Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Kanye's gonna end up standing next to Mike Myers again somehow
everything old is new again

i hope he wears the suit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
who is trying to drive into the city at this point

I dono I guess if I'm stuck there I'm driving the wrong way down the interstate to get out, what are they gonna do, pull me over with the cops that aren't there? I bet once one person gets desperate enough, there's your contraflow by default

I suppose I'm just surprised Americans are more docile than stampeding buffalo in the face of imminent death? who could have seen that plot twist huh

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I mean what have you got to lose?

Reverend Zero
Mar 8, 2006

why did all the live streams suddenly cease their talking heads thats weird. just playing animations and calming music now

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

rabble rabble posted:

I dono I guess if I'm stuck there I'm driving the wrong way down the interstate to get out, what are they gonna do, pull me over with the cops that aren't there? I bet once one person gets desperate enough, there's your contraflow by default

I suppose I'm just surprised Americans are more docile than stampeding buffalo in the face of imminent death? who could have seen that plot twist huh

It's widespread ignorance and survivor bias, people have no idea how bad it can and will be until its right in their face. Katrina was 16 years ago and people wrongfully assumed this cant/won't be as bad. This is why you need public officials with clear action plans and timely decision making. All they did was confuse people with conflicting info and lack of action

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rabble rabble posted:

americans are universally all hat and no cattle

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

rabble rabble posted:

I'm more surprised people aren't saying gently caress it and just driving on the wrong side of the highway using the shoulder or something. Docility seems to be a key feature of the American psyche even if we shout to the heavens otherwise.

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

Reverend Zero posted:

why did all the live streams suddenly cease their talking heads thats weird. just playing animations and calming music now

Pausing for station identification imo

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NHC says it's cat 4, although there are cat 5 wind gusts.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Brogeoisie posted:

I just can't with the retconning, gfs had this as a cat 3 or cat 4 VERY early, like 6 days out! When that first model run hit, they should have immediately started putting a plan in place. The "well we can't do anything" bs contributed to complaceny with this storm. It's all probably because they didn't want to cancel a preseason NFL game. It's unconscionable

a coworker of mine used to work in the city crime lab as a chemist, about 20 or so years ago there was some event that needed a bunch of police to just be present (IDK it was like a sporting event or something like that) so the city PD basically took everyone that worked in the labs, etc and said "well since you technically work for the police department, you're all cops for the night" gave him a squad car and had him sit in it and block traffic.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

americans are universally all hat and no cattle

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Chamale posted:

no poo poo, you really think the Biden administration was going to let it "become" a CAT5, NOW, once they know this is gonna be worse than Katrina? lol they're lazy, incompetent and evil but they're not stupid.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Chamale posted:

Screaming WELL IT'S TECHNICALLY A CAT 4 as his lovely pickup floats into the ocean

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that man isn't going to get any service anywhere unless he puts a drat shirt on

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Chamale posted:

Yeah sustained winds are a few mph short of Cat 5. The gusts are up to 185 mph

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I'm honestly surprised that areas near the gulf don't have those gates like rail road crossing do at the on ramps.

We have this on express lanes in Florida. They work really well to change flow once a day. I'm absolutely sure that even those on regular highways, someone would drive on the median and on to the highways.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
finally, we can see how the democrats would have done during katrina

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Is there a link to Jeffs stream?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Also it's slowing to a crawl 13mph so it's going to really linger and tear things up and break all pumping capacity

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

isn't this exactly what happened with Katrina?

https://twitter.com/ray_hawthorne/status/1431996257296424963

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
then again, I was in JFK a couple years ago during an (fake) active shooter situation where it started. some lady heard the starting gun from the Olympics at a bar, thought it was real, screamed gun gun gun, and started hauling rear end down the concourse like they're late for a flight in the 80's

well that obviously started a mass panic, because now everyone (myself included) is just waiting for some guy with a rifle and black fatigues to come around the corner taking potshots down the terminal, screaming, people running around, etc.

so I grab my wife, and run through the god drat emergency exit door triggering all kinds of alarms, while people huddling behind the loving AA ticket booth, or ran deeper into the terminal, like if there is a shooter either the plywood or other bodies will stop them from getting hit. in my own panic, I'm pretty sure I yelled, what are, you, stupid? felt bad about that after.

very few people seemed to have the instinct to like, actually try and survive the problem if it meant triggering airport alarms, because I ended up shoving past a couple people again just huddled in the exit foyer so I could bust open the emergency door and get the gently caress out of the airport

anyway, because of that we actually managed to get back to midtown to grab a hotel, and other folks were stuck there for hours on the floor as SWAT cleared the place

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2016/08/the-terrifying-jfk-airport-shooting-that-wasnt.html

my point is, gently caress the system, when you're in danger get the gently caress out, I'm personally surprised to see so many people not jumping a median (where physically possible)

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

rabble rabble posted:

lol yeah drive 60mph in the opposite lane sounds great what could go wrong

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

oh they probably didn't need these pumps. it'll be fine

https://twitter.com/SWBNewOrleans/status/1431948485490794498

I know the guy that gets called into work on these pumps. He had to go in two days after Katrina to try and get them up.

