Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

Steam Settings > Library > Disable Community Content.

Tried this, and they still appear. It appears above the community content area. Or maybe it does filter it but it doesn't stop previously loaded crap from loaded. Sheesh, Steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, people were asking for a review of King's Bounty 2 and I finally feel like I've played enough of it that I can sort out some of my thoughts on it.

~ They flattened the troop curve (you can't have more than 10 members of any unit regardless of your leadership) and if a unit isn't completely wiped out you can heal them after battle for a fraction of what they would cost to re-hire. This means that the power gap between lower and higher level units isn't as pronounced as in the originals, but you wind up having to ditch them anyway because carrying a stack of 10 spearmen with a total leadership cost of 1400 isn't going to work very well once you're at the point in the game where you're at 3000 leadership.

~ No more dancing enemy armies trying to loot the stuff around them. Enemy units are stationary and have a fixed aggro radius. Overall this makes the game feel like 'Divinity Original Sin 2' where while the game isn't linear you're gated pretty hard. And in this game with its new graphics engine and over the shoulder cam loot hunting is more about finding a bunch of lootable objects with like 70 gold and 3 junk items than the original's big shiny treasure boxes.

~ Fewer units, units are sorted into ideologies rather than factions (Order, Anarchy, Power, Finesse). There are also loose groupings (Bandit, Nostrian Soldier, Animal, Undead) but those are mostly important for gear-related purposes. Order and Anarchy are opposed, as are Power and Finesse. This means that unlike the previous games you don't have to worry about not having enough troops of a given faction to form an army (Undead don't completely tank morale like they did in the previous games)

~ The talent trees are also sorted into ideologies. Not only that but you have to get X amount of 'points' in any ideology branch to unlock successive tiers. You get ideology points from finishing quests in a certain way. Quests in this game give you multiple ways to do things. (like an order way or an anarchy way, or a finesse or a power way). So you if you want the finesse ultimate talent be prepared to do all your quests the finesse style.

~ Money is a lot tighter. I've never had more than 25k gold at any given time (though I also horde items)

Beyond all this, the prognosis on KB2 is that it's the successor to a janky game series that tried to shake off its shank and fall in line with modern design sensibilities. But in doing so it lost a lot of what made it special and unique.

I'm still playing the hell out it mind you.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Tried this, and they still appear. It appears above the community content area. Or maybe it does filter it but it doesn't stop previously loaded crap from loaded. Sheesh, Steam
It isn't that setting. It's your friend activity feed.
In the client, under your username menu the first option is Activity.
There's a tiny link at the top of that page that says "Friend Activity Settings"
Uncheck Unlocks an achievement.

Edit: Ignore this. It is the activity feed you're looking for, but apparently the library activity feed isn't affected by the general activity feed settings.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 29, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's amazing how much more I'm able to enjoy RDR2 when I can jack up the graphics and play it at a smooth framerate. I think a lot of the tedium complaints about that game are valid but while I almost never do this I've never been so easily able to slip into a loose RP style of play than I am with this, and when it looks drop dead gorgeous basically all the time it really helps get stuck in.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

explosivo posted:

It's amazing how much more I'm able to enjoy RDR2 when I can jack up the graphics and play it at a smooth framerate. I think a lot of the tedium complaints about that game are valid but while I almost never do this I've never been so easily able to slip into a loose RP style of play than I am with this, and when it looks drop dead gorgeous basically all the time it really helps get stuck in.

