is it still a closed studio?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

CPColin posted:

The lag time and time capsuling of podcast production is glorious, for that exact reason. See also: the hosts of Well There's Your Problem reacting to Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death in realtime. (I forget which episode, but it's easy to look up, if only from their TVTropes page.)

The current issue of National Geographic has a great article talking about the challenge and opportunity Afghanistan will face against the Taliban over the next few years. It really wasn't a bad article all things considered, but it's worth reading for a lot of :catstare: moments with a whole extra month of hindsight.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

HookShot posted:

Do they have actual audiences back yet, or is it still a closed studio?

The only audience was other contestants that day, so any applause that did happen would have been heavily touched up.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's why I was a little hesitant to share that chu editorial, because he's gotta chu it up:

https://twitter.com/islamphobiacow/status/1432229411219144708

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
...did he just "gotta hand it to them" the pedo org?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chu really shoulda quit posting after the documentary came out.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

If you're a weirdo like me who still likes those old computer editions of game shows, there's some decent versions of the Tomarkin show Wipeout and the 80s version of Now You See It. They're both a couple of my go-to games when I'm bored at 2 AM.

PROTIP: You can find many of those old game show games on archive.org and they're now playable through a browser.

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Classic_Concentration_-_2nd_Edition_1989
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Wipeout_1989
https://archive.org/details/msdos_Jeopardy_1987

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Golbez posted:

The only audience was other contestants that day, so any applause that did happen would have been heavily touched up.

Ok, cool, yeah I was pretty sure all the audience sounds were still pretty fake, but J! is actually doing that part of it really well so it's hard to know for sure.

The Chase, for example, does it absolutely terribly.

And LOL Arthur Chu.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I just played a few rounds of Concentration and the computer loving cheated. Got both wild cards every round.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

Chu really shoulda quit posting after the documentary came out.

he's apparently gone protected mode in the wake of this 'un, so he may finally stop (publicly) posting.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, for those of you who want a hard quizzer but don't want to support richards or bialyk, mastermind 2021/22 has started up this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnGDJeg110g

(a game show based on the creator's time being interrogated as a prisoner of war. 2 minutes on the contestant's specialty subject, 2:30 on general knowledge. used to travel around various landmarks in the UK when magnus von magnusson was the host, but since this current version started it's all been relatively the same studio. liberal use of the impact font for the past couple of seasons)

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 30, 2021

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

I just played a few rounds of Concentration and the computer loving cheated. Got both wild cards every round.

The Sentra is worth $9,200.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: never mind, i was in the wrong thread.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
GOOOODBYEEEEEEE

https://twitter.com/kateefeldman/status/1432738581399982085

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Woop woop

Not a “Mr. Richards is announcing he’s stepping down” either. Someone else had to relay the news.

Get hosed, Mike.

The “we hoped everything would chill out if he just stepped down as host” energy still sucks though. As if they don’t loving get it.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 31, 2021

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
michael davies, last i checked, is a good dude. one half of the men in blazers, so if there's any problematic podcasting going on it would require people to know and/or understand soccer in order to be angry about it.

edit: the worst thing i know of to his name was being EP of win ben stein's money, which led people to believe that a flopped speechwriter for nixon was a cool dude.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 31, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
cackling at the biggest self-own in human history

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Insane that his J! Hosting quest included all these incredible machinations and the linchpin was just “don’t say incredibly lovely things on tape” and he faceplanted at the 1 yard line

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh poo poo i just realized my posts in cspam alone would be enough to get me cancelled.

oh well. i stand by every word.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Nah

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 17, 2022

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poque posted:

I hope this means that they stop trying to shoehorn Bialik into the syndicated side too.

hahahahahaha no i'm sure the ink has already dried on the contract, because this is hell and it's run by rich, entitled dipshits.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spokes posted:

Insane that his J! Hosting quest included all these incredible machinations and the linchpin was just “don’t say incredibly lovely things on tape” and he faceplanted at the 1 yard line

The thing is it wasn't a quest for the J!, it was a quest to be any gameshow host, Jeopardy just happened to fall into his lap, and he got burned for being shortsighted and greedy. As I said before he could have played the long game, and picked literally anyone else, then played the gracious fill in host for a few years until literally any opening appeared.

Instead the opportunity to cheat his way into one of the most high profile hosting positions proved too tempting, and has essentially tanked his entire career path. He basically blacklisted himself IMHO, considering he was basically an unknown name before all of this, there's no way he can really rehabilitate himself out of this one.

Then again, he's probably someone's failson, so unfortunately I doubt this is the last we've heard of him.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, i mean, most of richards' hosting has been for gsn -- their revival of pyramid and divided are the two shows that immediately spring to mind, neither of them especially noteworthy except for divided being the american version of a show charlie brooker described as like watching hobos knife each other in a dumpster. ("only less erotic")

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Iron Crowned posted:

The thing is it wasn't a quest for the J!, it was a quest to be any gameshow host, Jeopardy just happened to fall into his lap, and he got burned for being shortsighted and greedy. As I said before he could have played the long game, and picked literally anyone else, then played the gracious fill in host for a few years until literally any opening appeared.

This whole debacle is because Richards and his bosses don't understand/don't care that Jeopardy is seen as a different beast than Wheel, Family Feud, and so on. It's a show but it's also the closest thing there is to a televised trivia championship. It's the pinnacle for trivia geeks (yes, there are tougher competitions but they're not on TV). And this whole time they've treated it as just a game show property, despite the lip service to Trebek's legacy blah blah blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zakharov posted:

This whole debacle is because Richards and his bosses don't understand/don't care that Jeopardy is seen as a different beast than Wheel, Family Feud, and so on. It's a show but it's also the closest thing there is to a televised trivia championship. It's the pinnacle for trivia geeks (yes, there are tougher competitions but they're not on TV). And this whole time they've treated it as just a game show property, despite the lip service to Trebek's legacy blah blah blah

i mean, yeah, it's probably the one game show that is seen with any sort of prestige.

(also: lol @ the idea that the modern american game show maintains a more rigorous ethical standard than the modern american journalism outfit all because charles van doren was getting fed answers to questions he already knew)