All the equipment is like pre-WWI equipment with its own special power turbines. Last time there was a hurricane headed there way GE had recently broken the turbines and they had to bring train engines in and rewind them to run the pumps with.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

the other option is drowning in your car so might be worth it

speng31b
May 8, 2010

What about hijacking a monster truck and just crunching your way out over the broken carcasses of lesser traffic

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

120mph collision with an incoming FEMA truck, 185mph impalement by a lamppost, what's the difference really

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

heh, that would be a pretty funny image, lol nice

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

rabble rabble posted:

then again, I was in JFK a couple years ago during an (fake) active shooter situation where it started. some lady heard the starting gun from the Olympics at a bar, thought it was real, screamed gun gun gun, and started hauling rear end down the concourse like they're late for a flight in the 80's

well that obviously started a mass panic, because now everyone (myself included) is just waiting for some guy with a rifle and black fatigues to come around the corner taking potshots down the terminal, screaming, people running around, etc.

so I grab my wife, and run through the god drat emergency exit door triggering all kinds of alarms, while people huddling behind the loving AA ticket booth, or ran deeper into the terminal, like if there is a shooter either the plywood or other bodies will stop them from getting hit. in my own panic, I'm pretty sure I yelled, what are, you, stupid? felt bad about that after.

very few people seemed to have the instinct to like, actually try and survive the problem if it meant triggering airport alarms, because I ended up shoving past a couple people again just huddled in the exit foyer so I could bust open the emergency door and get the gently caress out of the airport

anyway, because of that we actually managed to get back to midtown to grab a hotel, and other folks were stuck there for hours on the floor as SWAT cleared the place

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2016/08/the-terrifying-jfk-airport-shooting-that-wasnt.html

my point is, gently caress the system, when you're in danger get the gently caress out, I'm personally surprised to see so many people not jumping a median (where physically possible)

lol holy poo poo people were just like waiting next to an exit to die?

christ.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
driving down the interstate with your blinkers on doing 30 away from a hurricane down the highway that has 5 cars per minute going the other direction

vs.

I'MMMMM ON THE HIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHH WAYYYY TO HELLLLLLLLLLLLL

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

and it's gone.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

lol holy poo poo people were just like waiting next to an exit to die?

christ.

the downside of covering the emergency exits with warning signs, alarms, and threats of imprisonment

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raccooon posted:

I know the guy that gets called into work on these pumps. He had to go in two days after Katrina to try and get them up.

All the equipment is like pre-WWI equipment with its own special power turbines. Last time there was a hurricane headed there way GE had recently broken the turbines and they had to bring train engines in and rewind them to run the pumps with.

They're so old they were built before electricity had been completely standardized, and the engineers picked the Betamax of electricity instead of the VHS, so they have to have their own special power sources now and can't be hooked into the real power grid.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Raccooon posted:

....what do you think Electro-Motive means

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
democracy is such a dumb idea. like even on paper "let's give the most important decisions that effect how we live and die to a dumb yokel we elected in a popularity contest" sounds like a really really bad idea

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Brogeoisie posted:

I just can't with the retconning, gfs had this as a cat 3 or cat 4 VERY early, like 6 days out! When that first model run hit, they should have immediately started putting a plan in place. The "well we can't do anything" bs contributed to complaceny with this storm. It's all probably because they didn't want to cancel a preseason NFL game. It's unconscionable

I'm not excusing the state failure emblematic of late neoliberal cruelty and disregard for human life, I'm saying this storm got bad real loving fast and emergency response plans probably need to be revised to take climate change into account. poo poo maybe people just shouldn't be allowed to live there anymore at this rate.

Ida rapidly intensified twice. Its windspeed doubled overnight to become cat 1, then it went from 45 to 150 within a day later. That's freakishly fast, I doubt even China could move that much people and equipment overnight.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Raccooon posted:

yes this was also a big deal halfway between now and Katrina when they tried to upgrade some of them and the story can out again and instead of everyone saying “hang on the city can easily tax everything and fund an entirely new and fresh pumping system or else it will disappear forever under flood waters.” they just went to brunch.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Marx Headroom posted:

I'm not excusing the state failure emblematic of late neoliberal cruelty and disregard for human life, I'm saying this storm got bad real loving fast and emergency response plans probably need to be revised to take climate change into account. poo poo maybe people just shouldn't be allowed to live there anymore at this rate.

Ida rapidly intensified twice. Its windspeed doubled overnight to become cat 1, then it went from 45 to 150 within a day later. That's freakishly fast, I doubt even China could move that much people and equipment overnight.

What are you, some sort of doomer? This is a one-time thing. We will #persist and #rebuild. It'll be fine.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Marx Headroom posted:

love that 25% of nola's budget goes to the cops and they cant even mobilize them to at least funnel people out of the city AF.

body bags only.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

He is not running? voted zero stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

What are you, some sort of doomer? This is a one-time thing. We will #persist and #rebuild. It'll be fine.