Does it still have the problem where you rob somebody with a disguise on and the whole area still knows exactly who you are and keeps sending bounty hunters after you? Cause that sucked rear end.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

explosivo posted:

RDR2 is the most gorgeous game I've ever played and yet I just can't bring myself to actually play it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey, random question, are there any good Hotline Miami mods or fangames that actually came out? I remember there was a big one a few years back that seemed pretty far along before getting scrapped due to teenaged drama or something.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

Hey, random question, are there any good Hotline Miami mods or fangames that actually came out? I remember there was a big one a few years back that seemed pretty far along before getting scrapped due to teenaged drama or something.

does Jydge count

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hwurmp posted:

does Jydge count

Nah, I'm really thinking of something in or closely emulating that engine, I remember there were several projects in the works but I don't know that any of them actually came to fruition.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There was a really hard romhack style version that came out in 2015 but it had a bunch of dumb poo poo like enemies shooting you through Windows from offscreen so I ended up dropping it. gently caress, I wish I could remember what it was called.

E: Oh! I remember. Hotline Miami 2

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There was a really hard romhack style version that came out in 2015 but it had a bunch of dumb poo poo like enemies shooting you through Windows from offscreen so I ended up dropping it. gently caress, I wish I could remember what it was called.

E: Oh! I remember. Hotline Miami 2

Lol but true.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

RDR2 is the most gorgeous game I've ever played and yet I just can't bring myself to actually play it.

It's a game that had immense effort put into every single aspect, except for the actual gameplay. I've found the online mode to be quite a bit more fun (provided you have people to play it with), but the singleplayer is essentially dead to me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Perestroika posted:

It's a game that had immense effort put into every single aspect, except for the actual gameplay. I've found the online mode to be quite a bit more fun (provided you have people to play it with), but the singleplayer is essentially dead to me.

What exactly is there to do with friends online? Every time I poke my head into the online part I kinda have no idea what to do and the fun sounding stuff costs money to do. Are any of those DLC jobs worth buying if I'm looking for some co-op content with a friend?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Rockstar puts immense effort into their gameplay. They work very hard to make sure it locks you down hard. It's not that they don't build flexible systems, they do. They just deny you the opportunity to actually use them in the moments you'd want to. They've become the pinnacle of what their games originally represented a rebellion against - hyper-controlled experiences bent on pushing the player through what the developer feels is a movie-like experience. And the thing is, Rockstar isn't really competitive with the modern hyper-linear spectacle games. Because their games operate on systems, they don't have the same cinematic quality as something that's fully scripted. They have a tremendous amount of talent, but over time they've increasingly wasted it on cinematic ambition.

Honestly I think they're not fall from downfall. The perversion of priorities that microtransactions bring to a company cannot be avoided. I suspect that whatever they produce next, the first fully post GTA Online game, will still have its strong points but overall represent a major regression and the point where people widely perceive them as falling.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mordja posted:

Intravenous is Tom Clancy's Hotline Miami, it's hotline miami crossed over with a stealth game. Not sure if that's what you were looking for, I got to play like an hour of it and it was solid but stealth games aren't for me

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

explosivo posted:

What exactly is there to do with friends online? Every time I poke my head into the online part I kinda have no idea what to do and the fun sounding stuff costs money to do. Are any of those DLC jobs worth buying if I'm looking for some co-op content with a friend?

There are a some story missions you can do cooperatively, the available selection depends on whether your reputation is good or bad. Apart from that, the Blood Money activities (can be first found/unlocked in St. Denis) are free and offer a decently wide range of things to do, from simple coach robberies to more involved multi-step schemes to properly scripted heists. If you're willing to spend money (or grind up the gold ingame, which is not as bad as it looks at first), the Bounty Hunter role probably offers the most meat to it, with about a bunch of scripted "legendary bounty" missions in addition to generic generated bounty hunts. Lastly there are a fair few PVP activities, which aren't exactly my favourite but fun enough to have a go at every now and then.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Perestroika posted:

There are a some story missions you can do cooperatively, the available selection depends on whether your reputation is good or bad. Apart from that, the Blood Money activities (can be first found/unlocked in St. Denis) are free and offer a decently wide range of things to do, from simple coach robberies to more involved multi-step schemes to properly scripted heists. If you're willing to spend money (or grind up the gold ingame, which is not as bad as it looks at first), the Bounty Hunter role probably offers the most meat to it, with about a bunch of scripted "legendary bounty" missions in addition to generic generated bounty hunts. Lastly there are a fair few PVP activities, which aren't exactly my favourite but fun enough to have a go at every now and then.

Thanks! I'll have to check those out.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

omg why is this off by default

I guess I ought to be glad the option is there...I was sure they'd taken it out completely and I was all disappointed

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Anti-fresh release.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1434870/1_For_Yes_0_For_No/

quote:

1 For Yes, 0 For No is a short* science fiction visual novel about a curious but lonely artificial intelligence named Oswald. Oswald wants to know more about the outside world, but is hosted on a mainframe that limits user input to numbers only. And so, in-between pointed Yes/No questions and number-guessing games, Oswald learns about the world from you. What will you teach him?

Gain Oswald’s trust...or shatter it into a thousand pieces.

Features:
• A short story inspired by the AIs of classic science fiction tales
• Branching dialogue and secret monologues
• Twelve variations of two different endings
• Randomized number-guessing minigames
• Music by Alexander Nakarada

This is coming off of steam, and instead going to be itch.io exclusive moving forward.

https://sciaenops.itch.io/1foryes

On itch, it's free. On steam, it isn't.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

There was a Hotline Miami clone Devolver made as a joke called something like Hotline Milwaukee. I didn't play it so I don't know how long it is or if it's any good. I bet it's really short because it was in a 4 pack of games like that.

Found it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1066260/Devolver_Bootleg/

Jolo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 29, 2021

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jolo posted:

There was a Hotline Miami clone Devolver made as a joke called something like Hotline Milwaukee. I didn't play it so I don't know how long it is or if it's any good. I bet it's really short because it was in a 4 pack of games like that.

I'm picturing Hotline Miami but with the theme to Laverne & Shirley playing on repeat.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
What are some good X-Com like (gameplay wise)?

Edit: I already have Invisible Inc

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Castor Poe posted:

Battletech if you're into Mechs

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright, people were asking for a review of King's Bounty 2 and I finally feel like I've played enough of it that I can sort out some of my thoughts on it.

~ They flattened the troop curve (you can't have more than 10 members of any unit regardless of your leadership) and if a unit isn't completely wiped out you can heal them after battle for a fraction of what they would cost to re-hire. This means that the power gap between lower and higher level units isn't as pronounced as in the originals, but you wind up having to ditch them anyway because carrying a stack of 10 spearmen with a total leadership cost of 1400 isn't going to work very well once you're at the point in the game where you're at 3000 leadership.

~ No more dancing enemy armies trying to loot the stuff around them. Enemy units are stationary and have a fixed aggro radius. Overall this makes the game feel like 'Divinity Original Sin 2' where while the game isn't linear you're gated pretty hard. And in this game with its new graphics engine and over the shoulder cam loot hunting is more about finding a bunch of lootable objects with like 70 gold and 3 junk items than the original's big shiny treasure boxes.

~ Fewer units, units are sorted into ideologies rather than factions (Order, Anarchy, Power, Finesse). There are also loose groupings (Bandit, Nostrian Soldier, Animal, Undead) but those are mostly important for gear-related purposes. Order and Anarchy are opposed, as are Power and Finesse. This means that unlike the previous games you don't have to worry about not having enough troops of a given faction to form an army (Undead don't completely tank morale like they did in the previous games)

~ The talent trees are also sorted into ideologies. Not only that but you have to get X amount of 'points' in any ideology branch to unlock successive tiers. You get ideology points from finishing quests in a certain way. Quests in this game give you multiple ways to do things. (like an order way or an anarchy way, or a finesse or a power way). So you if you want the finesse ultimate talent be prepared to do all your quests the finesse style.

~ Money is a lot tighter. I've never had more than 25k gold at any given time (though I also horde items)

Beyond all this, the prognosis on KB2 is that it's the successor to a janky game series that tried to shake off its shank and fall in line with modern design sensibilities. But in doing so it lost a lot of what made it special and unique.

I'm still playing the hell out it mind you.

Thanks for the review! Think I’ll give it a pass until a sale or something. A big part of why I liked the previous games was that I could sneak around and hoover up gold and upgrades or try to sequence break, I’ll be sad to see that go.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Castor Poe posted:

Xenonauts recreates the OG games, it's an acquired taste.
Frozen Synapse series is a excellent PvP take on it.
Into the Breach is a bit more puzzle-y, but scratches the same itch.
WH40k: Mechanicus is a clone that's dripping with atmosphere, but has zero lategame (ie all your stuff is stupid OP and unfun).

Going much older, Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance 2 where the fan favorites before the 2012 reboot. Also I assume you've already played Chimera Squad.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Serephina posted:

WH40k: Mechanicus is a clone that's dripping with atmosphere, but has zero lategame (ie all your stuff is stupid OP and unfun).

Warning for this game is that after playing it you'll buy a bunch of figures and kits to paint and it'll get expensive fast.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Castor Poe posted:

TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children
Fell Seal, if you want to go more FF Tactics than XCOM
XCOM Chimera Squad, if you haven't gone past the mainline games yet

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Castor Poe posted:

I'm a big fan of Gears Tactics, even if it is a little content light. I really enjoyed its underlying gameplay and how slick everything felt.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Age of Wonders: Planetfall if you wanted the strategic layer of xcom as a 4x game.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Not trying to start poo poo, but can someone remind me why wasd is better than a controller stick for moving your character in first person? Not aiming, just moving.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

Not trying to start poo poo, but can someone remind me why wasd is better than a controller stick for moving your character in first person? Not aiming, just moving.

It's usually not, but you don't usually have a good option for stick movement and mouse aiming. So if I have to pick one thing to be worse I'll take slightly worse movement over drastically worse aiming.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mescal posted:

because theres lots of other buttons around wasd. and for stuff like jiggle peaking in fps its better i guess

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Castor Poe posted:

Wasteland 3 has XCOM tactical combat. It plays like the Shadowrun trilogy with better combat encounters though. So it isn't really an XCOM-like, but it has you covered if you like CRPGs as well.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Donnerberg posted:

Wasteland 3 has XCOM tactical combat. It plays like the Shadowrun trilogy with better combat encounters though. So it isn't really an XCOM-like, but it has you covered if you like CRPGs as well.

And if you’ve been holding off on it because Wasteland 2 was hot buttered rear end, it’s an improvement in every way on the stuff that worked and the stuff that didn’t like trap choices and design opacity has been like completely excised. I hated Wasteland 2 and absolutely love 3.

The soundtrack is also the best soundtrack I’ve heard in a game since like goddamn Hotline Miami.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mescal posted:

Because the "aiming" (mousleook) is integral to free movement in first person. No one moves in first person using only wasd or using only the left controller stick, so the phrasing of your question sidesteps the answer: that moving your pov with a mouse feels smoother and more precise than with a controller, and that movement helps you control what you do with the movement keys.

I suppose if you were strictly given the options of only wasd or only left controller stick, an analog stick is better since it would have smoother turning than wasd which would have 90 degree turns, but it's not 1995 and that's not what anyone means when they say they prefer wasd.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mescal posted:

Stick is actually better for movement. The easy granularity for speed and direction trumps the eight directional on-off WASD. That matters far less in games where you’re going full speed all the time, or harsh changes in speed and direction are useful, and becomes impractical when paired with mouse aim.

Stux is right for peeking, but I’d say stick is better for Halo style strafing. It feels like the rhythm is easier to get right with a stick rather than a keyboard.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

por que no los dos

i should hate this. why don't i hate this.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Are there pressure-sensitive keyboards or anything like that for creating the granularity of stick movement?

Edit lol whelp ^^

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I get post my controller again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

something about that is doing the escher staircase thing to my brain

what're those "towers"